Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: GODS RACE: F.O.P - Era two, Phase 2  (Read 17603 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GODS RACE: on the edge of darkness - Era two, Phase 1
« Reply #225 on: December 15, 2017, 05:44:07 pm »

Quote from: Votes

1: Det: Blue Imps
0: : Medium Imps
3: Doo, Det, RAM: Imp Pits
3: Fai, Doo, Dar: Hulk
6: hel, dar, Pir/Kyu, det, Doo, Fai: Design: The Imp-ress
3: Pir/Kyu, ros, RAM: Robusarbusto
4: RAM, Pir/Kyu, Fai, Dar: Volley Formation

Correcting the votebox to account for such, also striking out the imp pits because the imp-ress does the same thing.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:46:11 pm by Failbird105 »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
Re: GODS RACE: FOP - Era two, Phase 1.2
« Reply #226 on: December 15, 2017, 05:54:24 pm »

Just a question but, why are you voting for Hulk? Just wondering...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 15, 2017, 06:05:56 pm »

Just a question but, why are you voting for Hulk? Just wondering...
Because I feel like it would be useful to have a big brutal fighter who can do heavy damage up close. They may lack in the intelligence department, but compensation for unintelligence is half the reasoning I heard for even picking the Lich at all.

Their ability to get stronger while fighting means that they will be able to hold their own against foes even stronger than them, say if the enemy makes a unit stronger than the florans(they're very similar and the name is easier to say), with roughly equivalent weapons, now we have to spend another design or at least revision to match up, the Hulks would still be able to hold their own for a while unless a dedicated counter is made because they can grow to match.

Also I feel a sense of obligation due to being the first design I've actually written.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:13:12 pm by Failbird105 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: GODS RACE: on the edge of darkness - Era two, Phase 1
« Reply #228 on: December 15, 2017, 06:07:46 pm »

2: Det, RAM: Imp Pits
3: Fai, Doo, Dar: Hulk
5: RAM, Doo, Pir/Kyu, Fai, Dar: Volley Formation

I think volley formation is an excellent idea, as is the hulk design. Also, does anyone know where Light's name comes from?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 15, 2017, 08:00:08 pm »

I do like the idea of a hulk as our third action. A strong linebreaking unit would be extremely useful.

Volley formation is also very good, not so much for what it does, but because it's an introduction to formations. A well disciplined and ordered army working in formations will almost always overcome an unruly mob of beasts. We ought to drop a design just straight into discipline at some point. One of those research actions the GM was talking about.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 15, 2017, 08:04:09 pm »

should I just put you down for those for now then?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 15, 2017, 08:15:03 pm »

sure, why not

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 15, 2017, 08:15:38 pm »

2: Det, RAM: Imp Pits
4: Fai, Doo, Dar, Hel: Hulk
6: RAM, Doo, Pir/Kyu, Fai, Dar, Hel: Volley Formation

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:19:06 pm by Failbird105 »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 15, 2017, 08:23:54 pm »

1: Det: Imp Pits
5: Fai, Doo, Dar, Hel, RAM: Hulk
6: RAM, Doo, Pir/Kyu, Fai, Dar, Hel: Volley Formation

Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 15, 2017, 08:26:44 pm »

You guys do know the Hulk is literally two sentences long in description... I honestly feel as if more detail should go into it before we just go ahead voting for it as in another arms race it would be like asking for "a big gun that shoots fast" So, if the creator or someone else could make a longer more descriptive description that would be nice.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 15, 2017, 08:43:21 pm »

Fine, is the new version better?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 15, 2017, 08:45:55 pm »

Fine, is the new version better?
Yeah, but I am curious what mechanism you want them to grow stronger through. We could also cut that out if you want. 6 foot tall imps are pretty good for a starting force. Also would cost less.

My main concern about the growing stronger bit is that Abe will view it as an enchant that we haven't researched yet, making the design harder.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 15, 2017, 09:03:05 pm »

There was some talk about a lack of fluff in the discord for the hulk, so i wrote another version of them.

Design: Imp Hulk V. 2

The imp hulk is designed to be a line breaking unit for our army. The are related to the imps, but have several unique defining features of their own. First and foremost, they are quite a bit larger and stronger than the average imp. perfectly upright they would be almost 7 feet tall, but they have a hunched posture, and occasionally leaning forward into knuckle walking like a gorilla on thier well muscled forelimbs. They have a thicker hide as well, brown instead of red. They have exaggerated adrenal glands which makes them more difficult to use in formation, but absolutely devastating during a charge. Compared to an average imp, they have reduced intelligence as well, to help offset the cost.

In battle, they are designed to function as line-breakers. A first wave of heavily armored hulks shatter enemy formations and incite fear. This is then usually followed by a wave of fireballs and a well ordered charge by the infantry. Such shock tactics are designed to shatter defensive formations, route enemies, or create breaks in the line for our (currently non-existent) cavalry to charge through to the enemies rear ranks. 

Outside of battle the hulks are strong workers, excellent in manual labor positions and methodical work. A common profession for the hulk is farming where they act as both plow horse and farmer together. They are also known to work as lumberjacks, quarrymen and dockhands among other such professions. While not the most dexterous of individuals, thier low intelligence keeps them focused where others might get bored with a task. As long as they are treated fairly and remain calm, they are content and productive workers, just as happy moving freight as they might be breaking bones on the battlefield.

(Fake edit: looks like you already got some fluff out while I was writing this. I have enough unique features in this though that i'm going to post it as it's own design. I actualy thought about including larger claws/horns in this one as well, but decided against it. I would rather the hulks use large weapons that go hand to hand. Claws and strength may be great against unarmored units, but I want hulks to still be effective if they come up against units that are heavily armored, or just as big as they are. (or bigger) Imagine those guys using greataxes with that strength, and wearing heavy armor themselves they would be near imp-enetrable. )

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 15, 2017, 09:04:05 pm »

True, but then again what mechanism would a plant absorb darkness as though it was an actual form of energy to perform reverse photosynthesis?

That being said, I will work on something.
Also decided to add some amount of rudimentary culture to the hulks because I felt like it.

edit: and of course as I'm writing this somebody does basically what I was going to but in a different way. Also, what part of the word claws means incapable of holding weapons? Frankly I'd rather our hulks be well prepared if for some reason they don't have a weapon than make them somewhat reliant on our equipment.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:17:51 pm by Failbird105 »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 15, 2017, 09:26:06 pm »

I was thinking cost. Paying for extra big claws and a weapon is redundant when they could just have a weapon in the first place. Think of it this way. Their forelimbs can already basically function as blunt weapons when unarmed. They have an actual weapon when armed. Claws are not really needed imo.

(Also, sorry. I didn't know you were planning on writing more until I had basically already written my whole thing.)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19