Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: GODS RACE: F.O.P - Era two, Phase 2  (Read 17623 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: GODS RACE: on the edge of darkness - Era two, Phase 1
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2017, 06:16:05 pm »

currently, as i understand it, 1 uwp = 4 resources = 8 production
You need 1 worker for every 4 production with a max of 500 workers.

So a one time investment of 500 UWP for the workers means we can handle 2000 production per turn per foundry.

So we can turn 1000 UWP into 2000 uwp of equipment per turn per foundry, after an initial investment of 1500 uwp to build and staff the foundry.

In other words, A foundry pays for itself in 1 and 1/2 turns of full production.
Also, since production turns 1 raw material into 1/4 UWP, we can put in 1 uwp to get 2 uwp production instead of 8 non magical production, right?

something odd. the 1:2 rate of resources to production, but

>Every Unit of Raw Resources processed counts as a UWP for non magical Equipment, and 1/4th for magical equipment

Production dosent actualy factor into anything or is used for anything itself. Processing 1000 resources gives 2000 production, but its units processed that gives the UWP of equipment, not production. Processing 1000 units of resources gives 1000 units of UWP equipment. Production is irrelevant.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 10, 2017, 06:24:38 pm »

Decided to throw in an idea of my own.
Hulk
Dimwitted beings about six feet tall, their limbs are built thick with muscle. Much like imps they have leathery red skin, claws, and horns on their head, however their horns and claws are both longer, improved for use in direct combat. Hulks start off a good bit stronger and larger than imps by default, and their adrenal glands push into overdrive in combat, producing more and more adrenaline, enhancing their strength as they fight.
Hulks, when not under guidance, are simple brutes, despite this, they've managed to form some semblance of culture, forming small tribal groups, typically maxing out in size at ten, not counting children. Status and role in the tribe is represented via ritual scars. Their first ritual scar, applied at adulthood, goes from the tip of the nose straight upwards to the forehead, tribe leaders meanwhile have a set of spiral scars going outwards clockwise from around their eyes which meet at the center line.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:23:35 pm by Failbird105 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 10, 2017, 06:50:38 pm »

Decided to throw in an idea of my own.
Hulk
Dimwitted human sized imp-like beings. Fiends start off a good bit stronger and larger than imps as is, and only grow moreso over time spent in combat.

I think this is gonna be less expensive than just "really big guys". that being said, I'm voting imp pit, and have an idea for when we create it.
I do like this idea, as we can easily counter the intelligence lack. What are your imp pit ideas?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2017, 06:57:44 pm »

Make the pit produce extra leftover parts in addition to the imps, which can then be used to make bigger patchwork monsters with extra limbs and eyes and such.

The idea was for every certain number of imps from the pit we get a freak for free.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:00:13 pm by Failbird105 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 10, 2017, 07:01:47 pm »

Make the pit produce extra leftover parts in addition to the imps, which can then be used to make bigger patchwork monsters with extra limbs and eyes and such.

The idea was for every certain number of imps from the pit we get a freak for free.
Ooh, that sounds like an excellent revision/design inclusion.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 10, 2017, 07:22:53 pm »

Design: The Imp-ress aka, imp pits v2

The Imp-ress is an actual living creature, designed to industrialize the production of our units. It begins life in a larval form, during which it seeks out a supply of nutrients and a good location to nest. Once found, it burrows down into the ground with its food supply and begins a metamorphosis. It grows into an inverted cone shape embedded in the ground. The surface is open, like a pit, and filled with a nutrient broth. The walls of the pit are lined with utero tissue and egg cells. Imps will come to "donate" genetic material, normally accompanied with a portion of food as well, into the pit. New imps are grown en-mass along the walls of the pit until they are mature enough climb out.  Food donated to the pit is usually pulled into a smaller stomach accessed at the bottom of the pit by a tentacle like appendage where it is digested to feed the imp-ress and produce more nutrient broth for the developing imps. The imps produce this way are almost always male, ensuring that our units are always the strongest possible. Very rarely, the impress will produce a female larvae, which is then extracted and cared for by the other imps until it can burrow to become it's own pit. A well protected and fed pit can become very large, and produce a frightening number of offspring.

hereafter is fluff:

The Impress is also the basis of Imp society. A new tribe is formed when an enterprising imp gets his hands on a few of the larvae. He and his companions will set off to a new location where they protect and nurture the larvae until they mature into pits of thier own, at which point the successful imps can begin to expand the tribe. This ensures the evolution of the imps towards the most capable among them, as raising larvae on your own requires not just physical capability and success as a hunter, but good planning and awareness as well.

Different tribes were governed differently. Some leaders restricted access to the pits for only the elite few, with visits doled out as a reward for serving the tribe in some way, or earning the favor of the chieftain. While this ensured a high quality of the offspring, it's downside was that the tribe may not be the most attractive to join. Other tribes took a more communal approach, only barring those with glaring mental or physical limitation. While the imps produced tended to be of a lesser quality, outsiders were often eager to join such tribes at the possibility of pit access.

With the advent of foundries, enterprising chieftains have found a more intrinsic value of the pits. At first, they would simply trade direct access to the pits in return for arms and supplies from the foundry imps. Lately though, they have taken to creating unique "tokens" that can be traded for a visit to the pits of their tribe. With the obvious inherent value of the tokens backed up, they are soon traded for many different things such as access to animals that were captured after wandering through the portal, or entry into a particular tribe. In some places, enough tokens can even buy you the service of other imps. It is the perfect currency, backed up by the most valuable and basic need of an organism. Your value to the society is directly proportional to your ability to reproduce. The markets are open in the realm of darkness. In the shadows, capitalism stirs.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:29:08 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 10, 2017, 08:18:57 pm »

>Every Unit of Raw Resources processed counts as a UWP for non magical Equipment, and 1/4th for magical equipment

Production dosent actualy factor into anything or is used for anything itself. Processing 1000 resources gives 2000 production, but its units processed that gives the UWP of equipment, not production. Processing 1000 units of resources gives 1000 units of UWP equipment. Production is irrelevant.
I believe that the pivotal word is "processed". The production is required to "process" the raw materials into processed materials. Without the production our raw materials would never be processed.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 10, 2017, 10:37:00 pm »

Since it was suggested for me to actually post them...

Robusarbusto
Robusarbusto are humanoid plant creatures that are carnivores due to the fact that they aren't rooted to the ground like most plants are and have a kind of reverse photosynthesis (Ie eats darkness instead of light) that is quite inefficient which leads to them surviving mostly off of meat. They have been made to be Strong, but agile and while they have normal intelligence, they usually follow their instincts which are mostly violent and related to fighting or hunting and they usually they eat whatever they manage to kill, so long as it has meat anyway. They are usually about 5 feet tall give or take and their heads have two eyes and a mouth, along with petals that can grow on the tops and sides of their heads that can be any color one might expect a flower to have, kind of like hair of a sort. They also have slight control of the growth of their bodies, although its a minor form and mostly allows them to change themselves to look more like something they like. For example, if they liked the horns that Imps had for some reason, they could with time grow little horns. Although as stated, this is minor and mostly cosmetic.

In greater society the Robusarbusto generally act as hunters due to their natural instincts and talent. They do however, harbor a niche collection of craftsmen who tend towards extremes. Robusarbusto like to push known boundaries in their work, and sometimes the result is extreme beauty or intricacy of craft, but sometimes it is just turns out extremely bad. Although they themselves are plants, they do use wood and other plant based materials at times, as while they connect with plants and see them as alive, they don't really see them as properly thinking beings like them, more or less seeing them as sentient but not sapient. However with animals made out of flesh, they see those as more of a strange moving autonomous being that is fancy looking and imitates life, but isn't really life. Something that is alien to them, something that exists more to be a pest as food or as a kind of helpful machine then something that actually is alive. In simple terms, they see creatures made out of flesh like how a human would see a stone golem or a robot, and this is mostly why they are so casual when it comes to killing animals. Though that doesn't mean individual Robusarbusto can't be moved out of this mindset, just most of them currently see fleshy things in such a way. Despite what one might think due to their highly instinct based nature, in tribes of Robusarbusto, their leader is not the strongest or most skilled combatant, instead it is always the wisest one alive, which usually is also the most refrained (In other words, knows how to say no sometimes to their instincts) results in the leader being directly related to the last, although generally the ones who are both wise and competent at fighting last longer then ones that are just wise. Lastly, although the others might not like or agree with everything they say due to following their own instincts much more then their leaders, they still will begrudgingly follow orders they don't agree with most of the time.

I may make changes but for now this works, also gives a basic idea.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:06:46 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 10, 2017, 10:45:36 pm »

Also noted is that the plant people could fit into the economy by buying imps to eat, and supplying who knows what in return. So that's a note on the economy standpoint.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2017, 10:49:05 pm »

Plants that photosynthesise from darkness instead of light is cool in a world where darkness is a tangible thing, but, umm, we are darkness... Would it not be preferable if they absorb the bad light energies rather than the good darkness energies? I mean, I guess it promotes loyalty if they are dependent upon us, and they might kind of dislike the idea of exterminating the source of their food... but still, stuff that eats light sounds like exactly what we want...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2017, 10:52:22 pm »

Plants that photosynthesise from darkness instead of light is cool in a world where darkness is a tangible thing, but, umm, we are darkness... Would it not be preferable if they absorb the bad light energies rather than the good darkness energies? I mean, I guess it promotes loyalty if they are dependent upon us, and they might kind of dislike the idea of exterminating the source of their food... but still, stuff that eats light sounds like exactly what we want...
And then we could breed them to be light blast meatshields.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2017, 10:53:53 pm »

I mean, I could change it if you want but considering our home plane is basically nothing but darkness and also considering the fact I kind of doubt that they would be able to absorb a magical attack of light, at least, not without some work, it seems a bit better to make them reliant on us then to make them reliant on the one thing the enemy has. Besides, its designed to be inefficient so they mostly eat meat instead. We probably can make a light blast plantshield variant later on though if we really want and if the enemy goes down the light magic route.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:55:42 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2017, 11:31:59 pm »

i think the imp pit v2 sounds like the zerg hatchery which gives me the best hopes for it
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GODS RACE: on the edge of darkness
« Reply #193 on: December 11, 2017, 12:11:36 am »

Please do not use this, I am just putting it here for reference, so that people can bring in earlier proposals if they so choose. But we don't want to just import everything because some of them may no longer be appropriate. Like, Flame blades would be nice, but, well, they ought to be magic, so wouldn't mix well with the foundry, and we have lots of equipment right now so maybe we have more urgent things to do right now?

Creation: Volley Formation(tactic)
Quote from: Volley Formation
Our units train to move in ordered formations and attack simultaneously over an area.
By using volley-fire they overcome the problems of the low rate-of-fire and speed of fireballs. Instead of dodging a single fireball, one must dodge a grid of them forming a wall, alloing them to even be effective against vertically-mobile targets who would otherwise have no shortage of other places to be than right in the thing's path. They can simultaneously strike most of the font rank of a charging cavalry, causing an obstruction to the ranks behind, rather than knocking them down piecemeal to be easily avoided. Spears can be thrust in unison, causing opponents to stumble into one another in their efforts to avoid, or topple backwards as they resist not just a single strike, but an entire line of strikes at once. Shield-bearers train to form a consistent barrier, rather than each defending themselves, or to take a step back, then unleash a simultaneous shield-bash cross the entire line. Dagger-wielders train in striking a single opponent from two angles simultaneously... The attitude is one of heavy coordination, and inherently chaotic allies would be excluded, while enemy-spawned disruptions might be a weakness...

This is not really a thing, but I would be sad if I didn't mention it. I kind of dislike giving demons genders. I sort of don't see the point in having something alien just to make it familiar. There is nothing forcing us to have a species produced by the same species. Imps are already a species on their own merits, and could simultaneously be a form of shedding from a larger being, while a third being could spontaneously sneeze imps and there could be yet another being that is the result of an imp being decapitated then the head is immediately stuck onto one of its cleanly severed legs, which could in turn be entirely viable as a unique being that just sometimes spontaneously forms from dense concentrations of darkness that have absorbed too much energy from dying imps... I just feel as though demons shouldn't have much in the way of biology so things like genetics seem kind of strange on them. They ought to bleed and need their heads because of the basic rules of common combat(although exceptions might be possible of we spend enough...), and they really need to have hearts to give those "heroes" something to cleave out of their chests, but I envision them functioning more on intent than biology. Otherwise it is, like, they are "called" demons, but really they are just a species of upright dog with spikes an no hair... But I am cool with whatever, it is just a tiny nagging thing that I can ignore. Also, I understand that you don't want to elaborate, but do these "female" imps eat the males? I am unclear on that point. It seems like maybe they walk up to it and throw food and stuff in, but maybe they wander too close and find out that the tentacles may be naughty, but that doesn't stop them from tearing your limbs off and throwing you into a mouth that somewhat resembles a blender... Are we going to be spending imps to make imps?

I have included some things that might be votes but I was not certain, I used the first three letters of the username for brevity and consistency, but whatever. Remember that since we are doing three things we may as well vote three times!
Quote from: Votes

1: Det: Blue Imps
1: Doo: Medium Imps
2: Doo, Det: Imp Pits
2: Fai, Doo: Hulk
2: hel, dar: Design: The Imp-ress
1: pir: Robusarbusto
1: RAM: Volley Formation

Spoiler: names (click to show/hide)
Read the First Post!

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 11, 2017, 12:35:55 am »

put one on volley and hulk for votes
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19