Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: GODS RACE: F.O.P - Era two, Phase 2  (Read 17606 times)

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
Re: GODS RACE: on the edge of darkness
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2017, 12:37:10 pm »

i would like to ask if the berserk rage makes them hurt allies
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2017, 12:44:47 pm »

The Berzerk rage makes all your units within roughly 5-15 meters of the archdevil more violent, and less able to differentiate between friend and foe for several hours, leading them to charge fearlessly to their deaths, or turn on your own side if they run out of things to kill too soon.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2017, 12:54:19 pm »

whelp that a lot of loss caused by self harm.
archdevil = self losses
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2017, 12:55:43 pm »

whelp that a lot of loss caused by self harm.
archdevil = self losses
Probably not a whole lot, the horror would be much worse.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2017, 01:10:06 pm »

It sounds like self harm if we run out of enemy to kill. So if we win so hard because of the rage that we have rage left over and hurt ourselves, thats fine.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017, 01:49:56 pm »

Hmm, I think I'll go for Archdevil and Hoard

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2017, 02:32:45 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Unholy- [4] PirateJoe, Doomblade, helmacon, endlessblaze,
Bezerk- []
Horde- [5]  Roseheart, Roboson, RAM, NRDL, failbird

Lich- [4] Doomblade, RAM, Roseheart, endlessblaze
Archdevil- [5] PirateJoe, Roboson, helmacon, NRDL, failbird
Horror- []

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2017, 02:39:47 pm »

The current votecount reflects the original votes and explicitly changed votes. This does not reflect proposed changes that the votebox did not catch.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2017, 02:49:35 pm »

Yes. This votecount only reflects the official votes.

In the interest of everyone getting something they like out of this, I'll move my vote from soulless to imps. This seems like a balanced start where everyone gets something they voted for, and thus, is the best option to take.

Unholy- [5] PirateJoe, Doomblade, helmacon, endlessblaze, Roboson
Bezerk- []
Horde- [4]  Roseheart, RAM, NRDL, failbird

Lich- [4] Doomblade, RAM, Roseheart, endlessblaze
Archdevil- [5] PirateJoe, Roboson, helmacon, NRDL, failbird
Horror- []
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:58:51 pm by Roboson »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2017, 04:43:17 pm »

The archdevil is a brawler. A big effect at a single point. We are, presumably, fighting with armies here. The archdevil could be fantastic if it happens to be at the right place at the right time, but otherwise it is just a single threat that can be focused down or avoided. There is a reason why generals don't lead the charge. One guy an their elite forces with the best equipment and support can make a massive impact on a battlefield, but ultimately it is a risk. Even the best giant monster with a sword doesn't do so well when they look up and see dozens of enchanted ballista staring at them...

The lich, on the other hand, is a strategist. It plonks down free units every turn, which presumably can be revised if need be(as can the archdevil's gear once their sword can't cut through the latest magical energy shields). Extra units means a larger front, so less chance of being flanked and more chance of flanking the enemy. More troops means more reserves so you can cover your forces as they regroup.

The lich does unknown curses. These may be large-area morale drops, like an incursion of irritating insects. They might be a single-target thing, like immaterial shackles slowing down the enemy champion. They might be logistical issues, like toxic ex-rodents who like to go swimming in the other team's water supply. Or perhaps a localised effect, like a blinding spell that hits a dozen dudes... It is unlikely to be all of these things but any one of them could turn the tide of battle. Most fights end because one side breaks. making the other team want to be here less than you has decided many battles. If it can take away the devil's mobility, or reduce it from an unstoppable force to just being tougher than anything else then the likes of the devil lose their ability to be committed into the enemy lines. They are still a strongpoint that is easier to go around than confront, but it is possible to go around them. A sudden incapacitation at a single point in the line can be devastating and forms the basis of much of antiquity's tactical doctrine. Now while this is pretty much exactly what the archdevil is, the archdevil is big and very very obvious what with being surrounded by screaming loons, while the lich is a back-line force so if it can incapacitate a force it can likely do it at a time and place of its choosing with very little warning.

The archdevil is a single point of power, but also commitment. If the enemy has a single weakness, and the devil exploits it, then it can win a battle. Break the vanguard, kill the commander, harass the auxiliaries, these things can be done with a single unopposable force. But it bleeds our armies of reserves and is prone to being surrounded as our nearby forces blindly rush into any battle they can find. It is the champion for legendary victories.

The Lich is control over the battle. Creating and exploiting multiple weaknesses. It is delaying and tiring the enemy's vanguard with undead while weakening their reserves as their unsupported troops break and run. It is weakening the enemy forces who breach our lines while the reserves buy time for the broken forces to recover. It is sapping the enemy will so that a route turns into a withdrawal. It is the champion for consistently good performance.

If we want a hero who challenges the enemy champion to a duel and rips them in half with its bare hands, then the horror is the clear choice. If we want a champion that laughs at being challenged, turns their champion's legs numb, and then orders an artillery barrage onto that position while expendable undead keep them engaged, then we want the Lich.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2017, 05:23:54 pm »

Adding on to what RAM wrote, while I have played in only one arms race game so far (spires), it seems that one of the biggest advantages you can gain is versatility. What is more versatile than magic? Regardless of the minion starting set, we can gain a foothold on the magic system and have a strong base in it, as opposed to having to create everything ourselves. (It would take more designs)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2017, 07:29:56 pm »

Unholy- [5] PirateJoe, Doomblade, helmacon, endlessblaze, Roboson
Bezerk- []
Horde- [4]  Roseheart, RAM, NRDL, failbird

Lich- [5] Doomblade, RAM, Roseheart, endlessblaze, helmacon
Archdevil- [4] PirateJoe, Roboson, NRDL, failbird
Horror- []
[/quote]

I said i would switch if one of you guys moved to unholy, so here you go. This gives both sides a victory and a loss too.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2017, 08:31:43 pm »

Unholy- [6] PirateJoe, Doomblade, helmacon, endlessblaze, Roboson, RAM
Bezerk- []
Horde- [3]  Roseheart, NRDL, failbird

Lich- [5] Doomblade, RAM, Roseheart, endlessblaze, helmacon
Archdevil- [4] PirateJoe, Roboson, NRDL, failbird
Horror- []
[/quote]
*feels dirty*
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2017, 08:39:52 pm »

Eh, yeah, switch my champ to Lich

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2017, 09:02:35 pm »

Unholy- [6] PirateJoe, Doomblade, helmacon, endlessblaze, Roboson, RAM
Bezerk- []
Horde- [3]  Roseheart, NRDL, failbird

Lich- [6] Doomblade, RAM, Roseheart, endlessblaze, helmacon, Failbird
Archdevil- [3] PirateJoe, Roboson, NRDL
Horror- []
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19