Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 185660 times)

parank

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION
« Reply #1380 on: August 28, 2019, 10:25:58 pm »

Hey, new to both modding and forums, so if this is in the wrong place or a bad question, please let me know.

I've been working on alternative versions of a vanilla creature, and they didn't work until I deleted the original creature's raws and copied them into the mod text file. It uses the COPY_TAGS_FROM token, so I assume it can't fetch those tags from a creature that isn't in the same file. Is there any way to circumvent this, or will I have to include the original creature in the mod and instruct people to delete it from the vanilla raws?

Thank you, and have a good day.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: August 29, 2019, 01:38:57 am »

Hey, new to both modding and forums, so if this is in the wrong place or a bad question, please let me know.

I've been working on alternative versions of a vanilla creature, and they didn't work until I deleted the original creature's raws and copied them into the mod text file. It uses the COPY_TAGS_FROM token, so I assume it can't fetch those tags from a creature that isn't in the same file. Is there any way to circumvent this, or will I have to include the original creature in the mod and instruct people to delete it from the vanilla raws?

The issue actually seems to be that the raws filed are read/loaded into memory in alphabetical order from a to z, so creature_annelids.txt is loaded first and creature_standard.txt is loaded towards the end. But if your creature variant is loaded in creature_alpha.txt but the creature it's based on isn't loaded until creature_tropical_new.txt, then the game can't "construct" that creature variant, because the creature it's based on isn't loaded yet. You can circumvent this by putting your creatures in a file that starts with creature_zzz_(whatever you want).text. They will then almost certainly be loaded after the game has loaded their dependencies.

It's a pain in the ass for sure, but I suppose it's not possible to load all the files at the same instant, maybe there's something preventing toady from programming it so that objects with dependencies that haven't been loaded can be put on hold until their dependencies are loaded. It's like our version of a load order error you get in modding games like Skyrim or Oblivion
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 01:42:18 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

parank

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: August 29, 2019, 02:16:33 am »

The issue actually seems to be that the raws filed are read/loaded into memory in alphabetical order from a to z, so creature_annelids.txt is loaded first and creature_standard.txt is loaded towards the end. But if your creature variant is loaded in creature_alpha.txt but the creature it's based on isn't loaded until creature_tropical_new.txt, then the game can't "construct" that creature variant, because the creature it's based on isn't loaded yet. You can circumvent this by putting your creatures in a file that starts with creature_zzz_(whatever you want).text. They will then almost certainly be loaded after the game has loaded their dependencies.

It's a pain in the ass for sure, but I suppose it's not possible to load all the files at the same instant, maybe there's something preventing toady from programming it so that objects with dependencies that haven't been loaded can be put on hold until their dependencies are loaded. It's like our version of a load order error you get in modding games like Skyrim or Oblivion

Thanks to you, it's working! I really appreciate the help, it makes a lot of sense when you put it like that. Have a good one!

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: August 29, 2019, 02:19:10 pm »

I guess WOOD_TEMPLATE's WOOD tag makes the mushroom trees count as logging. I would try setting those trees to STONE_TEMPLATE material.
Or if it is the TREE tag, then I think the issue can't be helped.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thank you for the reply and advice!

A question, though: If I change the material to STONE_TEMPLATE, wouldn't that have some significant implications or side effects? For example, wouldn't this re-categorize Tree-Cap "wood" as stone? Would this change make the material mostly only usable by a Mason in a Mason's workshop?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1384 on: August 29, 2019, 02:37:11 pm »

When they're chopped down they produce logs instead of boulders, even with the stone template, so I'd think carpenters would still use them. Seems like the item type matters more than the tokens for this kind of stuff.

parank

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: August 30, 2019, 06:46:28 am »

I'm back, and I made a humanoid variant of a vanilla creature that can't jump. I've tried putting [CV_REMOVE_TAG:CANNOT_JUMP] pretty much everywhere in the humanoid's raws, but it doesn't seem to work. They still can't jump. I'm surely using the token wrong, but I don't really understand how. I'd appreciate an explanation, if a solution isn't available. Thank you.

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: August 30, 2019, 08:30:17 am »

Trying to mod craftable slings, slingstones and cloth quivers into the game:

Weapon:

Ammo:

Reactions:

I found the reactions when looking around the forum but they don't seem to work. I can spawn ammo and slings in the arena and I can order them at workshops (i.e. I did not to permit these reactions in the entity raws).
I ordered the production of all these items and this is what happened:

Errorlog:

Any Idea what I'm doing wrong? I guess the reactions are for some reason not able to find the new items they're supposed to produce?
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: August 30, 2019, 08:34:55 am »

Try this:

[PRODUCT:100:30:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_SLINGSTONES:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: August 30, 2019, 11:00:57 am »

When they're chopped down they produce logs instead of boulders, even with the stone template, so I'd think carpenters would still use them. Seems like the item type matters more than the tokens for this kind of stuff.
Yeah, the only thing that matters is the item type and the tokens. A log will be used by carpenters regardless of what it is made of.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1389 on: September 01, 2019, 05:46:47 am »

I'm back, and I made a humanoid variant of a vanilla creature that can't jump. I've tried putting [CV_REMOVE_TAG:CANNOT_JUMP] pretty much everywhere in the humanoid's raws, but it doesn't seem to work. They still can't jump. I'm surely using the token wrong, but I don't really understand how. I'd appreciate an explanation, if a solution isn't available. Thank you.
as far as I know, remove_tag must be after the "apply variant" tag:
[CREATURE:GIANT_CASSOWARY]
   [COPY_TAGS_FROM:BIRD_CASSOWARY]
   [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:GIANT]

[CV_REMOVE_TAG:CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC]

[APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION]
   [GO_TO_END]
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: September 02, 2019, 12:54:07 am »

Try this:

[PRODUCT:100:30:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_SLINGSTONES:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

Alright, I changed my raws to this and now something very perculiar is happening:
I created a new world, embarked and dug some stone. Buld a craftshop and ordered the making of
1 cloth sling
1 cloth quiver
1 slingstones (which should yield 30 stones)

now what happened:
a clothier brought cloth and made 10(!) slings!
a clothier brought no cloth and didn't make a quiver, job was still 'done'
a stonecrafter brought no boulder to the shop, didn't make any slingstones and made 0 slingstones, the job was still 'done'

I have no idea how this could be happening.

(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

parank

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: September 02, 2019, 03:08:33 am »

as far as I know, remove_tag must be after the "apply variant" tag:
[CREATURE:GIANT_CASSOWARY]
   [COPY_TAGS_FROM:BIRD_CASSOWARY]
   [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:GIANT]

[CV_REMOVE_TAG:CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC]

[APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION]
   [GO_TO_END]

Hi there, thanks for the recommendation! It isn't working, but I think I can come to terms with that considering the vanilla Hippo Man can't jump either. It's a bit of a shame, and it'd be great if I could get it working, but I'm happy enough with it. I'll keep that in mind for future modding, though!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: September 02, 2019, 03:34:38 am »

Hi there, thanks for the recommendation! It isn't working, but I think I can come to terms with that considering the vanilla Hippo Man can't jump either. It's a bit of a shame, and it'd be great if I could get it working, but I'm happy enough with it. I'll keep that in mind for future modding, though!

[CV_REMOVE_TAG] doesnt seem to work for all tags especially if your are nesting variations. If you want it to work for sure, just copy and paste the vanilla raw and make the changes you want (like making the changes from the humanoid variation) directly to the creature raw.Or make a hippo copy without cant jump and use that as the base creature to apply the variation to.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: September 05, 2019, 06:28:12 am »

What allows potash to be used as fertilizer? Is there a tag I can place on an item (guts) that allows its use as fertilizer or can this be accomplished in some other way?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1394 on: September 06, 2019, 02:29:19 pm »

What allows potash to be used as fertilizer? Is there a tag I can place on an item (guts) that allows its use as fertilizer or can this be accomplished in some other way?
Looks like hardcoded trickery on material name; no special tag on POTASH material, says the extracted raws
http://www.dfwk.ru/Hardcoded_materials.txt
Also no potash mention at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Material_definition_token
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 02:44:56 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 120