Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 185076 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #270 on: February 18, 2018, 04:37:46 am »

those tokens existed before creation sites were required

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 18, 2018, 04:42:16 am »

those tokens existed before creation sites were required

Well, then I suppose you should ignore everything I said.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 18, 2018, 03:20:34 pm »

I'm not sure, but I think that the "POPULATION" token refers to the population of the site that  created the siege, while the "POP_SIEGE" token refers to the one that is receiving the siege. So, the wiki is saying that the "POPULATION" trigger for the creation-site must be satisfied as well as at least one of the triggers for the target-site in order for the siege to be generated.

Might be totally wrong though.

Hmm, perhaps, although the description for the POPULATION token says, " civ will come to site once population at site has reached that level" so it seems like everything is being evaluated at the same site, the site that will receive the siege.

Oops, only just now saw the response, I suppose ignore my comment as well  :P

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #273 on: February 21, 2018, 05:36:17 pm »

What's the best way to mod in a steady source of stress? The social and inn and other happiness sources are way too strong,
I want 4% of population to go mad with stress after 20 people have died.

Edit: vermin bites that cause syndromes? Clouds of dust from any_mining? Bad grass that causes syndromes, how?
I have: touching animal_blood causes syndrome. touching sweat causes irritation.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:23:52 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #274 on: February 21, 2018, 06:19:15 pm »

can try to split food into needing to be prepared/cooked before being eaten, as eaten raw will give bad thoughts.
so a method to clean/prep foods (mostly meats) should be done, Raw can be eaten raw, by vermin, but not cooked; and cooked prepped food can be eaten raw, cooked, and by vermin.

Plants might be a bit different as some can be eaten raw no problem (like berries and fruits) or have some that are better when prepped (no bad thought) but eaten raw gives a slight discomfort or can only be used as a cooking ingredient.

Alter booze to have a better brewed process that actually gives the good thought, else vanilla brewed booze has a chance to give a bad thought (this stuff tastes bad, but I need booze)

lower the range of dwarf personalities to make them more susceptible to stress (0-100 to 0-40?)

other than that I'm not sure.

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 04, 2018, 07:09:42 pm »

I'm trying to implement parts of Stal's armory pack into my worldgens for dwarves but the ones that actually appear in-game seem to be randomly chosen. Not the weapons, but the helms. Specifically, I added 3 helms from Stal's pack into the Objects folder's entity_default and item_helm text files but only 1 at most shows up as available to dwarves, and it's different each time. I don't know why this is, how to change it or why doesn't seem to affect Stal's weapons.

Anyone know anything about this issue? Thanks!

Amorphage

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE] [FANCIFUL] [SLOW_LEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 05, 2018, 01:47:01 am »

Heya! So, to make a long story short, this is my first time really modding stuff/making creatures/civs, so I did a really basic version of a sorta giant race.

Good news : I stopped them from overtaking everything and killing everyone by making some edits that while not technically true to the spirit of what I had in mind, made things work a bit better.

Bad news : The population is still higher than I'd like considering what they're supposed to be like, and more importantly... they keep killing megabeasts.

like, pathologically.

From what I recall from some other threads, forgotten beasts and titans are supposed to have some sort of death-immunity/resistance in worldgen so you can see them for yourself in fort mode, but for whatever reason when i gen the world this... doesn't seem to work, and most of the time in worldgen what ends up happening is within 20-50 years in a small or smaller world 80% of all beasts are dead, including ones that normally would survive a really long time, like hydras and such.
is there any good way to manage the population of such so they'll stop killing so much or at the very least have small enough populations I stop have to worrying about my worlds getting really weird because modded race decided to wander around in the wilds and choke out like ten minotaurs?

Apologies if this question has been asked before!

Semi-related, is there any good way to reflect the concept that a creature is fairly hard to choke out/strangle/is otherwise ungodly resilient to asphyxiation, because at the moment I just slapped the nobreathe tag because I have no idea of a better way to work in 'in lore able to be okay in the vacuum of space temporarily'.

Again, thank you for your time reading this!!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2018, 05:15:33 am »

I don't think FB's neccessarily have an immunity in worldgen, most races just don't get an opportunity to attack them because they dwell underground - only dwarves really get into conflicts with them iirc.

As for megabeasts being killed off, thats what happens when you have giant, civilized races. You could lower their starting populations or reduce their size to prevent that - aside from that, not much else. Minotaurs in particular will probably still get killed off even if you reduce your race's size since they're very small by megabeast standards.

There isn't a "resistant to asphyxiation" token, unfortunately.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 05, 2018, 12:11:52 pm »

[NOBREATHE]?
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #279 on: March 05, 2018, 12:15:53 pm »

[NOBREATHE]?
Thats complete immunity to asphyxiation, not just "resistant" like what Amorphage wanted.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 05, 2018, 12:26:13 pm »

[NOBREATHE]?
Thats complete immunity to asphyxiation, not just "resistant" like what Amorphage wanted.
Oh, sorry. Didn't see that part of his post.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 05, 2018, 03:15:59 pm »

What about a recurring syndrome that adds/removes [NOBREATHE]? If it takes (for ease of math) 100 ticks to choke out, you could make the syndrome only happen every 110 ticks. You'd have a fair chance of it resetting the choke-out timer one time per choke-out only, giving it the impression of choking resistance.

Also I made a Frost Giant race with an identical problem. It turned out that the problem was that Frost Giants would stomp any FB that attacked them directly on account of being Frost Giants, and also they were raiding around the world and stomping them (and other civs) that way too. The solution for me was fine tuning their total population and population per site way down until they acted more stable in worldgen. They still kicked the crap out of attacking FB's, but other megabeasts around the world were generally safe.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:29:51 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 05, 2018, 03:58:22 pm »

What about a recurring syndrome that adds/removes [NOBREATHE]? If it takes (for ease of math) 100 ticks to choke out, you could make the syndrome only happen every 110 ticks. You'd have a fair chance of it resetting the choke-out timer one time per choke-out only, giving it the impression of choking resistance.
That's actually a good idea, although the only possible period time for syndromes is MOON_PHASE, which I suppose means every full moon.

Actually, interactions can have effect frequencies of DAILY, WEEKLY, MONTHLY, and YEARLY according to the wiki. Or perhaps it can have a self-defense interaction that gives immunity for 10 ticks but can only be used every 100 ticks.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #283 on: March 05, 2018, 07:55:41 pm »

MOON_PHASE can be on other periods not just Full Moon, just that's the default because were-wolves (beasts)

I think

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 05, 2018, 09:15:21 pm »

Hey, does anyone know if fixed temps on containers affect the temperature of contents? The wiki says they do, but it's not working for me.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 120