Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 185029 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #165 on: December 25, 2017, 12:38:54 pm »

Which position token does a position need, to allow these new mission types ?

is it [RESPONSIBILITY:MILITARY_GOALS] ?

Either that or MILITARY_STRATEGY. It could easily go either way - can't devise a mission without a man in charge dictating the goal and objectives, but you also can't perform a mission without some military leaderman coming up with the strategy and the actual orders to issue to the squad.

Looks like it might be the MILITARY_STRATEGY that's the key. Had a few positions with the MILITARY_GOALS responsibility, but it wasn't until I could create a position with the MILITARY_STRATEGY responsibility that I could create new missions.

Looks like something to keep an eye out for when creating new civilisations.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 25, 2017, 09:54:20 pm »

Is it possible to make a creature give logs when you shear it?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #167 on: December 25, 2017, 11:15:21 pm »

no, as sheared materials come off as BODY_COMPONET you can make them LAYS_UNUSAL_EGG so they will "lay" logs in nest boxes (you can have multiple of this tag to allow random-ness)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 25, 2017, 11:27:30 pm »

Display cases did not exist in the raws before the world has been created so you must edit an existing item.
Inside your save, open the item_tool.txt file.Replace the cauldron entry with this:

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_CAULDRON]
[NAME:pedestral:pedestrals]
[VALUE:50]
[TOOL_USE:LIQUID_COOKING]
[TOOL_USE:DISPLAY_OBJECT]
[FURNITURE]
[HARD_MAT]
[TILE:238]
[SIZE:4000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:6]
[CONTAINER_CAPACITY:100000]

Then open entity_default and add this to the MOUNTAIN entry.

[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_CAULDRON]
And you should be able to make "pedestrals" from rock or metal. No guarantees that it will work. As a side effect you'll have peasants cooking on pedestrals.

Found out how to DFhack in the new raws to do the shift from 0.43.05 to 0.44.02. First, backup. Then (assuming no mods) replace the outdated raw objects folder (in the save) with the new folder from 0.44.02, and type the following into the DFhack command line without unpausing:
devel/inject-raws tool ITEM_TOOL_PEDESTAL tool ITEM_TOOL_DISPLAY_CASE
I'm continuing this in the appropriate sub forum, but it would be helpful if people knew they could do this and update their saves.

Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 26, 2017, 12:12:42 am »

So I made a domesticated spider critter that produce both eggs (albeit smaller than poultry) and grows fur (because spiders tend to be furry).
I've noticed that whenever I have my shearer go through my spider population, he produce Chitin instead of yarn?

Might be you didnt add the hair material/tissue and reference them properly. Check your error log, it usually says something like "XXX Could not be found, using first material instead" if theres something wrong.

Seems like this is correct. Game couldn't find the fur and made chitin possible to shear instead.
Can you help me find what's wrong?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You need to add [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HAIR:HAIR_TEMPLATE] after the chitin materials body detail plan and i think you might also need to specify a hair tissue as well. The body hair tissue layers string only works if the hair material has been defined previously.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 26, 2017, 12:16:12 am »

What exactly does RELIGION in the context of [SELECT_SYMBOL:token:symbol] do? It doesn't seem to affect religious groups, gods and pantheons have unrelated names, and the TEMPLE token takes care of temples.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 26, 2017, 04:42:16 am »

It doesn't, SELECT_SYMBOL affects your civilisations use of names; EVIL syntax will pull out words associated to evil sphere objects (the flies of murdering civ name for instance) and slap them on to the language.

• Dwarves for instance have [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:SUBORDINATE] & [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:NEGATIVE] amongst others for instance in their entity which takes names associated with that out of the pool for use
If you want religious associations use [RELIGION_SPHERE:X] with any of the sphere presets and then they will be relevant to your religious circles, the only way select symbol would effect is to have a helping hand in naming the temple.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 26, 2017, 11:12:25 am »

So how does lay unusual eggs work, does it work with animals that give live birth? (These living wagons are quite interesting, they are milkable, and soon will lay logs)

fluffyshambler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 26, 2017, 04:02:30 pm »

It doesn't, SELECT_SYMBOL affects your civilisations use of names; EVIL syntax will pull out words associated to evil sphere objects (the flies of murdering civ name for instance) and slap them on to the language.

• Dwarves for instance have [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:SUBORDINATE] & [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:NEGATIVE] amongst others for instance in their entity which takes names associated with that out of the pool for use
If you want religious associations use [RELIGION_SPHERE:X] with any of the sphere presets and then they will be relevant to your religious circles, the only way select symbol would effect is to have a helping hand in naming the temple.

I know the select symbol tag affects the civ's usage of names. The thing I was wondering is what the religion token does, as it's listed on the wiki alongside site, civ, bridge, tunnel, etc. which affect specific things' names, but this tag doesn't seem to affect anything (as far as I've observed in testing).

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #174 on: December 26, 2017, 04:04:26 pm »

So how does lay unusual eggs work, does it work with animals that give live birth? (These living wagons are quite interesting, they are milkable, and soon will lay logs)

It doesn't effect how they give birth, that's LAYS_EGGS this just allows them to run and take a nest box for a few seconds, lay something (you can define) and then meander off. I had large beetles that would root around (making bug vermin) and would give live birth to a special caste that I would use to transform into other creatures. They had the habit of finding and hoarding small trinkets in nest boxes (LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGG IE [LAYS_UNUSUAL_EGGS:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:GABBRO])

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 26, 2017, 08:16:36 pm »

Another question for an unrelated modding endeavor, is it possible to make an interaction that creates creatures made of dragon fire, kind of like raising the dead but instead of a zombie it's a humanoid being of fire and death?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 26, 2017, 10:42:30 pm »

Dragonfire isn't a material. It's not really a thing that exists. It's an effect that happens.

But an interaction that revives things and then immediately transforms them into weird flame men with a screaming hatred for all life...? I can't see why it wouldn't work.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 26, 2017, 11:22:35 pm »

So I created a dragonfire material, and I know it needs to surround the skin, but what do I need to use to get the interaction to add a tissue layer

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 26, 2017, 11:27:16 pm »

You have to transform it into an entirely new creature.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 26, 2017, 11:39:21 pm »

So something like this? (assuming I make the creature)?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 120