Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 184971 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2017, 02:10:26 pm »

Can you change the number of initial dwarves, and migrants quantity? I find that seven are too few, and maybe to compensate that, I can lower the size of migrant waves.

(Yes, I searched this and the Fortress Mode and Gameplay Questions forums, but I didn't found an answer. Maybe because I'm bad with searches and didn't use the correct keywords)
there is a DFhack script for that. Can't remember the name.
If you are using the latest versions, you can maybe make dwarves pets of dwarves, so can buy some more to start, though they won't have skills. If you do that, and have wierd stuff happen from it, post about it on the Release Science thread.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2017, 01:52:14 am »

How exactly would I do in order to make fur grow on chitin plus making it possible to shear the fur, when it has grown to a proper length?

You can more or less steal all the relevant lines from sheep; hair is just a covering layer added over the top of everything else, its declared right there with the other materials and tissues in fhe sheep raws pretty much. Then comes yarn, and the length token at the bottom where hair is being described

You just need to explicitly add a hair material and tissue, because the chitin material template doesnt use it.

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HAIR:HAIR_TEMPLATE]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:wool]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:wool]
[YARN]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:HAIR:HAIR_TEMPLATE]
[SELECT_TISSUE:HAIR]
[TISSUE_NAME:wool:NP]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR]

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:wool:SINGULAR]
[TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[APP_MOD_NOUN:wool:SINGULAR]
[APP_MOD_RATE:1:DAILY:0:300:0:0:NO_END]
[APP_MOD_DESC_RANGE:10:50:100:150:200:300]
[SHEARABLE_TISSUE_LAYER:LENGTH:300]

Im pretty sure thats most all of whats needed to give them wool. You can of course change the name of the wool to whatevers appropriate
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2017, 01:52:03 pm »

I need some general advice on intelligent pets. I would've made a new topic for this, but I've found that new topics attract much less activity than posting in these modding questions threads (perhaps because in here it shows up in people's new replies list?)

Basically, I'm trying to make a creature called a "workbot" that can perform various jobs for a certain amount of time (perhaps a couple months?) after it's filled up with steam at a charging port, and then deactivates and has to be filled up again. (Don't worry about the charging mechanics, I've got that worked out by now.) There would probably even be several castes of workbots, for performing various jobs (haulerbot, carpenterbot,  masonbot, etc.)

I've also worked out a system for how they (and other steam components) are produced via workshop, which involves breeding. I have several questions:

• Do intelligent pets which are born in the fortress have assignable labors?
  • Do intelligent pets which are bought off the caravan have assignable labors?
  • Do intelligent pets brought by migrants have assignable labors?
  • Can I disallow enabling of certain labors completely for certain creatures?
  • Can I disable skill gain/skill rust for certain creatures?

Any help would be appreciated.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2017, 04:02:25 pm »

trying to make pigs shearable, I copied the shearing related raws into the right place but its not working.
here is what I have
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
any help?
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2017, 05:40:39 pm »

I believe you're missing the section at the end to tell the hair to keep growing daily, and the min shearable length

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2017, 05:42:31 pm »

trying to make pigs shearable, I copied the shearing related raws into the right place but its not working.
here is what I have
any help?

It looks like you're missing this relevant part of the sheep RAWs:
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2017, 06:09:30 pm »

I have updated the raws, I assume that I have to wait for the new hair to grow since it's still not working.
thanks for helping me out.
all i get is the game saying they have wool, after butchering a pig there is nothing to spin/make into cloth.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:22:29 pm by deathpunch578 »
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.

mradam5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2017, 07:29:47 pm »

is it possible to add an extra body park in a caste so only one caste has that body part?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2017, 07:43:45 pm »

yes, but make sure you add the tissues to it

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2017, 08:52:31 pm »

i think i usually just keep tissues at the end of the file right before attacks anyway to make sure

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2017, 12:41:54 am »

I have updated the raws, I assume that I have to wait for the new hair to grow since it's still not working.
all i get is the game saying they have wool, after butchering a pig there is nothing to spin/make into cloth.

Have you tried shearing it at a Farmer's Workshop? Looks like you did that, I guess. If you're okay with having to butcher the pig for its wool, you could probably add wool as an extra butchering item. Check out the raws for lizards that give them gizzard stones for an example.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2017, 01:49:59 am »

Have you tried shearing it at a Farmer's Workshop? Looks like you did that, I guess. If you're okay with having to butcher the pig for its wool, you could probably add wool as an extra butchering item. Check out the raws for lizards that give them gizzard stones for an example.
the butchering was more of a "okay I can't shear them, what if I butcher them. will it work then" so I don't know. might have fucked up somewhere
here is current raws

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2017, 02:20:31 am »

I need some general advice on intelligent pets. I would've made a new topic for this, but I've found that new topics attract much less activity than posting in these modding questions threads (perhaps because in here it shows up in people's new replies list?)

Basically, I'm trying to make a creature called a "workbot" that can perform various jobs for a certain amount of time (perhaps a couple months?) after it's filled up with steam at a charging port, and then deactivates and has to be filled up again. (Don't worry about the charging mechanics, I've got that worked out by now.) There would probably even be several castes of workbots, for performing various jobs (haulerbot, carpenterbot,  masonbot, etc.)

I've also worked out a system for how they (and other steam components) are produced via workshop, which involves breeding. I have several questions:

• Do intelligent pets which are born in the fortress have assignable labors?
  • Do intelligent pets which are bought off the caravan have assignable labors?
  • Do intelligent pets brought by migrants have assignable labors?
  • Can I disallow enabling of certain labors completely for certain creatures?
  • Can I disable skill gain/skill rust for certain creatures?

Any help would be appreciated.

^ That and also: how do I make a creature continuously release a certain gaseous material? With [SECRETION], or will that just create a contaminant?
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2017, 02:32:23 am »

Secretions can be specified as gases.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2017, 02:34:17 am »

Secretions can be specified as gases.
Yeah, but I meant, will it be created as a contaminant on a body part, or will it actually leak gas into the surroundings like some FBs do?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 120