Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 185078 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x questions thread
« Reply #285 on: March 05, 2018, 09:38:34 pm »

What about a recurring syndrome that adds/removes [NOBREATHE]? If it takes (for ease of math) 100 ticks to choke out, you could make the syndrome only happen every 110 ticks. You'd have a fair chance of it resetting the choke-out timer one time per choke-out only, giving it the impression of choking resistance.

Related experiment: I tried putting a syndrome to briefly add [NOEAT] and [NODRINK] on the generic blood template, so bloodsuckers could "reset" their hunger/thirst timers by feeding on mammals. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work, despite secondary symptoms confirming that the syndrome itself was being applied. I would be willing to wager that the same failure-to-register would occur when toggling [NOBREATHE]
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 05, 2018, 09:57:52 pm »

What about a recurring syndrome that adds/removes [NOBREATHE]? If it takes (for ease of math) 100 ticks to choke out, you could make the syndrome only happen every 110 ticks. You'd have a fair chance of it resetting the choke-out timer one time per choke-out only, giving it the impression of choking resistance.

Related experiment: I tried putting a syndrome to briefly add [NOEAT] and [NODRINK] on the generic blood template, so bloodsuckers could "reset" their hunger/thirst timers by feeding on mammals. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work, despite secondary symptoms confirming that the syndrome itself was being applied. I would be willing to wager that the same failure-to-register would occur when toggling [NOBREATHE]

Hmmm that does make it less likely that it would work. I think that it's still possible, since the eat/drink timers would be a constant timer assigned to all creatures at all times, whereas in theory whatever system controls asphyxiation is reset when say, you stop drowning, or stop being choked, etc. If NOBREATHE means you are no longer choking/drowning, in theory it would have the same effect as a human leaving the water or escaping a chokehold.

I don't know enough about the hard mechanics of that to say for sure.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 05, 2018, 10:08:42 pm »

Could you all help me? I'm trying to figure out how to make an interaction that basically uses a syndrome imbued gas work...

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 05, 2018, 10:58:02 pm »

Could you all help me? I'm trying to figure out how to make an interaction that basically uses a syndrome imbued gas work...
Is the problem that sometimes the syndrome isn't applied, even when the creature is obviously caught in the gas? Apparently inhalation syndromes only work about 30% of the time.

Also, in case someone missed my question due to being last on the previous page:

Hey, does anyone know if fixed temps on containers affect the temperature of contents? The wiki says they do, but it's not working for me.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 06, 2018, 07:59:19 am »

How to make goblins multiply at crazy pace? Can this be done mid-game?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 06, 2018, 10:57:19 am »

Your main tweak is going to be in the entity file by giving them more places to colonize and higher caps for their civ, but you can reduce the goblin growth time by changing the number on their CHILD entry - that's the number of years it takes them to become adults. removing [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] also helps.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #291 on: March 06, 2018, 05:16:44 pm »

Yeah [CHILD:1] and adjust their size to be fully grown 70kg at age 1.
Can also shift the male/female caste balance to like 15% male, 85% female to get more births.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 06, 2018, 05:32:32 pm »

is there anything stopping you from removing child state

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #293 on: March 06, 2018, 08:09:17 pm »

is there anything stopping you from removing child state
Without a CHILD or BABY tag, the creature will not breed
By that you must have at least 1 for breeding

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 06, 2018, 09:51:15 pm »

I coulda sworn they were just born as adults, like cave dragons and various other things Toady didn't want us taming.... unless the not breeding thing only applies to entities....

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #295 on: March 06, 2018, 09:53:56 pm »

populations get generated and they exist as yes adults but good luck seeing any reproduce

Sagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 06, 2018, 11:24:47 pm »

What are some common causes that don't make a creature spawn in a generated world? I have a bunch of modded in creatures that simply never appear at all. They work fine in Arena mode, but I never see any of my Megabeasts in legends mode, for instance. They all have biome and frequency tokens, so I don't see why they wouldn't spawn...

Here's an example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I can't make a modded entity use the animals with the class I assigned, which I assume is because they never spawn, but they also always use mammals even though I put in [ANIMAL_FORBIDDEN_CLASS:MAMMAL]. Literally just copied and pasted the [ANIMAL] section from the Kobold entity. Is there something else that has to be done?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:27:53 pm by Sagus »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 06, 2018, 11:49:50 pm »

[Animal_Always_Pet] seems to have mixed results for me. Whereas if you make your Jinmenken [Animal_Always_Siege] you should find sites overflowing with them (they'll also get dragged into battle, but, hey, a few less jinmenken in the world...).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 10, 2018, 08:23:30 am »

I might otherwise suggest altering their lust propensity facet (set on the creature, not a civilisation value) to be higher than normal on the creature file, so that they are more pro-active with procreation. Not that in a short space of worldgen time i've had any population issues with goblins myself.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 10, 2018, 11:20:51 am »

populations get generated and they exist as yes adults but good luck seeing any reproduce
According to http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave_dragon animals with no child tag will breed just fine, except born as adults.... although I have no idea how that works with non-egg layers or with civs....
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 120