Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 185864 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION
« Reply #1725 on: November 23, 2019, 09:14:15 pm »

How do plant growths work? Specifically when are growths harvestable from wild plants and when do growths drop off of a plant with [GROWTH_DROPS_OFF]?

For example, when would this growth be harvestable from wild plants? When would this growth drop off?

[GROWTH_TIMING:60000:119999]
[GROWTH_PRINT:5:5:7:0:1:60000:119999:2]

What about in this case?

[GROWTH_TIMING:60000:119999]
[GROWTH_PRINT:5:5:7:0:1:ALL:2]

Would those growths be harvestable between 60000 - 119999 ticks (spring to summer) and fall off at 200000 ticks (summer)? Is GROWTH_TIMING the time period that the growth is visible and GROWTH_PRINT the time period that the growth is harvestable? Does the growth fall off at the end of the GROWTH_TIMING? (assuming that it has the GROWTH_DROPS_OFF tag)?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: November 30, 2019, 08:25:02 pm »

The [ENTITY:SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES] does not have any biomes or site types. Can I make a surface entity without these tags or do non [LAYER_LINKED] entities require site types and biomes in order to spawn?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: December 01, 2019, 05:35:11 pm »

I think they do but you can try and find out what happens.
I think dwarves can pick them as soon as they appear, and they fall off (if they have the tag) and can be picked up after their growth timing expires, but I could be totally wrong.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: December 02, 2019, 05:19:04 pm »

What does the prefstring_seed prop of a unit's preferences do?
I'm working on a script to alter preferences and I'm not sure what to do with this bit of data.
Is there anywhere that these data structures are broken down with explanations?

Code: [Select]
unit.status.current_soul.preferences.prefstring_seed

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: December 02, 2019, 05:42:13 pm »

I think they do but you can try and find out what happens.
I think dwarves can pick them as soon as they appear, and they fall off (if they have the tag) and can be picked up after their growth timing expires, but I could be totally wrong.

Thanks I'll test it out

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: December 03, 2019, 03:45:28 am »

I'm working on a script to alter preferences and I'm not sure what to do with this bit of data.

Sometimes the structures include comments for entries, like here. That's one I'd also like to know for my script, I assume it's somehow used to decide which of the prefstrings of a preference to use, but I'm not sure how it's used exactly.

You might also want to hold off on making that script to edit preferences, since there's already two of them queued up to be included in the next dfhack release :P (here and here)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: December 03, 2019, 03:46:20 pm »

Sometimes the structures include comments for entries, like here. That's one I'd also like to know for my script, I assume it's somehow used to decide which of the prefstrings of a preference to use, but I'm not sure how it's used exactly.

You might also want to hold off on making that script to edit preferences, since there's already two of them queued up to be included in the next dfhack release :P (here and here)

Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to find. Looks like it's not very important what the seed is since it's just used to make a random number choice between what, 10 maybe possible pref strings?

I'm not too worried about there being better scripts to alter prefs, the one I'm trying to make is going to do something pretty specific. I'm trying to learn Lua and the df data structures, so I'm making practice scripts to mess with them. Eventually I'll try make something useful if I can figure out how.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: December 05, 2019, 11:58:05 pm »

I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to set it up, but could Dwarf Fortress theoretically be played on an original Xbox by using the hack that allows you to install Linux on the Xbox, using the Linux version of Dwarf Fortress, and then using further hacks to solve the remaining problems?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: December 05, 2019, 11:58:48 pm »

I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to set it up, but could Dwarf Fortress theoretically be played on an original Xbox by using the hack that allows you to install Linux on the Xbox, using the Linux version of Dwarf Fortress, and then using further hacks to solve the remaining problems?
Someone needs to try to do this FOR SCIENCE.
pug

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: December 07, 2019, 02:38:47 pm »

How do I get a race I made to stop making weapons out of this? (it's supposed to be purely a building material)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
pug

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: December 07, 2019, 04:14:14 pm »

Try removing max-edge?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Klip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: December 07, 2019, 04:20:23 pm »

What would be involved in making snakemen's(and just snakes too I guess) tails usable for wrestling and could I give it a buff since it would be a much larger and stronger limb?

also is there a way I could link upper body with strangulation or crushing to imitate constriction if the pressure is strong enough?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: December 07, 2019, 05:14:39 pm »

What would be involved in making snakemen's(and just snakes too I guess) tails usable for wrestling and could I give it a buff since it would be a much larger and stronger limb?

also is there a way I could link upper body with strangulation or crushing to imitate constriction if the pressure is strong enough?
try adding [LIMB] to tail in body default. The buff would have to be in the actual tail attack on the creature.

No, but you could try to add a lung paralysis contact syndrome to the tail attack.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: December 07, 2019, 05:17:08 pm »

If the snakeman is lying down they could use their tail already to wrestle, but not while standing up. If you rename the tail to upper tail and add a "lower tail" with the limb tag that should qualify as a wrestling part. The torso I don't think can be used. Something shouldn't be both a limb and a torso part simultaneously iirc.

You can make the tail more powerful by increasing it's relative size. There should be a token for that, I can't recall what it is right now I'm at work... Check the wiki.
I make Spellcrafts!

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: December 07, 2019, 07:30:51 pm »

How would I go about adding patches of hair to specific  parts of a creature? I'm building a custom creature and I want the back of the head, upper and lower bodies to have fur as well as patches on the forearms and the whole of the lower leg. The creature parts are all from body_default.txt

And if I wanted to make a caste that had slabs of rock attached to the same places, what would be the best way?
Author of Fantastic Fantasy Fortress (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180748.0)
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 120