Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82183 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Summer 1965 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #1065 on: January 25, 2020, 04:47:22 am »

The bit about magmatite only being for power light and heat is a jab at a discussion had in discord. I don't expect that to truly be a limit if we later want to use it for something else. Unless waffles actually takes offense at that, but I don't think he will.

Anyway, I think I'll vote for the power source this turn. seems like we can afford it and once we have it there are so many things we can do.
Also: M-barrier is in no way a revision. That is design material. Not a bad one, but a design.

Quote from: votebox
Ravenmind-S Thunderbolt (1)  TricMagic
M-LEG (1): Andrea

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 25, 2020, 09:10:00 am »

Spoiler: ignore (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 25, 2020, 10:22:39 am »

Shard TALON

While observing TALON firing under high speed cameras, our scientists discovered something peculiar. Certain parts of the magmagel appeared to energize without the laser ever hitting them, something that baffled our scientists. Detailed observations by the DUC have discovered that this is just one of the unusual features of magmacite. Within the structure of molecular magmacite, electrons will form quantum bonds, causing them to share essential characteristics across space. Since electrons travel freely between atoms that are a part of a crystal, these quantum pairs can end up being part of different magmacite molecules. Then, if one of the molecules gains or looses energy, so does the other.
Normally, this is just a cause for unusual waste heat and spontaneously detonating ammunition. However, if we carefully grow a magmacite crystal, we can ensure that the bonded quantum pairs end up daisy chained throughout the entire molecule. In that case, each crystal will posses multiple quantum bonds, each shared with a different crystal, and power can be easily exchanged through this bond.

The Shard Talon is the result of these theoretical investigations. We've set up the crystal bonds in a tree structure. The root of the tree is the firing crystal, and it gathers the power that flows upwards through the tree from the capacitors. This gives us 2 key advantages .
1)  Overload conditions are only reached in the firing crystal, keeping danger and heat to a minimum in the fuel tanks.
2) We can introduce a physical seperation between the ammunition reserves and the firing crystal, protecting most of the weapon from heat and possible damage.

The resulting Shard Talon is thus a a relatively odd looking bird, with just a single exposed firing port and seemingly no connection to it's ammunition reserve, which is secured behind a simple heatshield. This redesign allows us more freedom in how to integrate the weapon in various emplacements and vehicles, improves it's stability, heat resistance and robustness, and could have important implications for future integration.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 11:07:21 am by 10ebbor10 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 25, 2020, 10:30:51 am »

Ravenmind-S Thunderbolt : (1) TricMagic
M-LEG :(1) Andrea
Shard TALON : (1) TricMagic

I'll continue to say, DOWN with the METEOR! Better Talons means better Firestorms. Which means dead METEORs, given Talon fire is the only other thing that took it down for a while.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 25, 2020, 11:05:10 am »

M-LEG :(1) Andrea
Shard TALON : (2) TricMagic, Failbird
Yeah, I thinl I like this

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 25, 2020, 11:05:42 am »

M-LEG :(2) Andrea, Madman
Shard TALON : (2) TricMagic, Failbird
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 25, 2020, 12:53:15 pm »

M-LEG :(3) Andrea, Madman, Failbird
Shard TALON : (1) TricMagic,
Having had time to think about it, yeah, some sort of power source is... honestly pretty important at this point.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 25, 2020, 02:21:08 pm »

Why? That won't take down the Meteor, and that thing is not only Prep work, but changing something that won't have any effect on the other issue of the heat. Rails need a lot of ICE to keep going last I checked.

It probably doesn't help it attempts to power a high-grade reactor.

As well, Railstations are often powered by Solaris when applicable. Why not make the M-LEG an attachment chamber rather than putting it into the thing directly? Plus, such a chamber could also be used to power Talons and other devices.

The Shard TALON gives us a weapon that can take down the Meteor thanks to the upgrades, and will likely be integrated into the Firestorms if the roll goes well.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 25, 2020, 02:27:20 pm »

Shard TALON : (2) TricMagic, Powder Miner
m'aerospace

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 25, 2020, 02:41:28 pm »

I'll note the listed power source could just be placed in a cruiser design we do to power it. Maybe a Space Station we can use to gain Region Rating on the moon.

Granted, I think the Starknights about to go down a level, so we will be at 6 STU with Angel. So a Space station for better expansion, or tying M-LEG to some sort of mobile...

Honestly, a Space Cruiser is sounding pretty good.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 25, 2020, 02:56:21 pm »

I should note that when I got the idea beyond the Shard, the idea was that it would be a precursor to distant wireless power transmission. Once we establish that we can link magmatite crystals, our equipment only needs to bring a crystal linked to a power plant way behind, rather than generating its own. This comes at an advantage of weight, complexity, safety and no waste heat.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 25, 2020, 03:20:06 pm »

MAGMA has Geothermal Power(if I remember correctly), so we don't need yet another power source right now.

I was thinking of an improvement to our communications myself. Since Quantum Links are established, make something that uses those and N-Space to send communications through. Would also boost the control of Serfs and Haunters to Wireless levels, since a direct connection can be attained.

This in turn means GATE can be Decomplexed. With being able to control Haunters that enter, and Minds stabilizing N-Space, Human-possessed Haunters could exit the GATE, as well as explore and fight in N-Space.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 25, 2020, 03:23:24 pm »

Shard TALON : (3) TricMagic, Powder Miner, 10ebbor10

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 25, 2020, 04:09:48 pm »

Granted, I think the Starknights about to go down a level, so we will be at 6 STU with Angel.
Actually not; the decreased expense of the Starknight has ALREADY been accounted for in our STC; I am not sure why that has been done while costs have not yet been dropped to reflect the imports.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 25, 2020, 04:14:23 pm »

M-LEG :(2) Andrea, Madman
Shard TALON : (4) TricMagic, Powder Miner, 10ebbor10, Failbird
I can get behind what's being said about the Shard

Also, yeah the M-LEG isn't exactly a revision tier thing, thinking about it.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74