Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82374 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1963 - Design Phase)
« Reply #555 on: August 05, 2018, 04:10:28 pm »

Yeah even I'll admit that the Firedrake won't be THAT useful in the mountains. However, I feel like writing, have a special-forces design meant to follow Brainwave:

Quote from: Well, if at first you don't succeed and lose all your limbs in the process...
ME-I-63 'Immortals'
You know them already. There are but a few of them so far. Experiments, tests. They have been successful. The Immortals---crippled soldiers who rise to fight again, and again, and again. Now, there will be more.

The DUC has perfected a chemical that, if pumped into the skull and kept circulating, will provide oxygen and energy-bearing chemicals to the brain through one of their Brainwave access points. It is basically like blood, except it's substantially more sanitary than blood and thus doesn't risk infecting the brain. In the field, grievously injured soldiers can now be saved, for a time. The chemical is named Ambrosia, after the food of the Greek gods that confers immortality and health to the consumer.

A soldier who suffers something simple, like a severed spine which stops breathing and/or heartbeat, can receive a spinal infusion of Neurogel to repair the damage and be sent on their way. Missing limbs can receive new electronic limbs, basically versions of the original Electrogel hand using a Neurogel signal instead of actual hand movements. These limbs are simplistic and not much effort was invested in them, so the users may not qualify for continued service...yet, anyway. Soldiers that are permanently crippled, though, that suffer damage that we can't repair with a bit of metal and Neurogel and time who want to get back in the fight regardless of their condition...they are the true Immortals.

Vengeful, sometimes. Angry, often. Such emotions fade before training is finished, though, leaving only the hardened edge of trained soldiers who almost cannot die. Entombed in modified Grizzly suits with reservoirs of Ambrosia to keep the operators alive through any damage save an actual headshot, CLAW turrets instead of "heads", a smaller torso with more armor, thick electrical insulation around the vital parts (made possible without problems thanks to the remarkable amount of space freed up when the soldiers have fewer limbs (and/or fewer internal organs) than is standard, and more motors, refined arms carrying more munitions of every sort, such Immortals are nigh-unkillable by any means short of tank gun. And thanks to their enhanced Brainwave systems and extensive training, these soldiers can make use of more cameras, tighter control of their improved Grizzly muscular systems, and incredible inter-unit coordination to deal with even the toughest of threats.

And if you shoot one, you'd better hope you hit the head inside the suit, or you've done nothing but given the Immortal one more reason to fight another day.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:31:38 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 05, 2018, 04:25:03 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
(2) ME-EAP-63 "Skyranger": FallacyofUrist, Piratejoe
- (1) but rename it ME-EAP-63 "Steel Rain": Piratejoe
(1) ME-EAP-63 "Firestorm": Andrea

I think I'll go firestorm for now. It is built for bombing, so it should do that better. It doesn't need to land from suborbital then immediately go back to space again, making it simpler. Still opens space.
If we do a space design now, revision probably should be a spy satellite or similar to drop in GEO to gather continuous intelligence.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 05, 2018, 04:32:44 pm »

(1) ME-DNI-63 "Brainwave": Madman

Shall we actually make soldiers capable of standing up to theirs one-on-one, via superior teamwork instead of superior individuals?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 05, 2018, 04:34:03 pm »

Shall we actually make soldiers capable of standing up to theirs one-on-one, via superior teamwork instead of superior individuals?
Sure, although, aren't they the communists? I'm pretty sure I didn't join the communist side.

(2) ME-DNI-63 "Brainwave": Madman, Maximum Spin

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 05, 2018, 04:35:53 pm »

Yeah, they are. But this isn't about communism, it's about capitalist efficiency if you like.

We abandoned the old "let the champions duel and then the losing champion's side just goes home" method millennia ago for a reason, after all.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 05, 2018, 04:55:50 pm »

(3) ME-DNI-63 "Brainwave": Madman, Maximum Spin, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 05, 2018, 05:47:50 pm »

A few designs just in case the others don't pan out.

ME-GL-63 "Blast Shield":
What if... we could merge a shield and a weapon together? What if... we could create a weapon-shield?

The Blast Shield is a shield that doubles as a weapon, or a weapon that doubles as a shield. We've integrated the Bear Armor's metal slab shield with... well, any other weapon. The CLAW. One of our autocannons. The ICE Thrower. A newly developed rudimentary grenade launcher. Our mortar. The Blast Shield combines the metal slab shield with any other infantry weapon to create a device that both protects and fires shots.

This is a bit easy for a design, so we made some other adjustments. When the Blast Shield is hit with an electrical attack, a rubber coating on the parts where the Bear Trooper grips the Shield and a metal spike on the bottom that can be driven into the ground to ground the electricity protect against the electrical burst.

That's also easy, really. Here comes the third and final innovation. The MagShield. SEEMs are good at aiming. So let's make it harder for their bullets to get where they were aimed. The MagShield tech we use uses a set of powerful electromagnets to create a magnetic field that both propels bullets fired by the Blast Shield at higher velocities and causes enemy bullets to deflect to the side.
~~~
ME-MRL-63 "Flock Launcher":
Aratam has been beating us in artillery for a while. That changes now. We're replacing our Sarukh with something that can shoot more, shoot further, shoot faster, shoot deadlier, shoot smarter, and deploy propaganda.

The Flock Launcher is a greatly improved rocket launcher. The Sarukh has a 4x2 rail array to fire rockets. Let's fire more. The Flock Launcher fires a whole flock of rockets using a 4x4 rail array. 16 whole rockets, which can all be fired at once.

We've adapted the old ICE Rockets to fire further. Aircraft generate lift using wings, why can't rockets use the same effect? Every rocket fired by the Flock Launcher has a set of four wings that act to improve stability and hence accuracy, but also generate lift which allows the rockets to stay in the air longer, enhancing range.

Deadlier? Yes please. You see, the Flock Launcher rockets use the same WAR system that the Shrikes use. Each Flock rocket can configure its warhead for maximum damage against its selected target.

Smarter? Of course. You see, the Flock Launcher can operate on the orders of a Birdbrain to strategically select targets. A Flock Launcher barrage can effectively act as a bombardment of precise Shrike missiles. There are two options to command the Flock rockets. Either a nearby Blizzard can use its Birdbrain to designate targets manually, or a special Flock Leader rocket can be fired which carries a compressed Birdbrain instead of a warhead. The Flock Leader then can autonomously select enemy targets for destruction by its fellow birds(then hit an enemy itself with pure blunt force). Just for fun, we've programmed the Flock Leader rocket to specifically target SEEMs for its own kinetic impact. Beat that.

I did mention propaganda. As a form of psychological warfare, Flock rockets can be loaded with a large canister of leaflets to scatter over an area. Leaflets which will carry our propaganda, including the following message:

"If our rocket was loaded with ICE, you would be dead right now. We have mercy, unlike your leaders. If you defect to our side, we will greet you with open arms and a free bowl of ICE Cream. Join Mereth today. For freedom."
~~~
ME-MAG-63 "Ubergun":
So we need to destroy the enemy's defenses. At first we had the idea to make some big artillery guns and call them superguns. Massive things capable of firing across battlefields and then some. Then we decided that wasn't capital M Mad enough. So we designed a bigger gun. It just kinda scaled until we ended up having an artillery cannon so big it could fire from MAGMA to Aratam's Hub. We would love to demolish that thing, but we can't really do anything about the civilian casualties. So we tabled that possibility for now. The Ubergun, as we're calling it, is still plenty useful for bombarding any enemy position we know about.

Such a big gun needs an unconventional propellant. Like... none at all. This would seem crazy, but we've developed an alternate means of propulsion: electromagnetism. We call it a Magnetic Acceleration Gun for a reason. Powerful electromagnets are used by the Ubergun to propel a massive metal-and-high-explosive round at absurd distances and velocities. The use of electromagnetic propulsion also prevents early detonation of the explosives inside the Ubershell. By massive, how massive do we mean? Massive enough, that's what. So massive that nothing short of the Ubergun could fire it. Massive enough that the sheer force of impact sets the explosives off. The sheer force of impact of having the shell descend from basically outer space. Yes, that's right. The Ubergun fires shells so high they go into space before coming back down on the enemy.

But how do we power the Ubergun? A very good question. We've taken advantage of MAGMA's depths here. MAGMA goes so deep that we can pump down water, which turns into steam in the depths, which rises and turns wheels, generating power... then the steam condenses back into water which goes back down again... we've built a power plant based on the "Principle of Free Energy" as our geologists are calling it. On top of powering the Ubergun, it also powers all of MAGMA.

The Ubergun will let us devastate enemy positions with ease. And we'll get the massive cred of being the first to develop a superweapon!

Quote from: Votegun
(1) ME-EAP-63 "Skyranger": Piratejoe
(3) ME-DNI-63 "Brainwave": Madman, Maximum Spin, Happerry
(1) ME-MAG-63 "Ubergun": FallacyofUrist
Let's do something cool.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:20:22 pm by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 06, 2018, 07:36:05 pm »

(2) ME-MAG-63 "Ubergun": FallacyofUrist, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 06, 2018, 08:03:29 pm »

(3) ME-MAG-63 "Ubergun": FallacyofUrist, Happery, Tyrant Leviathan

Really big gun, should do the trick.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 06, 2018, 08:55:12 pm »

(0) ME-EAP-63 "Skyranger":
- (0) but rename it ME-EAP-63 "Steel Rain":
(4) ME-MAG-63 "Ubergun": FallacyofUrist, Happery, Tyrant Leviathan, Piratejoe
Not going to make wolf armour, least not today. Still, like the idea of basically Schwerer Gustaving our issues, so lets do it.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 06, 2018, 09:34:38 pm »

Individually, we are weak. But together? Together, we are unstoppable.

Quote from: Voteteam
(3) ME-DNI-63 "Brainwave": Madman, Maximum Spin, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 06, 2018, 11:31:45 pm »

(4) ME-DNI-63 "Brainwave": Madman, Maximum Spin, Jilladilla, andrea

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 07, 2018, 01:07:53 am »

The Ubergun doesn't play to our strengths. It's kinda boring- just a big gun. I think it might be time for Brainwave.

(5) ME-DNI-63 "Brainwave": Madman, Maximum Spin, Jilladilla, andrea, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Kpkdktswnw2018

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 07, 2018, 11:50:26 am »

Do Aratam use red painted armor and vercicles?
If yes why not use laser turrets with Birdbrain equiped with simple long range optic sensors focused on red colour and radar for antiair selfdefense? Something like turret of 2K22 Tunguska or its precedessor on some instant concrete base.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:53:11 am by Kpkdktswnw2018 »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 07, 2018, 12:30:43 pm »

The Ubergun doesn't play to our strengths. It's kinda boring- just a big gun. I think it might be time for Brainwave.
It's a really really really big gun. Of mass destruction. I don't think Brainwave will help us shatter defensive positions. I mean it's neat and everything, but I don't think it's what we need. Heck, if it's coordination to kill SEEMs we're after, we could probably do some kind of anti-SEEM coordination training in a revision.

Do Aratam use red painted armor and vercicles?
If yes why not use laser turrets with Birdbrain equiped with simple long range optic sensors focused on red colour and radar for antiair selfdefense? Something like turret of 2K22 Tunguska or its precedessor on some instant concrete base.
Easy enough. I was thinking of doing a sort of sentry turret as a revision, actually. Combine the Birdbrain and a CLAW or autocannon.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 74