Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82361 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1961 - Design Phase)
« Reply #525 on: July 17, 2018, 11:15:28 pm »

ME-GWM-63 'Firedrake'
Since the invention of the Gatling gun, people everywhere have wondered: "What would happen if you rechambered this for a long 20mm cartridge, motorized the turning system, and added a hideously powerful incendiary and a chemical capable of freezing things? AND THEN, what if you stuck it onto a 3-meter-plus tall metal monstrosity and told it to go kill things?" OK, maybe they haven't actually wondered EXACTLY that, but still. The Firedrake is a Grizzly arm attachment. Specifically, it is a 20mm 12-barrelled rotary autocannon, capable of firing obscene numbers of bullets from an obscenely large magazine at pretty much anything you want to cease existing. The firerate alone is enough to chew through tank armor given enough time, but the largest innovation is in the projectiles. In them is what the DUC described as "a sufficient amount" of an incredibly volatile mixture of the nastiest chemicals the DUCs have ever gotten their hands on, a few ounces of which can burn through a tank and the concrete floor beneath it. We're not actually sure what's in there because the DUC-to-Sane People Liason had a fatal heart attack in the middle of the list. We think it included "chlorine trifluoride" a. And frankly, we don't want to know. We've decided to call this new horror FIRE: Fluoride Incredibly Reactive Exothermic, in honor of the way it reacts with everything to create quite the exothermic result.

As an added bonus, FIRE can be used in any weapons that use warheads (Sarukh, autocannon, Grizzly cannon, naval guns, bombs and Shrikes), because it's just another type of warhead. But more deadly, because DUC was bored since we've given them so little to do. Or so they said...

So the main thrust of this design is obviously FIRE. Slapping a 20mm rotary autocannon on a Grizzly is just for fun. Oh, and the ability to melt tanks. Did I mention that this should be capable of melting those pesky tanks? Plus, with Bear Troopers carrying 20mm autocannon, they will ALSO enjoy the power of using large amounts of FIRE to dispose of our enemies, though without the sheer insanity-induced stupidity awe-striking power of the rotary.

I rewrote the Firedrake into this when I realized that, what with the enemy's new body armor, a laser is probably not going to cut it. It certainly won't deal with tanks. However, THIS might just do the trick for both of them, and allow us to move the Plains line back away from our capital.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Summer 1963 - Design Phase)
« Reply #526 on: July 18, 2018, 09:51:52 am »

Hmm. I think lasers would deal with their body armour, at least. Would a plasma-based weapon be better? A 'blaster', sort of thing, which shoots bundles of plasma that explode on impact.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 18, 2018, 10:01:02 am »

Well.....plasma is messy. It is low-density but very hot, of course, and it is also almost always ionized, IIRC. This means you'd have to fire it in some sort of container, possibly magnetic in nature, that breaks on impact. This would result in something probably resembling an explosion, even with a small amount of plasma used.

You can turn something into plasma by pumping enough electricity into it, so that probably won't be much of an issue for us. Containment will rely on something capable of resisting the heat of a plasma, that might be an issue unless we invest some work into magnetic containment, which is hard to do. But of course, if we can magnetically contain plasma then we'll be very close to unlocking nuclear fusion as a power source.

I suspect that plasma will be much harder to harness than the laser, but more effective for it. Right now I'd vote for the Firedrake to solve our antiarmor problems, at least partially. Follow that with a jet revision to carry lots of missiles and we might be in pretty good shape.

Yes, plasma would work better than a laser, because it doesn't matter if you're armored so long as there are gaps in it. Also, the gas you turn into plasma can be completely inert and contained within some form of casing that is capable of heating the gas within to a plasma, and also containing the plasma during/after firing and until impact.

With the laser, you either have to hit something unarmored or have enough raw power to melt the armor. And their body armor is able to partially resist 20mm cannon fire, so that's going to be less than easy to pull off. If we don't do Firedrake/something else that provides a chemical solution to our problems, we should either make ICE cannon rounds or increase the explosive power of our 20mm HE rounds, so the blast waves can kill instead of the projectiles.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 18, 2018, 10:40:22 pm »

Should be implicit, but whatever.

Quote from: CatscatscatscatscatsCATSmaskscatscatscatscatscratchfevercatsmasksthendisneverthendisneverthendcatscatscatscatscatstcatsucatscatscatslcatscatscatscratchfeveralsovoteboxcatscatsmaskscatstheendisnevertheendpmaskscatsCATScatstigersfatsbatsscratchfeveracatsbatscatsbatsmatsbatscatscatcataristocrat
(1) ME-LRMA-63 "Hailstorm": FallacyofUrist

Hey Spin, I'm calling in my vote favor. I mean it's not a cat related design but that's what you want, right?

Seriously, this is something we should do. Even if it ends up Very Expensive, this could still basically stomp Torches, enemy vehicles, and... well... everything. Could also help the Blizzard's Shrikes.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 18, 2018, 10:50:38 pm »

Hey Spin, I'm calling in my vote favor. I mean it's not a cat related design but that's what you want, right?
I thought you wanted me to vote for catgirl assassins, this isn't catgirl assassins. I might even have voted for this anyway. Well, now you'll never know, will you.
Quote from: votevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotevotebox
(2) ME-LRMA-63 "Hailstorm": FallacyofUrist, Maximum Spin

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 18, 2018, 11:39:12 pm »

Quote from: votebox
(1) ME-CLAW-63 "Clever Laser Augmented Weapon": Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 19, 2018, 03:57:04 am »

Alright, so, here's that plasma weapon I was talking about.

ME-PAW-63 'Plasma Accelerator Weapon': Our troops have complained that the enemy is too hard to kill, especially given their new armour. They appreciate their own cool armour, but they'd really like some cool guns to go with it. Fair enough. Unfortunately, what we came up with is not cool, but rather extremely hot. Still, they should like it.
The origin of PAW occurred during DUC experiments with Magmatite. In their usual manner, they threw every chemical they could get their hands on at it to see what would happen. One of these was a prototype for 'Electrogas'. When the Electrogas came into contact with the Magmatite, an interesting thing happened- the gas clustered around the Magmatite in a most unusual manner, until they sent a spark through the gas, whereupon the lab was engulfed in a fireball. Several chemists were seriously injured, which is always a sign that the DUC is on to something.
After some further experimentation, and messing around with chemical compositions, they managed to make something usable.
What we have named the PAW is a fairly large weapon that utilises the unusual properties of Magmatite to launch bundles of 'plasma' at the enemy at considerable velocities. The weapon is loaded with what resemble large conventional cartridges; in a way, they resemble them mechanically. The back of the 'cartridge' is a canister of high-charge Magmagel, which is indeed used to power the propulsion of the 'bullet', which is a small pellet of Magmatite coated in a thin shell of lead, surrounded by high-density Electrogas. On being loaded into the weapon, the front of the cartridge opens up to release the pellet and gas into the barrel; the Electrogas naturally clusters around the Magmatite pellet. Then the Magmagel charge is used to power a series of magnetic rings (also containing Magmatite alloys, for added efficacy), which propel the Magmatite pellet down the barrel.
Just before leaving the barrel, a small spark is run through the Electrogas. This causes it to release all free electrons, which are attracted to the Magmatite pellet. Fortunately, the thin lead shell prevents the now plasma-fied Electrogas (Electroplasma?) from coming into contact with the Magmatite, as this has been identified as causing the Magmatite to release all its energy to the plasma, which denatures it, releasing the plasma from its confinement- resulting in the now crowded and energetic plasma exploding outwards in a most destructive manner.
The pellet, which is very small and weighs considerably less than a conventional bullet, has been accelerated to very high speeds, several times faster than a regular bullet. Even targets with supernatural reaction times will have difficulty dodging it. On impact with a solid target, the lead shell breaks, exposing the Electroplasma to the Magmatite within, instantaneously causing the aforementioned reaction, to the extreme detriment of the target's structural integrity.
The PAW is of about the same size and weight as the Sorraia, and although the ammunition is larger- more similar to that of an autocannon- it still comes in belts or boxes, and is fed into the 'chamber' by an electric motor. Bear Troopers should easily be able to carry a PAW, giving them serious armour-piercing-explosive firepower. A larger version for mounting on vehicles (such as Grizzlies and Blizzards) shouldn't be too hard to put together either, although it is not the main priority (and mounting a regular sized one might be more effective than a Velociraptor anyway).
Due to the Magmatite ammunition (albeit containing only small amounts) and the Magmatite-alloy magnets, the cost is expected to be too high for all our troops to be equipped with PAWs at this time, but those who do have access will surely appreciate the massive improvement in firepower.

Which I would expect to be a step harder than the CLAW, but correspondingly more powerful. In fact, if we did the PAW, I would expect us to need to use our revision to fix it for most rolls. Still, it might be worth considering.

Anyway, I dislike the Hailstorm, since the main improvement- adding more Shrikes- would be a revision. The GOFAST-M is nice, but we are already faster than them, and the predictive aiming, whilst likewise nice, shouldn't be necessary since it would only be needed versus aerial targets, of which there aren't very many, meaning the increased number of Shrikes would deal with them anyway.

For now, I'm going to vote for the CLAW- which I expect to have better armour-penetration than our existing weapons-, though I could be persuaded to vote for PAW instead, or possibly even the Firedrake (although I'd rather do something more exotic- we have Magmatite now, we should use it to our advantage).

(2) ME-CLAW-63 "Clever Laser Augmented Weapon": Happerry, NUKE9.13

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 19, 2018, 05:23:33 am »

Magic-8

This peculiar ball contains a tiny computer, whose sole point it is to make a prediction of the actions of nearby Aratime psycho-commandos. The prediction is utterly useless, and in effect often negative. However, because the prediction is madd,eit changes the future, which changes the action of the commando, which changes the prediction. The resulting chain-effect renders future vision useless.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 19, 2018, 06:56:27 am »

(2) ME-CLAW-63 "Clever Laser Augmented Weapon": Happerry, NUKE9.13
(1) ME-GWM-63 'Firedrake': Madman

I think the CLAW won't have enough firepower and doesn't solve the tank problem even if it works well (I mean, maybe it would solve it, but that'd require us to be turning into the Imperial Guard but with power armor, which is probably not a good idea). Hailstorm is BEGGING to be too expensive to help us, it'd be far better to do a minimum-cost aircraft with maximum payload, for ground attack only. And when I say minimum cost I mean *minimum*, like downgrading straight down to a propeller plane capable of carrying half a dozen of our missiles or so.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 19, 2018, 07:39:41 am »

So, hang on, for some reason I thought the Firedrake was a regular AC, but reading the design again, it's purely a gatling cannon for the Grizzly, with FIRE available for warheads? That doesn't help with our main problem of weak infantry weaponry, or our lack of long-range firepower. We need to either give the Grizzly a reliable way of killing Glaives from a long distance, or give our infantry a weapon capable of going toe-to-toe with the Tesla Rifle. The Firedrake does neither.

Also, what do you think about PAW?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 19, 2018, 03:59:52 pm »

Um, yes. It's a Gatling-style gun for the Grizzly that ALSO provides FIRE to every other gun that presently carries a payload....i.e. the 20mm Velociraptor. We no longer HAVE a weak infantry weapon problem since all our infantry can use 20mms or ICE Throwers, and the Firedrake will be capable of killing Glaives. Just because it spins doesn't mean it's inaccurate---if a jet flying a high-speed high-angle dive from a thousand meters up or so can nail tanks with enough 30mm fire to kill them, we can manage to walk the Firedrake onto enemy tanks from the same distance on the ground, or longer since the Grizzly is a very stable firing platform.

Also, we don't need to go toe-to-toe with the Tesla Rifle if our armored support has weaponry capable of annihilating every infantryman within a mile of its position. I did consider a revision to make it a 7.62 or 5mm Bear Trooper weapon though, for kicks, giggles, and that Fallout "lunatic in power armor with FAR too many bullets" feel.

I feel like PAW might be too hard to pull off right now. It's inventing a new substance and a new quality of Magmatite all while taking what is probably the world's first foray into plasma weaponry. If we want to do that we should probably start with a railgun or coilgun system to make use of the magnetic properties of the material.

EDIT: And it adds FIRE to all our weapons, which can only really be a good thing, if the enemy ever gets around to trying *fur coats* or something similarly easy as an armor form.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 20, 2018, 04:03:58 am »

It's not as hyper-modular as I'd wish for, but it's better than the hailstorm (Sorry, but we can mostly accomplish its main advancement with a revision...).
(3) ME-CLAW-63 "Clever Laser Augmented Weapon": Happerry, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla
(1) ME-GWM-63 'Firedrake': Madman

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 22, 2018, 04:22:47 am »

ME-CLAW-63 "Clever Laser Augmented Weapon": Throw out all your old projects, there's a new game in town! The discovery of Magmatite has opened the door to a wealth of proposals once thought utterly impractical (even by our standards). Amongst them is the suggestion that we use newfangled 'lasers' as weapons. Since our troops have been complaining for a while about the lacklustre state of their weaponry, we decided to investigate the potential for man-portable laser weapons.
Well, Bear-portable.
CLAW is the result. The weapon is built around a Magmatite laser emitter, which produces patriotic blue lasers* of variable intensity. Magmatite's unusual interactions with energy extend to light emission, and properly treated it becomes translucent, resulting in an extraordinarily effective laser emitter- an order of magnitude more efficient than conventional emitters. Reflectors are used to concentrate the beam. The weapon can be fired in a pulse mode, or in a continuous beam. Both are expected to be able to easily pierce light-medium armour, with beam mode capable of slicing people in half.
Power is provided by canisters containing high-capacity Magmagel, that can be swapped out when depleted, and recharged at base. Two canisters can be inserted at once, with power drawn from one at a time- this is to ensure that CLAW emplacements can lay down continuous fire easily. Alternatively, the weapon can be attached to an external power source, such as a large tank of Magmagel attached to a Grizzly, or a generator in a stationary emplacement.
If standard cooling methods prove insufficient, a small tank of STABIL-ICE can be used to supplement them, though only if needed.
The standard CLAW is slightly smaller and lighter than the Sorraia- portable without Bear Armour, but somewhat unwieldy, whilst those with Bear Armour can wield it one-handed. An upsized version (more akin to the Velociraptor) is available for installation on vehicles (eg Grizzlies, Blizzards) or use in stationary emplacements.
A fairly simple scope is provided, with 3x magnification. Elevation and windage are obviously not a concern, making this an excellent sniper weapon, though it can also be wielded more  conventionally. It is not expected to be available to all our forces with current Magmatite availability.
Design: ME-CLAW-63 "Clever Laser Augmented Weapon"
(Hard) (3+4)-1 = 6: Above Average

Sure, Aratam may have psychic troopers, but we can paint the landscapes in the most patriotic of color: Blue.
Already we have blue-skinned soldiers and ICEd battlefields, but now blue lasers (stated by the Merethan Military to be the most effective type of laser, largely due to its magnificent color) illuminate the battlefield!

We had set out to create a standard "laser" using Magmatite emitters and Magmagel for power, but we discovered that the most effective Magmatite emitter is actually shooting a laser through some reflectors submerged in Magmatite. This method takes power directly from the Magmagel, meaning that the ammo canisters are actually a part of the weapon. The weapon itself is boxy and quite heavy (when loaded); regular people can fire it but not terribly effectively.
But our army isn't just comprised of regular people. Bears can hold these weapons easily, even duel wielding them!
Near the front of the weapon, it sort of looks like someone just took a chunk out of it. The front end is the proper shape, but it's only connected by a relatively small "bridge" to the rest of the weapon, leaving a sizeable gap. This is where the Magmagel canister goes (though it's about twice the height of the weapon, and protrudes quite a bit from the bottom). A locking mechanism makes reloading straightforward and allows using the parts of the canister that protrude as a forward grip. Not that our troopers need forward grips.

Magmagel is naturally a firey orange, but in order to increase morale and prevent slashing of our funding, we dyed it blue. It also, interestingly enough, tends to glow in direct proportion to the amount of power it has left. This plus a few heat-resistant "windows" into the canister allow easy judging of the remaining power level. Though the windows are often covered up by our troops because they really glow at night. The weapon is equipped with an integrated STABIL-ICE cooling system. A small cartridge in the rear end of the weapon holds enough STABIL-ICE to last a couple days of full-on combat.
No larger variants of the CLAW are available, though we have come up with a system that allows the CLAW to be hooked up to a pump, giving it a continuous supply of Magmagel in vehicles and stationary emplacements. At the moment, the port isn't utilized, but it shouldn't be terribly hard to hook it up to a tank of Magmagel connected to a generator charging it.

In terms of damage, hoo boy. Pulse mode fires a very short-lived beam in a semiautomatic fashion. Beam mode generates substantial amounts of heat (prompting frequent stops for it to cool down) and gobbles up power, but is awe-inspiring. An unarmored person can actually be cut in half by a carefully swiped beam. How cool is that?! With the new Aratamite armor, we can't trivially melt through it but the lasers are powerful enough that just a few brief moments on the same spot are enough to melt through the armor. Laser
wounds are quite clean and precise, meaning that shots in non-vital areas are less likely to kill enemies. But enough hits (which is easy enough) or a proper use of the beam mode can easily kill armored Aratamites.
Heavy armor -- tanks -- need to have the laser trained on a specific spot to spend time melting through the continuous armor, and can't be easily destroyed thanks to how precise the lasers are. But a hole in the engine can very nicely mission kill an enemy tank.
Both fire modes terrifically light up the area with a majestic Merethan (it took about a month to get the exact color) blue.

A 3x scope is included, though in our tests thus far snipers almost universally take off their Bear helmet in order to use it, for less awkwardness. Bipods are available, but not used due to the stability Bear armor provides. Our snipers area really excited. Sniping wasn't exactly a popular field with our prior weapons.
It's theoretically possible to mount it on Grizzlies, but the damage is a bit too precision-based to measure up to the raw devastation afforded by other Grizzly weapons. Emplacements still tend to prefer autocannons due to the high rate of continuous fire. But the CLAW clearly has extreme amounts of potential in these areas, even if it's not immediately useful.

While it's at the scale of an infantry weapon, it costs a lot in Magmagel (and thus Magmatite) to equip our men with ammunition for it.
It costs 2 Magmatite, 1 Oil (due to small amounts of STABIL-ICE), and 2 Ore. Making it Expensive. For now it'll primarily be given to snipers and the most wanting of squad commanders.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Revision Phase of Summer 1963 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Summer 1963 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #538 on: July 22, 2018, 05:29:53 am »

Right. Revision? We could rework the SARUKH to modern rocketry standards and fuels. But for now, a Blizzard upgrade idea for the revision. Yell at me if I made a stupid. Feel free to copy this in order to make slight adjustments or whatever.

Blizzard Upgrade Program
Originally started as a brainstorming session to optimize Shrike attachment point placement; news of our newest weapon and what it's capable of has kicked this into an actual serious project.

The Blizzard is capable of carrying 4 rockets and 1 Tonne of bombs at full load, yet our rapid and makeshift modifications only allow it to carry 2 100kg Shrikes; a tragic under-utilization of the Blizzard's carrying capacity. The attachment hardpoints are to be redesigned; gone are the old rockets and bombs, and in are 8 Shrike attachment points.

Also up for consideration is the 'Blizzard Pattern C' (with the previous upgrade being the 'Pattern B'), intended to make full use of CLAW's accuracy; the Pattern C, in addition to the Pattern B's upgrades, has the Velociraptor autocannons are replaced with a very basic 'turret' assembly; enough to make the CLAW turn roughly 15 degrees in any direction. This assembly is meant to be controlled by the Pattern C's slightly more integrated Birdbrain pod, allowing it to be automatically aimed right at the selected target. The CLAW can also be manually aimed at the pilots wish, having a brand new joystick in the cockpit for that purpose, and a new setting for the Holo-HUD to assist in aiming.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 05:43:21 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Summer 1963 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #539 on: July 22, 2018, 05:34:05 am »

Quote from: To boldly not go
Blizzard upgrade program (1): Andrea

Seems effective and reasonably easy. Gives us good ground support, and the VE pattern C should be extremely effective at getting air superiority.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 74