Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82338 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1962 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #480 on: June 25, 2018, 02:40:55 am »

Regarding music, I rewrote the Let It Go lyrics to suit Mereth. I'm not totally happy with the result, so please feel free to suggest changes. Original lyrics included, new lyrics indented.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Long Live United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 25, 2018, 01:05:07 pm »

Quote from: Friend Computer is watching you!
Revision:
(3) Earth Ear MkIV: FallacyofUrist, NUKE9.13, Happerry
(2) ME-RP-62 'Snowflake': Madman, Maximum Spin

Music:
(2) Pacific Rim Main Theme: FallacyofUrist, Andrea
(4) Let It Go (Frozen): Madman, Maximum Spin, Happerry, NUKE9.13

I don't believe "Let it go" really fits in terms of mood and meaning. It is a girl with subdermal ICE implants singing merrily about letting go of her own self imposed restrictions, fears and all, moving from a very repressive and sheltered life to freedom by leaving everyone else behind (which turns out terribly by the way).  I fail to see the repressed society in Mereth finally letting go of old restrictions and breaking free. As in, I don't think we have any relevant social customs that we are shedding or aiming to.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 25, 2018, 03:27:05 pm »

Revision:
(4) Earth Ear MkIV: FallacyofUrist, NUKE9.13, Happerry, Jilladilla

Music:
(3) Pacific Rim Main Theme: FallacyofUrist, Andrea, Jilladilla
(4) Let It Go (Frozen): Madman, Maximum Spin, Happerry, NUKE9.13

I too, feel that 'Let It Go' is maybe just a little too... Memey? Let's go with memey. To be taken seriously.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 25, 2018, 03:29:22 pm »

It should be noted that the GM also considers it not quite serious enough, although he akes a point that it is not impossible for us to win with that

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 25, 2018, 03:31:20 pm »

Hm. I mean it 100% seriously, and I do think that we have something to let go of - namely the outdated laws of war and physics - but okay.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 25, 2018, 03:32:46 pm »

Revision:

Music:
(4) Pacific Rim Main Theme: FallacyofUrist, Andrea, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13
(3) Let It Go (Frozen): Madman, Maximum Spin, Happerry
Ah, whatever.
Long Live United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 25, 2018, 03:41:18 pm »

Hm. I mean it 100% seriously, and I do think that we have something to let go of - namely the outdated laws of war and physics - but okay.

I am aware that the votes were generally not jokes. I am just expressing my feelings, and relaying some discord chat.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 28, 2018, 08:46:31 pm »

Revision:

Music:
(5) Pacific Rim Main Theme: FallacyofUrist, Andrea, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13, Madman
(2) Let It Go (Frozen): Maximum Spin, Happerry
I rather like the PR theme. No more love for the 'Snowflake'? Given the detection range of SEEMs/Goldeneyes (as clarified earlier, in Discord IIRC), I suspect that a new Earth Ear won't be that advantageous. It can certainly detect less than aerial surveillance because you can't tell *what* and *who* is moving above your, or "what" beyond "it's either a boulder or a building".
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 28, 2018, 09:13:28 pm »

Downside of the Snowflake is that it's much easier to take down than an upgraded Earth Ear. SEEMs can sense the Excavator(barely) but can't do anything about it.

Also upgraded Earth Ear shows love for the hologram cube. And does actually have enhanced resolution.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 28, 2018, 09:18:54 pm »

"Easier", unless we actually manage to exploit the fact that we have insanely-efficient rocket fuel for standard jet propellant.

We can EASILY outrun and out-climb the enemy, and simply be at an altitude too high for them to reach. We need to open the space theater soon, too.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 28, 2018, 09:20:49 pm »

Next turn, we can do the Hailstorm design(high-altitude bomber with tons of ICE bombs).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 03, 2018, 05:06:35 pm »

Earth Ear MkIV: First, there was the Earth Ear. Then we upgraded it when building our ally's embassy (an entirely warranted expenditure, thank you very much). Then there was GASOLINE. That makes this our fourth iteration of the device.
Computer technology has moved on since we designed the original Earth Ear- and Mereth is (since yesterday) the world's leader in computer technology. So we have significantly upgraded the processing side of the Earth Ear. It is now capable of processing more signals in less time, can automatically filter out things like the vibrations caused by the vehicle itself, and uses complicated algorithms to further enhance resolution (because computers can do that. This will also be useful for Merethine police, as they can use similar algorithms to enhance blurry photographs). In addition, the sensors have been upgraded with more sensitive electronics. To better portray the substantially increased amount of information, we have upgraded the holocube to have a higher resolution, and a second colour (blue).
Combined, the effect is like night and day- where once we struggled to tell the difference between a large rock and a column of tanks, the MkIV can detect a pin dropping 50km away. Well, maybe not quite that level of accuracy. But under the right circumstances, the movement of infantry can be detected, and the speed, direction, and weight of vehicles can be calculated easily.
It is also possible to combine the output of several Earth Ear systems- such as several Excavators, connected by wires to a central command post, providing even more resolution and accuracy.
Revision: Earth Ear MkIV
(Normal) (3+3) = 6: Above Average

The Earth Ear Mk. IV is a very nice improvement to its predecessor. While it wasn't necessarily easy to implement, the use of advanced electronics and computing systems made possible by the ORACLE-A's advances (as well as lots of time with the Earth Ear in general) allow for a staggering leap in technology.

First, the sensors have been made significantly more precise. This was always an option, but the vibrations caused by the vehicle (and even sensors in certain cases) polluted the readings to practical uselessness. Until now; the integrated computer filters out non-relevant vibrations, allowing for full usage of better sensors. A technique our technicians call "ENHANCE" based on portions of the ORACLE-A design allows for prediction-based increasing of the effective resolution of sensors without actually giving them higher resolution.
Certain engineers pointed out that this is logically impossible. They were fired ICEd. The improvements also increase range to 20km (though the results can get mildly fuzzy at max range).

An astounding improvement was made to the holocube: a new color. This, in addition to better holocube resolution, allows for effective interpretation of the results. Magnetic disks also store the data onboard the vehicle to be brought back and fed into the ORACLE-A. The integrated computer distinguishes between "building", "vehicle", "infantry"(, and "rock") through the varying shades of blue and red, and can detect still entities thanks to the precise vibrations allowing identifications of their more unique signatures. The Earth Ear Mk. IV will be outfitted onto all Excavators and should provide a nice boost to real-time intelligence as well as predictive intelligence via the ORACLE-A.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Combat Phase of Winter 1962 has begun. Voting on the challenge submission may continue until the combat report arrives.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1962 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #492 on: July 06, 2018, 11:12:52 pm »

Combat Report Spring 1963

The usefulness of the ORACLE-A cannot be overstated, but the military has more than felt the loss of that Ore.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Spring 1963 has begun.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1962 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #493 on: July 06, 2018, 11:14:09 pm »

[disregard]

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Spring 1963 - Design Phase)
« Reply #494 on: July 07, 2018, 12:41:37 am »

The Duelist Initiative, MK3:
Since our discovery that some of our soldiers can instinctively sense when a SEEM is in the area, we've done further research into this phenomenon. As it turns out, the soldiers who can sense SEEMs? They're psychic themselves. At least a little bit. They even demonstrate a little bit of psychic phenomena, not very much, easily discarded as trash science... but we're mad scientists. We can make it work. Especially when Fallacy chips in some of his "special" drugs.

Our new Duelists fight both in the back lines and the front lines. In order to do this, they inject themselves with a cocktail full of whatever the heck Fallacy cooked up in his lab. They then fall into a trance while listening to Pacific Rim(our national theme song) to focus their will. Their mind, but not their body, then steps into the Astral Plane, the source of the SEEMs powers. The SEEMs can sense people through the Astral Plane... but this also leaves them open to entities on the Astral Plane. Like our Duelists. Our Duelists, while in the Astral Plane, use an Id Form, a mental construct of some kind(we've seen everything from a blue-furred anthropomorphized cat to a mech literally made of guns). The Id Form, while deadly, can't do anything to the physical plane... yet. With one exception. The SEEM troopers? Their connection to the Astral Plane leaves them vulnerable. While that gun mech can't shoot their body full of holes, it can certainly shoot their mind full of holes. The SEEM, however, can counterattack. Their weapons resonate with the Astral Plane due to their psychic strength, and can harm our Duelists minds.

Naturally, damage to the mind... is nasty. It can even turn into permanent brain damage. But the sacrifice is worth it for people who can fight SEEMs, and we'll give as good as we get. The blue hair(a byproduct of the chemicals) is nice as well.
~~~
Quote from: Let's make our own psychics!
Design:
The Duelist Initiative (1): FallacyofUrist

To use or not to use, that is the question:
Use Research Credit (1): FallacyofUrist

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 74