Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82289 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Summer 1962 - Design Phase)
« Reply #360 on: April 15, 2018, 03:50:26 pm »

ME-MAS-62 'Grizzly Armor' Pattern B: Same as above, except the height is increased to 5 meters, the armour thickness is increased 10%, and the bumblebee cannon arm is provided with recoil dampeners.
Long Live United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 15, 2018, 04:01:35 pm »

recoil dampeners are good, I shall add them to my pattern.

As for the rest, I don't think those numbers will have much effect in game effect terms.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 15, 2018, 04:11:21 pm »

Yeah, you're probably right.

(0): Dire Bear Armor: By reading this text you acknowledge and affirm the fact that you have agreed to become a C.A.T. Gas test subject.
(1): C.A.T. Gas: FallacyofUrist
(2): Grizzly: Andrea, NUKE9.13

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 15, 2018, 11:01:39 pm »

ME-L6-1 'Scorpion'

The Bear suit is a fine piece of armor, but it lacks something rather crucial for mounting super-heavy weapons and armor- platform stability. The Scorpion has that, in spades. In basic operational parameters, she's a hexapod with two primary gunnery arms and an elongated tail that serves as a flexible mounting point for lighter munitions than the main gunnery arms.

A discussion of the Scorpion's merits must begin at the bottom, quite literally. Each of her six legs has more strength than a Bear's and is capable of walking in either a low slung mode with the top of the body elevated to only 2 meters, or a fully elevated mode with the crest of the body riding at 3.6 meters. Each leg is also fitted with a 300mm armor plate, broadened beyond the needs of the leg to provide shielding to the body of the mech as it moves. In addition to providing protection to the core and stability, each leg also contains a reserve of the Stabil-ICE used in the mech's cooling systems, distributing the reserve in order to avoid catastrophic failure, providing optical cover in the event that a leg is destroyed by enemy fire, and also allowing the mech's pilot the ability to vent the reserve to discourage opportunistic infantry.

The body of the mech is protected on the sides with 160 mm plating, with a hardened dorsal strip and 'mask' at 360mm in order to protect against indirect bombarbment and provide additional protection against frontal attack. Three crew members are housed within the body of the Scorpion. In the frontmost position is the gunner, controlling the mech's frontal arms. Behind is the pilot, controlling the mech's movement, able to to receive visual information via fiberscope from either the mech's frontal eyes, or a visual node embedded in the tail. The final operator can take control of either the gunner's position of the pilot's but primarily serves to operate the mech's secondary systems. Re-routing Stabil-ICE from the leg reserves to supercool armor plating in preparation for bombardment, or directing current directly into the mech's armor to generate heat in the event of friendly ICE spills or the failure of one of the legs.

The frontal arms of the mech are of a different candor than the legs. Each mounts an immense 400mm COMBAT plate on the outfacing sides, thickly veined with coolant tubules in order to keep the armor frigid during combat situations. Each arm is capable of mounting a bumblebee cannon, with a secondary operations slot designed to either support an extended ammo store or a multiple-launch sarukh system launcher.  In combat, one arm is extended to fire while the other is folded protectively. After firing, the arms switch position in order to allow one arm to reload and take hits while the reserve arm fires and cools its plate.

The tail of the scorpion is (comparatively) lightly armored, at 80mm, and can attain a height of five meters when fully raised. An optical node connected to the pilot's fiberscope enables the pilot to attain a periscope view when the Scorpion's main body is crouched below cover, and flexible munitions point enables it to mount anti-infantry weaponry with abandon- from ICE-throwers to a double mounted velociraptor.

While the current variant is only outfitted with extant weapons and systems, including native integration of fully rechargeable electrogel systems and dedicated charging docks, we look forward to arming the Scorpion's frontal claws with even heavier destructive weapons- taking advantage of the recoil absorbent base.

(0): Dire Bear Armor: By reading this text you acknowledge and affirm the fact that you have agreed to become a C.A.T. Gas test subject.
(1): Scorpion: Draignean

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:19:04 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 15, 2018, 11:13:21 pm »

(2): Scorpion: Draignean, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 15, 2018, 11:42:29 pm »

... to my surprise, I'm open to CAT gas. It's pretty funny.

Anyway, here's the thought I just had while talking in the Discord, which is not really a serious suggestion for now but just something to keep around:

ME-UC-62 "Rods from Satan" Electromagnetic Artillery
Mereth is widely known as the most boring country on the planet. Er, sorry, no, I meant the best country on the planet at boring. We use that to our advantage in many ways, and this is one more of them: The ME-UC-62 is essentially a mobile coilgun platform for underground use, along with the thin metal cylinders it's designed to fire through up to several metres of dirt followed by Aratamians. Why did we do this? Because it's funny. So, so funny.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 16, 2018, 07:33:53 am »

(3): Grizzly: Andrea, NUKE9.13, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 16, 2018, 08:03:20 am »

Eh... you know, the Grizzly isn't really super cool. It's cool, but only, like, moderately so.
The Scorpion is more interesting, I feel. Obviously it takes inspiration from the extremely rare "Merethine Snow Scorpion", which has adapted to live in the tundra.

So... gonna switch over to the Scorpion.

(2): Grizzly: Andrea, Madman
(3): Scorpion: Draignean, Happerry, NUKE9.13

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 16, 2018, 08:56:44 am »

It's also:
Hugely, impractically more difficult than the Grizzly and probably VH
Ridiculously lightly armored for a MBT
Probably VH
Going to get utterly wrecked by those coilgun tanks because it's lightly armored
Probably VH
It adds a bunch of features we don't need if we accomplish the same thing with the Grizzly, leading to it being
Probably VH
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 16, 2018, 10:42:15 am »

Andrea pointed out on Discord that the Scorpion wouldn't be able to take advantage of our electrogel motion capture shenanigans, which could make the Grizzly quite an agile thing.

(3): Grizzly: Andrea, Madman, NUKE9.13

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 16, 2018, 11:18:04 am »

Andrea pointed out on Discord that the Scorpion wouldn't be able to take advantage of our electrogel motion capture shenanigans, which could make the Grizzly quite an agile thing.

To try and convince you back, I've actually knocked the armor numbers up by a considerable amount- and I could be convinced to do it again if need be. I don't intend for the Scorpion to be fast, but we need a main battle tank, not a raider.

I like the grizzly, mechs are awesome, but as the discussion has gone in discord, its primary defense is going to be its mobility. It has an enormous frontal cross section and armor lighter than the armor Madman admonished as being far too light for a main battle tank. The enemy will develop better tracking and faster turrets, and that mobility won't be enough to hold the line, and we'll only weigh it down with armor. We need something heavy, something that can get shot, shrug it off, and return fire. The Scorpion has layered armor, can survive the loss of multiple components, and can take advantage of terrain cover in ways that the Grizzly is just too big for.

We've been criticized for out lack of a main battle tank, not for our lack of agility- so lets do something about that. I can wholeheartedly support the development of a grizzly frame as well, to act as a heavy marauder, but I don't think it's a defensive lineman.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 16, 2018, 11:48:50 am »

we should also keep affordability in mind.

Anyway, I am adding a 30 mm mangalloy plate to the grizzly, so that small arms and autocannons don't needlessly degrade COMBAT.

edit: I will also note that in my opinion it was just the body that was underarmoured, limbs were fine and are now probably excessive.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 16, 2018, 12:37:06 pm »

Mm. I like the scorpion. Easier to mount heavy weapons systems on it, I think.

(3): Grizzly: Andrea, Madman, NUKE9.133
(3): Scorpion: Draignean, Happerry, FallacyofUrist
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 16, 2018, 01:05:50 pm »

The Grizzly can, conceivably, just crouch or lie down, too.

My biggest problem with the Scorpion, especially now that it's a real MBT, is just the difficulty. You're taking direct-human-input controlled limbs and making indirect control of a weird-shaped walking device that bears no resemblance to human motion with another (?) apparently mobile tail thing that is going to be controlled somehow (?) by a human.

And it's also going to be synchronized to move properly like a scorpion. And be capable of navigating tunnels and rocks and ledges and whatnot.

And the armor in front is going to continuously move out of the way of protecting the front, because it's mounted on two arms that have to be taken off-target to reload for some reason. Speaking of which, you are also apparently developing a fully-automatic loading system for it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 18, 2018, 01:40:31 pm »

(4): Grizzly: Andrea, Madman, NUKE9.133, Maximum Spin
(3): Scorpion: Draignean, Happerry, FallacyofUrist
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 74