Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82294 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Spring 1962 - Design Phase)
« Reply #330 on: March 27, 2018, 11:44:46 am »

B.E.A.R.C.A.T Composite Plating

Mono-metallic armors have been the mainstay for centuries, but the recent developments in the war with Aratam have shown that a change in design doctrine is needed. We don't simply need a new material, we need a new way of thinking about armor. Instead of using a singular material and demanding every increasing results from our metallurgists, the B.E.A.R.C.A.T (Bronze Eddy-current Armor Reinforced with Crystalline Anisotropic Tungsten) composite plating system uses a series of disparate materials in order to create a meta-structure with far more integrity than the sum of its parts.

The skin of the armor is a thinner version of the same manganese steel employed in our standard infantry armors, as it as shown excellent success in stopping conventional arms up to this point. Beneath that is a mixed layer of alternating sandwiched tungsten-bronze (sodium type, Na(0-1)WO3) and molybdenum-bronze (Lithium type, Li0.9Mo6O17), interlocking via their shared perovskite structure. The perovskite structure makes the twinned material piezoelectric, while the different charge carrying potentials of the materials and the anisotropic properties of molybdenum-bronze cause their piezolectric properties to result in strong magnetic eddy-currents when impacted or breached. When the subject of the breach is physical, such as from a Aratam coilgun, the effect of the eddy-currents acts as a braking system on the projectile, stopping or dramatically slowing the projectile in exchange for heating the armor. When the subject of the disturbance is electrical, the same asymmetric conductive structure of the molybdenum-bronze and tungsten-bronze twinned layer results in higher resistance than either material would natively be capable of, dispersing the charge as more heat.

The backing layer of the armor uses ceramic plating, primarily to provide heat resistance and additional non-conductive spacing for the primary composite armor layers.

While we recognize the increased costs likely demanded by the materials used, we believe that the increased protection generated by applying this composite material to our bear armor will be well worth the expense.

Quote from: Remember the Halberd's coilgun
Grizzly take 2 (2): Andrea, Maximum Spin
M.U.D. (0):
Adamantine/Mithril (2): FallacyofUrist, NUKE9.13
B.E.A.R.C.A.T Composite Armor (1): Draignean
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:14:56 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 27, 2018, 11:52:44 am »

M.U.D. (0):
Adamantine/Mithril (1): FallacyofUrist
B.E.A.R.C.A.T Composite Armor (2): Draignean, NUKE9.13
Welp, who can resist the siren song of vaguely-plausible sounding bullshit?
Long Live United Forenia!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 27, 2018, 11:57:44 am »

M.U.D. (0):
Adamantine/Mithril (0):
B.E.A.R.C.A.T Composite Armor (3): Draignean, NUKE9.13, FallacyofUrist
As much as I dislike the acronym, I really don't like the idea of a tie. And it is a good proposal.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 27, 2018, 03:40:11 pm »

M.U.D. (0):
Adamantine/Mithril (0):
B.E.A.R.C.A.T Composite Armor (4): Draignean, NUKE9.13, FallacyofUrist, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 27, 2018, 03:57:46 pm »

M.U.D. (0):
Adamantine/Mithril (0):
B.E.A.R.C.A.T Composite Armor (5): Draignean, NUKE9.13, FallacyofUrist, Madman, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 28, 2018, 12:18:12 pm »

Since people keep complaining about the BEARCAT acronym, the alternative name is C.O.M.B.A.T Plating. Since I promised FOU I'd put it in, I'll vote for the name swap.

M.U.D. (0):
Adamantine/Mithril (0):
B.E.A.R.C.A.T Composite Armor (5): Draignean, NUKE9.13, FallacyofUrist, Madman, Happerry
---> Rename to C.O.M.B.A.T Plating [Composite Ordered Molybdenum Bronze and Anisotropic Tungsten] (1): Draignean

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2018, 12:20:12 pm »

M.U.D. (0):
Adamantine/Mithril (0):
---> Rename to C.O.M.B.A.T Plating [Composite Ordered Molybdenum Bronze and Anisotropic Tungsten] (2): Draignean, NUKE9.13

Approved.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2018, 12:21:17 pm »

Yay. Good proposal and good acronym.

M.U.D. (0):
Adamantine/Mithril (0):
---> Rename to C.O.M.B.A.T Plating [Composite Ordered Molybdenum Bronze and Anisotropic Tungsten] (3): Dr. Aignean, NUKE9.13 the MASTER ACRONYMER, FallacyofUrist
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 28, 2018, 01:53:10 pm »

Quote from: Remember the Halberd's coilgun and/or alamo
Grizzly take 2 (1): Andrea
M.U.D. (0):
Adamantine/Mithril (0):
---> Rename to C.O.M.B.A.T Plating [Composite Ordered Molybdenum Bronze and Anisotropic Tungsten] (4): Dr. Aignean, NUKE9.13 the MASTER ACRONYMER, FallacyofUrist, Maximum Spin
This acronym is not perfect, but better.
(I might prefer "Molybdenum Bronze / Anisotropic Tungsten", abusing slashes is slightly better than extra uninitialed words)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 28, 2018, 02:35:44 pm »

This acronym is not perfect, but better.
(I might prefer "Molybdenum Bronze / Anisotropic Tungsten", abusing slashes is slightly better than extra uninitialed words)

That's far worse. Adding in extra uninitialed words is a perfectly accepted mainstay of military acronyms. See MARAUDER, which, if you bothered to put in all the words, would be the much less badass MARTAUDEAR, which sounds less like a weapon and more like a victorian matriarch frantically calling for her generically ethnic housekeeper.
---

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 28, 2018, 03:55:10 pm »

Adding in extra uninitialed words is a perfectly accepted mainstay of military acronyms.
I'm entirely aware of that, I simply disagree and think it's a sign of acrostic incompetence, and I will fight you over it.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 28, 2018, 04:04:45 pm »

So long as it's only minor words (a, the, for, etc.), it's totally fine. So sayeth the MASTER ACRONYMER.

((We're all going to get tossed in a pit or something for even having this discussion))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 28, 2018, 04:29:18 pm »

Adding in extra uninitialed words is a perfectly accepted mainstay of military acronyms.
I'm entirely aware of that, I simply disagree and think it's a sign of acrostic incompetence, and I will fight you over it.

I see, so, laser in an incompetent acronym? :P

You could fight me over it, but I don't think you get very far.

---

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 28, 2018, 04:30:36 pm »

I see, so, laser in an incompetent acronym? :P
Yes. Wh...why did you think I wouldn't say yes?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2018, 04:33:23 pm »

Because it's Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

Quit fighting this war; you lost before you had ever started.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 74