Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82263 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1961 - Design Phase)
« Reply #285 on: February 18, 2018, 08:03:02 pm »

Finally, their are no direct viewports, instead the 'head' of the Suit possesses an advanced camera system, the output of which is displayed towards a helmet the pilot wears.
This is the first thing that I noticed and I wish to complain about it.
That's a terrible, though regrettably common, idea that will get riders killed by (coincidental or intentional) technical glitches. Use fibre-optics for a safe viewport instead.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 19, 2018, 05:22:38 am »

So, couple of things:
-I don't think what you're describing will fit in an Excavator tunnel. At least, the way I'm reading it. Maybe mention some dimensions?
-A 150mm cannon is ludicrous for this thing. The recoil would knock it over every time. 100mm at most, I'd say, and 75mm would probably be best. Unless they used it like a sniper rifle, bracing it on the ground before firing.
-I'd specify that the limbs are powered by a combination of hydraulics and electric motors- we don't want to end up with electrogel-powered limbs, because replacing electrogel in the field is hard enough for Bear Armour, it would be nigh-impossible for this.
-Not super important, but I thought we could call this 'Arctodus'. That's the scientific name of the largest bear ever (now extinct): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-faced_bear
-I think Spin has a point. Cameras are a bit fragile and shitty.
Long Live United Forenia!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 19, 2018, 10:25:04 am »

"Catapult" Catapult:
The Catapult is a revolutionary new means of transporting our Bear Armored troopers. Hold on, you say, wasn't the catapult an ancient invention? Well, technically, yes, but we revamped the catapult into the Catapult. The Catapult is mounted on a large armored truck capable of sitting 8 Bear Armor troopers. The Catapult transports our Bear Armor troopers where they need to go, but not through enemy lines. No, it fires the Bear Armor troopers into enemy lines. It is, after all, a Catapult. We made an improvement to the Bear Armor in order to make this possible: shock-absorbing legs. Another technological innovation the Catapult possesses is a charging station for our new rechargeable Electrogel.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

The Just Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • I made my own avatar in From The Depths.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 19, 2018, 10:32:37 am »

ME-ORT-61 "Gigapede" Off Road Train

It is quite clear that a means of shipping supplies, munitions, and troops in vast quantities is required. For these tasks, trains are quite clearly ideal. However, railways are distinctly vulnerable to airstrikes and other attacks damaging and destroying the tracks. The solution therefore, is to make a train that can go wherever it damn well pleases, regardless of if there's rails there or not.

Enter the Gigapede system, the world's first train designed for off-road driving. The engine vaguely resembles a standard diesel-electric locomotive, but the rear wheels have been replaced with a pair of long tank treads, with two relatively normal wheels in the front for steering. The GOFAST-burning engine provides these treads with plenty of power to drag whatever load the Gigapede is currently hauling. The Gigapede is designed to be able to haul up to 250 tons of load up a 30% grade, ensuring that it can provide plenty of logistical support wherever needed. Notably, the engine can be easily armed as it has a mounting point on the front suitable for a vehicular ICE thrower or autocannon mount.

Cars the Gigapede can haul include standard cargo or passenger cars (modified with heavy duty off-road tires), or any number of military modules. This includes mobile command centers, a field artillery battery mounting the Bumblebee guns from our Navy, Penguin missile siloes, autocannon AA mounts, and ICE thrower broadsides among other possibilities. Each armed car is designed to be as self-contained as possible, so that if the engine is destroyed they can still shoot back.

All in all, the Gigapede promises to not only greatly assist with Mereth's supply situation, but also to deliver heavy firepower where it is needed.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 19, 2018, 10:34:38 am »

Quote from: Boatbox
(2) - ME-ORT-61 "Gigapede" Off Road Train: The Just Writer, FallacyofUrist

The idea is it's a heavy assault vehicle and TC booster in one. For our revision we can revise GOFAST to not cost Oil, putting us ahead once more.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

The Just Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 19, 2018, 10:41:19 am »

The idea is it's a heavy assault vehicle and TC booster in one. For our revision we can revise GOFAST to not cost Oil, putting us ahead once more.
OI! I didn't actually put my vote down for this!

There, now it's all proper like!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 19, 2018, 11:00:24 am »

(1) - ME-MAS-61 'Grizzly Armor': NUKE9.13
Tentatively putting my vote down for this. I don't like the train, if for no other reason than it's not a bloody train.
That, and I think we can revise a solution to the Oil situation, and design something more combat-capable.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 19, 2018, 11:30:12 am »

Right, I put this on Discord but posting it here for posterity, but my general plan is this:
-This Design: Something to fill in a hole in our military lineup. Don't care what it is, could be the Grizzly, could be the modular tank, could be some super fighter/bomber thing... Something. The super truck gives us good artillery as well as TC, yeah... But artillery is not one of our holes, we're good there.
-The Revision: Strip the Cataphract down into a cargo ship. It might give 2 TC, it might give 1 TC. Either way it'll take care of that oil and we get all of its benefits. If it's 2 TC, it'll even handle the Mountain Ore if we hold that line! If it's only 1 though, we'll either need another TC or integrate the Oil with the next revision.

(2) - ME-MAS-61 'Grizzly Armor': NUKE9.13, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 19, 2018, 11:34:11 am »

(3) - ME-MAS-61 'Grizzly Armor': NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Madman

I agree with NUKE, that it should be named Arctodus (Just Arctodus, not "Arctodus Armor")
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2018, 02:03:21 pm »

ME-MTA-61 "Skyranger"
This is a bulky plane, meant for military transport and civilian logistics.
The body is a boxy, rounded prism shape meant to maximize internal volume. the wings are very wide at the base, hosting 2 large ducted fans, fixed in the downward direction; after the fans, they are fairly narrower and foldable. Those wings are smaller than would normally be used on an heavy aircraft such as this, thanks to the help provided by the fans.
While fans help with lift,  horizontal speed is provided by a pair of engines, upsized from those present in the blizzard,  mounted on the sides of the body, near the rear. Those engines can be reoriented toward the ground, allowing vertical take off and landing capabilities, working together with the fans.

The hold should be able to carry several bear armor soldiers when used as a military transport and enough weight to provide 1 TC when used as a logistic craft.
For the purposes of providing support to the soldiers while landed, it also has 2 hardpoints which can be fitted either with an ICE thrower or with an autocannon.

(3) - ME-MAS-61 'Grizzly Armor': NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Madman
(1) - ME-MTA-61 "Skyranger": Andrea

I disagree on Arctodus, on the grounds of this probably not being the ultimate version of our mechanized infantry.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:04:53 pm by andrea »

The Just Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2018, 02:14:48 pm »

(1) - ME-ORT-61 "Gigapede" Off Road Train:  FallacyofUrist
(4) - ME-MAS-61 'Grizzly Armor': NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Madman, The Just Writer

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 19, 2018, 02:27:59 pm »

(5) - ME-MAS-61 'Grizzly Armor': NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Madman, The Just Writer, Maximum Spin

I see some people who want TC but aren't yet thinking with ROCKETS.

Wait a minute we should do portals :P

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 19, 2018, 02:51:50 pm »

So, okay, the name "Grizzly Armour" is really bugging me. And obviously this is very important. I suggest a vote on the name;

Quote from: Mech Name Votes
Grizzly Armour: (1) Jilladilla
Arctodus: (1) NUKE9.13

The Just Writer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 19, 2018, 02:56:37 pm »

(5) - ME-MAS-61 'Grizzly Armor': NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Madman, The Just Writer, Maximum Spin

Renaming Vote For Mecha
(1) Dire Bear: The Just Writer

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 19, 2018, 03:03:14 pm »

Renaming Vote For Mecha
(2) Dire Bear: The Just Writer, Andrea
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 74