Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82215 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (1961 - Design Phase)
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2018, 02:00:07 pm »

I am going to propose another possible revision. Less general purpose, but probably more tailored for the plane.

We tried to apply ICE directly to the air stream, that failed. ICE is meant to freeze everything, not to regulate temperature. In the new engine design,  the old injectors are replaced with an heat exchanger. On one end, there is the compressor from which it draws heat and on the other a cold chamber loaded with pure ICE. An appropriate cooling fluid is used in the loop, depending on the cold side temperature. This way we can use pure ICE again, for maximum cold density and it is the fluid loop that regulates how much heat we subtract from the compressed air. the ICE tank is almost completely eliminated, making the design slimmer, faster, longer ranged and hopefully a bit less expensive.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2018, 02:08:39 pm »

So, will boats fight in the next attack?
As Aratam secured complete control of the sea this combat report, next year it’ll start on the beaches/plains, and Aratam’s navy will assist via whatever means they have to assist land combat. If Mereth keeps control of the plains then they’ll have an opportunity to get 1 zone of the sea with their navy.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2018, 04:18:21 pm »

Honestly, I think we will win the shoreline next year---they (probably) have no serious landing craft, and even if they do, it's so very hard to move when you didn't bring an icebreaker, and the entire beachfront just turned into a winter wonderland.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2018, 04:50:16 pm »

We get to import a design, so they could get a lander from there.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 05, 2018, 05:14:54 pm »

Even then, you can't drive a Walrus through an ice sheet.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 06, 2018, 08:49:24 am »

ME-PA-59 'Bear Armour: "Infantry" armor based off of the Tiger suit. Boasts full (barring hands) body coverage, albeit with fairly frequent gaps in the joints; armor toughness is identical to Tiger Armor, with insulating fur inner lining. Armor plating is semi-manually removed from the outside through a series of switches to enter/exit/perform maintenance, and the suit must have its Electrogel very routinely replaced to maintain full charge. Lasts 16 hours of consistent high-power use, but use is carefully rationed due to no tracking of the charge. Embarking/disembarking from the outside takes about 30 seconds, and disembarking without assistance takes a few minutes. It stands at [~7 ft/~2m] tall, and uses a smallish bulletproof glass visor for limited visibility. Pilots boast slightly increased speed and slightly decreased agility (but same strength) over regular unarmored individuals while in the Armour, twice the strength of average soldiers, and have their skin dyed blue from the Electrogel. Has mounts for a WALK-TALK and larger ICE Thrower tank, and a velcro strip for maximum pilot comfort.
[Expensive] 4 Ore, 2 Oil

Shouldn't this be very expensive?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 06, 2018, 08:55:35 am »

Shouldn't this be very expensive?

Nope, we have 3 Ore, 1 Oil, so we're missing 1 Ore, 1 Oil for a resource deficit of 2. It isn't Complex either. If it wasn't for our excavator giving us +1 Ore though, it would be Very Expensive, but we managed to fit it in right under that bar.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 06, 2018, 09:11:08 am »

Apparently, I can not count.

Anyway, what are we going to be designing?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:14:21 am by 10ebbor10 »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2018, 09:33:12 am »

ME-ID-61 "Diamond Dust" ICE Duster

One day, a Mereth engineer with a shortage of inspiration took a peaceful walk through some farmland, looked up, and understood.

Based on (and outwardly largely indistinguishable from) a generic commercial crop-dusting plane, the Diamond Dust replaces the traditional pesticides with ICE, formulated to reach the ground as a delightful pale-blue snow before reacting. This allows Mereth to push our most important advantage by flash-freezing any battlefield we find ourselves embroiled in. We expect this to be particularly interesting at sea.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2018, 01:03:08 pm »

I have no idea what to design. I dislike the Duster (I don't see it being effective), naval things won't be needed if we can't win on land, and a proper bomber would be a National Effort.

I'm just gonna suggest this to get the conversation moving:

ORACLE-A: We learnt a lot from MXETE. The small problem of size aside, it is (or was at the time) a powerful computer. And as electronics become smaller and faster by the day, it becomes possible to build a far more advanced computer (that is also far more practical).
The Official Recognizer And Calculator of Long-term Enemy-Activity is a true supercomputer, well ahead of the outside world's best efforts. I won't bore you with the stats- just know that they are way up there. And unlike MXETE, ORACLE has a specific purpose (although it can also be used for other things).
Observers at the front lines report enemy movements, numbers, or anything else. That data is fed into ORACLE, which then automatically "fills in the blanks", predicting the location, movement, and disposition of other enemy units, based on complex mathematical models of human behaviour and tactical choices. ORACLE's results are then sent back to the front lines, where they can be put to use by our commanders.
We do not, of course, expect ORACLE to be 100% accurate. But it will provide a much better guess than a human would, and that should be enough to give us an edge.

Quote from: Votes
ORACLE-A: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2018, 04:38:47 am »

Electroshell

A specially modified version of our electrogel, used as a filling for Velociraptor rounds or Sarukh shells. This electrogell is designed to be unleash all it's electricalpower in a single pulse, providing deadly electricalnshocks to anything it hits. It remains effective against vehicles, destroying or overloading electrical equipment.

Ice-Tank

A modified variant of the excavator, equipped with a large tank filled with ice, as well as a powerfull ICE-projector. It is designed with a periscope like aparatus that it can use to inspect above-ground conditions, draw in air, or even expell ICE. Clesrly labelled buttons ensure these functions are not used at the same time.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2018, 03:58:04 pm »

ME-GVM-61 "Penguin": War is such messy business. Why risk the chaos of the front lines, when you can kill people in comfort from a hundred kilometers away?
Enter our new Penguin. The sleek white-and-black body gives the weapon its name. The transistor-based guidance system, powerful warhead options, and long-range engine give it its designation: Guided Variable Missile.
The Penguin is 3.5m long, has a 33cm diameter, weighs in at 500kg, of which the warhead is 125kg. It is moved and launched by a dedicated truck capable of carrying two at a time. Users control the missile with an interface in the truck, using optical sensors to steer it towards its target. Should jamming occur, the onboard transistor computer will endeavour to stay the course.
Thanks to the GOFAST-based fuel, the missile is expected to have a longer range than those found in the outside world- we estimate 100km.
As the name suggests, the warhead is variable- currently the options are ICE or 'conventional' explosives.

ME-GXM-61 "Penguin": (1) NUKE9.13

I like this idea better than the ORACLE. It might actually let us take control of a section of sea just by launching missiles from the shore.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:40:58 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2018, 05:51:37 pm »

Would rather do a Mole-Tank, but this is good too.
ME-GXM-61 "Penguin": (2) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2018, 02:13:51 am »

I'll leave this here---it's late and I cooked it up (Without a name, even) while travelling, so it's not anything remotely top-notch. It's also not really complete, but it's an idea to stew over, I suppose.

ME-WTV-61 'Mad Santa'
A simple, two-person snowmobile, built to travel on ice more than snow, such as the ice formed when one sprays ICE-Thrower delayed-action ICE onto the ocean. Everything is made as light as possible, and a lot of the structure is hollow. The snowmobile is shaped so that it will, if dropped in water, tend to float right-side up, allowing the user to drive away even if he should fall in water. The use of GOFAST allows for a smaller fuel tank and smaller engine, and the freed-up space and weight is filled with an ICE-Thrower, pointed forwards, with the tanks distributed throughout the snowmobile wherever there is space. A set of hardpoints allow for a few ski-riding soldiers to ride behind the snowmobile itself, should we have the opportunity to deploy it on land. Using the basic idea behind Forenian motorcycles, one sidecar can be attached to provide extra ICE, while another, filled with high explosives, can be rapidly detached in the field and left to detonate on a nice long, safe dangerously short timer.

Note: Develop form of ICE that can be used to create lots of actual snow on land, so we can have self-snowing snowmobiles on land, instead of just at sea. Oh, and we need a tow-able explosive device to allow our snowmobile soldiers to do damage to enemy warships. Hopefully, these things will be literally capable of snowmobiling out to enemy warships that are stuck in the ice from shore batteries or friendly warship salvos, and then, like a very late Santa Claus, leaving them a gift (Christmas tree not included, chimney not necessary, accept gifts from the Merethan Mad Santa at your own risk), and driving away.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:21:34 pm by Madman198237 »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2018, 03:01:34 am »

Merethan Mad Santa
----Name please?----
Physician, heal thyself!

Anyway, since you losers don't like the hilarious spray-ICE-on-everything approach, plus one for the Mad Santa.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 74