Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82198 times)

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Spring 1965 - Design Phase)
« Reply #990 on: September 11, 2019, 10:42:20 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Moon Operation Design
SO-CARP: ()

Space Design
MSS-LDS-Ares: (1) TricMagic
ME-SCS-65 AURORA: (2) DGR, TricMagic

ICE Designs
M-ICE: (1) 10ebbor10
N-ICE: ()
ICECREAM: (4) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, m1895

Suit Upgrade Design
ME-PA-65 "Uber Bear": ()
ME-PA-65 SPACEMARINE: (3) TricMagic, Jilladilla, Madman
ME-CSE-65 SHOOTTHEM: ()

Talon Design
ME-GWS-65 'TALON 2': ()

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 12, 2019, 10:21:23 am »

Moon Operation Design

Space Design

ICE Designs
ICECREAM: (4) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, m1895

Suit Upgrade Design
ME-PA-65 SPACEMARINE: (4) TricMagic, Jilladilla, Madman, Flabort

Talon Design
I prefer NICE to ICECREAM. For lack of any votes on it, I will go with the other OK-ish design.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 12, 2019, 10:49:11 am »

Moon Operation Design

Space Design

ICE Designs
ICECREAM: (5) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, m1895, AC

Suit Upgrade Design

Talon Design
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 12, 2019, 02:06:19 pm »

Polar Bear Armour

The next gen in Bear Armour, the Polar Bear Armour makes use of ICECREAM, Magmagel, and Electrical Coils to create an Electrical Field Barrier just above the suit's surface that creates a chilling effect, as well as disperse energy weapons to a degree. The air circulates inside the barrier, keeping the suit cooled, and ICECREAM is used in pipes beneath a ceramic-layered(Ceramics DUC derived to keep it's form even when there are holes in it) Combat Plating to reduce the heat even further, preventing heat from harming the user and cooling the Combat Plating when heated. Likewise, the Barrier also keeps off the rain as it will often get deflected, and especially snow.

Other than that, we've upgraded the mechanisms in the suit to give greater agility and speed of movement, and CAT is used in the helmet to help with sure movements and using the various functions like radio, cameras, and HUD built into the bulky helmet. This also connects with cameras that give full 360 vision which can be placed on smaller screens on the HUD. Likewise, we have thermal imaging and night vision modes. The cameras use an algorithm to piece together the various images from the camera feeds, and the main image display gives a view of where the head would be looking.

We've also taken the improved magmagel batteries so it can continue operating for 12 hours even with the Barrier. Likewise, with the CAT, we no longer need long to get out of the suit, with the back opening and closing up automatically. Last, we've got the same BREATH filters as used in our spacesuits, and a Polar Bear Armour can be sealed for lunar operations.

Overall, the new and improved Polar Bear Armour will be perfect for high heat situations. In cases of cold, it also comes with the same heating system for the Bear Armour, with the Barrier being tuned to allow for hotter air to circulate rather than colder air.

Given Icecream, have a Polar Bear. The ceramic is painted regolith gray-white, with blue accents.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 02:11:57 pm by TricMagic »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 12, 2019, 03:15:16 pm »

Nanook suit

The bear armour is just that: an armour. A set of plates, linked to an exoskeleton to aid movement, a cobbled together first attempt. A good first attempt, sure, but it is not an actual combat suit suitable to the modern battlefields. The time has come for a more modern and refined replacement.

The Nanook is a full body armoured and powered suit for terrestrial and extraterrestrial use. The first big difference is that it no longer has any gap or opening wto the outside environment, except for NBC warfare rated filters which can be controlled by the operator. Generally not used on the ground, it also has the capability to link to an oxygen tank for extended extra-atmospheric use. It also features full climate control with electrical heaters and a cooling system with a STABIL-ICE reservoir to provide a boost in the hottest situations.

The suit is overall bigger than the bear due to the extra gear and its protection is more complete, but the main improvement in defensive capabilities comes not from metal but from an ablative oil-based coating with beyond state of the art performance (thanks DUC) that under heavy heat erodes and protects the underlying COMBAT plating. COMBAT itself is also now an integral part of the design, rather than a modification, hopefully providing enough optimization to offset the slightly bigger size.

Mobility was also an important focus. The electrogel motors were replaced with larger and more modern electrical motors, providing a significant boost in strength. The shock absorbing design of the gauntlet has been expanded to legs and in smaller parts the other joints, allowing greater athletic feats without risk of injury. To match the greater consumption larger magmagel based batteries are installed, enough to have even greater autonomy despite the higher strength and speed. A more peculiar feature however is a cheaper way to integrate some of the drop bear functionality. The suit carries an high pressure vessel for air and a small pump to fill it. The pressure vessel is connected to several cold gas thrusters distributed in strategic points in the suit ( according to balance). This gives a short burst of thrust like the drop bear, which togetehr with enhanced strength and shock absorbers allows for very rapid repositioning. Unlike the rockets however it doesn't use fuel and with time the air tank can be replenished by the on board pump using just electricity. If pre-filled, this can serve also as a basic space manoeuvering system. To aid in controlling all this, the suit is controlled via CAT integration. The system only responds to direct muscle-movement commands and is otherwise basically a series of stationary metal poles, meaning that idle movements, muscle fatigue, and breathing affect aim substantially less than an unaugmented person's movements would.

Nanook also features many minor features to aid the soldier: The helmet has, incorporated, a radio , an external flashlight, and visible and infrared cameras of better quality than the ones available in Bear. Inside, the images of the cameras are displayed on a screen. While the cameras are arranged to provide full coverage, only a normal field of view is displayed, with secondary cameras showing up in smaller "pictures inside the picture", providing awareness without covering up the main view. In case of damage, the faceplate can be lifted to restore sight. All those devices can be controlled by CAT, mapping some movements to the relative commands.
By popular demand, retractable blades are added in the forearms, although the actual benefit in the battlefield is arguable.

Moon Operation Design

Space Design

ICE Designs
ICECREAM: (5) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, m1895, AC

Suit Upgrade Design
Polar Bear Armour
ME-PA-65 "Nanook": (1) Andrea

Talon Design
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 03:37:40 pm by andrea »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 12, 2019, 04:39:19 pm »

Theoretical design`

CYCLE
Cool Yield Concurrent Logic Engine

Meet CYCLE, the worlds first autonomous air/space fighter. Making use of two electrically powered jet(+GOFAST turbojet in the back), the WARMIND, along with a TALON & CLAW turrets. It is capable of supporting ground forces, and swarming enemy craft, the CYCLE is the ultimate in suppression tactics.

To note the parts. First is the center containing the Warmind, a long cylinder covered with a ceramic designed by DUC. This tile is rated for exiting and reentering space, and has amazing heat resistance with low thermal conductivity. Below these tiles are more tiles, creating a layered defense against heat and energy weapons.

Next are the jet assemblies, which stretch out to two wings from the center cylinder.
    ||
()-||-()
   \|/

These are powered by on-board Electrogel batteries, and assisted by air intake as the CYCLE moves forward. And in the back is a GOFAST powered turbojet for speeding up and entering orbit. The turbojet is what is used to get the jet off the ground, and all three jets have can adjust for movement and turns. In Space, it's not as maneuverable due to the lack of air, but the on-board computer can calculate vectors, and receive/hold orders to attack targets. In this case, they can make use of gravity to hit high speeds, and stay up for days at a time before coming back down.

In ordinary Sky Combat however, they shine. With the light weight of titanium and balanced form they can zoom around to strike at targets, or serve as crude missiles for suicide runs ordinary pilots couldn't take.

As usual, the Talon is mounted in front ala Firestorm, though the entire CYCLE itself contains a large amount of ICE for cooling what little heat does reach inside. In Space, it has enough stored to fire 10 shots with the TALON, though 1 ICE cool use is needed for reentry or exit. In atmosphere, it's high speed results in rapid cooling of the TALON, and it can adjust it's aim slightly. With the WARMIND, it's shots are very accurate. Likewise with the CLAW Turrets located along it's back, allowing for truly impressive fly-by shots against aircraft and ground forces both. Indeed, other than it's 4 retractable landing wheels, it can fly upside down or right-side up with no dips in performance, effectively meaning it's CLAWs have a full 360 degrees of attack to use, though this is 180 at any single time. This also gives the Talon that same ability firing forward to hit anywhere ahead of it with ease. Likewise, it's various sensors are recessed with a retractable ceramic layer for exit and reentry.

Last is the WARMIND. The entire system runs off of squadrons, groups of four that can rally around a single Firestorm, or work with a fifth CYCLE designated as commander. Given orders, they can network with local Warthogs and support them. Or simply deal with enemy forces in the sky or orbit. From here, the system runs off a command network, where multiple commanders result in one deferring to the other. In cases the commander is shot down, the CYCLE can cycle to the next in the line of command, resulting in little combat inefficiency when working in larger groups. In most cases though, CYCLEs are more than enough to shoot anything out of the sky or space.

The CYCLE is based off of the coordination of the Warthogs, but it's closer to the Ravenminds. At this point though, the distinction is pretty small. The Cycle will give us a large and disposable air force, and they themselves are effectively immune to heat and plasma due to their space-grade ceramics, speed and maneuverability, though they can be taken down if you can take off the wings. Given said wings are structurally sound, that's a tall task, as even with a damaged jet, they can still use the GOFAST Turbojet to help offset having one functioning wing for long enough to crash into an enemy. Moreover, they should be cheap enough to put the orbital and sky theaters firmly in our grasp.

got to go. Have a sky/space drone.

Edit, removed mentions of missiles.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:50:04 am by TricMagic »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 12, 2019, 06:01:28 pm »

Moon Operation Design

Space Design

ICE Designs
ICECREAM: (5) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, m1895, AC,

Suit Upgrade Design
ME-PA-65 SPACEMARINE: (5) TricMagic, Jilladilla, Madman, Flabort,  DGR
Polar Bear Armour

Talon Design
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:26:10 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 13, 2019, 11:35:06 am »

Blue Bird Project: SORA
Surface Oversight Reconnaissance Aircraft

The SORA is a breakthrough in jet technology. The plane is 92% Titanium, marking it as extremely expensive to make. Our GOFAST-M is highly energy-rich however, making the turbojets in this triangular shaped plane's wings able to reach immense speeds. Beyond that however, lies the secret of the Blue Bird, the air inlet and a pointed, movable cone called a "spike". At speeds higher than Mach 1.6, the engine begins to cease providing additional speed to fuel used, hitting 100% RPM at Mach 3.2. At this point, the afterburners take over, as the Air Inlets are now sucking in air to the engine, boosting the power at no additional fuel cost. This allows it to travel with great fuel efficiency. In fact, the plane can gain even more fuel efficiency by traveling faster still.

It has a huge flight ceiling, requiring pilots to wear the typical space suit Firestorm Pilots use. It's sensors are also the best we can make, capable of camera recording, infrared recording camera, and side-looking airborne radar which can record the ground when tilting the plane.

For weapons, it uses Missile Bays in the bottom of the craft. This allows it to fire Shrikes, and any other guided missile. Though the best defense of the SORA is it's ridiculous speed, surpassing anything in the sky so far.

Speaking of, the SORA makes use of the Swallow to keep track of it's position, and transmit data it records along the Railstation relays in a pinch. In nearly every situation though it will return to base to give the recorded data more directly.

When it comes to reconnaissance, the SORA is king. We will have perfect maps of the terrain, and be able to see our opponents easily. And if we ever develop a true guided bomb, it can also serve as a precision bomber. Oracle needs this information to predict the enemy, and nothing beats near real-time positions of enemy forces.

This is more based on the Blackbird talk. Though you can write-up your own. It will be very expensive, but you can't beat the data it will bring in.

Revision
Arctic Tern

This is a two-phase item. The Arctic Missile uses GOFAST-M for a highly energetic turbojet nozzle. Using four wings and adjustment at the nozzle, it can fly extremely high and/or far, followed by a quick descent to the target. It likewise has a small Swallow-based Birdbrain, capable of adjusting it's programmed course to stay on target, and sensors in the cone to hit a target once it is close enough, along with highly effective ceramic plates to keep it cool in the heat of atmosphere as they descend at supersonic speeds. And four Tereshkova-effect wings to help with lift and control.

The Tern Console is used for giving orders, connecting to the network of Railstations, Warnet, Ravenminds, and Oracle as needed. It has all the data needed to program the Arctic Missiles on their very long flight path

Perhaps the most impressive thing is the fact the Tern can be connected to a base which can be carried into orbit with Arctic Missiles, and left there. It will adjust the connected base's thrusters to remain in orbit. And should it receive the orders, it can fire the Arctic Missiles on a strike path to eliminate targets in space.

As for payload, it uses either ICE or HE. What makes these Arctic Missiles so powerful is that they don't need to be fired from the theater they're aiming at, being sub-orbital.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 02:47:47 pm by TricMagic »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 21, 2019, 03:30:06 am »

Breaking the tie, since I'm okay with both designs.
Moon Operation Design

Space Design

ICE Designs
ICECREAM: (4) 10ebbor10, Powder Miner, m1895, AC

Suit Upgrade Design
ME-PA-65 SPACEMARINE: (6) TricMagic, Jilladilla, Madman, Flabort,  DGR, NUKE9.13
Polar Bear Armour

Talon Design
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 07, 2019, 09:20:43 am »

While not for this turn, I'm going to write something that could be improved writing-wise.

High Altitude/Velocity Bomber Plane: Albatross

Taking from Mereth's Space and Air experiance, the Albatross serves two roles. The first is as a Scout Platform, capable of taking images and then using an onboard system to send it back to the ground, and to Oracle. In this manner it can record enemy placements. The Second is a Bomber, striking from an altitude no other Aratam Craft can match.

Using Turbofans and GOFAST-M, it can reach high speeds for a low cost. Using the very spacesuits we've developed allows for high-altitude work. And it's wingspan is wide enough for it's body to hold 4 mounts for weapons, including the ability to attach a CLAW defense to the weapon mounts.

Likewise, it has SWALLOW-derived systems for targeting and bomb drops, along with flight paths, capable of connecting to the weapons used like Shrikes or the aforementioned Railstation-derived Claw assembly. This makes it fairly accurate no matter the altitude.

Perhaps most important to talk about is the hanger and bombs. The Hanger has hooks for cargo or bombs. And the Bombs themselves are a ceramic shelled around a steel armor layer. This protects it from heat based weapons and kinetic. It also has fans connected to a birdbrain computer, which is automatically programmed by the Swallow of the Albatross to stay on general target. These bombs, once pushed out, align facing down, and the wings adjust so they all hit as programmed. Granted, this isn't very accurate, but when you've got a bombing run, being able to mass drop them is enough to take out any formations. However, there are definitely cases where accuracy occurs. Mostly when targeting huge structures. For that, they've got an optional radar that will let them adjust course to the target's silhouette. The Meteor definitely qualifies, as do buildings and ships. And dropped from a high enough altitude, they go very fast and are very accurate in such situations. The Bombs are shaped like a Missile, and in fact, the basics of them are derived from Shrikes. They carry about 50kg of HE or ICE, and activate on contact with the surface of either the ground or sea. In other words, hitting something hard enough to go off, a kinetic sensor, combined with their radar to tell when they've hit the ground/in the sea after falling far enough in the case of softer landings. Another option is a timer that can be set, so they go off after penetrating with their heavy body. They are very smart, mostly because of being programmable before dropping them by the Albatross.

For armor on the Albatross itself, we've got Ceramic, on top of titanium. The core is Steel in some cases, though this is mostly up to Engineering. Ideally, the total cost should be 6 Ore. Unlike most other aircraft, we do not use Combat Plating, as we want to defend against heat-based weaponry. Nor do we use ICE, as we want to keep Oil costs down. We're also setting DUC to the Ceramic. Hopefully they can make something aerodynamic enough that can also be replaced easily.

Overall, an expensive Bomber that can move fast, and hit targets hard from out of reach. With enough defenses to survive, and the smarts to do it. The rest of our Air Force, specifically the Firestorm, should be able to protect it, so it can strike what they cannot. It's hopefully going to be Very Long Ranged to Extreme Range, as no ICE is being used, as well as GOFAST-M with Turbofan Engines, allowing good Oil use.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:28:59 am by TricMagic »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: October 19, 2019, 08:43:12 pm »

Design: ME-PA-65 something something something SPACEMARINE
(Normal) (3+4) = 7: Superior Craftsmanship

Unfortunately Public Affairs has rejected our proposed slogan of "spinal cords? Who needs 'em!". But we'll persevere.

The ME-PA-65, known to some as "SPACEMARINE", is the next generation of Bear Armor. It uses an improved version of CAT (somewhat inspired by people accidentally switching between infrared/regular views when they think they're moving their tongue) that is less.. crude. Relatively-speaking.
It still requires the "minor" surgical procedure to implement Neurogel jacks in your upper spine and so on. Though we've made these jacks a bit smaller and have managed to refine effective bandwidth, allowing for more precise control of things like individual fingers and more. Certainly not as precise as the real thing, but worth it considering the advantages they offer.
We've also found a way to locate and tap into some neural signals most likely used for functionality or limbs that have since disappeared via evolution. Meaning we can have the CAT user control a number of things that aren't associated to existing limb movements. It takes a while to get used to and is still quite primitive, but the potential is there. For now we're using it for visual feed changing, a few general utility functions, and so on. At this point it's only a few "spaces" to tap into.

Magmagel is used for the suit now, allowing for longer-lasting charge and significantly quicker charging. We've taken the opportunity given by the CAT control to greatly increase suit stability making greater use of already-existing shock dampeners. Weapons can be held practically perfectly still. General unconscious movements and breathing and whatnot will not trigger the suit motors.
On the note of motors, they are stronger. Anyone in this armor will be able to carry heavier things, run faster, and more. We've found that those wearing this armor can run at a consistent 9 m/s or 20 miles per hour without stopping or tiring.

Armor is significantly greater than before. Ceramic plating covers both sides of COMBAT armor; while idle heat dissipation is decreased, the properties of the ceramic greatly reduce the relative efficacy of heat-based weaponry and prevent COMBAT armor that's been melted through absorbing projectile energy from affecting the human inside. Turns out they aren't huge fans of being trapped inside a suit full of molten metal. The cowards.
In addition to the general improvement of armor, the suit is actually designed around this and the use of powered movement, rather than it being the stapling of extra armor and motors on top of a strange WW1-era full-plating suit. This means much more coverage over previously uncovered areas and, through the use of a few additional materials, it means we can seal the suit against the vacuum of space.
A STABIL-ICE coolant system runs through the armor, keeping the user comfortable and in the case of COMBAT armor failing, pressurized STABIL-ICE fills the affected area to prevent further damage to the armor and user due to heat. In general use, the STABIL-ICE lasts more than long enough for any potential need. However, it's very possible to run out of STABIL-ICE if you're in a hot environment and taking damage.

We asked the DUC for a high-grade filter to install in the armor. They then brought us to their department (which feels a lot bigger than since we last checked) and showed us their best filter. When we mentioned that we wouldn't be able to fit a filter bigger than Grizzly Armor inside our design, they grumbled about us "not having any creativity" and reached into a bin and threw us a "low-grade" filter. We're pretty confident it'll do a good job, considering how DUC chemical accidents are common enough that they don't even bother telling anyone anymore and yet still no casualties.
In an atmosphere, this will allow operation in pretty much any environment and resistance to potential hazardous gases and materials. Without the presence of oxygen, the PA-65 has an internal tank rated for about 20 minutes of use. Dedicated oxygen tanks to be fitted on the back can be provided as needed, though.

The faceplate here is designed to be kept closed. Learning from the Grizzly, we've included effective miniaturized cameras on the sides of the head which have their feed projected onto the inside of the baseplate with accommodations for the extreme proximity to the user's eyes. Cameras can switch to IV, but cannot magnify (currently they give very rough approximate equality with regular sight).
A WALK-TALK is integrated into every suit and is linked to the aforementioned non-limb-based-CAT-control to allow for easy and convenient handsfree use. While implementing this, we saw an opportunity -- if the soldier is close enough to an active Ravenmind, the WALK-TALK will receive data that is then overlaid on top of the visual feed. We can't fit too much data here due to bandwidth and computing limitations on the PA-65's end, but it is capable of highlighting Ravenmind-detected enemy assets and potentially conveying critical ORACLE-A information (which is unlikely, given that ORACLE-A is more of a strategy thing rather than tactics; also we've noticed that apparently the supercomputer is starting to struggle to process the increasing amounts of data it's getting).

The PA-65 should be a devastating upgrade to our forces, upgrading nearly every aspect of an infantry soldier. It costs 5 Ore, 1 Oil, and 2 Magmatite, making it Expensive. It will complement existing Bear armor for now.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Revision Phase of Spring 1965 has begun. You have a new Lunar Region to deploy an Operation on if you wish.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1964 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #1001 on: October 19, 2019, 09:19:46 pm »

ME-LEM-64 Cavern Resource Acquisition and Transport of Essential Resources (CRATER)
Based on MARIA and HOPE, CRATER makes use of every bit of Merethan technology ever produced. An Operation intended, first of all, to extract useful material from the lunar surface, CRATER is based around expansion and permanent habitation. In the proudest Merethan tradition, everything is intended to happen underground, though as the Operation is intended to be located around South or North Pole craters containing water ice, we'll have to work a little on the surface to keep a supply of water moving into the base. Luckily, the new SPACEMARINE suits allow for that work to happen relatively easily.

An extension to FIG, titled the Air Processing and Production of Lovely Edibles System (APPLES), allows for much more complete recycling by simply using a wider variety of plants and the use of lens and mirrors to get lots of light from the surface to the underground hydroponics setups, and powerful lights using stored energy provided by solar panels for lunar nights. Together, the system (with human waste recycling) produces a nearly closed system, allowing for greatly reduced reliance on Starknight resupply. And of course, as the tunneling locates water ice in caverns, lava tubes, North/South Pole craters and the like, we'll be able to use that to help fuel our life support systems.

CRATER is a warren of tunnels and chambers primarily carved by Excavators, making use of every bit of HOPE tech we have to continue growing the compound and extend the mining operations. At first, it is little more than a MARIA setup with a permanent crew base set a short distance underground and using SPACEMARINE suits instead of clumsy SERFs....but as more Starknights arrive to collect materials, they steadily drop off more and more pieces of equipment necessary to expand the habitable parts of the base and reduce the reliance on external resupply. We expect a CRATER base to immediately begin producing resources just like MARIA does now, but gradually expand into its own mined-out areas to provide more and more self-sustenance for the base.

Firestorm bases are erected on the surface for defense as the colony expands, as well as sporadic mounted TALONs for additional defense. Aratam may wish to come take the Moon from us, but it will be deadly difficult for them.

Sufficiently large CRATER outposts will begin to support other nations' science experiments and people, launched via ANGEL along with life support. Aratamites will be invited, because the international sections of CRATER outposts are not connected to the military parts of each outpost. All airlock inner doors are accessed via code only, and the outer doors of military airlocks are secured likewise, to ensure that people go only where they are supposed to, primarily for safety but also to maintain operational security. Note that every country will be paying us for the resources required to land their setups and house their people on the Moon---at cost. We won't be trying to earn a profit from this at the moment as that'd require bureaucracy, and also because those pesky Aratamites think that their space elevator is actually any good. It's not, clearly.

I honestly did NOT review this old proposal much, as far as I'm aware it's still up-to-date. Opinions, please? Updated as per a suggestion from NUKE and my own review.

Updated again, to be much less difficult and more focused on mining.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:29:02 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Spring 1965 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #1002 on: October 20, 2019, 08:17:29 am »

Aratam only learns of it the phase after, in the strategy phase. Making use of their elevator for this purely civilian construction will likely reduce the difficulty. Our weapons are only for self defense after all, and can be brought in through Starknights regularly.

Other than that, looks fine.

CRATER: (1) TricMagic
Use Aratam's Space Elevator tpo help with construction/logistics: (1) TricMagic

Fun fact, though they'd learn of it during the strategy phase, we'd have already built it, and may be sending any ore we extracted through that STC. The lowered difficulty would be nice.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 20, 2019, 06:48:41 pm »

CRATER: (2) TricMagic, Flabort
Use Aratam's Space Elevator to help with construction/logistics: (2) TricMagic, Flabort

I recall wanting this before, I don't see any way in which it's been depreciated yet, I don't know whether or not I voted for it when it was proposed before, but I want it now.

I feel it's risky trying to get ANGEL to construct it, but I feel it's worth the risk.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 20, 2019, 11:22:21 pm »

CRATER: (3) TricMagic, Flabort, Powder Miner
Use Aratam's Space Elevator to help with construction/logistics: (3) TricMagic, Flabort, Powder Miner
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 74