Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82239 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1961 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #270 on: February 08, 2018, 04:34:12 am »

Quote from: MOAR OIL! OR RATHER, MOAR POWER, WHICH MEANS LESS OIL USED, WHICH MEANS- OH NEVERMIND
STEAM (2): The Just Writer, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 08, 2018, 07:43:37 am »

Quote from: MOAR OIL! OR RATHER, MOAR POWER, WHICH MEANS LESS OIL USED, WHICH MEANS- OH NEVERMIND
STEAM (3): The Just Writer, NUKE9.13, Madman
I might propose a MUCH simpler geothermal heating/cooling revision concept, wherein a smaller hole is dug for each community, which reaches down to a layer at a permanent acceptable temperature, heats/cools water to that temperature, and then circulates it through the homes of the community to keep them all at a reasonable temperature. It'd save tons of electricity, natural gas, oil, or coal on heating.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 08, 2018, 08:57:52 am »

while nice, STEAM feels ambitious for a revision. Therefore, I want to propose a simpler alternative, leaving geothermal extraction to a future design (which also allows waffles to reasonably make getting a second untied oil harder to get without having to handwave stuff). For example, in the future we may invent Thermal electrogel that turns the immense heat directly into electricity, which would also generally have good side effects on our electrogel and provide better cooling.

But now, for this turn when we need the oil absolutely, lets keep it simple:

GASOLINE - Great Acoustic/Seismic Oil Location INitiative and Extraction
Earth Ear was developed as a military tool to detect obstacles and surface movements, but it should not be forgotten that it is the best seismic imaging sensor in the world. With a bit of work, it is retuned to detect oil bearing rock formations. Using surface and underground Earth ears in a coordinated survey of the tundra, including one mounted in the borehole for better triangulation, we expect to fully map our lands for oil deposits, leading to a significant increase in production.

STEAM (3): The Just Writer, NUKE9.13, Madman
GASOLINE (1): Andrea
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:00:29 am by andrea »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 08, 2018, 09:41:47 am »

Hmm... I mean, I don't think geothermal power would actually be that difficult. But the possibility of using thermal-electrogel later instead of conventional geothermal is an intriguing one.
Yeah, alright, I'll vote for GASOLINE. It has a decent chance of working, whilst leaving MAGMA with untapped potential.

STEAM (2): The Just Writer, Madman
GASOLINE (2): Andrea, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 08, 2018, 09:56:53 am »

STEAM (1): The Just Writer
GASOLINE (3): Andrea, NUKE9.13, Madman

Of course, we DO need to remember that eventually the civilian economy isn't going to need more replacement Oil (easy way to make the productivity of, say, a synthetic-oil revision after the STEAM design/revision really low/nonexistent).
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

The Just Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • I made my own avatar in From The Depths.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 09, 2018, 07:09:54 am »

GASOLINE (4): Andrea, NUKE9.13, Madman, The Just Writer

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 09, 2018, 07:31:40 am »

GASOLINE (3):  NUKE9.13, Madman, The Just Writer

Considering I earned a cumulative -infinity to my next action, maybe it is better if I don't vote?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 09, 2018, 12:31:40 pm »

Well I'll cancel out your lack of vote.

GASOLINE (4):  NUKE9.13, Madman, The Just Writer, FallacyofUrist

Do note that if you hold to that logic, you'll never be able to vote again...
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 09, 2018, 12:34:39 pm »

I just need to stack enough penalties to overflow to +infinity.

That or be given amnesty, I wonder if I have a spare get out of jail card from monopoly.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 10, 2018, 04:26:18 am »

GASOLINE - Great Acoustic/Seismic Oil Location INitiative and Extraction
Earth Ear was developed as a military tool to detect obstacles and surface movements, but it should not be forgotten that it is the best seismic imaging sensor in the world. With a bit of work, it is retuned to detect oil bearing rock formations. Using surface and underground Earth ears in a coordinated survey of the tundra, including one mounted in the borehole for better triangulation, we expect to fully map our lands for oil deposits, leading to a significant increase in production.
Revision: GASOLINE
Normal: (2+2) = 4: Below Average

Some good news and bad news.

The good news is that GASOLINE works. Super cool, amazing, and all that jazz. Oil is configured to appear as a flashing yellow in GASOLINE-equipped Earth Ear systems. It works, it finds oil, cool.

The bad news?
Turns out that our pals over in the civic part of our government have been hard at work putting in regulations ever since that tiny little "freezing-an-entire-town" incident earlier. People are still on edge on that, apparently. And one of these new regulations affects us. More specifically, we legally cannot survey for oil underneath Mereth due to some unscientific political babble about "compromising the integrity of the earth underneath civilian populace." We've told them that GASOLINE has only ever caused a sinkhole two times in testing, but that's just not good enough for them.
Soooo we're in a mildly tough position. We have GASOLINE, and it works, but we can't use it anywhere near our civilian centers at the moment. We've found some oil elsewhere, but it's going to take TC to be brought back to Mereth for actual use.

On a side note, it turns out that the Merethan Acronym Society of Technology/Equipment Reference (or "M.A.S.T.E.R.") was having their quad-annual meeting just over where we had our first sinkhole. Engineer Andrea was the first to fall in, yelling something related with sinkhole-puns on the way down. Engineers Nuke and Just Writer happened to be having an argument over this year's coveted MASTER ACRONYMER title, when Engineer Nuke pushed Engineer Just Writer into the sinkhole after a questionable acronym. Engineer Just Writer managed to grab Engineer Nuke's arm on his way down, taking both engineers down.
Engineers Andrea, Nuke, and Just Writer have all been recovered via Excavator and are undergoing treatment at Mereth's best hospital. They have broke many bones but should still hopefully be able to continue working in the Design Division as needed.

We've found enough oil to count for +1 Oil (Import). Unfortunately we do not have spare TC, and thus do not gain the benefits of the extra Oil from GASOLINE this turn. A political liason hints that we could try addressing the problem with regulation to remove the requirement for importing of the new oil; on the other hand, someone in the military just asked "why don't we have cargo ships?"
We have multiple paths to take in the future regarding this matter, at the very least.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Combat Phase of Fall 1961 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 18, 2018, 05:35:24 pm »

Combat Report: Winter 1961

Mountains
We're lucky that they aren't widely deploying their Tesla Rifle and that they didn't have armor support. We're going to need a fairly substantial change to see continued success in the desert.

The Sea/Plains
At sea, we can't do a substantial amount against their air attacks because the Chillwind just isn't that useful at sea due to inaccuracy and relatively low fire rate and because we have very little presence in the air here. Occasionally a Blizzard is close enough to help, but their Expensive Spearhead-Bs mean that even if a Blizzard gets there in time it can't do much.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Winter 1961 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

The Just Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • I made my own avatar in From The Depths.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1961 - Design Phase)
« Reply #281 on: February 18, 2018, 06:39:43 pm »

Design Proposal: Modular Armored Vehicle ("MAV") System

It has come to the attention of the Mereth Design Division that the Merethian Army is heavily lacking in... just about every single category of armored vehicle. To this end, a proposal has been submitted for an extremely versatile land vehicle capable of easily being fitted for literally any role that High Command can think of.

Of course, just making a generalist vehicle would result in something that tried to do everything well at once and only had mediocre performance at best. Therefore, a different approach was developed in the form of extreme modularity. Yes, the basic chassis and hull would be standardized, but every other major component for the MAV would be designed to be easily swapped for alternative systems intended for different roles.

Armor plating, the suspension, the command pod, the engine, extra equipment, and the turret are all designed to be easily swapped out for alternative loadouts in mere minutes, meaning that any given MAV is capable of rapidly adjusting its loadout for the mission at hand. In total, the MAV can easily be configured as a logistics vehicle, Infantry Fighting Vehicle, Main Battle Tank, Self-Propelled Artillery, Penguin Missile Launcher, or Command Vehicle at nearly a moment's notice. Even better, all configurations have been designed to be *just* small enough to fit through an Excavator tunnel, allowing the MAV to fully capitalize on the mobility advantages granted by such tunnels.

An additional effect of this extreme modularity is that it is extremely easy for the MAV to be repaired; just yank the damaged module, slot in a new one, and you're good to go. If it was the chassis that got damaged, that just means you can slap everything undamaged on a brand new chassis and still be good to go. A crane is included as a MAV module to make modifications on-the-go feasible.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1961 - Design Phase)
« Reply #282 on: February 18, 2018, 06:49:41 pm »

ME-MRAR-61 'Firedrake'
Based somewhat off of our existing MG and rifle, the Firedrake is a specially-constructed 7.62 mm select-fire assault rifle, firing powerful cartridges using a new GOFAST-based [but not liquid] propellant. It has an integrated low-magnification scope that can be flipped to the side, revealing a set of iron sights beneath. It has a 20-round box magazine, a 30-round box magazine, or, for Bear Troopers, a 100-round box mag, or the ability to take a disintegrating-belt feed (the belt just replaces the magazine). The largest innovation, however, comes from the projectiles. In them is a tiny amount of an incredibly volatile mixture of the nastiest chemicals the DUCs have ever gotten their hands on, a few ounces of which can burn through a tank and the concrete floor beneath it. We're not actually sure what's in there, the liaison between the sane people and the DUC people had a fatal heart attack in the middle of the list. We think it included "chlorine trifluoride". And frankly, we don't want to know. We've decided to call this new horror FIRE: Fluoride Incredibly Reactive Exothermic, in honor of the way it reacts with everything to create quite the exothermic result.

Who needs armor when you can just melt the entire enemy army?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2018, 07:48:25 pm »

I wrote this a few weeks ago when TC-based designs were being discussed. At this point I think a military revision may be better, but I haven't been keeping track of our TC/resource balance, so maybe not. In any case, I'll post it for perusal anyway.

The Mereth ME-"are we even doing these numbers anymore" "Pocket Rocket" Propelled Cargo Delivery System

After the most recent bi-weekly Mereth Defense Research and Development Agency team-building glue-sniffing tournament, one Merethan engineer suddenly turned to another and the following conversation ensued:

"Dude!"
"Huh?"
"What if our ICE rockets didn't explode?"
"What?"
"What if our ICE rockets didn't explode?!"
"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, then Aratam would overrun us and we would all die?"
"No, not THOSE rockets. What if we had OTHER rockets that didn't explode?"
"For what?"
"Well, we could put other things in the rockets, like tanks of oil or letters from the front lines, and then rocket them off to wherever they need to go, right?"
"... Dude."
"Dude?"
"Duuuuuuude."

Reportedly, both engineers then fell into a sinkhole and were never heard from again, but luckily the old theory that "if Einstein hadn't invented calculus, somebody else would've soon after" turned out to be true, and by the next week the Propelled Cargo Delivery System was entering initial feasibility trials at the Agency's private aeronautics lab.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2018, 07:59:52 pm »

Right, here's a mech proposal. Let me know if I forgot any really important.

ME-MAS-61 'Grizzly Armor'
Our lack of proper vehicular armor has been a detriment to our forces for far too long, and now we will address this with the Grizzly Armor. The Grizzly Armor can be more or less summed up as a vastly upscaled Bear Armor, to the point where we can no longer classify it as power armor, but as a vehicle instead; a Mechanized Assault Suit. The Grizzly is large, and its pilot resides in the control pod in the Suit's chest; it's large enough where it'll likely have to crouch to work its way through excavator tunnels. The pilot wears a special suit hooked up to the Suit's control system, translating the pilots movement to the Suit in a manner similar to the Bear Armor (although with 100% less worry of accidentally mulching the pilot's limbs!).
The arms are modular for their armament, although the 'off hand' arms usually have a hand on them; Arm modules include a Bumblebee; a massive Shield much like our Bear Troopers wield for the 'off hand'; and a smaller buckler to allow the arm to still perform semi-intricate tasks easily. All modules other than the Shield and Cannon possess a Velociraptor Autocannon or vehicle ICE Thrower as well for anti-infantry use. Said weapons modules come with an autoloader, meant to load shells in from frankly quite massive clips which themselves can be reloaded by the 'off hand'. There's also a rocket arm loaded with SARUKH compatible rockets as well.
Armor wise, the Grizzly features a heavy duty 100mm on the frontal chest plate with 75mm on the sides and rear of it, protecting the pilot well; and the rest of the Suit features 75mm frontal armor with 50mm side and rear. The armor is made from Manganese Steel much like the Tiger Armor and Bear Armor, which is naturally electrically resistant as well as incredibly hard. Of course, it also features an 'undersuit' consisting of a loose mesh of copper cables, leading down to contact the ground from the feat. This undersuit is to provide a path of minimal resistance in order to ground incoming lightning through a path that doesn't include the pilot or any delicate systems. The Shield module also possesses a similar defensive backing, routing the lightning down to a conductive spike on the bottom of the shield.
The powerplant of the Suit is a GOFAST using engine/generator for ease of refueling in the field, and the limbs are powered by a combination of electric engines and hydraulics.
Finally, their are no direct viewports, instead the 'head' of the Suit possesses the end of a fiberscope, the output of which is displayed towards a helmet the pilot wears; granting them vision while not having a glaring weakspot in the chest pod's defenses.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 09:07:40 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 74