Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82226 times)

The Just Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • I made my own avatar in From The Depths.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (1961 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2018, 06:19:09 pm »

M3-Sorraria-GPMG: 1 The Just Writer

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2018, 06:22:17 pm »

I should probably vote huh?
Quote from: wind chill
Improved ICE Precooler: (2) The Just Writer, Andrea
STABIL-ICE: (4) NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Madman, Jilladilla

M3-Sorraria-GPMG: (2) The Just Writer, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2018, 06:38:55 pm »

I fished this one from the archives.

-AS-1924: A light machine gun using 7.62mm rifle rounds. It is gas-operated, with a box magazine, a bottom-fed 25 round rectangular mag or 60 round drum. It includes an aluminium stock, magazines and fixtures, which are lighter than wood fixtures used on previous guns, though the barrel, action etc are steel. It is easily man portable at 8 kilos, allowing one man to carry the gun and a decent amount of ammo, though AS-1924 gunners are still often accompanied by a man to spot and carry additional ammo. It can be fired while standing or kneeling, with its pistol grip and overhead foregrip, but is most accurate when used with a bipod. Sustained fire (through multiple magazines) can cause overheating. Shoots around 500 rounds a minute. Costs 3 ore.

It has a pistol grip and magazines, drum and box. Would be considerably easier to handle than the sorraia and easier to reload ( sorraia has a belt with a belt box). Disadvantage is a lower fire rate. Which makes it a worse machinegun, although it is still plenty good as a rifle.

M3-Sorraria-GPMG: (2) The Just Writer, Jilladilla
AS-1924: (1) Andrea

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2018, 06:54:27 pm »

To be fair, we are getting a MG mostly for use as an assault rifle for our Bear Troopers.

M3-Sorraria-GPMG: (1) The Just Writer
AS-1924: (2) Andrea, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2018, 06:56:12 pm »

Although, I am wondering why exactly we designed a machinegun with a 25 bullet box magazine and a postol grip back then. (to be fair, it also has a 60 bullet drum magazine)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 15, 2018, 09:38:22 pm »

I hate to sabotage my own side, but shouldn't we have a result of 4, not 5, on the Penguin? (2+3)-1 = 4, not 5.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2018, 09:40:44 pm »

I just made a typo in that part - it should be (3+3)-1, actually.
Though generally speaking if I actually did make a mistake any time other than right after posting it, I wouldn't retroactively change it unless it's a particularly crazy mistake.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 15, 2018, 09:41:33 pm »

M3-Sorraria-GPMG: (2) The Just Writer, Madman

Two birds, one (and a half) stone(s). One revision would make it far more suitable for power armor assault rifle usage (And add some neat gimmick like ICE bullets for extra damage to armor, where it uses mixed belts and the ICE bullets strike, freeze the armor, and then regular bullets shatter the now-brittle metal).
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2018, 03:02:43 am »

We could spend a revision on 'Bear Armour Equipment', modifying the Sorraia, making a shield, maybe rigging some sort of shoulder-mounted rpg.

And our unpowered infantry and defensive installations will prefer the Sorraia as well. I'll vote for the slightly less out of date MG.
Long Live United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 16, 2018, 05:15:39 am »

M3-Sorraria-GPMG: (3) The Just Writer, Madman, NUKE9.13

Me, I am not a fan of spending a revision to adapt weapons to the bear armor. I would rather get a ready to use gun without having to spend an action on it. Sorraia isn't made to be fired by a lone man, while moving, reloading it will be troublesome until we do the revision. Unpowered infantry may have its days numbered if we ever manage to get more resources, anyway.

Nevertheless, added your vote to the votebox for the sake of easy GM readability.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2018, 01:44:47 pm »

Jotting down some ideas from the Discord, to be done at some indeterminate future date.

MAGMA: The Mantle Access Geothermal Mining Array(acronym by The Just Writer) is an ambitious project, that promises to solve Mereth's burgeoning demand for both power and resources in one fell swoop.
It is, in layman's terms, a big hole in the ground.
But it is also so much more. Utilising Excavators, DUC-devised explosives, and more "conventional" mining equipment, we are capable of working our way through rock at a comparatively blistering pace. Earth Ears give us a clearer picture of what we are getting into. As we dig, our work is initially shored up with Instant Road concrete, giving workers plenty of time to install supports and other underground infrastructure- like pipelines of ICE, that feed 'sprinklers' that keep the temperature bearable many kilometers below the surface.
There is also tech devised specifically for this project. A revolution in geology, brought about by an increased interest in the underground, facilitated by advanced computing, has shown that the impossible is possible- we can, and indeed should, dig a borehole extending down to the Earth's mantle. I mean, we might not reach it on our first go. But even getting just a few kilometers down, the rewards will be great. The density of valuable minerals is greater the further down you go*, meaning that we can expect to run into exceptionally pure veins of every metal under the sun (or rather, under the earth), greatly increasing our nation's Ore output. In addition, the geothermal heat at these great depths can be harnessed (by pumping water down the mine to be heated, then returned to the surface to produce electricity), providing vast amounts of electricity to the civilian and military sectors. As the demand for Oil from power plants drops, more will become available for military use.
Initial efforts may not quite reach the mantle. However, as technology improves, we may revisit MAGMA, letting us attain ever greater depths.
Long Live United Forenia!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2018, 05:39:53 pm »

STABIL-ICE

This slight reformulation of ICE allows us to control at which temperatures ICE freezes something. Chemically mostly similar to the original ICE compound, and with identical performance, STABIL-ICE is special in that it is a semi-thermo stable compount. Below certain temperatures (which depend on the exact formulation) it simply does not decay. This allows us to use large quantities of ICE without fearing to overdo it.

The compound is expected to have great results in domestic icecream production, power generation, and of course our jet engines.
Revision: STABIL-ICE
Normal: (3+2) = 5: Average

STABIL-ICE is poised to redefine Mereth's icecream industry. By modifying the compound to rely on a catalyst to fully react, we can introduce varying amounts of different specially-made catalysts to prevent ICE from reacting below certain temperatures.
We've taken the liberty of creating a new form of ice cream using this new innovative ICE variant that simply does not melt at all. Merethan ice cream is already being imported overseas, and is even seeing an introduction into the black markets of Aratam. Sure, the use of STABIL-ICE directly in the ice cream itself is controversial. Sure, consumer's stomachs may briefly be kept at ice cream temperatures. But the Mereth military believes in quality products.

It also works for the Blizzard's aT-J60gi engines, we suppose. STABIL-ICE is just as effective as regular ICE in cooling but without the whole "rendering the entire engine a nonfunctional chunk of ice" flaw. The ability to simply just add STABIL-ICE to cool the engine instead of carefully monitoring the amount of ICE added has slightly increased engine simplicity, but that's not the main benefit. We can now use ICE in the aT-J60gi engines without diluting it massively beforehand, greatly increasing fuel efficiency.
The Blizzard with these improvements is now considered "Long-range", able to go further than any other jet in our arsenal. It should be able to fly over the sea, though it'll see limited effectiveness there as it can only cover a portion of the sea and navigation & targeting is quite hard given the Blizzard's equipment.

STABIL-ICE does tend to decay more over time to regular ICE, however. The new formula is harder to prevent from reacting at all, even if the lack of the activation temperature drastically reduces the rate of reaction. While still fine for the ice cream (and jet engines) we have at the moment, it may not be the best thing to use for any design that can't expect routine maintenance and ability to receive new STABIL-ICE.

Import: M3 Sorraia GPMG
The M3 Sorraia GPMGs and blueprints come on time, and our Bear-armored troopers are very eager to begin wielding them casually. Our soldiers in Bear Armor should actually be able to wield them quite effectively, though reloading and accuracy will both suffer minor yet very notable penalties. Even if the gun can be easily held by soldiers in Bear Armor, it's designed to be used mounted.
With our resources, it will be Cheap.

M3 Sorraia GPMG: [L] A 7.62mm machine gun fed from a belt. 50-round belts can be strung together for extended fire or stored in a belt box attached to the Sorraia, which for practical purposes is similar to a magazine. It uses a recoil action, and is configured to fire around 800 rounds per minute, achieved with the help of a muzzle booster (which looks like a flared end on the barrel). Weighs 22 pounds. Comes with a bipod, or tripod for emplacements. It uses copper heat sinks, which are now shrouded. It has a changeable barrel, which is necessary for emplacement use. It is effective to about 800 yards when mounted. Costs 2 ore.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

Due to the potential displayed by the Design Division and the importance of the war, the government and military of Mereth have announced a plan ramp up military and military R&D spending; Aratam has done the same. As a consequence, designs and revisions (and the subsequent combat reports) will be done each season instead of each year.
The Combat Phase of Spring 1961 has begun.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Spring 1961 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2018, 05:50:54 pm »

That went well, let's hope it's good enough.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Spring 1961 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #238 on: January 18, 2018, 04:55:04 pm »

Okay, that extra resource changes things. Do we take it?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Summer 1961 - Design Phase)
« Reply #239 on: January 18, 2018, 05:04:00 pm »

Combat Report Summer 1961

The Mountains
Our lack of any armored support is hurting us here, but we still managed to pull through thanks to the fact that their armor is quite awful at taking out infantry.

The Sea & Plains
Our navy is still quite unquestionable worse than Aratam's, but with the long-range Blizzards it's somewhat less-so. We were very close to taking the botched landing as an opportunity to advance at sea, but our navy wasn't up to the task. Luckily our beach defense helped prevent Aratam from gaining a foothold. The Penguin helped defending our beaches, but it would be useless at sea as it's exclusively truck-launched and relies entirely on visual guidance.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Summer 1961 has begun.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 74