Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60679 times)

brightfractal

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Gazes Into Beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Winter 1964 - Design Phase)
« Reply #645 on: June 25, 2019, 01:43:47 am »

Design:
RA(M)P Gun (0) "
"Albatross" Heavy Plasma Rifle (4): Avetruetotheimperator, BBB, Rockeater, The Ensorceler
"Blackout" Electronics Combat/Multirole Aircraft (5): MoP, TTE, McDreich, Blood_Librarian, brightfractal
Recombinant Munitions:
Sentient Weapon Growth Facilities:
"Aurora" Assault Carrier:
Daedalus Assault Aircraft (1) : Blood_Librarian

Research Credit?:
Only if the design is a Plasma Gun (4): Blood_Librarian, Avetruetotheimperator, BBB, The Ensorceler
Yes (4): MoP, TTE, McDreich, Rockeater, brightfractal
No:
ECM if we roll decently will counter there air superiority and missile systems.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 25, 2019, 12:43:39 pm »

Five votes for "Yes" on the Research Credit. Not four.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 25, 2019, 12:50:53 pm »

Design:
RA(M)P Gun (0) "
"Albatross" Heavy Plasma Rifle (5): Avetruetotheimperator, BBB, Rockeater, The Ensorceler, Nidhunter
"Blackout" Electronics Combat/Multirole Aircraft (5): MoP, TTE, McDreich, Blood_Librarian, brightfractal
Recombinant Munitions:

Research Credit?:
Only if the design is a Plasma Gun (4): Blood_Librarian, Avetruetotheimperator, BBB, The Ensorceler
Yes (5): MoP, TTE, McDreich, Rockeater, brightfractal
No:

As per Discord.
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 25, 2019, 02:33:46 pm »

Tis a knife edge for the votes, so I'll put in what I think a little: Most of what I would want to say, MoP mentioned (and put it better than I would too.)

However, another thing I want to point out. Mereth computers dominate us in the sky. Completely and utterly. Our SEEMS are useless against it, I doubt guardians would fare much better. It gets 10 times worse in space to have that disadvantage, primarily because the extreme ranges and calculations demand good processing, and less importantly, our astrals could well end up completely useless in space due to how astral may need many humans to... function I guess.
Plasma weaponry will only help a little in the air, but likely near nothing in space. We already have gauss weaponry for both fields if we need a big punch. We're not going to magically catch up computer wise either, they're so far ahead. ECM is our answer. It negates the computers they're becoming super reliant on whilst messing with Oracle. That'll apply to air and space, but imagine later on a tank with it aswell, providing false information accross the board as a matter of course (and we saw how effective that was with the hailstorm).

We can revise better ground weaponry. We cannot revise a way to contest the skies.

That's in my opinion anyways. If we go plasma, we'll make it work anyway. I just feel the Blackout and ECM has more potential for us.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:36:05 pm by Maxinum McDreich »

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 25, 2019, 05:54:53 pm »

We can revise better ground weaponry. We cannot revise a way to contest the skies.
This actually isn't the case. Our planes are equipped with Teslas which are an infantry weapon. We could revise a bigger Tesla for plane/vehicle use.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 25, 2019, 06:01:48 pm »

Your planes are not equipped with Teslas. Unless you count the Meteor. Which is not an airplane. And already uses its own brand of Tesla.

Currently your only plane in service, the Lantern, is equipped with two infantry-grade Ospreys. They do fire all charged shots, but it's still not great for lethality.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 25, 2019, 06:34:05 pm »

Mmm, so re-reading the battle-reports when the Blizzards were introduced, it does seem that it was actually just our lack of firepower that let us down in that department, though it's not like we out-classed them in any way. Tis their firestorm that would ignore our increased firepower really. The Blackout could potentially allow us to leapfrog the air-war, by countering both crafts whilst hopefully being expensive, whilst being reasonably future-proof, something I feel our air-force has never been from reading the back-log.

However, a thought does occur... is their any reason we couldn't use this turns revision to revise our Lantern to something basically like the Blackout? (I'd say SEEM pilot and average Aratamite jammer to ensure it doesn't become complex just cos it needs twice the amount of SEEM's, since SEEM pilots won't make our planes very expensive by default, we can still use 1 per craft.) If we could do that and plasma now, Aratam could get both cakes and eat them! Extra icing if we could also apply the plasma weaponry to our revised air-craft aswell.

Viable? If not, I'd still see us contest the air now as top priority.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 25, 2019, 07:03:03 pm »

My preference is using the design to give us a wholly new aircraft as opposed to building off of what was a pretty bad base if I recall correctly. On a phone that's pure turds so I can't check on the truth of that statement. We have some solid designs to revise to help the ground war for now (orbital bombarding, a grenade launcher we can easily fix, just being two I've suggested), so I think a fresh design for an aircraft is best bet, personally.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 26, 2019, 05:22:31 am »

I personally agree with you, but wondered if it was a workable compromise. After sleeping on it, I'd still vote the way I have. Personally, updating our osprey to a pure and upgraded coilgun would be my revision this turn, or the grenade launcher. I guess I'll know when we get to that xD.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 26, 2019, 02:40:43 pm »

If votes don't change soon (minimum of about 1-3 hours, probably today), I'll have to randomly choose one of the tied designs for your side's action this phase.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 26, 2019, 02:43:38 pm »

I approve. We could use either one and this way we leave it to fate.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 26, 2019, 11:07:27 pm »

Design: A-13 'Furnace' Plasma Interceptor

Torch/Lantern revamp, with a sleeker, less bulky build. Vectored plasma engines replace the patch-job ramjets completely, providing more thrust and fuel-efficiency, and simplifying the fuel tank situation now that everything goes through the GMBP reactor. Ospreys replaced with forward facing tight choked magnetically boosted plasma jets. Plasma beams, in practical terms. At "maximum" power, they can handle just about the whole reactor's output and cut the sky in half, but that turns off the *other* plasma jets that keep the Furnace in the air. Perhaps useful enough in the hands of a skilled pilot, and our pilots are *very* skilled. (Consider use in ground attack?) More reasonable plasma densities are still quite functional, carving easily through armor without completely evaporating a target and maintaining smooth flight, to boot. Armor is more selective this time around, with mostly "resistant" plating and some convenient patches of "impervious" plating to be interposed as needed by the pilot's acumen when under attack.

Design: HK-2 "Hotknife" Close Quarters Fighter
An almost perfectly flat wedge of a "plane", the Hotknife has essentially three components: A solid recombinated armor hull, a relatively massive plasma engine array at the rear, and a thin row of plasma vents at the leading edge to coat the whole thing in hot death when it takes flight. The pilot operates from a slight flange of a cockpit by means of slam-shut armored periscope optics. At full throttle nothing in the sky can match a Hotknife's speed, and with its protective and destructive plasma wreathe, it can chop straight through its enemies unharmed. It carries no weapons, for it is the only weapon its pilot will ever need.

Design:
RA(M)P Gun (0) "
"Albatross" Heavy Plasma Rifle (5): Avetruetotheimperator, BBB, Rockeater, Nidhunter, The Ensorceler
Recombinant Munitions:
"Lantern" Plasma Interceptor (1): The Ensorceler
"Hotknife" Close Quarters Fighter (1): The Ensorceler

Research Credit?:
Yes (5): MoP, TTE, McDreich, Rockeater, brightfractal
As long as the design isn't the Blackout(1): The Ensorceler
No:

Final edit: Reworked the Furnace to be much more ambitious. Possibly shifts 1 Ore to 1 Oil if my math works out
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:02:00 am by The Ensorceler »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Summer 1964 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #657 on: July 03, 2019, 06:21:51 am »

Albatross selected by random to break the tie.
Design: Heavy Plasma Rife "Albatross"
(Normal, Research Credit) [(1+1),(4+3)] = 7: Superior Craftsmanship

The Albatross is quite the sight. The answer to when one of our engineers wanted to see if he could weaponize the plasma output of a GM-BP reactor.
He's still going to be in a CryoStat for a year after he tried doing that, but the idea he gave the other survivors was invaluable.

We took the schematics for the GM-BP Reactor and for our plasma thrusters and axed them down to the essentials, then made some modifications to focus on direct plasma generation in a smaller package. The Albatross works off of two internal chambers. SynthOil is pumped into the radiation chamber from an inserted cell (used like a magazine by wielders); precise beta radiation quickly creates plasma while a pressure system is intentionally created to funnel plasma into the ignition chamber where intense pressure is applied by and to the plasma and it's funneled outwards through a created containment beam similar to an extremely low power tesla blast.
Heat is of course a problem. Luckily, recombinated materials combined with expert construction mostly solve that problem. Heat is dumped into a recombinated radiator along the front bottom end of the weapon, shaped like a shallow arc starting at the front end of the gun and ending about 1/3 towards the back of the gun. While heat is generated much faster than the radiator emits, it gives the gun enough firing time to be useful and can be used as a devastating melee weapon. While operators should be able to recognize overheating by the extremely bright-glowing radiator, we included a nice shrill beeping sound if internal components are being heated to unsustainable levels.

Range can be adjusted by the operator through a dial controlling the power of the containment beam. It requires exponentially more power dedicated to sustaining the containment beam rather than creating plasma the bigger the range is. Heat created remains about the same. An Albatross can fire at Long range for a bit over a full second on a single SynthOil cell. At Medium range it can fire for 15 seconds on a single cell. Short range (we advise being careful with this and not going any lower no matter what) gives about 60 seconds but is more akin to a blast wave than a beam.
The gun overheats quickly, after about 4 seconds of continuous usage. It needs about 8 seconds to cool down completely after firing for that long. We plan on training soldiers to fire the gun continuously but still in bursts of 1-2 seconds to keep versatility, unless in cases of heavy enemy armor or the like.

The actual beam emitted is impressive. Pure concentrated plasma. It's purplish in color, guided by black-red "streams" on the edges that makes up the containment beam. Upon hitting something, plasma "splashes" away while most of it dissipates and some of it builds on the site in continued firing, created the predicted convection cell. The continued beam and convection cell allows for increases building of plasma until it collapses by itself or the beam stops, creating a very pretty destructive detonation after collapsing into any cavities or other damage.
This should be extremely effective against Merethan armor, as it still doesn't handle heat too well. Maybe not complete invalidation of their armor, but by the Astral we're approaching that level.

Overall it's quite a heavy assembly due to recombinated materials focused on handling heat over lightweight sturdiness. It's not as wieldy as an Osprey even for a Baseline Enhanced soldier, but it should be useful enough to be the main issued weapon for most parts of the armed forces.
We also had an ecstatic visit from the Director of Fury Implementation in the military today. They're rebooting Fury soldiers as the Albatross may be enough of a melee weapon for Fury soldiers to be useful. Much to the horror of literally anyone else in the military.

It costs 2 Ore and 4 Oil, making it Cheap on an infantry scale. Ammo is a bit tight per-soldiers, but should still be enough to be useful. Our soldiers will just be annoyed they have to be somewhat careful with their shots.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Revision Phase of Winter 1964 has begun.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Winter 1964 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #658 on: July 03, 2019, 07:33:25 am »

Spinal Mount UFO GUN Telescope

Our team was messing around with a kaleidoscope when it gave them an idea for an optical configuration /antennae system that allows the STOP to sense and target electromagnetically produced radio waves from afar. While this originally meant "From orbit to planet")  with the help of range-finding beacons placed so as to prevent Friendly fire, another implementation has added short band sensors that are useful against oncoming enemy spacecraft.

It might also be useful for astronomy too.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Winter 1964 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #659 on: July 03, 2019, 09:10:28 am »

Proposal: STOP-IT Upgrade

The STOP-IT (for Improved Targeting) is an upgrade to the sensor suite to provide longer-range targeting and aim assistance against moving targets. The system takes input from signals received by oppositional craft in order to estimate it's speed and direction and visually represents that information on the canopy. A tracked target will have a small stem protruding from it ending in a dot marking where the STOP should aim in order to hit it's target. While imperfect, it's not likely a ship will take evasive action if it's being hit from somewhere it can't see. An adjustable holographic targeting sight for manual target acquisition/identification and aiming is also provided in the event of sensor issues, as well as aiding in orbital bombardment. Ground forces are supplied with marker beacons which emit a unique signal for the STOP to pick up so they can better locate where their assistance is requested.

Modified STOP upgrade from last turn.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 51