Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60704 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1964 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #615 on: June 13, 2019, 06:08:28 pm »

Plans are to utilize our credit next design for a new primary infantry weapon - a couple people already have plasma rifle ideas. An infantry revision to something other than a primary weapon might not cover our gaps as effectively this turn, but will be less redundant upon creation of a plasma rifle.

EDIT: Chief want vote, Chief get vote.

Quote from: Designated Opinion Section
"Chelsea" SMILE: (1) MoP

At this moment I think it's a solid way to get something relatively inexpensive to our troops to take out these damn armored Merethians.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:09:40 pm by Man of Paper »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 13, 2019, 09:58:09 pm »

"Chelsea" SMILE: (2) MoP, Blood_Librarian
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 13, 2019, 10:27:20 pm »

So, an idea came to me as I looked at the Hopper revision. 'Damn, imagine having different grenade types, and firing all 6 at once for overwhelming effect?' Plan in my head would be to have Smoke for defense, Flash-bangs and ARC for overwhelming both Bear's and Grizzlies (and potentially knocking out WALK-TALKS and their screens), with Incendiary rounds derived from the STORM for some extra punch (since that's like... the only thing we know is effective against COMBAT plating). Particularly in ambushes, it would leave little chance for them to respond, I feel.

Just putting it out there for a future revision. I feel the SMILE will help in already miniaturising the ARC and STORM like rounds, making it easier to research, whilst giving an immediate pay-off.

"Chelsea" SMILE: (3) MoP, Blood_Librarian, McDreich

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 13, 2019, 10:30:07 pm »

All the minor changes we're doing would add up, and keeping difficulty to a minimum would give the Hopper a better chance at being very good at it's job. I'd fear developing multiple new rounds in the same revision, while not necessarily pushing it into design territory, would hit with a sizeable modifier. Depending on how the rest of this turn and next turn's design goes though it might be an idea to revisit.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 13, 2019, 10:37:29 pm »

Yeah, I figured. I was debating in my head whether to all-in and go hopper now and multiple rounds next and hopefully catch the Mereth's unawares with both better weaponry from our extra credit and good utility, or get the immediate pay-off with the SMILE and hope that it'll help give us the multiple rounds hopper in one go anyway. Part of me still wants to do the former, but as much reading as I've done, I feel the more experienced voices would be able to see if this was a good idea or not better than me.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 13, 2019, 11:05:38 pm »

Currently most of the discussion in Discord, which did dictate votes for our space things this design phase to a degree, is to utilize the credit on a new standard infantry rifle for next turn's design. Two people have different takes on plasma rifles, and I may well throw something in the ring myself. This revision I'm personally pushing an infantry revision as a way to gauge just how much or little the ground war needs to tip the scales. I expect Mereth will use this turn on space things, so hopefully we're facing the same infantry as last turn.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 13, 2019, 11:55:23 pm »

I phrased mine improperly. I meant using revision for this turn and next for the hopper's which, alongside the credit used for boosting the infantry (since I'd caught on that was what everyone's idea was), would hopefully give us a strong shift in infantry warfare. Glad I'm thinking like you are in anticipating what Mereth may do, though I wonder if they'll go for guardians instead, possibly over-committing to them.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 14, 2019, 01:39:47 am »

"Chelsea" SMILE: (4) MoP, Blood_Librarian, McDreich, TTE
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Summer 1964 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #623 on: June 18, 2019, 05:47:58 am »

"Chelsea" Shoulder-Mounted Infantry Launching Equipment
The "Chelsea" SMILE takes the concepts for the Red Skies and Storm missiles and downsizes them for infantry use. The smaller unguided rocket is fired from a single-use disposable tube launcher. It has an adjustable flip-out sight to aid in hitting distant targets. A relatively simple idea with a focus on an effective warhead and rocket (so long as the tube doesn't burst into flames when used).
Revision: "Chelsea" Shoulder-Mounted Infantry Launching Equipment
(Trivial) (2+2)+2 = 6: Above Average

We may not have existing handheld rocket launchers and the like to base this off of, but the concept is extremely common in the world, we're being very conservative with our aims, and we're not inexperienced with rocketry and weaponry. Some miscellaneous experience from various existing designs also contribute

The Chelsea SMILE is very straightforward. A single-use tube with a trigger, sight, and rocket inside. The rocket employed can either be fitted with a Tesla-charged warhead, or Red Skies incendiary. Tesla warheads are good for area of affect, stunning their troops, and disabling electronics. Incendiary is great for dealing with heavy armor, as their COMBAT plating remains weak to it. Deployed fins and aerodynamics keep it accurate up to Long range. It can still be useful at greater ranges, but less reliable. Guardians and SEEMs (to a slightly lesser extent) should be quite effective at using the Chelsea at approved ranges. The usefulness of it beyond Long range depends on just how good of a shot the user is, not Astral sensitivity or anything.
It's all single-use, though we still ask that soldiers return spent SMILEs for use in creating more. No need for loading (and reloading is impossible), and the payload is chosen when issued, but convenient to use and fire. It's not huge or clunky to use, but it still needs to fit the firing mechanism and single rocket; not every soldier will be given one even if possible.

A flip-out sight uses similar tech employed in the Ettin to provide an accurate electronic crosshair prediction over a small glass piece of the impact site of the rocket based on wind and gravity, eliminating the need to estimate it or use more crude printed-on ranges. A static non-electronic crosshair for where the rocket launcher is actually pointed is also provided, just in case.

Overall, quite useful. Unlikely to be completely changing the tides, but reliable and effective. And Cheap, just costing 1 Ore and 3 Oil. Expense is rated at an infantry-scale level, meaning that we'll be able to make a lot of these. Its single-use nature and relative size means that while every squadron will be equipped with a very decent amount, not every soldier will get one of course. The requirement to select the payload before issuing creates a lack of in-field versatility, but it's not a big deal.
Reliable and effective.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Combat Phase of Fall 1964 has begun. You may optionally vote on a single "intrigue" action to take focusing on oddities in Aratam, the landmass, Mereth, or even internationally. This will hopefully yield useful results, but it is not to be used to attempt to perform wartime espionage on Aratam. This action simply represents our division's internal efforts to investigate recent goings-on. There may or may not be consequences.
Also vote on Stormcaller usage and National Effort deployment.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1964 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #624 on: June 18, 2019, 06:55:58 am »

Not bad, my dudes. Here's a couple strategic options to mull over.

Quote from: Operation: Red Sky In Morning
Intrigue Action: Gather samples of any flora and fauna in the new Mountains as well as geological samples for continued investigation. What can we learn from this stuff? Can we figure out where it came from? Or when?

Stormcaller Circle: Plains Monsoon Season - Skies choked with storm clouds unleash a torrential downpour on the Plains while violent winds sweep in from the seas.

National Effort Deployment: Deploy the Meteor to the Mountains with the primary goals of coordinating operations in the area and providing fire support for ground forces.

Quote from: Operation: Red Sky At Night
Intrigue Action: Gather samples of any flora and fauna in the new Mountains as well as geological samples for continued investigation. What can we learn from this stuff? Can we figure out where it came from? Or when?

Stormcaller Circle: Plains Heat Wave - Clear, windless, cloudless skies help the sun bake the earth while dry air ensures no relief is granted from the heat.

National Effort Deployment: Deploy the Meteor to the Plains with the primary goal of coordinating efforts on the ground as well as aiding to direct orbital support efforts.

We can change the intrigue actions for either if we come up with something better. Red Sky In Morning spreads our efforts across all fronts. The mud should help to bog down heavy troops at least. Meteor goes to the Mountain to aid in efforts on the front line in order to keep momentum there going. This plan leaves our orbital cannons as an orbit-focused force. Red Sky At Night however sees the Plains' skies wide open to allow some of those "lower" velocity rounds the STOP can rain down. Throwing everything at the Plains right now seems like it wouldn't be the worst idea, but any weather that'd mess up the skies would probably diminish the Meteor's effectiveness.

Quote from: Poll Square
Operation: Red Sky In Morning: (0)
Operation: Red Sky At Night: (1) MoP
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 08:45:28 am by Man of Paper »

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 18, 2019, 10:56:21 am »

I was gonna suggest a heatwave this turn, actually. Last I checked, Mereth hadn't fixed their bears' weakness to heat (though it also hasn't come up in subsequent summer's barring the first time).

Operation: Red Sky In Morning: (0)
Operation: Red Sky At Night: (2) MoP, McDreich

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 18, 2019, 11:29:16 am »

I was gonna suggest a heatwave this turn, actually. Last I checked, Mereth hadn't fixed their bears' weakness to heat (though it also hasn't come up in subsequent summer's barring the first time).

I wouldn't worry about bears overheating, they have enough ICE to make you wear coats to the desert.

And do STOP even have any capbilities in bombardment?

Operation: Red Sky In Morning: (1) Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 18, 2019, 12:12:19 pm »

They can land shells on the ground, but they can't aim them at all. They'd be more like a weather event than artillery support.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 18, 2019, 01:11:25 pm »

Still prefer the mud then
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 18, 2019, 07:51:04 pm »

Quote from: AURORA, STORMS OF THE HEAVEN(S)?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
INTRIGUE ACTION: ASSIGN BEO TASK FORCE TO ELIMINATE ANY CULT ACTIVITY IN THE MOUNTAINS.

STORMCALLER:] A SCINTILLATING AURORA HUGS THE CLIFF FACES, PROJECTED TO REDUCE AIRCRAFT EFFECTIVENESS

NATIONAL EFFORT DEPLOYMENT: RIP AND TEAR AT THE MOUNTAINS.
Quote from: Boll Square
Operation: Red Sky In Morning: (1) Rockeater
Operation: Aurora, Storms of the Heaven(s) (1) : Blood_Librarian
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 51