Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60736 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1963 - Design Phase)
« Reply #465 on: August 10, 2018, 06:58:27 pm »

Well I mean I have established a great deal of lore before I left after the Heavy-Duty Grizzly Armors came up, since I’ll say 40-50% of the designs are on me on most of the technological things; The coilguns and vehicles; and missiles and such.

Anyways I feel like the Merethian deserve to suffer for their sins against the Astral; they resort to technology and computer for their salvation? They shall see why they are wrong and pay the price, and it’s much more effective than temporal agent as the Flagellants are just Men between the Material and Astral and are there to show the glory of it
Are you starting a cult?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 10, 2018, 06:58:54 pm »

But we use technology to exploit the astral. If anything, we're the ones profaning it by that metric. I want to see us become something more like the Combine than the Imperium of Man. The Astral is a resource for us to exploit, not an almighty entity we should bow to!

Temporal Agents are also just men. Men able to essentially manifest a duplicate of themselves at another point in space thanks to exploiting the Astral.

Also Sonic Barriers might be more vanilla than more astralwork, but it'll create breathing room for a more ambitious project. I might be convinced to vote for something like JOY (if it gets an acronym where a version of the word spelled by the acronym isn't part of it), but not until we at least do a little something to counter their flashlights.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 11, 2018, 05:50:11 am »

Whoops

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 11, 2018, 09:33:32 pm »

Alright let's do this ck2 style. Let me buy a favor off one of you in return for a favor from me later. Favors being votes, obviously. I think we should push the shielding now and aim to hamper their offensive abilities. Look at the catch up they had to do after ignoring our precogs for so long. Let's not make their same mistake with lazy beams

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 11, 2018, 10:51:24 pm »

If we do shielding, does it have to be sound? We don't have a sonic tech base, and air is pretty transparent to lasers with or without sound. Something like this could be more realistic?

Reactive Plasma Shield

Using electromagnetic panels to suspend a mostly mercury based electroplasma in midair, an RPS system is able to repel extremely minor threats, such as being poked with a stick. When the panels detect magnetic fluctuations in the plasma, however, the shield is boosted to unsustainable levels by pre-charged miniature Tesla nodes integrated into the shield panels. With a more excited electroplasma, the shield becomes significantly more dense, repelling many attacks outright. Deflecting bullets requires a hair trigger shield somewhat prone spontaneous discharge, but all RPS systems are able to react to lasers before significant cutting takes place. SEEM operated shields are approved for manual activation, as they near-universally outperform automatic systems in threat detection.

RPS plates are recommended for integration into all units able to supply them with power; currently the Glaive and Torch are easy candidates, but other uses should be considered as well. If power demands are not too extreme, battery operated systems will be an important step in deploying this technology.

Quote from: It’s a Votebox
Joyous Operations of the Yearning (0):
The JOY Project (1): Blood_Librarian
"Desert Rose" Weather Control Facility (0):
Sonic Shield Emitter (2): MoP, Rockeater
"Gemini" SMML-63 MANPAD (0):
Temporal Agents (0):
Operation Providence: (2) SC, Blood_Librarian
Reactive Plasma Shield: (1) The Ensorceler

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 11, 2018, 11:26:37 pm »

The RPS seems, to me anyways, like it'll be more expensive and less universally utilized than the SSE. My hope with the SSE is that the densely packed sound waves will create a barrier of agitated molecules that will at least diffuse the densely packed light waves they shoot at us.

The RPS sounds like it'll have to replace the injector pack in our suits, whereas the SSE is essentially just a sci-fi weaponized radio.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 11, 2018, 11:43:29 pm »

We don't have any experience with high tech doodles. we do have experience with Psionics. Work something around that.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 11, 2018, 11:49:50 pm »

You have the Cryostat tank, the Reactor, your coilguns, and more. You don’t have to hyper-focus into things like psionics.

I’m not telling you what you should do but I just want to make sure that you don’t unnecessarily limit your options.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 11, 2018, 11:58:50 pm »

We literally spent a Design on the Black Chamber and your design is trying to not get synergy with it, the Sonic Shield thing, that’s why the Merethians are going to conquer the Mountains; this is an action-economy game, if you don’t utilize your passive-applicable design in your next design as well since it doesn’t provide any inherent benefit unless we do another Design from it, to actually retrieve benefit while the enemy does two designs, or in there way gets a free design for our no-value intrinsic design

Action-Economy is the thing your not realizing here

Edit: Also those Coilguns and Electric Guns are very useful with their Combat Plating; :-)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 12, 2018, 12:49:00 am »

And I submitted a design that would work with it, but you've chosen to vote for a similar design with a different theme. As much as I hate it I'm not going to put effort into convincing a voteflip over thematics. I will, however, push something that will give us the wiggle room to dedicate a whole turn of actions into perfecting our next astral foray while also opening another potential field of research to meld with our astral experiments.

You want action economy? Heres my full plan then. Our CryoStat tanks work in part by providing sensory deprivation. Sensory (auditory specifically) overload is one of the requirements of my previously proposed DREAM Project, meant to counter ORACLE. By working with sound this turn, and hopefully countering missiles and lasers to some degree, it should also be a little easier to pull off an effective DREAM Project. That's a wide array of counters in two designs.

I don't like outlining like this because a lot can change in a turn, but there you go.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 12, 2018, 12:53:43 am »

Someone deleted Dream from the votebox and I'm too lazy to write it back in.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant MIST
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:11:12 am by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 12, 2018, 12:58:33 am »

nvm im tired and confused?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:35:21 am by Man of Paper »

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 12, 2018, 02:55:05 am »

Sonic Shield Emitter:

The Sonic Shield Emitter is a device that creates a barrier of molecular interference by using sound waves to shake up and scramble the atoms in a targeted area. When worn on a device the size of a watch it can project a barrier the size of a buckler, with larger sized Emitters capable of creating larger barriers and even bubbles. While solid projectiles are more likely to penetrate the barrier, warheads and light-based weaponry are susceptible to premature detonation and diffusion when encountering a Sonic Shield.
This is completely impossible as-written. A device the size of a watch won't have room for the battery pack you need, let alone a speaker able to project force-fields. I can change stuff about my version, I can be more ambitious, but I'd never ask for as much as you're asking for.

I said I'd write this up for BBBence111:

The Stormcaller Circle

Our best and brightest in the Black Chamber can do a great many things, but the things they can do with electricity are astonishing. Electricity naturally courses through every human body, and joining that current to another provides an astonishingly good grasp on the Astral threads needed to control it. Once demonstrated as a consistent ability, we worked to amplify it, looping in more power at a time. The field-ready application is a large number of Bio-Paste Reactors bonded to a group of SEEMs, themselves bonded to eachother, which feed an array of Tesla rods to send the electricity into the air. Once dispersed, the group is able to use their bonded electricity to shape the weather, pulling up water from the oceans to form clouds, dragging the clouds about to create wind and so forth. It can be hard to tell what exactly the group is focusing on doing, and the group has become rather distant, but they do take orders.

The most obvious use for their talents is inhibiting Mereth's laser weapons and intelligence gathering with thunderstorms and fog banks, allowing our shorter range and more adaptable tactics to excel.

Quote from: It’s a Votebox
Joyous Operations of the Yearning (0):
The JOY Project (1): Blood_Librarian
"Desert Rose" Weather Control Facility (0):
Sonic Shield Emitter (2): MoP, Rockeater
"Gemini" SMML-63 MANPAD (0):
Temporal Agents (0):
Operation Providence: (2) SC, Blood_Librarian
Reactive Plasma Shield: (1) The Ensorceler
The Stormcaller Circle: (1) The Ensorceler

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 12, 2018, 03:05:32 am »

Does they computer needs constant Intel? I thought it was predicting our actions

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 12, 2018, 03:09:17 am »

This is all due to the ORACLE-A. A supercomputer -- the best in the world -- housed in the bottom level of Merethan R&D, constantly fed data by a team of technicians and calculating every possible strategy, then outputting a prediction of the enemy's predicted actions. It requires plenty of intelligence to work and can only focus on certain areas chosen beforehand at a time, but it's remarkably effective when used properly.

Complementing it, Mereth also implements the Earth Ear Mk. IV, a new version of their underground SONAR-like device. It has a stunning second color in its display holocube, and uses technology derived from the ORACLE-A to vastly improve its resolutions and ability to identify entities. Mereth police CSI departments are also grateful for a new technique coming from the Mk. IV that allows them to "enhance" images, increasing their resolution to what should be illogical levels.

Looks like both. That's from the combat report it debuted in.

EDIT: Storms won't counter underground sonar, also.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 51