Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60672 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 06:05:04 pm »

Compound 42b ‘Spice’
This neon yellow complex chemical compound enhances reflexes, aiding with eye movement and motor planning. Those it has been tested on, make claims that they can see into the future, making reference to the term bullet time. It also binds to melanin in the body, most noticeably in the eyes causing the brown eyes of our people to flash yellow. The suspected mechanism is neuromelanin found within the brain with animal subjects showing a slight increase in metals in those areas. No doubt this increases the firing speed of the affected neurons, causing data to processed more swiftly.
Design: Compound 42b Spice
(Hard) (1+2)-1 = 2: Utter Failure

The good news is that we've created a new chemical compound, called "Spice". And people using it report good effects!

The bad news is that those people are legitimately insane. Spice successfully alters the brain - we've figured that out, at least.  But beyond that, it alters the brain in all the wrong ways. Subjects experience schizophrenic-like hallucinations, delusions of power, and frequent seizures. It may enhance the abilities of people affected by it, but the state of our test subjects makes it impossible to tell whether or not those enhancements are delusion or real.
It's also very addictive, and memory loss is an all-too-common side effect of it. We believe our test subjects will have to deal with an addiction for a while even from the one or two uses they experienced.

We're hopeful, however. Even if Spice is (at the moment) an extremely dangerous narcotic with no tangible benefit, doing it has given us a decent amount of experience in affecting the workings of the brain with various chemical compounds.

The Revision Phase of 1954 has begun.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:09:05 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (1954 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 07:43:53 pm »

I knew we should’ve made the A.C.C. Atleast we know about chemicals now. I think we should make the pursuit rifles more accurate at medium range 
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 08:41:57 pm »

Spice gas exhalor
similar in design to a flamethrower this device shoots gassy spice to bring insanity to the enemy.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 08:54:00 pm »

That’s a new thing
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 07:01:46 am »

Gaas Smoke Grenade
Simply put, it aerosolizes the Spice into a cloud of gas, with all the horrifying effects that a cloud of Spice would have. it is smoky yellow in appearance.

Gaas-Prison-research Internment system
A rather ghoulish way of dealing with cowards, deserters, criminals and jaywalkers, the individuals are tested on using cutting edge chemicals and compounds, and then either kept in quarantine for watch, or sent to the other side if the testing process done to them was not significant innovative. this has yielded dozens of half insane, almost but not quite bemusing man creatures that are only fit for grunting and eating. When war time begins, these things are released to the Mereth side, so the inhuman creatures can be welcomed by their brothers and sisters. This hopefully burdens their supply lines. Often times they are dosed with Spice as an after thought for the addictive properties to keep them inline, but they are surely deprived of the compound after they are sent tot he Mereth? Time will tell.

Edit: To clarify, the individuals who are released should be those who are so insane that they would basically be killers, and are goaded to be such with beatings and methamphetamines.

Gaas Smoke Grenade(0):
Gaas-Prison-Research Internment System (1): Blood Librarian
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 10:30:45 am by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 09:39:51 am »

I’m confused for the revision phase we have to revise something we already have. Wouldn’t making the spice into a new weapon be creating a new thing?

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 10:05:45 am »

We're changing its deployment method from an inhalant by inhaler/whatever such it was previously done into a aerosalized cloud of gas. The injection may be variable and overdoses may occur, but the net result is that the enemy side might get hit by the cloud of gas.

It isnt "making a new thing" since i am just changing compound into something else. Its just like rigging a grenade into a trip wire landmine.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 10:09:31 am »

Oh alright.

+1 to gas prison research internment system

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 02:12:00 pm »

Combat Drug ‘Fury’
With spice proving too potent in pure form, we have taken to mixing it with an anti-epileptic and adrenaline booster to produce a more reliable drug cocktail.

Gaas Smoke Grenade(0):
Gaas-Prison-Research Internment System (2): Blood Librarian, tntey
Combat Drug Fury (1): Talion

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 03:28:29 pm »

Gaas Smoke Grenade(0):
Gaas-Prison-Research Internment System (2): Blood Librarian, tntey
Combat Drug Fury (2): Talion, Shadowclaw

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 03:39:49 pm »

Could we sell spice to get more resources?

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 06:59:26 am »

Gaas Smoke Grenade(0):
Gaas-Prison-Research Internment System (1): tntey
Combat Drug Fury (3): Talion, Shadowclaw, Blood Librarian

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 07:21:06 am »

Combat drug fury still doesn’t deal with the hallucinations and addiction

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 08:05:52 am »

Combat Drug ‘Fury’
With spice proving too potent in pure form, we have taken to mixing it with an anti-epileptic and adrenaline booster to produce a more reliable drug cocktail.
Revision: Combat Drug 'Fury'
(Normal) (3+4) = 7: Superior Craftsmanship

The problem with Spice, or at least the one we know about, is that it's extremely potent. It may have very tangible benefits, but its negative effects quickly increase beyond the positive as dosage increases. Yet at low-enough dosage as to prevent literally driving users insane, the benefits either don't exist but aren't noticeable enough to have any notable effect.
But, as we've discovered, the right drug cocktail can exploit the positive effects present in a low dosage while minimizing side effects.

Fury's main effect is very short reaction times. Some of the more eccentric scientists believe this must be precognition, but it's clearly just the adrenaline booster interacting with the Spice. Soldiers under the influence of Fury exhibit near-superhuman reaction times. Also of note is, fitting to the name, rage: users tend to exhibit a... much shorter temper. While this could theoretically be of use to us, it just manifests in a tendency to occasionally hurt allies and generally just not being good at combat beyond Short range. Hallucinations are still present, but in much more manageable quantities - Fury users simply shouldn't be trusted to recon, espionage, or anything of the sort. Allies should also keep their distance from Fury-users when in combat.
Fury also tends to make users' veins much more apparent and visibly red.
It lasts for a couple of hours and users must inject it; as of now, it'd likely be injected before or during combat. Injection takes a while and can result in occasional mishaps, but isn't a large problem. It takes roughly five minutes for it to begin taking effect.

Fury is a potent drug, but is still dangerous and flawed. The army is certain that its benefits outweigh the risks and will be deploying Fury accordingly.

Fury is unfortunately still very addictive, though troops can go roughly a week before they start experiencing withdrawal symptoms. We didn't have time to address this and, as we want an army that can function, the bulk of supply has to be allocated in such a way we can ensure a constant stream of Fury to its users; fixing this could reduce the effective cost of manafacture. Finally, the mass production of this stuff has exposed a limit in our infrastructure. Rare Chemicals, required in heavy supplies for the production of Fury, aren't something often in such a high demand. We have 1 unit of the stuff - from our existing pharmaceutical and chemical industries - but Fury costs 3 Rare Chemicals.

New Resource: Rare Chemicals. Acquired via infrastructure. Aratam currently possesses 1 unit.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Diplomacy Phase of 1954 has begun. This phase is exclusive to this turn only.
Submit a single plan that:
1.) Chooses either Forenia or Cannala to cement an (unofficial) alliance with.
2.) Choose one design from Autumn 1942 [in ICAR] to import from the choice of ally.
If Mereth chooses the same ally, the nation with the best design (and revision) will get first choice.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (1954 - Diplomacy Phase)
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 09:22:28 am »

I say we choose the one with better transportation designs. Also how do we increase our infrastructure?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 51