Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60665 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Winter 1964 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #675 on: July 18, 2019, 10:58:09 am »

I have a feeling we were raided for information regarding the weird shit going on. That's why I figure we investigate said weird shit further - beat them to the knowledge they're after, and maybe next turn, if Chief says it's a thing we can do, we could take steps to encrypt and hide (from both physical and astral eyes) whatever info we gather.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 18, 2019, 01:34:48 pm »

I could make an alternative where we don't help the merethians keep control of their murder robots.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 18, 2019, 02:08:55 pm »

I don't think we should feed into the image of an authoritarian state with severe in-fighting. Risking a raid on a likely heavily guarded enemy facility just to gain advantage over our own countrymen? That's committing some light treason. Add helping the Merethians to that and it's straight up super-treason on top of everything else and we've got ourselves full-blown Supertreason.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 18, 2019, 05:14:52 pm »

You mean our own countrymen that just raid THEIR OWN COUNTRYMEN? Can't say I agree with you on making it anything like treason on our end if we responded. :). I get that maybe helping the merethians stop a robot revolt before it happens could make us seem the good guys and helping the merethian people, but it's not something I feel we should risk doing until we KNOW rather than guess.

In terms of trying to find out the information we THINK BEO are after first, I can't say that I necessarily agree with that logic, and it's a bit of a shot in the dark in that regards. However, whether that's right or wrong, we'll still gain information, so it's a win/win. I do worry that the BEO will turn more hostile the more we know, but I guess we'll deal with that as it arrives.

Going to vote for Fun in the Sun (added bonus for the name), because there's also a lot less risk. Depending on what happens, maybe a raid on ORACLE might be an idea next turn though. Might aswell use their greatest asset if we can :D.

Quote from: Cryovote Growth Chamber
Fun in the sun:(4) MoP, The Ensorceler, Rockeater, McDreich
They can't be bargained with (1) : Blood_Librarian

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 18, 2019, 09:03:09 pm »

Right, upon rereading I definitely didn't illustrate my point as clearly as I intended. Just for clarity of where my head's at in regard to things (and to convince anyone else who hasn't voted yet):

I'm looking at the BEO as analogous to the Gestapo or KGB, agencies with very close, very deep ties to the state, whereas we're akin to a bunch of technicians in the Wehrmacht or Soviet Army. It's their job to raid their own countrymen under the guise of protecting the state, whether that's their actual motive or not. If we act against them, and therefore the state, it could be seen as an attempted coup. I dunno how deep Chief's going with things, but it's a possibility I'd rather avoid (for now), even if it's only going to have narrative effects. Acting around them, at least until we have some leverage, is the smarter play in my own opinion.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 18, 2019, 09:49:20 pm »

mmm, I can see where you're coming from, thanks for clearing it up. I personally see the BEO as a young organisation that exists because of the Astral. As a result, it's young and volatile as an organisation, and not necessarily state driven. The reason I say that is I've not read anything to say anyone in the political side of things is Astrally orientated, much less trained. Possible, and we don't know, so also a risk I guess. But I'd still say that the BEO's power is separate from the state, almost more powerful even.

Point remains though, that Fun in the Sun has less risk, though also I think, a little less reward, but still the better option.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 20, 2019, 01:36:30 pm »

It's possible I've got some of this wrong, but this is the history of the BEO as I remember it:

Aratam's original government is reformed after the invention of the cryopod, solidifying power within the necrostate. 1st gen Goldeneyes are deployed to the front lines. Some are withheld to form the new Bureau of Enhanced Operatives, an internal counterintelligence and investigative service.

The Necrostate strengthens the BEO, using it as an arm of general control over the populace. The head of the BEO is now a powerful political figure in their own right, and Necropoliticians engage in constant power struggles.

The Cryostate breaks the back of the Necrostate, and individual Necropoliticians have significantly less to set them apart from the average citizen. Individual power is lessened, but so is infighting. The BEO on the other hand gains first SEEMs, then Guardians as operatives, infiltrates governments around the world, and is by far the strongest single actor remaining in Aratam.

Ahem. We're in rather deeper than I thought. The BEO is much further along than Mereth's computer overlord problem is. The Unnamed Cult is *not* in fact our equivalent. It's easy enough to just align ourselves with the BEO, but then... so too is it easy enough for Mereth R&D to submit to a machine intelligence.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 20, 2019, 04:27:34 pm »

Good analysis, though I have a feeling we have a far more complicated situation :P.

BEO is one side of the equation. The cult a dangerous unknown as another. Fact is, we don't know much about the Astral, but I remember reading that it FELT like something was watching us when we first ventured into the void, think it was with the SEEMS. So, there's also that. Whether the cult or the BEO are puppets to this or know the threat, we don't know. I mean, I'm focussing on the arms race of this game more than anything, but this possible internal situation has been on my mind aswell :P. At this point, we have only enough info to speculate. Doing MoP's intrigue has a chance of us finding out more about the Astral itself, which MAY force either the cult or BEO to reveal their hand as to their own intentions.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Spring 1965 - Design Phase)
« Reply #683 on: September 06, 2019, 08:54:03 am »

Combat Report: Spring 1965

Our new technology deployed this season was both useful and full of promise. Command is optimistic for the future.

Intrigue
Investigate the significance of 8. Look for any similarities in environment, circumstances, objects, and observers that could link the phenomena past the appearance of the number 8 itself.

This was...
interesting.

Our investigation took us on quite a journey. It started with Guardians focused on this occurrence being put in trances in Black Chamber CryoStat tanks.

First, a quick recap of what we know regarding an important property of the Astral. It is the realm of consciousness. Everyone has a presence there. Even those who could never be Astral operatives, the Astral is still an important part of them. So while the Astral is of course much more than just this, it's very... mercurial. It has patterns. Anomalies. Appearances.

And one of these patterns?
"8".
But there's more to it. More than just that number. That number represents much more than just... well, a number.

Further investigation shows it as unlike anything else we've ever seen in the Astral. We had our exploring Guardians poke and prod at the concept and number and try to think their way around it. We've researched it in the real world. Based on how it "reacted" to our Guardians trying to mess with it, we determined it's not actually a solid part of the Astral. But more-so a reflection of human consciousness.
And again, wrench thrown into the works. We've dealt with consciousness in the Astral plenty, and based on those dealings we should know how to basically follow this reflection to its origin. But it has none. In fact, it feels all so unnatural. Like the strings around it have been cut. But it keeps appearing everywhere. And through its appearances in the Astral, it seems it can appear in humans too.

So what we (think we) determined is that the number "8" is some reflection of what we think is consciousness (or something mimicking one) that no longer exists, or never existed. And that this reflection would have had to be unnaturally strong originally (if there is an "originally" here) and pervasive in order to manifest the way it is.
So for whatever reason, "8" is embedded in the Astral. It definitely means more than just that number, but whatever it means we have yet to figure out.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Spring 1965 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 06, 2019, 09:54:28 am »

I think we should put down a revision exchanging some our crafts weaponry with heavy plasma weapons,  just enough so we can determine combat effectiveness of the theoritical weapons without sacrificing the Tesla gun's. another option, we could do a revision to copy the fuselage of their Skyrangers, replace the engines with plasma vector systems and reactors,  strip any capacity for re-entry and go from there.

The mountains are a tricky, tricky situation. Tanks with tracks aren't effective at all there,  and the enemy has already proven that mechatronic equipment works there, but I'm all for going for a different philosophy than heavy, heavy walking tank if we want to go for that. In the meantime, I'm gonna propose an astral design.

Design: Force Screens

Force Screens are the first result coming from trials for defensive measures that utilize Astral projection. Although the original design could theoritically be "powered" through non-humanoid means, the lack of access to such resources outside of test environments means it is a moot point.

The Force Screen is a system of conduits, a quas-capacitor, ventilatory systems and other support equipment designed to be retroactively attached to our field equipment to generate a spherical "anomaly" of high-energy Electromagnetic forces.

This Anomaly effectively catches high energy particles (such as laser weaponry) and ballistic projectiles and then begins shearing it apart, layer by layer, until it ejects out as a stream of plasma or a low-energy emission of infrared light depending on what collided with it, (in addition to a small, concentrated blip of Astral Energy). If an object is going too fast or an oncoming stream of energy is too strong, some of it may get through, this is by design to prevent situations where the capacitor is instantly filled up. HEDP or HEAT rounds will lose the majority of their effect here, as they will penetrate the shield and then splash our tank with their molten metal instead of the cabin.  The generated field is referred to as an anomaly until such a time when the design team can put a name to it without breaking down into violence. We know how to generate it, how to shut it down, and the physics behind it, and that is all that matters. The term "Force Screen" is a soldier-oriented term that is the most accurate considering circumstances. Due to how the screen is layered, it cannot intersect with another screen, and fire coming from inside the screen will not be deflected to create some sort of hellish pinball machine from hell. Slow objects going under 50 miles an hour are not caught.

Not only does this generate waste heat, but also a sort of entropic energy. It cannot be vented into the air fast, but it can be re-routed into the "quasi-capacitor" fore storage until our ventilatory systems can catch up. The capacitor essentially a giant brick of specially treated metal the size of a small engine block, and it is recommended to shut the shield down before it "overloads" and detonates.

While one psionic individual may not be enough for the entire system, it uses a series of emission and broadcast fields to essentially "siphon" off of other individuals in play, allowing the shield to be engaged when sufficient persons are nearby (typically 8.)

This system was designed with the Ettin in mind, but it can also be deployed to other tanks, and possibly any other vehicle, although two or three individual systems converting sections may be required.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 07, 2019, 04:34:04 pm »

Quote from: Vote
"Furnace"-Plasma interseptor:(1)Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 07, 2019, 09:43:01 pm »

After a small discussion with Rockeater (he stated we should have aircraft), I designed an aircraft. Another one. I think it'll be alright.

Quote from: The Illuminant
A-(9) ILLUMINANT
The Illuminant is a less a revolution or an entirely new project than an ultimate refinement of our aircraft technology centered around recent breakthroughs in bio-computational engines.

It contains a Synth Oil reactor system, that spans the majority of the crafts core systems, and is engineered so that a singular, massive core provides for the demands of the entire craft while keeping a low maintenance profile. This creation is referred to as a GM-BP-S (Gel-Matrix, Bio-Paste Singular) Turbine. This thrust is then fed through an array of thrusting systems that allow an incredible speed, and allows it to fly in the atmosphere with damaged or destroyed maneuvering systems as well as precariously attempt to hover down onto a flat surface like a rocket. (it is not explicitly designed to do so, but none the less possible as demonstrated by the now Deceased
 Lieutenant Chuck Whimsy.)

Plasma diversion feeds are funneled into an electromagnetic Plasma accelerator cannon. Relying on 12 banks of solid-state quick-charge capacitors to deliver the energy required to launch the plasma as a bolt that is electromagnetically contained enough to be viable for aircraft combat while also allowing it to rapidly fire. The Main weapon achieves a 20-40 degree gimbal by pre-guiding the path with an under-barrel tesla that “paints” the path for the bolt to follow in both atmospheric and orbital conditions.  It is also designed to mitigate a Talon Laser Pulse: FireStorms emit a unique energy signature when they are charging up their main weapon, and simple predictive analyzation allows the  EPAC to fire a bolt of plasma that bursts into a cloud that refracts the TALON shot, effectively intercepting the explosive laser with an explosive bolt of plasma. The computational prowess of this task means that it can also shoot down Bird-Brain powered Shrikes through a similar process with roughly equivalent efficiency.

Two primary systems are designed with it to achieve this: the sensor system, and the previously mentioned Bio-Computational Engines.

The sensors require a large amount of space, the entire aircraft’s forward-swept wing is dedicated to this purpose, and effectively creates an antenna that is adept at receiving the infrared/Ultraviolet emissions that the enemy craft emit while utilizing GO-FAST fuel. (our craft emits the opposite range of emissions, whatever it may be, damn Merethians don't know true power.) As noted, the aircraft's wings are forward-swept to survive the incredible G-forces that the thrust vectoring equipment can create.

Outside of the upscaled plasma weapons platform and craft shape, the single largest divergence from other craft is the inclusion of a modified CryoStat tank with a semi-organic computer instead of a traditional avionics package & cockpit window. The Illuminated is connected to the plane through a series of radical bio-augmentations that allow neural fibers to access the pilot's brain. The user’s thoughts, dreams and fantasies are realities in this system, systemic sensory shifts or even wholesale illusions are now able to be invoked on the Illuminated by pre-generated computer “User elements” referred to in the lab as UE’s. The computational engines themselves translate mechanical and electrical signals into organic-friendly information bubbles and manipulatable hallucinations. This is possible due to the components of the electronic circuit boards, they integrate organic compounds such as amino acids into their structure. This grants a limited degree of latent autonomy into the aircraft. The central “brain” of the system monitors and adjusts the Plasma and electrical channels of the Illuminant and optimizes it by opening and closing routes that are the most efficient. Not only does this create a more efficient aircraft, but one that can re-route information, electricity, and energy around damaged components and continue functioning under battle-conditions.

Due to the relatively loose requirements for the augmentation process, anyone can become a pilot, and no longer are we logistically tied to Astral individuals for augmented pilots, yet we can still hold the edge of precognition in the skies upon our hated foe. A non-astral Illuminant Pilot is referred to as a Candle-Bearer, and an Astrally awakened Pilot is referred to as a Torch-Bearer. an Ace is a Bonfire Invoker.

The armor is thinner than previous iterations. This should mean roughly equivalent durability to the craft, due to its limited self-repair nature. Physically, it has two wings, forward set with sensors dotting its entire frame, as well as tuned recombinant-metallic rods on the surface that act as an antenna. Life support systems are simplified by the Cryo-stat to the point where they can reach a far higher up-time than an equivalent system.  It is notable for being the first spacecraft entirely assembled orbit (so it can fit in the elevator), and it is designed such that it never touches the ground outside of a crash landing, and mundane exercises such as landing equipment are forgone in place of an escape pod.

Each aircraft is deployed from the Elevator with a small “runway” consisting of an attachable set of systems that allow for an extended period in orbit before and after it is deployed on the Earth and must be towed with the Illuminated after each mission.

Quote from: Vote
"Furnace"-Plasma interceptor:(1)Rockeater
A-(9) "Illuminant" Interceptor:(1) Blood_Librarian

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 08, 2019, 06:51:16 pm »

Proposal: A-8 "Azazel" Medium Fighter Craft

As with it's namesake, the Azazel is intended to bring fire to man - though somewhat more forcefully. The Azazel is a slender aircraft with forward-swept wings and propelled by two GMBP-based vector thrusters. Armor is relatively light and constructed of recombinated materials meant for reducing the impact of laser-based weaponry.

For armament the Azazel has two pairs of modified plasma cannons installed on each wing as well as a gimballed quad-linked Osprey turret at the nose. A pair of hardpoints on the fuselage allow a small degree of variance in an individual aircraft's armament, even though our air-based armory is currently limited in that department. The plasma cannons themselves are based largely on the Albatross with one major change: instead of firing beams of plasma, each individual shot is completely self-contained. While the additional mechanisms to induce a stable containment field are, at the moment, unfeasable for an infantry-sized weapon, inclusion of the magnets, devices, and emitters necessary for such a feat should be possible in our aircraft. 

The aircraft has a pilot and copilot. The pilot is primarily responsible for control of the aircraft, weapons, and countermeasures while the copilot's responsibilities largely include communications as well as observing and relaying information acquired from the aircraft's sensor systems based largely on the STOP's radar and HUD (scaled down from spaceborne to airborne combat ranges). The pilot is capable of passing off control of individual systems to the copilot if they need to focus more on specific tasks. Biometric monitoring devices are used to pass off total control of the aircraft in the event of the pilot being incapacitated or killed.

Both pilot and copilot seats have built-in reservoirs for our currently limited array of stimulants with a small hose that plugs into the nearest available port. This allows any Astrally-trained pilot to utilize Spice in-flight, and can be filled with other chemicals for our standard Baseline pilots should we concoct any. Notably, Fury usage is banned after preliminary testing resulted in an intense, inescapable desire for the pilot to engage targets at, ah, melee ranges.

------------

Throwing my hat into the aircraft ring. This should be a solid aircraft while also making it so that we're not in endless beamslapping contests with the Merethians once the tech is applied to something on the ground. Like a hovertank. Not sure what aircraft I'd go for though, they're all doing something slightly different from one-another.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 10, 2019, 12:31:03 pm »

I might be a tad biased, but I think mine is pretty good. the FUrnace seems a little too short description wise for our aircraft.

The enemy FIRESTORM has a craft that can enter into orbital situations as well as bomb surface targets..  Our STOPs are okay at defending themselves, but if we have an interceptor that can go to orbit as well, then there comes the possibility of us intercepting their craft.

We have a tonnage advantage with how much stuff we can put into orbit. There is no reason why we shouldn't have a space-based craft that can enter the atmosphere for "mundane" situations like bombing grounders as well as other situations like intercepting the baddies..

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 10, 2019, 01:21:15 pm »

But we have a small advantage in orbit now. Until they put actions towards more space combat or we develop infrastructure for the moon then there isn't really a point in tacking additional difficulty onto an aircraft we should really want to go well. Hell, I'm half tempted to propose a straight vanilla MiG-like aircraft just so we can avoid difficulty issues mucking things up. I have a feeling reliable air support will be pivotal in defending the Desert, moreso if the Merethians tackle their heat issues.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 51