Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60667 times)

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Winter 1964 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #660 on: July 03, 2019, 01:31:19 pm »

I've been mulling.

'Jammy Dodger' A-8 Armoured ECM Jet

It was decided that the Lantern could do with more room to upgrade, so the decision was made to make a more efficient armour. Using compressed recombinated carbon, ceramics, titanium and aluminium, there is less plating for similar protection. This gave us opportunities to upgrade the rest of the large jet using the additional space. The cockpit glass is also recombinated reinforced with titanium particles and is quite thick.
'New' hardpoints on the wings allow the Jammy Dodger to fit updated STORM missiles (I say 'new', cos they're basically how the old Torch worked). Modifying the tracking system from the ION-Storm, the Storm missiles should be sufficient air-to-air weapons. The coilguns have also been replaced with 2 slightly upscaled Albatross', drawing power from the reactor and synth-oil from tanks. Air is designed to flow through the weapons to quickly expel heat build-up, allowing for more continuous firepower. Fuel tanks have been expanded.
Additionally, A signal spoofer causes anomalous radar activity when detected by oppositional forces, causing the aircraft to appear in a slightly different location or altitude, creating multiple local signals, or even making the Jammy Dodger disappear for a time. The cockpit was expanded to make the jet a 2 man fighter, with a SEEM pilot and a non-SEEM electronics officer in charge of the ECM.
The are hopes of a nose-mounted jammer, but only after everything else works. The jammer is capable of affecting a cone-shaped area ahead of the Jammy Dodger, scrambling or shutting down received and transmitted signals.

MKR-75 'Gannet'

The now Magnetic Kinetic Rifle is taking our Osprey, making it out of recombinated materials and converting it to a pure coil-gun. The Gannet uses recombinated hardened tip bullets with small incendiary payloads where the conventional firing mechanism used to be. When the bullet hits, the incendiary payload emits a loud crack noise which, when there are hundreds of them landing around you, can be disorientating. An updated double synth-oil battery is attached to the gun and easy to reload. Lower rpm of around 200 but without overheating issues.
The Gannet also comes with an attachable barrel extension with additional coils and the glass targeting visor and crosshair from the SMILE, turning the weapon into a sniper rifle. Sniper rounds are larger, denser and more magnetic. They are loaded separately into the side of the gun bolt-action style. A switch tells the gun which mode it's in.
The whole weapon may be a little clunkier than before to make it all work as intended, but for our enhanced troopers, this shouldn't pose a problem.

'Bopper' Utility EMA grenade launcher

An update to the aging Hopper, the grenade launcher has an updated double synth-oil battery, capable of firing multiple shots. Coilgun technology is so vastly superior to what it was back then that the coil mechanism and wiring really just needed to be modernised.
The grenades themselves now have different payloads. Flashbangs and arc rounds are more to stun and confuse the enemy, smokescreen rounds for defense and as close to cover as we get these days. Finally, incendiary rounds provide the firepower. The launcher itself has a new rotary cartridge able to fire 4 grenades until reload, allowing 4 different grenades to be fired in quick succession.

(I notice we don't have the old Hopper in our armoury, so hoping we can still update an obsolete weapon.)

Jammy Dodger so we can contest the air this turn. It's less of an overhaul than I predicted when I went into designing it, but it's honestly more like the old Torch with better materials, 2 man and ECM (well... and updated weaponry). Still might be a bit ambitious, but any less might not be enough to contest the air. Gannet to fill any holes the Albatross' leave and make good use of our coil tech for a double whammy on the ground. That, and sniper SEEMS/Guardians. Bopper gives good infantry utility to help them close in with their now strong weaponry, or help cover retreats. The incendiary rounds more so the enemy will still want to instinctively dive for cover.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 03, 2019, 03:42:05 pm »

If we do something with ECM I'd rather it get a Design dedicated to it. Make it hit as hard as possible before they ultimately do ECCM to negate whatever advantage we get. Not against the jet's name though. Updated grenade launcher is always good, but personally I want to see my brainchild actually function.

Quote from: Voter Boxing
Spinal Mount UFO GUN Telescope:
STOP-IT Upgrade: (1) MoP
"Jammy Dodger" A-8 Armoured ECM Jet:
MKR-75 "Gannet":
"Bopper" Utility EMA Grenade Launcher:

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 04, 2019, 11:54:01 am »

Personal priorities for me right now are:
1. Airforce (to allow our better equipment to shine.)
2. If Mereth responds strongly, to stabilise the situation.
3. Space theatre, both for STOP and a dedicated space-ship.
4. An armour plating to reduce their lasers damage (This would upgrade pretty much everything we have.).
5. Revise SPICE that may allow cheap SEEMS (especially with apparently, an increased number of astral sensitive people.)

This is all super subjective to change. Also assumes our plasma rifle works as hoped :)

I do think revising the Lantern this turn is our best bet, but maybe not necessarily with the Jammy Dodger. However, I liked the Furnace and can see that be a revision, so:

A-13 'Furnace' Plasma Interceptor

Torch/Lantern revamp, with a sleeker, less bulky build using denser recombinated materials which include radar absorbent materials with the hopes of making it more difficult to target. Vectored plasma engines replace the patch-job ramjets completely, providing more thrust and fuel-efficiency, and simplifying the fuel tank situation now that everything goes through the GMBP reactor. Ospreys replaced with forward facing tight choked magnetically boosted plasma jets. Plasma beams, in practical terms. At "maximum" power, they can handle just about the whole reactor's output and cut the sky in half, but that turns off the *other* plasma jets that keep the Furnace in the air. Our SEEM pilots can make good use of this when the situation warrants. More reasonable plasma densities are still quite functional, carving easily through armor without completely evaporating a target and maintaining smooth flight to boot. The Furnace retains the Lantern's agility.

The Furnace is designed to be hard to pick up on radar when facing the target, able to close the distance before going full thrust to close the last km or so and blasting the target out of the sky before doing any evasive manouvres.

Introducing radar retardent materials now could help on a future ECM plane's impact. Also, the furnace is just cool! :) I don't know if they'll fully stabilise the air situation, but I feel they'll make a dent now and aid any future jets.
Still deliberating before I vote.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 04, 2019, 10:54:43 pm »

Quote from: Voter Boxing
STOP-IT Upgrade: (1) MoP
MKR-75 "Gannet":
A-13 "Furnace" Plasma Interceptor: (1) The Ensorceler

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 05, 2019, 07:30:43 am »

STOP-IT Upgrade: (2) MoP, Blood_Librarian
MKR-75 "Gannet":
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 07, 2019, 01:42:12 pm »

STOP-IT Upgrade: (3) MoP, Blood_Librarian, Rockeater
MKR-75 "Gannet":
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Summer 1964 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #666 on: July 15, 2019, 04:19:04 am »

Proposal: STOP-IT Upgrade

The STOP-IT (for Improved Targeting) is an upgrade to the sensor suite to provide longer-range targeting and aim assistance against moving targets. The system takes input from signals received by oppositional craft in order to estimate it's speed and direction and visually represents that information on the canopy. A tracked target will have a small stem protruding from it ending in a dot marking where the STOP should aim in order to hit it's target. While imperfect, it's not likely a ship will take evasive action if it's being hit from somewhere it can't see. An adjustable holographic targeting sight for manual target acquisition/identification and aiming is also provided in the event of sensor issues, as well as aiding in orbital bombardment. Ground forces are supplied with marker beacons which emit a unique signal for the STOP to pick up so they can better locate where their assistance is requested.
Revision: STOP-IT Upgrade
(Easy) (1+2)+1 = 4: Below Average

Calculating trajectory of hostile targets (as identified by a lack of friendly IFF) turns out simple enough. The canopy HUD displays this via a marker pointing at where the shot should be fired to hit the target. Again, simple. The problem, however, is in range. While hitting moving targets will be significantly easier, we still don't have a great range at which we can see those targets. Still, useful.

In addition to being able to be adjusted manually, the revised targeting system can also detect strong beacons deployed by our infantry. Basic orbital calculations can be made based off of beacon data -- enough to get a vaguely accurate lock on the beacon if it's vaguely directly below the STOP's current position in orbit.
We... had to make the beacons quite big. And quite powerful. They have to be lugged by about two Baseline soldiers and have a charge-up time. Now, the sheer destructive capability of a fully-charged STOP blast means that luckily we don't have to put the beacon at the target. But this is a double-edged sword sharpened by the relative inaccuracy of the beacon-guided bombardment. Our forces have to evacuate the general area quickly. Combined with Mereth's predictive computing, orbital bombardment will likely only be useful if we can somehow get two soldiers to a stationary emplacement with the beacon and keep it safe long enough for it to charge up (and long enough for the STOP to fire) or in engagements where Mereth is very entrenched and we are not.

Our commanders couldn't hear us talking about the downsides. Too busy cackling. We assume a non-evil form of cackling, because we are not the baddies.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Combat Phase of Winter 1964 has begun. You may optionally vote on one Intrigue action. You must decide on the usage/deployment of the Stormcaller Circle and the A.S.V. Hour of Relentless Intent, your single Meteor.[/list]
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Winter 1964 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #667 on: July 15, 2019, 10:18:25 am »

Quote from: Operation Fun In The Sun
Intrigue Action: Investigate the significance of 8. Look for any similarities in environment, circumstances, objects, and observers that could link the phenomena past the appearance of the number 8 itself.

Stormcaller Circle: Plains Heat Wave

A.S.V. Hour of Relentless Intent: Deploy to the Plains to offer operational and fire support.

One of them relatively recently commented on us always switching our storms around. Let's see what effects two seasons of heat have on both Mereth and the environment itself. I feel like we'll finally manage to hold the mountains here, which is all we actually need to do for the time being. If we manage to push the plains again then we can expect they'll focus efforts to stop us next turn regardless of what happens this phase. Even if they take the mountains from us we should have a good bit of breathing room to counter that push.

Quote from: VoteBox
Operation Fun in the Sun: (1) MoP

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 15, 2019, 05:26:47 pm »

Maybe use the intrigue to find out why we were raided by our own people? I may know less than those on discord, but thought I'd throw it out there. Other than that, fun in the sun like an oven with a bun!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 15, 2019, 07:53:00 pm »

Waffles? Shouldnt Artillery such as out STOP-IT have the ability to off-set the bombardment so that the beacon acts as a guide rather then a bullseye for our gun? IE, slam it far enough from the line that an evacuation wouldn't be required?

Quote from: They cant be bargained with
Intrigue Action: Our investigation regarding the BEO's own Blackwell raid has resulted in a lack of information. We simply do not have any method of knowing what they did through sources in Aratam. BFG's are subtly hidden from the BEO's gaze, and sent to infiltrate the Merethians. The objective is simple; a lightning raid on their predictive computational engines. We are looking for information that gives evidence on BEO objectives, reasoning and data on their recent actions, and a drop off of information that gives the Merethians design bureau clues regarding their own design teams problems, (My current theory is their AI is slowly going rogue.)

Storm Caller Circle: Plains Heat Wave

A.S.V. Hour of Relentless Intent: Deploy to the plains to offer operational and fire support.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 17, 2019, 10:36:08 pm »

Quote from: Cryovote Growth Chamber
Fun in the sun:(1) The Ensorceler
They can't be bargained with:

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 17, 2019, 11:11:42 pm »

ewww gross, votedropper

Fun in the sun:(2) MoP, The Ensorceler

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 18, 2019, 12:05:27 am »

Fun in the sun:(3) MoP, The Ensorceler, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 18, 2019, 07:59:00 am »

Fun in the sun:(3) MoP, The Ensorceler, Rockeater
They can't be bargained with (1) : Blood_Librarian

This is the perfect chance to be a little ambitious and get some more intel then we otherwise would be able too.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 18, 2019, 08:10:51 am »

mmm, I like the intrigue in finding out why we were raided. I'm less liking also helping the Merethians, though. In the end, I don't think I have a specific preference between the two options, so I'll just watch how this pans out.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 51