Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60757 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Summer 1963 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #435 on: July 23, 2018, 11:32:11 am »

Quote from: Votebox
OVERWATCH (5): Blood_librarian, Talion, MoP, The_Ensorceler, Rockeater
Synergy
Steel Legion
Jackdaw Landship
Temporal Agents (1): MoP
Electro-Boost Ramjet
Malign Revelation
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Summer 1963 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #436 on: July 23, 2018, 11:45:10 pm »

The Overwatch Program

Simply put, The SEEM Program has far too many "duds" for the amount of persons and resources funneled into it. With the advent of the Black Chamber and multiple solid theories based on the structure and foundation of the Astral present, it has come to our attention that an opportunity has became apparent to our SEEM. With a solid foundation of personnel in the program able to reliably manipulate our universe from the Astral, we can reliably increase the process by which SEEM Operators are created.

By directly moving the final process of SEEM creation too the Black Chamber, we can have senior personnel watch and protect personnel going through the Astral awakening by manipulating the Astral to become temporarily more hospitable for human minds while forcing them to "wake up" in the realm for a faster process.

With the guiding hand of Senior personnel in the Black Chamber, it should be possible to turn Golden Eye Personnel directly into the SEEM Program through a 2 phase system by which half are called back for processing, and then the other half is processed once the last of the first phase is processed for a fully tested system. It is theorized that more veteran Gold-eyes are opened up enough to the Astral for the SEEM process to function despite their relatively tainted bodies, allowing far higher numbers of personnel can be augmented in addition  to relatively weaker willed persons that would otherwise be ineligible for the SEEM Process (Like Recon and weaker Special forces members who are only augmented with the Baseline)

Theoritically, even Necropoliticans could be augmented.
Revision: The Overwatch Program
(Hard) (3+4)-1 = 6: Above Average

The Overwatch Program consists of two parts:
1.) Elite "Trainer" SEEM Operatives helping the process. Serving as almost kind of "guides" for new SEEMs undergoing the process, guiding them through the barrier between the Astral Realm and reality.
2.) Other SEEMs using their connection with the Astral along with our newfound knowledge of it to scout out for people with the greatest natural connection to the Astral and thus the highest potential of successfully going through the process. We find that analyzing people as they're in CryoStasis is the best way to scout large amounts of people in quick amounts of time. If someone has potential, they're simply automatically volunteered for the Journey.

It's almost like a journey, now, instead of a bruteforce process. We find those in Aratam most connected with the other realm, and guide them through a treacherous path to reach the Astral Realm, unlocking their potential. A substantial amount still perish on the way, but we no longer have to throw masses of people into the process to get one or two SEEMs out of it.
The Guides have a bit of interesting experience from their new jobs that could be applied in the future, but for now we can celebrate de-Complexifying our SEEMs, making them Expensive. Without our luck in this project and the experience from the Black Chamber, it probably wouldn't have been possible.

Additionally, we can spare enough SEEMs as pilots that the Torch is now Expensive.
Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Combat Phase of Summer 1963 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Summer 1963 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #437 on: July 24, 2018, 08:20:19 pm »

Wow. we had a impressive roll and got the optimal outcome. Now we can unk-dunk some nerd Merethians with true style.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 24, 2018, 08:21:18 pm »

Can we please develop psionic mind elimination sometime soon, we have the freaking Black Chamber

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 24, 2018, 08:43:12 pm »

I could repropose the DREAM project, which can probably get a few updates to the original with our recent progress. I feel like we made huge progress with our pseudoscience this turn, so we might want to dedicate a turn to bringing our slightly more conventional designs up to snuff.

I really want time travelling teleporting assassin's though. It'd be a pretty nice National Effort design if I do say so myself. And since we just have the Tundra between us and victory we could choose to deploy them either to aid our push forward or to halt the enemy's mountain push and give us time to break through.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 05, 2018, 03:30:18 am »

Combat Report: Fall 1963

Aratamite snipers and their air force are our main problems, though the sheer tankiness of their Bear Troopers certainly doesn't help either.
But still, the Necrostate is confident in Aratam's ability to push through towards MAGMA city, given you continue your valiant efforts.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Fall 1963 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1963 - Design Phase)
« Reply #441 on: August 05, 2018, 05:33:38 pm »

Mental Intervention of Space-Time (MIST)
Manipulation of the strings discovered using the Black Chamber has revealed some immediate low hanging fruit. By pulling on the strings it is possible to locally adjust space-time, creating relative changes in the passage of energy through space. Visibly this manifests in an apparent change in the refractive index of the air. This refractive lens bends light away from the SEEM operative giving the appearance of red mists that obscure the operative’s surroundings. The precise reason the mists are red is unclear though some have suggested this may be related to the redshift of stars.

Basil ii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 07, 2018, 01:41:14 am »

Mental Intervention of Space-Time (MIST)
Manipulation of the strings discovered using the Black Chamber has revealed some immediate low hanging fruit. By pulling on the strings it is possible to locally adjust space-time, creating relative changes in the passage of energy through space. Visibly this manifests in an apparent change in the refractive index of the air. This refractive lens bends light away from the SEEM operative giving the appearance of red mists that obscure the operative’s surroundings. The precise reason the mists are red is unclear though some have suggested this may be related to the redshift of stars.
also we need to fix our air craft problems but that can come later.
Quote from: music box
mental intervention of space time (1) basil ii
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:00:41 am by Basil ii »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 07, 2018, 02:23:08 am »

I like it, I was going to suggest Pocket Sand that dispersed when intense heat was applied or triggered a sensor (it was going to be recombinated materials, not just sand). Going to make a couple more proposals for diversity though.

Sonic Shield Emitter:

The Sonic Shield Emitter is a device that creates a barrier of molecular interference by using sound waves to shake up and scramble the atoms in a targeted area. When worn on a device the size of a watch it can project a barrier the size of a buckler, with larger sized Emitters capable of creating larger barriers and even bubbles. While solid projectiles are more likely to penetrate the barrier, warheads and light-based weaponry are susceptible to premature detonation and diffusion when encountering a Sonic Shield.

"Gemini" SMML-63 MANPAD:

The "Gemini" is a shoulder-mounted man-portable air defense weapon. The Gemini has two tubes that fire 1.5m long missiles individually. The missiles fired from a Gemini are designed with sensors meant specifically to detect and home in on signatures emitted by the Merethian "Blizzard" aircraft. Each missile also has a toothy smile painted on the warhead.

Temporal Agents:

Something always felt off about interacting with the Astral Realm, almost like you were flipped upside-down. It's because the Astral Realm somehow manages to both influence and be influenced by ours, but everything we know is wrong here. There. It gets confusing now for everyone involved. But here is what we do know.

We can ever so slightly manipulate time.

It's why our interactions with it have resulted in precognitive abilities. By taking the best of the best, our S.E.E.M. commandos, and training them in the manipulation of reality, they can manifest themselves at points near specific targets, such as an enemy officer in the midst of ordering a charge, or a soldier about to sneak into and clear a room, for a brief moment, which is enough to kill someone, before disappearing from that point in time. As they are technically in two points of time at once for that brief moment, we cycle our S.E.E.M. commandos out in shifts, where they are sent into the Astral for as long as they need to before launching a single attack and then immediately removing themselves from the Astral Realm to prevent whatever kind of damage consistent exposure to that kind of stress to themselves. Or, you know, the Universe, which is why the agents only ever interact with the Present.

I want time traveling Nightcrawler-like assassins damn it.

Basil ii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 07, 2018, 02:57:05 am »

I like time travel as much as the next guy but we really really need some good aircraft.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 07, 2018, 03:14:50 am »

In the interest of increasing engagement, here is some feedback on MoP's latest set of ideas.

Sonic Shield Emitter - I like this as sonic weapons haven't been pursued by either side as far as I'm aware and it makes a nice contrast with lasers. The potential problem is that we may need a good roll/multiple revisions to get it working as well as we would like.

'Gemini' SMML-63 MANPAD - A shoulder mounted rocket launcher is a practical solution if a little boring in a Mad Arms Race. Blizzard only sensors does not seem like a good idea, though if they can be specifically calibrated to an aircraft and it merely focuses on the Blizzard right now that would be fine. Consider adding coil gun technology to the launcher as an improvement on our grenade launcher.

Temporal Agents - This goes the other way, possibly being too mad. I'm not that enthused personally due to the anti-magic properties of time. Once we start researching time travel why would we research anything other than more time travel to win the war before it even began? Especially when there is a non-zero chance the enemy will be forced to combat the time travel by researching time travel themselves.
On the other hand if all these agents are capable of is affecting the present, then what is really being pursued is teleportation. Personally I'm more interested in teleportation portals and alternate dimension access than individual psyportation.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 07, 2018, 03:30:18 am »

I think that they gonna push lasers this turn because of its effectiveness, so I think we should go with either MIST or the Sonic Shield Emitter, which can at least somewhat negate their air advantage
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 07, 2018, 05:09:18 am »

In response to the Emitter feedback, I feel like we have a little breathing room for now, and I feel like Mereth has found their groove and we won't have that much longer. Now's the time to shift the paradigm a little, I think. Plus the emitter is intended to counter their missiles on some level as well, which are quickly becoming a problem for our pilots. And everyone else. It won't be a direct counter to their armory, but I think it's a good general counter to try to push.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 07, 2018, 05:21:35 am »

As I see it, the mist and the emitter are in a similar spot of counter for their CLAW and we just need to choose the better option

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 07, 2018, 05:24:21 am »

It's pretty much a choice between psychic shielding and energy shielding.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 51