Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60769 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Winter 1962 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #330 on: June 14, 2018, 07:48:19 am »

More of a revision no?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 14, 2018, 09:46:11 am »

The Mind-Weave

Do you know how awful it is to go unconscious for days, months, or even up to a year under current generation cryostat treatment plans? This has largely stopped our more inclined Necrocrats from being in the tube all the time. To that end, I have personally solved this problem with the designing and implementation of our first successful augmentation procedure to the brain, which partially replaces the Parietal lobe (the bit that controls sensory input) along with a few other parts.

It is called the Mind Weave. When it is active, it can supplant or even replace sensory input too and from the brain, allowing a person inside or outside of a CryoStat to work, to think and to create by the power of thought, even while they are asleep or awake. The Mind Weave can either give images, thoughts, ideas, (the works) into a person's brain if connected to a (large) electronic system, or the individual can output their thoughts into words or images drawn by a mechanical/electronic printer. This utterly massive undertaking requires the creation of computer assemblies to process this data and put it into cohesive data that a brain can understand, or can be printed out, without damaging anything. Ideas, thoughts, concepts, everything can be printed out at the speed of thought, and the simply monumental prospects of multiple individuals Weaved together into collaborative groups -- The Immortal Few-- working together to push the razors edge of scientific endeavors, or to govern the perfect state cannot be understated.

The implantation procedure requires a significant amount of time in a cryotank for the procedure, and then a similar period of recovery where the implant is tuned to the brain. It utilizes the most cutting edge methods of metal-organic combination that we have available. The delicateness of the operation carries very real risks to the implantees health, and may cause side effects that are too long to list on this document, most of which can be mended with time in the cryostats. It may be entirely possible for an individual in power to live their entire life in the tank, commanding through the Mind Weave from afar.

Multiple times I have thought to ultimately cancel this project due to the extensive time it requires and what some may call a comparatively little effect on the front, but the experience we have gained can possibly be put into battle-field applications so far reaching that I have honestly pondered to sabotage my work for humanitarian grounds. Could our planes, tanks and even our own soldiers be controlled by a master-mind someday? A puppet controller who’s ultimate power is the strings they wield? The Proxy wars and endless subterfuge I see in the Necrostate already disgusts me, but could this discovery intensify it?

My first application of the Mind Weave when I had the operation done on myself during the final testing rounds was to draw a picture of my daughter through the mental commands of the Weave. She had died at the age of three from pneumonia, and I miss her every day as she had haunted my dreams to this day. To have a physical picture, straight from what I could remember-- Though slightly warped from the distance of the memory has almost broke me. What will our society look like a hundred years from now, with this impossible-before-now ability to create and think on scales unparalleled before? I shudder to think that it is being put to construction for its merit in the designing and implementation of societal policies and the creation of war-machines.

Ultimately, the Mind Weave allows an individual to process data while awake or conscious, and have data put or extracted from their mind while connected to a large computer. This computer can process multiple consciousnesses, allowing for a group referred to as “The Immortal Few” to form, for any purpose that is required. An individual can utilize the mind-weave at any point they are connected to the specially designed computer, and can be connected while awake, unconscious, or in a modified CryoStat.

Attempts of miniaturization is placed so that a future revision may allow our pilots to use the Mind-Weave while flying aircraft.

The Militarized Baseline

It is about time that our soldiers get a real, physical improvement, instead of a chosen few standing heads and shoulders above the rest as the labbies fawn their attention on their pet projects. The Base-line Modification plan consists of several modifications to a person body that increases their baseline status to peak human in many or all physical aspects, with a series operations that can be done on a relatively quick period in the tanks. The formula is stable, reversible and completely safe for every man and woman eligible for the military, and sets a baseline for all further augmentations we expect to commit on our soldiers in the future, as further augmentations like FURY, Golden Eye, or SEEM can "stack" on top of it without a problem. As it stands it consists of two parts, the seedings of ports and other pieces that allow further procedures required for all augmentations in our catalog. is expected to be distributable to all the soldiers of the military, as well as select non-military personnel without issue.

Quote from:  Boat Box
Riot (1): Man_of_Paper
Tesla Rifle MKII (1): Talion
Mind-Weave (1): Blood_Librarian
Militarized Baseline (0):
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:25:55 pm by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 14, 2018, 06:17:57 pm »

If it won't provide extrasensory capabilities, it might be easier to not invoke Spice as part of the Baseline. We'd benefit more from physical enhancements broadly availible to our troops, and it better prepares them to accept upgrades than a limited perception boost.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 14, 2018, 06:45:21 pm »

Bombardment is highlighted as being a major factor in a good few of the fights. Another missile design is going to force their hand and make them try for some sort of indirect fire, which gives us room to build on another area we need work on since they're already scrambling to counter our X-Men. Combine that with the need to cancel out the effects of Fury on their troops (not to mention it's addictive properties but lack of supply for them) and we could force a whole turn of their actions to countering our artillery.

Also, an array of suggestions for the challenge:

Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down

Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes to Midnight

Wardruna - Fehu

You're Probably Going To Vote This One

If I was a gambling man...

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 14, 2018, 09:22:17 pm »

Good point @Ensorceler, I'll edit it just for physical improvements that should work for everyone, including our Golden Eyes and SEEM

My entry for the Music Challenge.

Crimson Blaze - Positron Music

brightfractal

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Gazes Into Beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 15, 2018, 03:23:20 am »

I suggest we make Initiates

edit:

Savant

Spoiler:  Image for reference (click to show/hide)

One of the problems of our enhanced manpower is the lack of effective ranged attack capabilities, it is about time we rectified this issue. Using our combined knowledge of Spice and the SEEM program we where able to synthesize a drug known as Ichor. By surgically removing parts of the Occipital lobe and treating the patient controlled dosages of Ichor we can create a new type of enhanced trooper known as a Savant. After a few weeks of treatment an unusual growth can be found inside the optical nerve and an increase of cone cells in the Fovea region of the eyeball, granting limited night-vision. The subject is capable of creating a controlled localized spatial phenomenon known as the "slipstream" via glancing at the targeted area or the object. The anomaly appears as a bright blue sphere of energy capable of rending rock and armor alike although it only lasts for few milliseconds before collapsing as local reality reasserts itself. Savants have a recommended 15 second safety cool-down after every glance, attempts to circumvent this cool-down have been unsuccessful as the eyeblasts damages the cornea causing the slipstream to manifest inside the subject's optical nerve. Savants are equipped with a special headpiece that enhances their field of vision and automatically administers saline eyedrops.

Quote from:  Vote Box
Militarized Baseline (0):
Savant (1): Brightfractal

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:41:39 am by brightfractal »

brightfractal

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Gazes Into Beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 15, 2018, 04:25:44 am »

If anyone wants something to add to my proposal feel free to ask
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:37:49 am by brightfractal »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 15, 2018, 05:23:29 am »

Militarized Baseline (1):Rockeater
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:31:39 am by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 15, 2018, 11:23:34 am »

I would request that the Tesla Rifle MkII be made into a revision, as it seems to honestly do very little for a design that couldn't be done by a revision.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 15, 2018, 11:26:52 am »

Agreed. It'll get my revision vote unless someone has a better idea, but we shouldn't attempt small increases in our effectiveness in the design phase. Too many ARs I've lurked in get torpedoed because of poor action management.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 15, 2018, 12:11:51 pm »

Ion Cannon

Size does matter, sometimes. Scaled up to a multi-ton behemoth of a Tesla Rifle, the Ion Cannon is able to use high efficiency Bio-Paste Reactors in place of batteries, and its range is increased to the point that, as a misfire early in development showed, it can bounce its shots off of the ionosphere, dragging down lightning from even the clearest of skies. Due to their size, Ion Cannons are to be constructed as emplacement weapons and naval weapons only, particularly on dedicated Corsair platforms.

Militarized Baseline (2):Rockeater, The Ensorceler
Ion Cannon (0):
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:31:17 pm by The Ensorceler »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 15, 2018, 03:56:26 pm »

Someone refresh my memory: do our dudes utilize their powers by reading minds or by getting a taste of the future? If the second is the case, then we don't need to worry about their cybernetic thing yet. I'm preeeetty sure it's more precognition then telepathy, which might be why we don't have evidence of the interface interfering.

While I can see the benefits of the Mind Weave and Savant, I'm not 100% convinced to swap my vote unless we have plans to construct a facility that'll provide us with more rare chemicals so we can field some more guys.

I'm a fan of a solid alpha strike, and reducing the cost of our specialmens before we produce more would be lovely.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 15, 2018, 04:03:47 pm »

Quote from: Boat Box PRIME
Militarized Baseline (3):Rockeater, The Ensorceler, Blood_Librarian
Ion Cannon (0):

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 15, 2018, 04:19:05 pm »

Quote from: Bote Vox PRIME
Riot (0):
Militarized Baseline (4):Rockeater, The Ensorceler, Blood_Librarian, MoP
Ion Cannon (0):

Actually I'm gonna swap to military baseline. It isn't going to help much with the enemy armored infantry this turn, but we've got some solid revision ideas for that (I think the Riot missiles might be able to float as a revision too so we have at least that and the tesla upgrade as options). Reading back on the baseline, it looks like it could simplify our special guys and maybe, just maybe, reduce the cost to enhance them. Idea for improving it though:

Make the design a facility (or series of facilities )like a fusion of a recruitment office and the gene clinics in Xcom 2. I think we might be able to squeeze more out of it, and we've neglected our buildings for a while.

Or was there a rule I'm forgetting limiting the amount of things we can build?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Winter 1962 - Design Phase)
« Reply #344 on: June 22, 2018, 05:51:19 am »

The Militarized Baseline

It is about time that our soldiers get a real, physical improvement, instead of a chosen few standing heads and shoulders above the rest as the labbies fawn their attention on their pet projects. The Base-line Modification plan consists of several modifications to a person body that increases their baseline status to peak human in many or all physical aspects, with a series operations that can be done on a relatively quick period in the tanks. The formula is stable, reversible and completely safe for every man and woman eligible for the military, and sets a baseline for all further augmentations we expect to commit on our soldiers in the future, as further augmentations like FURY, Golden Eye, or SEEM can "stack" on top of it without a problem. As it stands it consists of two parts, the seedings of ports and other pieces that allow further procedures required for all augmentations in our catalog. is expected to be distributable to all the soldiers of the military, as well as select non-military personnel without issue.
Design: Militarized Baseline
(Normal) (2+4) = 6: Above Average

As of now, all Aratamite soldiers are something above human. Not super-human, mind you, but definitely more than just human.

Small injection ports are now mandatory for recruits, and are placed in the locations of several major arteries for quick deployment of drugs. Some in the back for use by automated systems (which we don't have, but could have in the future) and others in places such as the upper arms for quick accessibility.
A concoction of drugs -- most similar to Fury -- are routinely given to all soldiers. The first treatment requires a CryoStat tank to take hold, and subsequent routine treatments are just done in the form of drug infusions in the field. This works out just fine as while we don't have many/any CryoStat tanks in the field, we have enough that all recruits can be easily given the initial treatments before shipping out. There is a mild "addiction"-type effect; people who've gone a moderate length of time without infusions will start experiencing moderate withdrawal symptoms as their bodies wither and return to a state slightly worse than before the start of the treatments. Nothing critical or lethal, but enough to look out for.

The effects are fairly straightforward. Our soldiers are now stronger, smarter, have better reflexes, and more. Though these effects aren't huge individually. Strength-wise, soldiers are stronger than an identical person sans the treatment, but still perform below the parameters of the strongest people in Aratam. Their smarts are increased, but not by much: it'd be the equivalent of getting a "C+" instead of a "C" on a test. Their reflexes are, again, improved, but not super-human improved. Our forces are generally enhanced, but they aren't all supers.
Now, the military is appreciative of the effort but isn't all that sure about its use as the improvements are shadowed by our Goldeneyes and SEEMs and the strength enhancements still nothing compared to a Merethan Bear trooper. But our engineers seem to be fairly excited about the implications of this. We've set up an entire logistical system for the routine drug treatment of an entire military, and have created better ways (the ports) to inject drugs both on the field and off. The engineers assure us that this could be taken advantage of in a huge way, even if it isn't immediately tremendously useful.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Revision Phase of Winter 1962 has begun. Please also vote on a single submission to submit for the music challenge.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 51