Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60764 times)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1962 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #315 on: May 14, 2018, 07:15:41 pm »

I have edited my post to change the method of propulsion to "Electromagnetics"

That is all.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 16, 2018, 10:05:35 am »

M1948 B-1 'Blowtorch' jet(0)
Catalyzed Hyperthermic Ramjet (3): Blood_Librarian, brightfractal, MoP
Torch With Fuel Injectors(2): The Ensorceler, BBB
Please vote for Injectors. A lot more likely to work, and actually solves the issue we have.
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 16, 2018, 11:02:47 am »

I highly doubt that the Injectors would improve our design as much as the design I had proposed. This decrease in fuel efficiency for thrust ( Which is what will happen when we pump fuel into a ramjet rather then utilizing our way more efficient reactor process.)

Further more, I believe the revision denoted does not solve the problem of unaugmented personnel being able to operate the craft and the fact that it is weighed down heavily by the radiation shielding. It does nothing to fix this.

The CHR revision commits to three, directly quoted actions to fix these problems.
  • The Ramjet itself is produced with thoroughly automated self-stabilization program.
  • combined with the reconfiguration of the air-crafts control surfaces.
  • the irradiation chamber has been adjusted;[...]

Yes, the fuel injectors does have a chance of solving the acceleration and speed problems, but it does nothing else.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 16, 2018, 06:08:48 pm »

It isn't supposed to do anything else. If you're listing three revisions worth of upgrades, you're probably being too ambitious. I'd consider voting for one of those, but not all three. Being weighed down by radiation shielding doesn't seem to matter because Torches still manage to be the most maneuverable plane by a wide margin.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 16, 2018, 08:03:31 pm »

Yes, but it affects our top speed, otherwise, it wouldn't have been mentioned. Yes, it can maneuver on par with a biplane or such, but I don't think that matters as much as the fact that it isnt as fast by any means or definitions of the word.

I really doubt it is three revisions worth of upgrades, for the sole reason that most of these things can be corrected through adjustments with the knowledge we already have.

We definitely have the automaton knowledge to create an automated system, so it should be trivial.  The fluff with the reconfiguration of control surfaces is basically nil besides the mentioning. We are well within our rights to fix the radiation problem because it's one of the primary focus's of the revision (Acceleration/Topspeed, Radiation).

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 16, 2018, 08:57:26 pm »

The proposal has been updated immediately and is available for review, commander.

Now with 100% more beta particles.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 17, 2018, 03:36:46 pm »

Torch With Fuel Injectors(3): The Ensorceler, BBB, Talion

KhazintheDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 20, 2018, 02:10:41 pm »

Quote from: Fucking Quotebox
Torch With Fuel Injectors(4): The Ensorceler, BBB, Talion, KhazintheDark

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 20, 2018, 02:18:38 pm »

Quote from: Fucking Quotebox
Torch With Fuel Injectors(5): The Ensorceler, BBB, Talion, KhazintheDark, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 23, 2018, 07:58:51 pm »

Torch With Fuel Injectors
Due to unfamiliarity with Bio-Paste Gel-Reactors, the initial A-1 Torch prototypes were constructed without consideration for the efficiency of the reaction, relying on waste heat that just wasn't there. Crude though it may be, simply rerouting several of the plane's fuel pumps into the ramjet's compression chamber will render it a functioning combustion ramjet.
Revision: Torch Fuel Injectors
(Trivial) (1+2)+2 = 5: Average

The Torch's reactor luckily uses SynthOil, so we can just incorporate regular SynthOil-fueled heating elements in the ramjets in order to remove their barely-functioning reliance on the reactor. Not hard at all for us to do.

Now, while it is a nice Ramjet that the Torch uses, the Torch is still very heavy due to its own fission-ish reactor on board (and the vast majority of its power isn't even being used) and other factors. We can't remove the reactor as the plane is designed around it and the Reactor is needed to power several vital functions, so we just have to make do.
So, the ramjet is effective and propels the torch at a respectable speed -- higher than the Spearhead, but still slower than Mereth's Blizzard. This should make the Torch able to stand a chance in combat, even if it can't rely on its speed as an advantage over Mereth.

Due to the extra fuel required to heat the ramjets, the cost has increased by 1 Oil for a total of 5 Ore and 4 Oil, though luckily we already have 4 Oil at our disposal, and it remains Very Expensive.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Combat Phase of Fall 1962 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1962 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #325 on: June 08, 2018, 10:55:20 pm »

Combat Report Winter 1962

Some reports come in from SEEM soldiers worried that the new type of cybernetic interface that Mereth is using may hamper SEEM abilities, but so far we've found nothing to prove that statement.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Winter 1962 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Winter 1962 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #326 on: June 09, 2018, 11:51:31 am »

I've already worked on multiple designs and they are in an almost ready state, but I am discussing with other members of the discord of the specifics before I post them to vote on.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 11, 2018, 05:36:42 am »

We need a gun to break their armor. Probably a rocjet launcher. I'll write up something if noone else does, but busy atm.

Fir the revision, we should decomplex SEEM.
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 14, 2018, 02:32:59 am »

Why should we have to fight our enemies?

"Riot" Fury Dispersal System: Aratam engineers have worked day and night to concoct an aerosolized version of the "Fury" Combat drug as well as a way to deliver it. Based off of our "Red Skies" missiles, the "Riot" replaces an explosive or incendiary warhead with a specially designed canister that stores pressurized aerosol Fury. The missiles are designed to detonate over their targets in order to maximize the area affected by Fury.

Popping this in real quick off the top of my head since nobody's posted any other designs. The hope with this is that we'll be able to wreak havoc on their backline since they'll have none of us to fight, at least until they have to use an action to develop effective gas masks. It'll force them to waste a design or revision to counter it's effects (hopefully), give us some more experience with Fury, and improve our knowledge of missiles as well.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 14, 2018, 07:43:33 am »

I think fixing the Tesla Rifle would be a good idea. The main stumbling block is still lack of energy though. We might need to build a ground vehicle to carry the reactor around, just supply our energy needs.

Tesla Rifle MKII
The original Tesla Rifle has a number of issues that render it an impractical weapon, the engineers of Aratam aim to fix some of these problems with the next version. Rod production flaws introduced during the forging process are resolved by switching to an alternative material, porcelain. These ceramic rods are then subjected to Metal Recombination to create a rod that is far more resilient to the heat and pressure experienced inside the chamber. The other parts of the chamber have also been redesigned to reduce charge leakage. This has lead to the introduction of an insulationary sheathe that quickly slides between the chamber and the charging mechanism, disconnecting the charging mechanism to allow the weapon to store charge for practical lengths of time.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 51