Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60756 times)

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Summer 1962 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2018, 02:56:59 pm »

Quote from: Make Cryostat not complex
Our scientists and engineers study Cryostat, in an effort to make it not complex.
Someone votebox me for this, lazy to do it myself.

Then write an actual proposal for it instead of one or two sentences that mean nothing besides trying to game the system. How do we make it simple? What do we give up to make it happen? These questions must be considered, even if they seem obvious. Personally, I't be willing to give up the "independence" of having units in separate facilities with their own projects.

I somewhat dislike the Matrix, but I see no viable alternatives. I would prefer one that emphasized on recycling used fluid and sharing it in a centralized system with dozens of other coffins, rather then

Also, the Matrix was updated, and as far as I can discern, I like it better.
Why waste a revision just simplifying when we have plenty of experience already with the CryoStat, which should make developments a bit easier? And please input more than make it simple. There are a million ways a GM can punish the lack of effort. Simple could.mean using only 1/2 inch bolts, or reducing the number of tubes, or removing functionality and making it a dunk tank. Give some guidelines so we don't get absolutely slammed on a low roll.

We spend the revision studying and getting a better understanding of the Cryostat's workings. This makes it so it'ws no longer complex. I don't see why that needs extra writeup. Also, yes, we should absolutely make it so this revision is Normal, not Very Hard. Why? Because one squad of SEEM is a lot worse than making it VE and getting a bunch of them.
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2018, 03:35:22 pm »

Just because we understand something, doesn't mean its automatically easier to make, easier to use, or similar.

We are engineering a new piece of equipment based off of or directly modified from our old systems, and that means we have to trade off parts and pieces, even if it is abstracted.

It may be something as simple as replacing "old" parts for parts that are better in every way, but that is still a trade-off. Also, I hate lazy bastards and only vote for things that have write-ups, so if you want my vote, write something up.

Also, I'm not quite able to coherently understand the latter part of your sentence; Are you saying that by making the revision easier and less ambitious, it would be easier to get more than one squad of SEEM?

Looking at the rolls of the past turns, I think Waffles smudged our roll into our favor this turn, but call that a feeling since I cant demonstrably prove any type of bias in the GM or the dice he uses.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 23, 2018, 04:37:42 pm »

The CryoState

By utilizing several (Rather Dated) advances in Recombination and the automation of the brewery, we have comprehensively redesigned the CryoStat Tank from the ground up to utilize modern technology and systems.  By re-engineering entire production lines and eliminating efficiency and logistical overhead issues, we expect the production and usage of CryoStat Tanks to increase tenfold. Correspondingly, It may permeate lower into our society, as the tanks must always churn for somebody under the States care, even if it means that civilians get a chance at the tanks.

For the future of all mankind, we will spearhead a new era of Humanity, where a Person is not a person until they are an Aratamite Citizen of the glorious Present.

Superconductor Overhaul(0):
MediStat Tank:
S.E.E.M./I.N.G.(1): MoP
CryoStat Matrix(3): The Ensorceler brightfractal, Rockeater
CryoStat Not Complex(1): BBBence1111
CryoState(1):Blood Librarian

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 23, 2018, 04:38:47 pm »

MediStat Tank:
CryoStat Matrix(3): The Ensorceler brightfractal, Rockeater
CryoState(2):Blood Librarian, Talion

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 23, 2018, 04:50:45 pm »

MediStat Tank:
CryoStat Matrix(2): brightfractal, Rockeater
CryoState(3):Blood Librarian, Talion, The Ensorceler

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 23, 2018, 05:28:49 pm »

That should work to simplify things tremendously, with the side effect of hopefully cheapening our supersoldier projects a bit. I can get behind that. It also may or may not prime our whole society for future endeavors.

MediStat Tank:
S.E.E.M./I.N.G.(0):
CryoStat Matrix(2): brightfractal, Rockeater
CryoState(4):Blood Librarian, Talion, The Ensorceler, MoP

I'm mulling over a design for next turn to equip our Fury troops, or a proposal that may introduce simple pyrokinesis to our arsenal.  Bears are a significant issue for us, and heat a significant issue for them.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 23, 2018, 05:35:54 pm »

I wouldn't count on them not fixing it. They will probably spend their revision on it.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 23, 2018, 08:59:54 pm »

Oh there's no doubt that that's on their to-do list, but I can imagine countering our PsiOps is too, judging by the focus on it in their propaganda. Regardless, it doesn't hurt to have ideas on the back burner in case they opt not to fix their issues for a season or two. And I can always hope that the side I don't join gets low rolls every once in a while.

brightfractal

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Gazes Into Beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 24, 2018, 02:31:49 am »

MediStat Tank:
S.E.E.M./I.N.G.(0):
CryoStat Matrix(1): Rockeater
CryoState(5):Blood Librarian, Talion, The Ensorceler, MoP, Brightfractal

Tech proliferation is good and will help appease the public, and of course, the Necrostate itself.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:33:50 am by brightfractal »

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 24, 2018, 08:26:58 pm »

MediStat Tank:
S.E.E.M./I.N.G.(0):
CryoStat Matrix(1): Rockeater
CryoState(6):Blood Librarian, Talion, The Ensorceler, MoP, Brightfractal
Better than nothing, I suppose.
I fear it is too ambitious for a revision, however.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 30, 2018, 04:23:16 pm »

The CryoState

By utilizing several (Rather Dated) advances in Recombination and the automation of the brewery, we have comprehensively redesigned the CryoStat Tank from the ground up to utilize modern technology and systems.  By re-engineering entire production lines and eliminating efficiency and logistical overhead issues, we expect the production and usage of CryoStat Tanks to increase tenfold. Correspondingly, It may permeate lower into our society, as the tanks must always churn for somebody under the States care, even if it means that civilians get a chance at the tanks.

For the future of all mankind, we will spearhead a new era of Humanity, where a Person is not a person until they are an Aratamite Citizen of the glorious Present.

Revision: The CryoState
(Trivial) (3+3)+2 = 8: Perfect Craftsmanship

The CryoStat Tank is a crude relic from our past now.
It has seen extreme usage despite its extreme expenses. We've modified it to do all sorts of things, and it's been a favorite of the Design Bureau for creating new forms of enhanced individuals. We know all about its ins and outs and its flaws from the many reports of technicians working on it over the years. We even can apply experience gained during the creation of the Cannalan Embassy to it. It's about time we made a change.

The CryoStat has been, of course, modified. It's still large and won't see significant usage at the front lines, but its use is so much more than just healing wounded soldiers. A new general-use chemical concoction (made partially using Metal Recombinators) allows for much more efficient infusion of drugs into the human body - almost more efficient than if we directly injected the drugs into the bloodstream. Advanced chemical recycling systems means that we don't waste extreme amounts of rare chemicals as it's flushed down with the rest of the CryoStat fluids. Use of experience gained from our other endeavors in enhancer drugs allows for making the solution simply more effective with less materials required.
A basic electronic system, taken from the Cannalan embassy and improved somewhat, does a large portion of the process. A technician only needs to occasionally visit a CryoStat tank in order to update the automated processes accordingly, and one technician can manage many tanks at a time.
Shared piping systems means we can hook up multiple tanks to the same machinery, allowing for us to handle many more individuals than before. A modern CryoStat array consists of about ten tanks hooked up to one set of CryoStat machinery.

Most importantly, we do a complete overhaul of the logistics behind CryoStat. It takes some effort, but the NecroState is convinced to begin a comprehensive system managing the use of CryoStat tanks -- dubbed the CryoState by most, already. Individuals authorized for use of the CryoState are registered in a computer system. Their time and general use is recorded, preventing waste and ensuring optimal results. A training program is instituted for technicians, with special privileges guaranteed to the high-performers. Each technician is given their own set of tanks to look after, and their performance is tracked as well. An evaluation system has been put in place for newly-constructed tanks, using our experience in the general field to approve each set of machinery before it's deployed in order to avoid costly errors.

As such, the CryoStat Tank is now Cheap.
With it, Goldeneye is now Expensive and SEEM is Very Expensive. Both due to the increased availability of CryoStat tanks for use in the treatments' processes.

Cryo Clinics are currently in the process of being opened by the Necrostate to fully realize our changes. From what our contacts in the State tell us, they're still relatively unsure how to handle the radically increased availability; but some form of change in the very near future is likely.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Combat Phase of Summer 1962 has begun. Post your propaganda entries in the Core thread before the Combat Report arrives for consideration. One entry per person.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Summer 1962 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #296 on: April 30, 2018, 04:28:55 pm »

My only regret was that we could've done more.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1962 - Combat Phase)
« Reply #297 on: May 07, 2018, 06:20:12 pm »

Combat Report: Fall 1962

The propaganda was effective, but unfortunately the Necrostate is largely occupied with fighting over managing the CryoState. Though the B.E.O. is very happy with their new SEEM operatives so far, at least.
And it was only a matter of time until Mereth introduced their version of a tank.
It was fun while it lasted.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Design Phase of Fall 1962 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1962 - Design Phase)
« Reply #298 on: May 07, 2018, 08:06:01 pm »

On a phone, but I've been looking forward to this progressing. Here's my two current ideas. Probably going to have more by the time I get back home in six hours.

"Peacemaker" Blades (since we have Machete pistols): Our Fury troops have unfortunately been a lower priority than our other projects - this development seeks to reverse that neglect. We've taken the concept of monomolecular blades and thrown in Aratam ingenuity. By creating a glass blade strengthened through metal recombination we hope to arm our Fury troops with something more than their fists. Something that should also work against the increased amount of Personal Armor being fielded by our enemies.

That's our conventional option. But as always, here's another that dives further down the rabbit hole.

Project F.E.A.R.(Fury Entering the Astral Realm): S.E.E.M. was a great boon to put forces, the effects of Spice having been apparently multiplied after exposure to the Astral Realm. Project F.E.A.R. seeks to replicate the S.E.E.M. process, swapping Spice for Fury. While all agree that the results cannot be predicted, there are two ruling schools of thought:

A majority believe that F.E.A.R. will result in berserkers, soldiers possessed by rage to be unleashed into the battlefield.
The minority, who even themselves are sceptical, believe that the association of rage and anger with fire might be based on some intrinsic knowledge of the influences of the Astral Realm. The results of S.E.E.M. prove, however, that we know very little of our reality, and anything is possible.

Both options aim to improve our neglected Furies as well as provide a level of counter to enemy armor. I might make some vehicle suggestions later, but I wanted to get these out for discussion.

brightfractal

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Gazes Into Beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1962 - Design Phase)
« Reply #299 on: May 08, 2018, 04:45:39 am »

Quote from: from brightfractal
P.U.F.F

PUFF or Polynitrogen Unit Fixiation Formula is a new type of thermobaric explosive developed by our resident genius chemist Bright in order to aid in the war effort against the recently deployed mechs by Mereth.

After we took the Mountains from Merethian hands, Bright decided in brewing a new form of explosivealcohol for the troops to keep morale up. After a night of victory partying the results where... catastrophic to say the least. Further investigation shows the compound is an exotic nitrogen allotrope with multiple nitrogen bonds organized in a cubic manner similar to the theoretical Octaazacubane. The explosive is expected to have an energy density of 25MJ/kg, six times more powerful than that of TNT.

The bomb that carries this deadly payload works on the principle of dust bombs, spreading its payload in a wide ranging area. The container of the explosive is a pressured 350lb Metallicly Recombinated Warhead to withstand the outgoing gas for a duration of time before detonating via escaping pressure, dispersing P.U.F.F gas over a wide area prior to a SynthOil detonator detonates the gas itself. The shockwaves caused by the Thermobaric will reveberate turning the much despised Grizzly into a makeshift tomb as the air is forcibly sucked-out by the succeeding vacuum.

The warhead is a heavily modified "Red Skies" missile as its delivery vehicle.

TL;DR: We make a Fuel Air Bomb to get rid of their Tunnels and their mechanized infantry

Quote from: From brightfractal
P.U.F.F(1) brightfractal
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 07:19:34 am by brightfractal »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 51