Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 51

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 60744 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Aratam Design Bureau (Summer 1962 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #270 on: April 22, 2018, 08:43:46 pm »

General bad things, as the awareness doesn't mesh well with the effects of Fury.

Humans also can't really perform well when loaded up on that much of your super-special drugs, and it can currently lead to general unpleasentness no matter what the combining drugs are, kidney failure, etc.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

brightfractal

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Gazes Into Beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 23, 2018, 01:34:02 am »

Superconductor Overhaul

Our current conductor technology has been found lacking in terms of exploiting our new power sources; we seek to rectify that.
Utilizing metallic recombinators and our refinery facility we've created a new form of high temperature Cuprate superconductor using common and rare elements such as Copper, Barium, and Yttrium. The new material is expected to improve our SynthOil motors, streamline and miniaturise the Gel-Matrix Bio-Paste Reactor, and finally, decomplexify the Tesla Rifle as well as improving its rate-of-fire.

This should help us defeat their COMBAT armor and help our tanks, ships, and vehicles in general
Superconductor Overhaul(1)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:43:24 am by brightfractal »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 23, 2018, 02:05:12 am »

I think we should do something to improve the initial blow our S.E.E.M. Soldiers do. Both my revisions aim to make the process cheaper or less complex, based on GM interpretation. I decided to make one that should be fairly easy, and another that sends us further down the Rabbit Hole.

Quote from: MediStat Tank
As should be expected of any miracle technology, demand far exceeds supply when it comes to our CryoStat tanks. Our engineers seek to fill the supply gap with the MediStat Tank. The MediStat Tank and it's auxiliary equipment are designed solely for the purposes of Recovery, Rejuvenation, and Regeneration. Our engineers hope that by specializing the Tanks they will be able to improve healing efficiency and, perhaps, reduce the area required to house and operate a MediStat Tank. This should also serve to free up our CryoStat Tanks for more...seemingly scientific purposes.

Quote from: S.E.E.M./I.N.G. (Systematic Elimination of the Entropic Mind/Improved Neurological Grafting)
The first batch of S.E.E.M. Soldiers came out better than expected, however we still know very little about the processes and effects of S.E.E.M. treatment as well as exposure to "The Astral". In order to better understand what we are doing to our soldiers, extensive and thorough autopsies are performed on deceased subjects in an attempt to identify the areas of the brain damaged, enhanced, or both, by S.E.E.M. treatment and Astral exposure. Select successful subjects also undergo exhaustive chemical and neurological testing, with results compared to the failures to identify a stronger reason for success than just being strong-willed. Our scientists and engineers hope that by improving our understanding of S.E.E.M. and The Astral and their affects on humans, we will see a drop in treatments resulting in failure, though their top priority is streamlining S.E.E.M. treatment by identifying which parts of the brain require reinforcement and which are best left unaltered.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 23, 2018, 03:03:13 am »

The superconductor seems really, really ambitious for a revision.

CryoStat Matrix

Our existing CryoStat Pods are insufficient for the demands of war. The operator is overworked, the plumbing is bulky, and chemical supplies are wasted. The CryoStat Matrix addresses these issues by linking together a ring of CryoStat Tanks, centralizing most of the machinery needed to sustain its cadre of patients, and by daisy-chaining the patients themselves together by way of implanted Bio-Sockets. By sharing biological functions, the combined biological inertia renders the cadre stable enough for a simple automatic program to handle long term stasis and regeneration procedures. Installing patients and decanting them, as well as specific modifications to the cadre's biology are still done manually, but the increased time required for the cadre to completely die and the reduced stress of not working around the clock means that any trained personnel can operate the new pods, not just our very best and brightest.

EDIT: Clarified how subjects are arranged.

Quote from: votes
Superconductor Overhaul(1): brightfractal
MediStat Tank:
S.E.E.M./I.N.G.
CryoStat Matrix(1): The Ensorceler
CryoStat Not Complex(1): BBBence1111
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:58:49 am by The Ensorceler »

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 23, 2018, 03:06:02 am »

Quote from: Make Cryostat not complex
Our scientists and engineers study Cryostat, in an effort to make it not complex.
Someone votebox me for this, lazy to do it myself.
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

brightfractal

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Gazes Into Beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 23, 2018, 05:46:09 am »

Quote from: votes
Superconductor Overhaul(0): brightfractal
MediStat Tank:
S.E.E.M./I.N.G.
CryoStat Matrix(2): The Ensorceler brightfractal

I'm convinced this would help us train more goldeneye and SEEM troopers which should help us counter their artillery.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:48:00 am by brightfractal »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 23, 2018, 05:56:45 am »

@Ensorceler. If I had designed the CryoStat Matrix, I would've made the chemicals and similar things go through recycling equipment and a centralized cryogenic control system, because, not gonna lie, having a bunch of people in the same "fluid" together in the tanks scare me a little.

MediStat Tank:
S.E.E.M./I.N.G.
CryoStat Matrix(3): The Ensorceler brightfractal, Blood_Librarian
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 23, 2018, 06:02:20 am »

MediStat Tank:
S.E.E.M./I.N.G.
CryoStat Matrix(4): The Ensorceler brightfractal, Blood_Librarian, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 23, 2018, 07:52:10 am »

The Matrix isn't going to help us with S.E.E.M. Soldiers, I think for multiple reasons. We're not going to get sensory deprivation with multiple people in the same chamber hooked up to one another. One tug on an interconnected tube will ruin the treatment. If someone winds up failing, it's a decision between going into the tank and removing them, disturbing the rest of the subjects (if there weren't convulsions that already did that), or letting the corpse poison the subjects connected to it. I also can't imagine treating multiple people for a variety of injuries is going to reduce complexity, or be all that effective, since each individual is likely to need a unique treatment. Think about how important dosages for modern, sane medicine are. Now imagine what can go wrong when combating age itself, regrowing a leg, or exposing someone to Spice with the wrong dosage of treatments. The revision might be simplifying the machine, but it'll greatly complicate the treatment process.

I'd much rather see the MediStat Tank put to use (but SEEM/ING more so), but if we're going to go the Matrix route, consider this instead.

Quote from: CryoStat Array
The CryoStat Array is a series of seven chambers separated by reinforced glass arranged in an incomplete ring. 1/8th of the ring is missing to allow technicians to access the controls and machinery contained in the inner circle. Subjects are daisy-chained together using implanted Bio-Sockets, with each line going through a filtration system to ensure accurate and proper treatment. Installing patients and decanting them, as well as specific modifications to the cadre's biology are still done manually, but technicians are otherwise only required to observe the equipment once treatment has begun, providing our more trained personnel with time to rest, or pursue other studies.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 23, 2018, 09:54:30 am »

The centralized filtration would either be a pretty demanding job to micromanage several people at once, constantly, or be a vastly more difficult piece of automation. I'm kind of cheating the difficulty by letting a bunch of constantly regenerating livers do that for me.

I guess it didn't end up in the final draft, but the Matrix was already supposed to use multiple chambers. As for different treatments, people can be batched together with others getting the same thing.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 23, 2018, 09:57:46 am »

I believe the intent of the Matrix was to have multiple coffins strung together connected to one centralized logistical structure. If it is not that, I will change my vote.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 23, 2018, 10:48:58 am »

Guys. Just decomplex it. No need to Wunderwaffen it. Don't overcomplicate anything. Make it simple.
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 23, 2018, 11:56:13 am »

Why waste a revision just simplifying when we have plenty of experience already with the CryoStat, which should make developments a bit easier? And please input more than make it simple. There are a million ways a GM can punish the lack of effort. Simple could.mean using only 1/2 inch bolts, or reducing the number of tubes, or removing functionality and making it a dunk tank. Give some guidelines so we don't get absolutely slammed on a low roll.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2018, 11:59:33 am »

Quote from: Make Cryostat not complex
Our scientists and engineers study Cryostat, in an effort to make it not complex.
Someone votebox me for this, lazy to do it myself.

Then write an actual proposal for it instead of one or two sentences that mean nothing besides trying to game the system. How do we make it simple? What do we give up to make it happen? These questions must be considered, even if they seem obvious. Personally, I't be willing to give up the "independence" of having units in separate facilities with their own projects.

I somewhat dislike the Matrix, but I see no viable alternatives. I would prefer one that emphasized on recycling used fluid and sharing it in a centralized system with dozens of other coffins, rather then

Also, the Matrix was updated, and as far as I can discern, I like it better.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2018, 02:26:46 pm »

I realize when I mentioned treatments I accidentally heavily implied that a matrix would be filled with a motley selection of injuries. I didn't think that'd be the case, I was just calling to mind some things that could go very wrong in a system that doesn't heavily regulate chemical treatment. Unless they suffer the exact same trauma, have similar metabolic rates, and similar body types, both the type and intensity of treatment will be varied. If a liver in the chain winds up shutting down, the other livers will be responsible for picking up the slack, further taxing their systems and ultimately requiring an adjustment in treatment. The filters in the CryoStat Array are meant to be programmed to remove toxins and ensure subject dosage falls within acceptable limits for their individual capacities. I feel like relying on subject biology when those subjects biologies are under duress is very risky.

That being said, I'm not 100% opposed anymore, though I'd rather see us delve further into the unknown this turn to maximize impact. If it was proposed next turn I'd probably vote for it, but I'd rather not give our enemies the chance to counter our SEEM Soldiers before we can deploy more than a squad.

Also removed brightfractals superconductor vote. Their next votebox tallied 0 votes for it but they left their name and the tally got added back in by someone down the line. Let me know if I was wrong!

Superconductor Overhaul(0):
MediStat Tank:
S.E.E.M./I.N.G.(1): MoP
CryoStat Matrix(4): The Ensorceler brightfractal, Blood_Librarian, Rockeater
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:29:11 pm by Man of Paper »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 51