Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Seedship  (Read 11852 times)

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seedship
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 10:26:26 am »

The game is a bit harsh on loosing culture and science data. I preserved all of the colonists but they reverted to stone age tools because science hit zero. Surely there should be a science cap based on how many people are left alive?

Also I landed my ship on a world with a post singularity civilization but there was no option to dock with a satellite or communicate with the aliens before landing. And everyone died when we crashed.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2017, 02:32:13 am »

The sequel to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy addresses that point.  A human character ends up in a low-tech world and plans to give them his advanced technology, only to realize that he doesn't personally know how to build any of it.

Anyway, my attempts.  I've found that the idea of the ship being constantly damaged over time makes me nervous, so I tend to jump on the first good bet that I see.  My first two runs ended up with somewhat opposite results.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The first was a technologically advanced but corrupt society on a hostile world where the temperatures are "lead melting" (oops).
The second was a perfect society on a perfect world.  The colonists combined the lessons of Earth and the lessons of the planet's former inhabitants to build a society that would avoid the mistakes of both.  Just one tiny problem... the planet lacked the mineral wealth needed to construct advanced technology.  Thus even tho the initial colonists possessed the knowhow, the couldn't build any of it and the knowledge was lost to time.  But hey, at least they're happy with their neolithic tech, right?  Bonus points for being able to moon jump everywhere.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

newsamsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2017, 03:14:25 am »

Not bad...except the weather.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2017, 08:15:50 pm »

Lack of resources leads to drastic loss of science, lack of colonists leads to drastic loss of culture.  Not sure I agree with the overall theory, but this is a game and those are the rules.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2017, 08:36:58 pm »

I still don't understand how a 1,000 people can maintain genetic diversity. Do they do like Outpost 2 and use gene banks/cloning technology? Then again, looking at the backstory of Outpost 2, it's very similar to Seedship's story.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2017, 08:46:51 pm »

If you reach almost-extinction the text explicitly mentions the colony employing their cloning equipment to make up the shortfall.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2017, 09:10:58 pm »

The sequel to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy addresses that point.  A human character ends up in a low-tech world and plans to give them his advanced technology, only to realize that he doesn't personally know how to build any of it.
The text for the event where you read the technology library (and even less directly the description of hostile, but low tech endings) imply that the 1000 people you have with you are actually experts in all sorts of things, and the library is primarily meant as a backup (for when they die you kill them. you monster.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2017, 12:05:51 am »

The text for the event where you read the technology library (and even less directly the description of hostile, but low tech endings) imply that the 1000 people you have with you are actually experts in all sorts of things, and the library is primarily meant as a backup (for when they die you kill them. you monster.)

What are they experts in, though? To pull from THGTTG again, the world's finest telephone sanitizer isn't going to be of much use in a low-tech society. But even among practical skillsets there can be enough points of specialization lost to cause a breakdown-- and I was about to expound on that in terms of establishing even a basic metals industry when I realized this is on a DF forum and people probably know exactly what I mean. (So who DID make the first anvil...?)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2017, 01:33:32 am »

What are they experts in, though? To pull from THGTTG again, the world's finest telephone sanitizer isn't going to be of much use in a low-tech society. But even among practical skillsets there can be enough points of specialization lost to cause a breakdown-- and I was about to expound on that in terms of establishing even a basic metals industry when I realized this is on a DF forum and people probably know exactly what I mean. (So who DID make the first anvil...?)

At least in this game's case, we know they brought it with them on embark.

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2017, 10:55:09 am »

At least in this game's case, we know they brought it with them on embark.
Nah, the first anvil was created by the [BEAST_MACHINE_FRAMEWORK] because Armok told it to. He  then created the first mortal anvils from his god-anvil.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2017, 12:59:52 pm »

I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2017, 01:25:35 pm »

I still don't understand how a 1,000 people can maintain genetic diversity. Do they do like Outpost 2 and use gene banks/cloning technology? Then again, looking at the backstory of Outpost 2, it's very similar to Seedship's story.

https://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/3/what-is-the-minimum-human-population-necessary-for-a-sustainable-colony

tldr: without genebanks and partner selection, about 4 thousand is the minimum. with genebanks and partner selection to minimize inbreeding, around 400 makes the population stable long term, 160 is stable short term, 80 in an emergency but not sustainable.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]