Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Seedship  (Read 11859 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: Seedship
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 05:59:56 pm »

@umiman
     This is how you do it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 06:03:38 pm »

@umiman
     This is how you do it.
Uhh... your ship looks like it got slightly damaged on the way.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 06:33:27 pm »

PTW.

I won't post any of my runs, suffice to say they've been surpassed by runs already left here (Though one of mine did reach ~10900).
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 06:58:07 pm »

Yeah, it's a little disappointingly hard to kill the little buggers. I landed on a terrible planet but the colonists still somehow managed to put up airtight domes, set up water machines which run indefinitely, and genetically modify themselves to live in the lead-melting heat. After which they went back to the middle ages. Oh well.

Hehe, this one is good: Found a perfect planet, but lost ALL scientific and cultural records along the way.

Perhaps ignorance isn't bliss after all...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:24:09 pm by Egan_BW »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 07:33:41 pm »

@umiman
     This is how you do it.
Uhh... your ship looks like it got slightly damaged on the way.

Most of that damage occurred during the crash-landing, before that most of the scanners were above 50%, science was in the 80's, culture in the 50's, but the landing gear was around 40ish and the landing was a little heavy.  The lack of colonists might have caused problems as well, 570 survived the trip and the landing, but building the colony in the harsh conditions with severely damage construction killed them all.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 07:48:52 pm »

I had a planet which was basically Earth 2, being green in all sections with additional beneficial resources--metallic moon and edible plants, and the automatic name for it is "Terra Nova", scored around 14k+ points (or was it 11k+, I forget >_< Whichever it was, it was higher than the usual 10.5k 'high' score common to egalitarian utopias, or post-scarcity environments), with this one being "post-singularity". Sadly, when locals are met this way, the 'tech difference' (even in Atomic Age versus 'Earth level or better' mean they won't connect :( )

And worse yet, this was all done on an incognito browser so I can't do screenshots. :'(

But I find it a simple game after seeing into the mechanisms--beneficial resources counter some certain detriments in the 5 areas where the scanners provide info from, if they're lacking. For example, animals counter gravity, Ruins (high-tech/monumental) counter science/cultural [at around 20% or so], Mineral rich moon counters resources (though it won't be enough if resources are 'red'), and cavern systems (insulated or airtight) counter temperature and atmosphere respectively. Plants, I presume, counter Water. Beauty affects peacefulness and doesn't seem to correlate with culture. Nothing I've seen aids Landing, so that is a very important stat to keep at 90%+ (I've had 93% without failure or detriment), and Construction doesn't seem to affect anything unless there is a detrimental modifier (e.g. See below), as I've managed to live with 16% Construction (it'll say 'few construction robots' or something), and still thrive with an egalitarian utopia at post-singularity because resources, culture, and science were awesome, alongside the planet itself. Hello Terra Nova!

Construction modifies those areas for scanners on how well your colonists survive, as far as I've found (eg With 27% Construction [in the red], all my colonists died in a moderately 'green' planet, but with Dangerous plants), while Landing modifies literally everything upon landing--if damaged, EVERYTHING ELSE will be in tiny percents when your ship lands on the planet regardless of planet state. I've found it is always better to let your scanners take a hit than to let your sleep chambers or at least landing gear take it instead, and that the events of 'Jettison a malfunctioning probe' versus 'keep it' never results in dynamic variance (which is why I've come to the conclusion of simplicity, meaning it holds a ton of potential, a 'seed' of a game in itself :3), because if you keep it, you lose a bit of your ship stats, if you jettison it, -1 to probes. And you have 10 of them anyway so they are the most expendable resource.

Next are bonuses and resources, there are at times beneficial drones sent out after your seedship that you'll encounter ('handshake signal'), and if they note they are 'heavily damaged', they'll often just collide with your ship than providing their repairs to all scanner/gear, or restorations to both scientific/cultural database, wherein these drones restore all to 100%, and not either/or, in those 2 sections entirely. If they're pockmarked with micrometeorites, they're okay.

Sadly, having less than 900 colonists makes your in-game fate worse, for some reason. Mine often devolved to dumb capitalist corruption despite anything else, even with 150%+ culture. Making the imagery quite annoying. -_- At least when you have high science but the same context, you get a scientific...police state. Lower culture values mean more corruption (guessing it is tied with # of colonists left too) or more horrible endings, like tyrannical theocracies proclaiming Earth being paradise, or otherwise with the theme of "Guarding the last vestiges of culture from the masses".

Also I find it silly that there are some modifiers that are just downright 'kill people'. :P "Dangerous Ruins. Dangerous Plants. Dangerous Animals." All of them just kill your colonists with nothing beneficial.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:55:26 am by Tiruin »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 08:50:21 pm »

Looks like the surviving humanity did a great job at recreating their civilisation in that one, poverty, exploitation, crimes, corrupt politicians :

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 11:26:11 pm »

Technology and culture seems to be more important than how nice the planet itself is.

Case in point. I like this one for actually being a decent planet. Mostly. Who needs metallurgy? Or air?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 12:09:46 am »

Always a bit disappointing to see tech ruins on a planet with no resources. It's very not worth it to land on those. Guess the aliens died out due to using all the resources...
I wish there was some way to get extra science and culture for landing probes on such planets. So much we could learn, even from places not suitable for colonization.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2017, 04:51:55 am »

Why do my colonists always do something unexpectedly terrible? I put them down somewhere nice, a few hundred die, and suddenly its all, "lets enslave the natives and establish an opressive theocracy despite the cultural archives surviving intact."

Yeah, the mechanics are a bit illogical, but its a very nice game for all that: nice bare prose, ok mechanics, interesting idea.

Ok, how are people getting such high scores? I find a near-perfect world with just one red, and 700 people die of poisonous plants. The colony survives having only 79 people through cloning, thanks to perfect science scores supplemented by artifacts, then all culture is lost in a nuclear war, and the survivors live in a post-apocalyptic post-industrial wasteland in a state of total anarchy.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:46:53 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2017, 07:52:44 am »

a near-perfect world ... 700 people die of poisonous plants.

Now that there's your problem right there.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2017, 07:55:34 am »

Ok, how are people getting such high scores? I find a near-perfect world with just one red, and 700 people die of poisonous plants. The colony survives having only 79 people through cloning, thanks to perfect science scores supplemented by artifacts, then all culture is lost in a nuclear war, and the survivors live in a post-apocalyptic post-industrial wasteland in a state of total anarchy.
What Criptfeind said. :P FOR SOME REASON, the # of colonists mean how 'good' your lasting legacy will be regardless of the tech/culture. Doesn't make any sense, but it's only one contributor. Other ones are how much science and culture you save. (If anything, ALWAYS let damage go to scanners if you can, because you have probes to patch up their losses, whereas other areas [landing/construction, or the databases] don't have them)

I'm just pretty happy I scored a Terra Nova somewhere. ♥ Was my best planet, and people didn't act like jerks once they found it. \o/

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2017, 07:56:36 am »

Ok, I got 9132 by removing all red things, but still. The game becomes entirely about keeping the cultural databases and landing things intact long enough to upgrade all scanners.
One wheel short of a wagon

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2017, 07:59:44 am »

First run, did decent I'm guessing.

Planet Garden
Atmosphere:   Breathable
Gravity:   Moderate
Temperature:   Hot
Water:   Oceans
Resources:   Rich

Features:
Barren moon
Plant life

Garden's alien forests stretch away beneath a blue sky. The colonists live in cities of steel and glass with buildings sealed against the planet's harsh environment, beside rivers that flow into the planet's oceans. They spend their time pursuing art, leisure, and spiritual fulfilment, while automatic machines take care of their material needs. In the first city stand monuments to the 11 colonists who died building the first settlement and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Planet atmosphere:   500
Planet gravity:   500
Planet temperature:   250
Planet water:   500
Planet resources:   500
Survivors after landing:   1000
Survivors after settlement construction:   989
Final technology level (Information Age):   2000
Final culture (Post-Scarcity Utopia):   2500
Surviving scientific database × 10:   1000
Surviving cultural database × 10:   930
Total:   10669
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2017, 10:13:36 am »

Planet Oceanus
Atmosphere:   Marginal
Gravity:   High
Temperature:   Very hot
Water:   Planet-wide ocean
Resources:   None
Features:
   Barren moon
Outstanding beauty
Plant life
Animal life
Monumental ruins

Oceanus's calm ocean that stretches to the horizon a pale blue sky. The colonists live in squat stone-walled cities under airtight domes, on platforms floating on the planet-wide ocean. They live lives of peace and spiritual fulfilment beyond the dreams of their ancestors on Earth, guided by a combination of human and alien philosophy. In the first city stand monuments to the 113 colonists who died building the first settlement and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Planet atmosphere:   250
Planet gravity:   250
Planet temperature:   0
Planet water:   250
Planet resources:   0
Survivors after landing:   1000
Survivors after settlement construction:   887
Final technology level (Neolithic):   600
Final culture (Cosmic Enlightenment):   3000
Surviving scientific database × 10:   300
Surviving cultural database × 10:   1250