Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Seedship  (Read 11855 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Seedship
« on: November 23, 2017, 11:51:10 pm »

Seedship is a free browser game about playing a lone AI pilot leading the last frozen humans to a new home after the destruction of Earth.

Link

Spoiler: My first ending. (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Seedship
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 12:01:24 am »

I like how you can basically fail technologically but still build a utopian society.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 12:28:46 am »

Hmm. First planet I find is very cold and generally inhospitable... but has edible plants. Wish I knew how common that was...
Guess I don't want my colonists living on a shithole covered in things they can technically eat... moving on.

Next one has... Breathable atmosphere, plants and animals! And no water. Wonder how these life forms live without that...
Probe states that though there are no good resources on the planet surface, there is a metal-rich moon. Edible plants again, and non-harmful animals. No explanation as to their internal workings, boo. I wanted to do some science, even if we're not staying here. :(
...And we're not. Too cold and too much gravity. Next.

We nearly run into a comet, and in avoiding it take some minor damage to the atmosphere sensor (~3%). Don't think this will be much of a problem.

This planet is ALSO very cold, just like the last two. Hopefully this pattern does not hold up, I don't like the idea of poor little humans being cold. :(
Also the atmosphere is corrosive according to my slightly damaged sensors. All around a crappy lifeless planet. Next.

I've tweaked my sensors to pick up on extreme temperatures from interstellar distance, so we hopefully won't run into any more frozen hellholes. :)
Took very minor damage to the resources scanner. No problem.

This planet has both breathable atmosphere and oceans! And animal life, and apparently structures on the surface? Oh man, I've GOT too see this up close!
Aw. Probe says the structures were just normal geological formations. But! This place has edible plants and potentially useful animals! Practically a second earth here, even if it's a bit hot and light...
Oh yeah, and no resources. But humans don't technically NEED those, right? My decision is made.

Spoiler: datadump? (click to show/hide)

Well, all 1000 colonists who got frozen made it, so that's a win right there.

I wouldn't call this one a win, but it scored higher than my other one and is a somewhat interesting setting:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

High-tech cities floating on a massive boiling ocean, with corrupt politics! Practically a cyberpunk dream.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:25:08 am by Egan_BW »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 03:14:05 am »

This was the third world visited after two with toxic atmospheres.

Spoiler: Other Stats (click to show/hide)

I think I would classify that as a good run.  Better than the previous missions where I lost up to 50% of the colonists.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 06:13:21 am »

My first run. Looks like a success.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 07:16:47 am »

First run. Color me interested.

Second Run, took the first planet and wound up with the neat imagery the write up for this one conjures up:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:27:30 am by Man of Paper »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 09:45:09 am »

I tried so hard to go as many turns as possible with sensor upgrades and letting non-important systems get hit (like who needs atmo scanners if you already know it'll be breathable)... and got to around 7 000 -9 000 score

and then, just by luck the 2end planet:

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 10:39:11 am »

Spoiler: first playthrough (click to show/hide)
This was before I knew to use a survey probe on a good candidate.

Spoiler: best score (click to show/hide)
Who needs gravity anyways?

I do need to test out if landing systems effects much if you land on a very low gravity planet.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 10:52:33 am »

Got 10689 on my first one, a nice little planet full of minerals, natives, useful animals, and lead melting temperatures that require the humans to live inside sealed high tech cities for their whole lives.

Second one was 10024. Got a post singularity alien tech using society floating on top of the oceans of a planet very well suited for human life (abet full of giant predators) but apparently starting with 400 less people (mostly from said predators) caused the society to somehow devolve into a corrupt democracy (which doesn't really make sense to me but okay)

Last one was 11845. Landed on a planet perfect for humanity except for the relatively low resources and scorching temperature, but luckily there were caves that were both insulated and air tight, so humanity moved into those. Resources were low, but a metal rich moon provided everything humanity needs to maintain their current levels of technology. Their interactions with alien races, both the advanced but extinct race that left ruins dotted about the surface of the planet and the primitive races that still inhabit it has accelerated the cultural development of the human race into Cosmic Enlightenment.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 11:29:15 am »

I was pretty happy with my second run-through, and it's 10526 score. Bounty had a toxic, very hot atmosphere, but its airtight caves helped, and its alien artifacts meant humanity ended up with post-singularity technology. I have no doubt, with the abundant resources, they will manage to scatter themselves to even more stars, perhaps even using a descendant of my AI to shepherd their children to new locales.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 11:45:24 am »

I went for 0 cilivisation and high tech, so my people nuked the primitives and then each other. Good stuff.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 01:21:53 pm »

First playthrough went pretty well. Surveyed an alien ship, and my fourth planet was really nice.

Space is easy, just get lucky and sacrifice some of your settlers to xenosharks.

Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 05:11:11 pm »

I started this up. Read all the stuff about being the last hope for humanity.

The very first planet to come up was.

Mmm, yes. My sophisticated AI tells me that this is the perfect place for humanity. No food. No air. No gravity. No heat. No resources. And ice everywhere.

Brilliant. I press the button.

Wat?

How... how did they live? What do they eat? And they enjoy it?! They are ruled by benevolent monarchs?!

Fuck!

-----------------

Okay, round two. I may have failed the first time, but thanks to my time machine I can go back and correct this mistake.

Yes! Yes! This is perfect! Now there's even no water mwahahahaha! There's some plants, but with no water they will die in moments. And they'll be so hot they'll be starving for the water they'll never get! My genius knows no bounds!

Press the button!

Are you fucki-... Wha-? How?! How did they live?!!!!

Isn't this even better than before?! Now they live in the modern age what? I-.. But-... Wha?

Fuck!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 05:20:45 pm »

The main thing I'm wondering is, how do they establish a population with only 1000 colonists? Don't you need around 10,000-40,000 to avoid inbreeding and ensure genetic diversity?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 05:36:47 pm »

Alright. One last try.

It has nothing. It straight up has nothing. It even has poison plants and a hostile civilization this time. There's no way they can survive this. There is literally nothing for them here.

... not a single person died.

... it's a Utopian society.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5