Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 39

Author Topic: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid - Strategy SY108  (Read 41843 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid (An Arms Race Game)
« Reply #375 on: December 18, 2017, 12:06:55 pm »

(1+1)... *facepalms*

I believe that we still need airforce. Period.

QS-03-Loki(b)
Loki(b) is an upgrade of Loki. It improves its performance in atmosphere by adding foldable wings. It adds an automated ventral turret with 50mm Mjolnir (like on Hrungnir), two 30mm Hayks (like on Doves) as secondary armament and internal munition bay that can host bombs or potential rockets\torpedoes\missiles. This new version can operate without ITC as long as it is staying close to a planet with friendly ground units. ( maybe... In this case part of support comes from army reducing SPP maintenance cost in exchange for GPP cost.)

It adds a tiny bit of punch in space (and good tools for dogfighting should they make their own small craft) and makes it actually good for supporting ground forces and destroying nukes.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:09:01 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 18, 2017, 01:21:21 pm »

Reasons why I think that revision above is good.

1) I want to have something to shoot down enemy nukes should they go for the space version. It won't be funny if we'll get better anti-laser armor only to see them going nukes. Ventral turret ar here for this reason

2) I want something to handle their own small crafts if this is what they chose to boost their navy. 150mm coilguns don't look good against nimble fighters especially with Athena that gives boost to evasion. If they designed their own Loki-Like with lasers and\or nukes we'll be screwed

3) I want to leave something over D should we win the space battle to not repeat disaster of this turn

4) I want something to destroy their ground nukes. I am very skeptical about huge effectiveness of stealth tanks and they may deliver another toy(s) to finish the job

5) It gives us useful experience for future small crafts
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 18, 2017, 01:31:46 pm »

Yeah, I agree with SP. We need atmospheric air superiority! Though I would specify how the bombs work and how they're aimed.

Quote from: Votebox
QS-03-Loki(b) (2) Strongpoint, SamSpeeds

Uhhh that was my first votebox from scratch EVER did I do it right?

Edit: Can we mount mirage plating on ITCs? Not suggesting we do just yet, but did the design make it possible?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:51:53 pm by SamSpeeds »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 18, 2017, 02:08:18 pm »

Though I would specify how the bombs work and how they're aimed.
I considered adding guidance system and even actual guided missiles but I think an automated turret and wings is already a lot for a revision so I am happy with old fashioned carpet bombing with assistance of whatever systems Loki already have. This is mostly a future thing for missiles we may develop later. Like going for AA system that fires missiles that can also go in Loki or designing missile craft with missiles that can be used by Loki.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 18, 2017, 02:32:42 pm »

Reasons why I think that revision above is good.

1) I want to have something to shoot down enemy nukes should they go for the space version. It won't be funny if we'll get better anti-laser armor only to see them going nukes. Ventral turret ar here for this reason

2) I want something to handle their own small crafts if this is what they chose to boost their navy. 150mm coilguns don't look good against nimble fighters especially with Athena that gives boost to evasion. If they designed their own Loki-Like with lasers and\or nukes we'll be screwed

3) I want to leave something over D should we win the space battle to not repeat disaster of this turn

4) I want something to destroy their ground nukes. I am very skeptical about huge effectiveness of stealth tanks and they may deliver another toy(s) to finish the job

5) It gives us useful experience for future small crafts

How is this going to shoot down nukes? How is this going to survive if the nukes lock onto it? And we do have the anti-laser metamaterials now, so we can armor the Loki's at no cost; if they ditch lasers, we already have anti-optics and somewhat anti-radar capabilities with it.

As for the Stealth Tanks, you were skeptical about the tanks in the first place, claiming that their lasers would tear them apart in spite of the countermeasures. The truth of the matter is, we can't be sure until we test them out. Also, if they bring an anti-stealth thing this turn, I will be very suspicious of foul play...

That said, you do have a point about small craft experience. But I don't think we can make the GPP/SPP cost variable. If it's a case of 'Yup, it can hurl itself into space. Can't do too much there, but it can' then yes, GPP. But a multi-role is going to cost SPP...

Anyway, onto my suggestion:

QS-OAS-04 'Muninn'
Named after Odin's raven of Memory, the Muninn Ordinance Avoidance System is a sub-system of the Huginn Ballistics Guidance System; but instead of aiming our weaponry, the Muninn is tasked with avoiding the enemies weaponry via plotting evasive course plotting, knowledge of the timing of the enemy's weapons and firing of engines timed to throw their aim off, and just generally learning from the enemy's aiming tendencies to avoid any new tricks up their sleeve.
Initially, our Muninn's will be taught in simulated combat, against simulacrums of what our best guess of the enemies ships are. Of course, the Muninn's in charge of our ships in the sims will be used for our systems.

For countering their nuke missiles, next turn do something like this as a potential design:
Make a car sized thing; it can deploy a tethered RADAR balloon, it has a fast turret with a tiny Mjolnir, the Mjolnir is guided by a Huginn. This car is meant to detect and destroy incoming missiles.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 18, 2017, 04:43:35 pm »

How is this going to shoot down nukes?
Their nukes look like chemical propelled and those are slow. I think it is possible to aim and shoot them down.

QS-OAS-04 'Muninn'
This is an attempt to copy their thing. I am not sure that I like this kind of reactive strategy. Furthermore it is one dimensional thing. We are not in position to improve only navy if we want to try to hold D. I am perfectly fine with losing battle over D, if the loss won't be severe enough to stop us fro bringing reinforcements. I think it is pointless to win battle over D if we'll lose the planet anyway. Why do you want stronger navy right now? What do you want to accomplish?

Make a car sized thing; it can deploy a tethered RADAR balloon, it has a fast turret with a tiny Mjolnir, the Mjolnir is guided by a Huginn. This car is meant to detect and destroy incoming missiles.
May be overly specialized for one task.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 18, 2017, 05:38:06 pm »

Their nukes look like chemical propelled and those are slow. I think it is possible to aim and shoot them down.
Missiles tend to have a much better mass to engine ratio than most aircraft, and I'd think not even our Apollo would be able to overcome that; that is, if they lock on to an atmospheric Loki, I don't think outrunning it would be a valid action. Better to make point defense, I would think. That, and the Loki's Huginn isn't as effective due to a lack of RADAR.

This is an attempt to copy their thing. I am not sure that I like this kind of reactive strategy. Furthermore it is one dimensional thing. We are not in position to improve only navy if we want to try to hold D. I am perfectly fine with losing battle over D, if the loss won't be severe enough to stop us fro bringing reinforcements. I think it is pointless to win battle over D if we'll lose the planet anyway. Why do you want stronger navy right now? What do you want to accomplish?
Firstly, this isn't copying their thing, we had Muninn in the works ever since we made Huginn.
Secondly, my purpose? To take and hold orbit. Heck, the better option for ground support, would be to revise iron-plated tungsten slugs for our Mjolnirs, to allow us to commence orbital bombardment. That way both our Loki's and Odin's could support the ground fight, and not to mention would help convince others to maintain orbit as all of a sudden, our fleet isn't just sitting around, doing nothing. (Yes, I know it isn't as simple as shooting down, but we have computers to do the math, do we not?)

May be overly specialized for one task.
Perhaps, but this was a very rough Proposal, not even on the drawing board yet, such a thing could easily be made to fill out scouting roles (attaching more sensors on the balloon), or as light Anti-Air (if it can target missiles, a larger, less maneuverable thing will be easy)

QS-04-Loki(b): (2) Strongpoint, SamSpeeds
QS-OAS-04 'Muninn': (1) Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 18, 2017, 05:42:31 pm »

That Muninn has the same name as previous muninn revisions, but the description has been changed to copy Ertex system. It is copying.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 18, 2017, 06:04:53 pm »

QS-MAMG-04 'Ullr'
In order to counter the missile threat, the Huginn system used in the Hrungnir tanks is equipped with a super-miniaturized coilgun in an RC mount on the roof. This coilgun is optimized for fast firing and fast tracking instead of raw power, and so uses an extremely small, roughly 6mm projectile. The radar is boosted in power and the Huginn system reprogrammed (slightly) to shoot down incoming missiles rather than taking hits. The system ALSO comes with a Patented Physics-Restoration Device, a book containing the laws of physics as we know them, to force the glowing craters to disappear.

QS-MAMG-04 'Ullr': (1) Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 18, 2017, 06:12:30 pm »

QS-MAMG-04 'Ullr': (2) Madman, Maximum Spin

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 18, 2017, 06:14:13 pm »

Well... Given the opposition towards making any evasive system because Ertex did it first, I suppose I'll switch votes..
QS-OAS-04 'Muninn':
QS-MAMG-04 'Ullr': (3) Madman, Maximum Spin, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 18, 2017, 06:19:55 pm »

I'm pro-evasion, but want the Ullr first.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 18, 2017, 06:50:45 pm »

Well... Given the opposition towards making any evasive system because Ertex did it first, I suppose I'll switch votes..
QS-OAS-04 'Muninn':
QS-MAMG-04 'Ullr': (3) Madman, Maximum Spin, Jilladilla

It's not that I don't want to evade things, it's that with stealth ships we shouldn't need evasion that much, and we also need to shoot down those blasted missiles if we ever want to win ground warfare.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 19, 2017, 10:52:29 am »

QS-OAS-04 'Muninn':
QS-MAMG-04 'Ullr': (4) Madman, Maximum Spin, Jilladilla, evilcherry

It's not that I don't want to evade things, it's that with stealth ships we shouldn't need evasion that much, and we also need to shoot down those blasted missiles if we ever want to win ground warfare.

Who would have thought of old-fashioned CIWS, which should also make a very good anti-infantry weapon?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 19, 2017, 05:53:01 pm »

QS-MAMG-04 'Ullr'
In order to counter the missile threat, the Huginn system used in the Hrungnir tanks is equipped with a super-miniaturized coilgun in an RC mount on the roof. This coilgun is optimized for fast firing and fast tracking instead of raw power, and so uses an extremely small, roughly 6mm projectile. The radar is boosted in power and the Huginn system reprogrammed (slightly) to shoot down incoming missiles rather than taking hits. The system ALSO comes with a Patented Physics-Restoration Device, a book containing the laws of physics as we know them, to force the glowing craters to disappear.
QS-MAMG-04 'Ullr' (Easy): (4+2)+1=7: Superior Craftsmanship
The Ullr system is a simple addition to the Hrungnir, or any other vehicle, and serves ably as CIWS, shooting down incoming missiles, or nearby troops (and can recognise the difference between friendlies and enemies). There's not much to say; it just works real well.
Oh, and physics is restored. Sarissa missiles now have a 100m kill radius.

It is now the Strategy Phase of SY104.

Spoiler: Tech List (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Observed enemy tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Production (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:21:25 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 39