Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39

Author Topic: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid - Strategy SY108  (Read 41847 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid (An Arms Race Game)
« Reply #345 on: December 14, 2017, 01:26:35 pm »

I had a lengthy reply typed up and I lost it to an internet crash. One of these days I'll remember to actually use Notepad for this instead.

Ah well. Suffice to say I believe a mech has too many problems to be immediately as effective as the Hrungnir, and that I believe the best use of next turn's design is making the Odin invisible (Mostly invisible) to radar. Now, this DOES mean that it would have to make use of passive detection methods as well, which means it's probably going to be reliant on their own radar devices to detect them, which means we're going to have to install some means of alternative detection. Their trails of superheated steam ought to be detectable, though, in infrared.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 15, 2017, 05:38:33 am »

It is the start of SY104
Link to Battle Report for SY103

Whose design shall be chosen? A spartan product of Brave? A luxurious design of New Dawn? Or something smuggled out of the armoury of Ark?

It is now the Design Phase of SY104

Spoiler: Tech List (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Observed enemy tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Production (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Map (click to show/hide)
Long Live United Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 15, 2017, 10:30:40 am »

It was a good decision to pull Odins out, right? Also, we got a proof that they can't counter our tank.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 15, 2017, 12:07:12 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we can upgrade our ships with OM2 this turn without spending a design? If so, we should consider doing so. There's obviously the downside of letting the enemy know our new tech whilst it's not exactly perfect, but I think we should take this turns RnD to address more pressing issues. First off, we need to deal with those trucks of theirs. We could do so perhaps by designing a more ambitious and powerful ground radar, or make some planetside bombers and gain planetside air superiority as well.
Strongpoint had a design that was pretty swell, but the requirement for ground infrastructure could make it hard to deploy on D, since we are just getting ground into the dirt there. Also, our long range combat deficiency is a bit annoying. We could fix it by making a better, aim assisting Hayk variant, a dedicated long range laser rifle, or...

QS-JP-04 'Leaper'

The Leaper is an infantry jetpack. It can be strapped to the figure with steel mounts over the shoulders and around the midsection, or bolted onto a X100 series space suit. It has 2 booster thrusters (larger) and 8 maneuvering thrusters (much smaller, positioned in pairs facing diagonally outward), all downsized and appropriately powered so as to not annihilate the wearer during acceleration. It carries a fuel supply enough for about 5 minutes of sustained flight (the Apollo is super efficient, right?). For shape, think them Mandalorian jetpacks, but bulkier and with more thrusters. The pack itself is equipped with an electronics system built into the metal. Flight is activated and controlled by a electronic woven metal gauntlet. The rockets fire when the user runs his/her thumb across the tips of their digits from pinky to index. Once the rockets are online and the user is in the air, the direction of travel is determined by the orientation and distance from the pack of the gauntlet. For example, a user would travel in a forward direction by facing his gauntleted arm forward, and extend or retract it to increase or decrease speed. The main thrusters will shut off when the activation ritual is repeated or the user touches the ground (determined automatically by built in sensors).

I think improving our mobility will help us close the distance to the enemy so our weapons are more effective, plus make capturing difficult terrain planets all around easier! Yeehaw!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:11:02 pm by SamSpeeds »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 15, 2017, 01:09:18 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we can upgrade our ships with OM2 this turn without spending a design?
You are corrected. You could use a revision to put OM2 on your ships, and that may be trivial, but it ain't free. You can't just bolt it on, after all.
Long Live United Forenia!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 15, 2017, 02:08:24 pm »

QS-QDF-04 Quantum Damping Field
After Ertex took the unthinkable step and brought back nuclear combat, we started digging around in old historical documents pertaining to the nuclear disarmament treaties of the 22nd and 23rd centuries Earth Reckoning. One of the more interesting items our search turned up was a plan for a defensive implementation of certain consequences of the then-in-development Unified Quantum Field Theory, which, had it been completed, would have rendered nuclear weapons moot – but its development stalled and it was eventually rendered moot itself when nuclear warfare was abandoned. Now, though, our understanding of physics has advanced enough that we can fill in the gaps and perfect the Quantum Damping Field, a device which manipulates the strong and weak nuclear forces within a certain radius such that high-level harmonics in the bound gluon standing wave equation decay exponentially due to destructive interference, making both nuclear fission and fusion (as well as, theoretically, antimatter annihilation) forbidden transitions in the quantum state matrix. As a result, any nuclear device that enters the damping field will simply fall harmlessly dead, permanently unable to enter a critical state and so unable to detonate.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 15, 2017, 02:13:02 pm »

Right. Design. I think, we need to finish up the Optical Metamaterials, it's more than a laser defense, it's a stealth system as well! I've explicitly added in adapting it for use on our current equipment in this proposal (as we'd need to revise our current equipment to utilize it anyway, and if we're spending a design on this, why not?)

And besides, their nukes aren't that great in area of effect; they can't just fire them blindly and hope to hit us.
Please note: Design Goals are to 1) Expand the range of things we can be invisible to, and 2) Let us equip our vehicles and ships with it.

QS-OM3-04 'Mirage Plating'
The OM2, a technology that holds a lot of potential in our endeavors against the ecological desecration of Ertex; namely as a way to get equipment into position to take out Ertexan artillery undetected as well as shielding us from their lasers.

Of course, further development is needed to field this, the technology just needs one final push. And with this, the OM3 'Mirage Plating', we believe we've done it. Most of the effort is to be put into increasing the range of wavelengths the OM3 can be 'invisible' to, while the power costs are annoying, we've decided that they are manageable. The rest of the effort is made to come up with a material that can be easily plated onto our current equipment: The Hrungnir, Loki and Odin, as well as any future equipment we come up with.

With the OM3, Ertex will never know what hit them.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 15, 2017, 02:57:28 pm »

QS-FF-04 Vedrfolnir
Vedrfolnrnr is an aerodynamic aircraft that looks like slick Hrungnir with wings. It is powered by a Stardust reactor. It is coated by a state of the art coating that gives it stealth both against radars and against naked eye. Additionally if offer some anti-laser protection. It is propulsed by Apollo thruster It comes with an onboard radar and targeting computer. It is armed with a 50mm Mjolnir (Same as ones used on Hrungnirs), two 30mm Hayks (same as ones used on Doves) and has an internal bay that can house different munitions, currently only basic unguided bombs and rockets. They can be used both from ITCs and ground bases. (Has mixed SPP\GPP cost when produced. Has additional(maintenance) GPP cost when deployed to a planet, has additional SSP cost when deployed on ITC or another carrier)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:21:15 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 15, 2017, 04:56:40 pm »

Desperation. Wish I had thought of nuclear weapons. Kinda surprised they can bust a tank open, RIP us I guess. Especially at those ranges. Nothing to do now but deploy the metamaterials and make them cry.

QS-OMC-04 'Aesir'
A modification of the Odin to incorporate a radar metamaterial stealth layer (Painted black for visual stealth as well). The Huginn FC system is slightly reconfigured to extrapolate target locations from their own radar pings. The radar system is likewise slightly modified to report the locations of a radar-wave source. The biggest change is another upgrade to the metamaterial itself, which makes it a true metamaterial capable of redirecting 100% of light, hopefully across a wide band of commonly-used (for radar) radio frequencies.

And then we can follow up with either a revision to the Loki, or a revision to the tanks, or an infantry revision.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 16, 2017, 03:38:04 am »

We have an option of abandoning D. What will happen with the unit there should we lose the planet? We'll get it back with one turn delay?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 16, 2017, 04:00:55 am »

Civilian design #1
Ship. When you hear the word you imagine one of glorious vessels of our glorious space navy. We, in our company, think about an actual seagoing ship. Meet our new line of ships that will revolutionize travel on both Quillus and (C)inarus. Powered by our new trademarketed fusion reactor Starlight (which is far superior to stardust), made with efficient large scale 3d printing using many new materials including a revolutionary lighter than water alloy, controlled by an automated system that need only few crewmen for supervision.

Civilian design #2
Do you need to deliver bulk cargo to the orbit? We offer you a solution that is better than ancient chemical rockets, low power shuttles or expensive Apollo powered vessels. We will shoot whatever you need into the lower orbit using a modified, enlarged Mjolnir. Put your material in our container, tell where your space tug will pick up it, and we'll deliver it there faster than a blink of eye. If you want to build an artificial moon on orbit of Quillus, we are the guys who will bring the rocks there!

I ask everyone to not comment how bad\inefficient\unnecessary are those. After all, those are not for voting.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 16, 2017, 08:48:28 pm »

Except if we DO tell you the errors present, you might be able to submit better design suggestions. That's a self-defeating request.

Alright, let's do this. Overkilling the Odin metamaterials revision with a design ensures success, and also allows us some more material-improvement wiggle room.

Quote from: Votebox
QS-OMC-04 'Aesir': (1) Madman

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 16, 2017, 09:15:14 pm »

Overall agree with you Madman, but well, I have my reasons.

Quote from: Votebox
QS-OMC-04 'Aesir': (1) Madman
QS-OM3-03 'Mirage Plating': (1) Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 16, 2017, 10:43:04 pm »

It's probably the lateness of the time, but does your proposal actually attempt to mount the proposed plating onto anything? Cause if not, that's going to be an issue if, I dunno, we get a bad roll for the revision for a change (Looking at you, Orion/Artemis/Hayk) and then have to send the Odins back out (Or worse, not send them out) without the plating.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 17, 2017, 04:38:59 am »

voting for jilladilla's design for once, i can't always vote for madman's
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39