Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 39

Author Topic: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid - Strategy SY108  (Read 41856 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid (An Arms Race Game)
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2017, 01:09:33 pm »

We must place our faith on the Hrungni whatever it means. Tanks are always a game changer - even if it can be damaged by extended small arms fire our men would have killed them before that.

Update all ships with latest tech/mod
Upgrade 1 ITC with dove (-1SPP)

Build 4 units worth of Hrungnis (-16SPP)
Transport 1 unit worth of Hrungni and dove to D
Tell remaining 3 units to do exercises

Invade D with Dove-enabled ITC and normal ITC
Invade G with normal ITC

1 Odin above G
Everything else above D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:11:39 pm by evilcherry »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2017, 01:46:34 pm »

Tell remaining 3 units to do exercises
That's not a valid action, FYI.
Long Live United Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2017, 02:53:47 pm »

Invade G with normal ITC
It will have some trouble invading it alone... without units to transport.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 07, 2017, 09:30:19 pm »

Quote from: Warhawk
Disassemble: -
Space Construction: 1 set of Doves
Ground Construction: 1 set of Hrungnir MBTs
Refit: 3 Odins, with Huginn computing systems

Group One:
   Destination: D, deploy Hrungnirs and grenade launchers to the troops on the surface. Odins and Lokis are ordered to kill anything that twitches funny, unless it's one of ours.
3 Odins (Odin, Thought, Memory)
1 ITC from Quillus
---4 Lokis (2TP)
1 ITC from Quillus
---Doves
---1 Hrungnir (3TP)

Group Three:
    Destination: C
1 ITC from F

Quote from: Votebox
Plan Warhawk: (1) Madman

Let's start voting, and can somebody who's not me check this plan and make sure it makes sense?
EDIT:
After vigorous removal of the parts that didn't make sense (Which amounted to almost half the plan, heh. Thanks to Nemonole for that), Warhawk should be good. Probably.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:39:34 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 08, 2017, 02:15:59 am »

I am absolutely sure that odin is better than ITC + 2 Loki for the space combat.
Also, are we sure that pulling unit from C is a good idea?
Also, if we are serious about D, we need an option to design and deliver new ground equipment next turn. Or send tanks to A

Warhawk looks very suboptimal to me

Plan decisive battle over D (1) strongpoint
Plan Warhawk: (1) Madman

4th Odin can make the difference between the victory and defeat and if we'll control orbit I want to design new ground equipment and send it to D immediately.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:04:01 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 08, 2017, 10:48:47 am »

Strongpoint, we WILL need to move that unit from C next turn. We NEED more guys on the frontlines. Having the transport there simply means we can pick them up and move them simultaneously.

I am very sure that the ITC + FOUR Lokis is better than an ITC + 2 Lokis, and we don't need another Odin. Building one kills our transport capacity. We're going to need to start shipping tanks back and forth across the frontlines now, we can't really afford for our fleet to be 80% warships and leave our ground troops at the mercy of the enemy's ground forces.

I am ALSO certain that 3 Odins capable of shooting out to long-range with these excellent firing computers will be capable of resisting their fleet, which might not show up at D---they're winning, they probably feel a need to hit A instead.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 08, 2017, 11:45:25 am »

Strongpoint, we WILL need to move that unit from C next turn.
Are you even sure that we'll need to pull out unit from C? Are you sure that it will be conquered and we'll need no one more turn of them there before we get resources? Are you sure that pulling it out is a good idea leaving it open to possible invasion after possible fleet defeat on D? Are you sure that delivering equipment to a unit is less impactful then adding one unit without equipment

I am very sure that the ITC + FOUR Lokis is better than an ITC + 2 Lokis, and we don't need another Odin.
Lokis weren't good in the first fight. Our choice is either two ITC+Four Lokis or 1 ICT+2Lokis+Odin. I am sure that the second option is far stronger.

I am ALSO certain that 3 Odins capable of shooting out to long-range with these excellent firing computers will be capable of resisting their fleet, which might not show up at D---they're winning, they probably feel a need to hit A instead.
We weren't really ahead in the space fight. Yep, we got a nice design but we know absolutely nothing about their designs\revisions. Are you willing to gamble that they didn't went for something like 1 design 2 revisions buffing space and one design for a ground vehicle.
Also, are they idiots to not reinforce D and give us a chance to turn the tide on the key planet?

We're going to need to start shipping tanks back and forth across the frontlines now
Tanks on D will stay on D for a long time. You want transport to move to C where there are no tanks to pick up...

we can't really afford for our fleet to be 80% warships and leave our ground troops at the mercy of the enemy's ground forces.
two ITC is enough for troop movements. If not - we can build new one as soon as we get boost from C or lose some warships in combat.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 08, 2017, 11:56:37 am »

Plan Warhawk: (2) Madman, Maximum Spin

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 08, 2017, 11:58:07 am »

OK, um, that first part is a GM question if you don't believe me, but once the planet is at 6/6 it's considered captured and we receive the first resources the next turn (According to standard AR rules). We don't need troops there, not when we could use them to reinforce D quite easily.

It is stronger, yes, but it's not necessarily more effective, which goes to the next couple of points about how we need the ability to move vehicles and units, which requires lots of transports, which either I wasn't clear on or you outright intentionally misinterpreted. We need to move the C unit immediately so it's not sitting idle while the frontline is being decided---we want the frontline to be on THEIR side of the midway point if at all possible.

I think we are far, FAR better off maintaining our logistics capability.

In addition, please remember that our warships are entirely superior to theirs. We have FAR better armor, more powerful guns, and almost equal speed. In addition, we now have the capability to hit with those guns at longer ranges than we used to. They might very well have deployed a new ship, but honestly, there's only so much they can do unless they branch out and get a whole new set of technologies (i.e., railguns/coilguns/something that can damage ceramics better), which will likely be inferior to ours anyway.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 08, 2017, 02:40:10 pm »

Strongpoint, we calculated this, we're only moving the ITC at F to C, we're not picking them up now, just getting the ITC in place to re-route them to D next turn. Even with tanks, we'll still need that unit at D to get rid of the massive disadvantage of 'they outnumber us 2 to 1'. Yes, they won't have tanks, yes they won't have Fog Machines, but they do still have Hayk's, which are comparable to their laser rifles. (If you don't believe me, look at A, it appears to be 2 Units vs 2 Units there, and we stalemated this last turn).

That, and all the plans only involve making 1 Dove, so we can only ship out one units worth of tanks this turn anyway..
Still, you do raise a point with them likely moving on D to secure those resources... Still, if they made a laser tank, I'd bet the Hrungnir would be able to work it over, what with its anti-laser defenses. And yes, even if it isn't optimized against infantry, it can still serve as a mobile wall for our guys to hide behind until medium range, where our Hayks outclass their lasers.

Quote from: Votebox
Plan Warhawk: (3) Madman, Maximum Spin, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 08, 2017, 03:10:40 pm »

If they made a halfway decent tank I expect nothing but a massacre on D. Their tank can ignore explosive bullets our tanks can't ignore infantry lasers.

Our hope is they either didn't make a tank or it will fail to land. That is why I prefer 4th odin to increase our chances for orbital victory.

I did forget about Dove in my second plan but I didn't even vote for it. As for the next turn - we can make more doves.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2017, 03:13:22 pm »

But, what? Why can their tank ignore explosive bullets? Why CAN'T our advanced-armored tank ignore their lasers?

Why will our tanks be reliant on said explosive bullets? Our tanks fight theirs, not our infantry. Also, if they hold true to form (Lightweight vehicles with lasers) we're probably going to slaughter them even with infantry weapons.

But we will see, I suppose. No way to know before it happens.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2017, 04:55:31 pm »

I agree with madman here. Our tank is a work of art.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 09, 2017, 06:04:19 am »

A laser tank = overkill against infantry.
This is the sole reason why the US didn't adopt the 17lber on Shermans.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 09, 2017, 08:37:12 am »

No, no it's not.

The 17lb gun made the turret very, VERY cramped and made it hard to operate. It had a terrible rate of fire because of those conditions.

In addition, the British DID use that gun, but A. It wasn't an American gun and so the Americans didn't make tanks with it and B. THEY DIDN'T NEED IT. The Allies left the long-barrel 75/76mm Shermans back in Britain because they didn't need them on the Western Front. As far as I remember, there was a grand total of 5 or 6 Tiger kills on the Western Front in the whole of the war, and maybe, maybe a handful of Panthers. All the heavy German armor was in the East, so Britain, the US, Canada, etc. all deployed the easier-to-maintain and more plentiful short-barrel 75 Shermans.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 39