Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39

Author Topic: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid - Strategy SY108  (Read 41915 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid (An Arms Race Game)
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2017, 09:14:23 am »

Right, my proposal, not my best work (lack of sleep is to blame I think), but it gets the point across. Really, mostly a switch to Niobium-Tin as the superconductor (It is the planned superconductor for the magnets of some fancy multi-national fusion reactor, so it has merit), and moving to liquid helium coolant (This is needed for the Niobium-Tin, liquid nitrogen isn't going to cut it)

QS-CPP-96 'Stardust' (better name requested?)
The QS-CPP-95 was a mess, but it taught us valuable lessons, and so we will incorporate them into the 'Stardust', a continuation of our efforts in Fusion technology. It's mostly the same as the 'Beacon' really, just with some major renovations to materials used and some adjustments to the alignment of the magnets.

For the renovations, first the cooling systems are redesigned from the ground up, to fix the leakage. Secondly, the coolant for the superconductors is replaced with the much colder liquid helium. Said liquid helium is necessary for the third major renovation; a change to Niobium-tin for the superconducting material, as its superconductivity doesn't suffer a critical existence failure in the presence of sufficiently strong magnetic fields (Or rather, it does, but it's massively more resilient to them; enough to be sufficient for our purposes).

EDIT: Well, might as well kickstart the votebox?
Quote from: Votebox
Tidal Tokamak Fusion Reactor
QS-CPP-96 'Stardust': (1) Jilladilla
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:36:24 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2017, 12:22:34 pm »

Tidal Tokamak Fusion Reactor: (1) Talion
QS-CPP-96 'Stardust': (1) Jilladilla

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2017, 12:45:12 pm »

QS-CPP-96 'Stardust': (2) Jilladilla, SHadowclaw

The reason I don't prefer a tidal fusion reactor is because it will be way more difficult to incorporate the design into a spaceship reactor

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2017, 04:33:52 pm »

QS-CPP-96 'Stardust': (3) Jilladilla, Shadowclaw, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2017, 04:49:54 pm »

QS-CPP-96 'Stardust' (better name requested?)
The QS-CPP-95 was a mess, but it taught us valuable lessons, and so we will incorporate them into the 'Stardust', a continuation of our efforts in Fusion technology. It's mostly the same as the 'Beacon' really, just with some major renovations to materials used and some adjustments to the alignment of the magnets.

For the renovations, first the cooling systems are redesigned from the ground up, to fix the leakage. Secondly, the coolant for the superconductors is replaced with the much colder liquid helium. Said liquid helium is necessary for the third major renovation; a change to Niobium-tin for the superconducting material, as its superconductivity doesn't suffer a critical existence failure in the presence of sufficiently strong magnetic fields (Or rather, it does, but it's massively more resilient to them; enough to be sufficient for our purposes).
QS-CPP-96 'Stardust' (Easy): (4+2)+1=7: Superior Craftsmanship
The Beacon was not a complete failure. We learnt a lot building it, and this second attempt has gone a lot better.
The Stardust reactor features substantially chillier magnets, which can produce substantially stronger magnetic fields, and more stable and accurate ones to boot. Net result: the plasma no longer leaks, and is denser and hotter than before. Once up and running, the amount of energy we need to put in to keep the plasma at the right temperature becomes almost (but not quite) nothing- we're talking a Q of almost 100. We can sustain this reaction all-but indefinitely too, meaning the Stardust is an efficient and reliable source of power.
Our entire capital is now powered by Stardust, and civilian power producers are looking into building their own copies of the device. Owners of fission reactors are kicking themselves, as their value plummets in expectation of cheap fusion power flooding the market.

Our production capacity has increased; we now have 2 extra GPP and 1 extra SPP to play with.

It is now the revision phase of SY96.
Long Live United Forenia!

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2017, 12:39:36 am »

That's a fantastic result, worth the last turn of semi-fails. This is going to scale so fucking well and I tip my water-pool to those who thought of it.

We need to create a spaceship weapon. Since we have stronger magnetic fields I believe we should start working on throwing projectiles using magnets. Hopefully we get some beginnings of a rail-gun sometime next turn.

Or maybe we should make a ship version of the Stardust Powerplant?

yeah

Make a small enough version of the Stardust for our Starships.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2017, 04:26:53 am »

Well, here's something for the next step in the plan; metal 3D Printing. Do feel free to point out any flaws or necessary additions to the proposal, ok?

QS-PMP-96 'Auto-Forge'
While the wonders of 3D-Printing are great, the fact that what they forge must be made of plastic limits the capabilities of this. As such, work on the Precision Metal Printer, the 'Auto-Forge' will commence to rectify this.

The Auto-Forge works with metal that's on the brink of melting, allowing it to be malleable in application, but able to rapidly solidify once it leaves its heated storage tank. While the process of application and waiting for the layer to cool enough for the next layer to be applied will likely proceed slowly when compared to standard 3D-Printing, the enhanced quality of the material the products are made from will more than make up for it.

Tentatively adding my vote to this for now; unless someone comes and tells me that I'm being an idiot or brings a much better suggestion.
Small Stardust Reactor: (1) Thanatos
QS-PMP-96 'Auto-Forge': (1) Jilladilla
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:31:11 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2017, 04:44:38 am »

Small Stardust Reactor: (0)
QS-PMP-96 'Auto-Forge': (2) Jilladilla, Thanatos

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2017, 07:39:34 am »

Small Stardust Reactor: (0)
QS-PMP-96 'Auto-Forge': (3) Jilladilla, Thanatos, Shadowclaw

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2017, 07:50:59 am »

QS-PMP-96 'Auto-Forge'
While the wonders of 3D-Printing are great, the fact that what they forge must be made of plastic limits the capabilities of this. As such, work on the Precision Metal Printer, the 'Auto-Forge' will commence to rectify this.

The Auto-Forge works with metal that's on the brink of melting, allowing it to be malleable in application, but able to rapidly solidify once it leaves its heated storage tank. While the process of application and waiting for the layer to cool enough for the next layer to be applied will likely proceed slowly when compared to standard 3D-Printing, the enhanced quality of the material the products are made from will more than make up for it.
QS-PMP-96 'Auto-Forge' (Normal): (2+3)=5: Average
Yup, that's a 3D printer that prints metal, alright. Accuracy isn't amazing, but basic quality-control lets us reject any pieces that aren't up to scratch, to be melted down and reused.

The future is bright, illuminated as it is by Stardust.
Planning for the D Mission continues. A team of scientists have been chosen to accompany the expedition, following fierce competition- everyone wants to be the first to catalogue the alien planet. Concerns about the safety of the brightest minds of our generation mean that funding for weapons development remains as high as ever.
It is now the design phase of SY97. Quillus is counting on you!

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2017, 11:46:59 am »

NICE!!

Replicator a la Star Trek]

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2017, 12:32:40 pm »

This turn would be a good turn to pick up the ship weapon. That still leaves us another turn to fix it if things go terribly before we have to put it on a ship. Designing a ship thruster has also been suggested but we can at least make do with chemical thrusters if they fall through. Personally, I think an armouring material would be a nice thing to get ahead on, but I'm not sure we have time.

KhazintheDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2017, 12:41:53 pm »

So I had two different ship drive designs written up and Bay doesn't save shit when it decides that you've been logged in for an hour and need to religious. Despite logging in only 20 minutes ago.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2017, 12:48:26 pm »

So I had two different ship drive designs written up and Bay doesn't save shit when it decides that you've been logged in for an hour and need to religious. Despite logging in only 20 minutes ago.
Ah. My condolences. I considered running this game on SB, but, well... I'm more used to B12. :/

I'll admit that being used to B12 means I will usually save any long or intricate post to a text file every now and then.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2017, 12:49:20 pm »

I'll state this since you are having the problems with losing written progress when you use Bay12. My recommendation is use something like GoogleDocs or such that saves your progress as you write, I understand that it might be easier to just write something up in bay12 but you run the risk of it forgetting, the most simple process is to use GoogleDocs write your post and than copy and paste it as a Bay12 post.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39