Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 39

Author Topic: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid - Strategy SY108  (Read 41832 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid (An Arms Race Game)
« Reply #390 on: December 19, 2017, 08:32:40 pm »

Right, we have 3 units and an ITC on A, they have 1 unit. Their armor helps, but I don't think it's enough to overturn a 2-to-1 odds scenario (Like our Hrungnir was)

So, we move one of those units off of A and to D, and we ship in a new battalion of Stealth Hrungnir's with Ullr's for them. That way, we have 2 units with Tanks (one stealthy + CIWS capable) vs their 2 units with at least one nuke launcher truck. This should be a much better matchup, especially as despite them having twice the men and nuke launchers, they only managed to push us back 1 territory.
We'd keep stalemating on F, but we can hold there for a little bit.

We have enough spare SPP to Mirage Plate all of our Odins, without compromising fleet strength, and buy another Loki (1 Loki, for 0.5 SPP)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 19, 2017, 09:01:02 pm »

and buy another Loki (1 Loki, for 0.5 SPP)
Lokis need transport, we have only one at Quillus, 3TC will be used for tanks. We can transport only 2 Lokis.

To use all SSP we need to go for 2 upgraded Odins (7SPP), 4 transports, (8SPP) dove (1SPP), and 8 Lokis (4SPP)

My preferred way is to use 2 upgraded Odins(7SPP), 2 unupgraded Odins(6SPP), 3 transports (6SPP), Dove (1 SPP) and ditch Lokis completely because building a transport just for Lokis seems ineffective

Another choice is 3 upgraded Odins(10.5SPP), 3 transports (6SPP), Dove(1SPP) 2 Lokis (1SPP), and 1.5SPP unused

One of reasons I wanted to upgrade Lokis is to change the situation above to either justify building transports only for Lokis or make them noticeably more expensive and have less unspent SSP on the last option.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:14:35 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 19, 2017, 09:35:39 pm »

I don't believe we have the transport capacity to bring more than 2 Lokis, and we do already have 2 at Quillus, right? Well, technically we have four, but two of those were just reconstructed and we can instantly deconstruct them and reuse the SPP.

Quote from: Plan Counter-:WarCrimes:
Recycle at Quillus:
2 Lokis

Group 1, moving from Quillus to Planet D:
3 Odin-class (9 SPP)
---Mirage Plating (1.5 SPP)
---Ullr MAMG
1 ITC (2 SPP)
---Ullr MAMG
---Doves (1 SPP)
---2 Lokis (1 TP, 1 SPP)
   +++Mirage Plating
---1 set of Hrungnir MBTs (4 GPP)
   +++Mirage Plating (1 GPP)
   +++Ullr MAMG
Total: 14.5 SPP, 5 GPP

Group 2, moving from Planet A to Planet D:
1 ITC (2 SPP)
---1 Unit from A
Total: 2 SPP

Group 3, moving from Planet F to Quillus:
1 ITC (2 SPP)

Grand Totals: 18.5 SPP, 9 GPP (1 Hrungnir deployed in the field and not being moved)

I don't think there's any serious issues with this plan as it stands. We have two transports out in the field (One over F, one over A) and so we cannot recycle any transports. We *could* recycle all our Lokis, but we'd still have SPP unused, which would suck. Instead, what we can do is bring the Lokis out into the field. If they survive the battle (Or, you know, if there is no battle) they can play transport-interdiction for the next turn or so. Also, they're 90% invisible and armed with coilguns, which probably makes them 90% indestructible for any Ertexite fleet, just because they can get close enough that "point and shoot" is a viable coilgun tactic, instead of doing tedious math.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:24:12 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 20, 2017, 02:21:47 am »

I am voting for Plan Counter by war crimes.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 20, 2017, 02:25:12 am »

Absolutely concur.
Quote from: votebox
Plan WarCrimes, the Only Plan You'll Need: (2) Thanatos Russ, Maximum Spin

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 20, 2017, 04:58:32 am »

Concur besides I would argue for the installation of Ullr on every ship. Because, you know, CIWS is serious business.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 20, 2017, 06:37:56 am »

Quote from: Plan USE SPP
Group 1, moving from Quillus to Planet D:
2 Odin Class (6 SPP)
2 Odin-class (6 SPP)
---Mirage Plating (1 SPP)
1 ITC (2 SPP)
---Doves (1 SPP)
---1 set of Hrungnir MBTs (4 GPP)
   +++Mirage Plating (1 GPP)
   +++Ullr MAMG
Total: 14.5 SPP, 5 GPP

Group 2, moving from Planet A to Planet D:
1 ITC (2 SPP)
---1 Unit from A

Group 3, moving from Planet F to Quillus:
1 ITC (2 SPP)

Wasting SSP is too inefficient
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 20, 2017, 09:49:45 am »

Concur besides I would argue for the installation of Ullr on every ship. Because, you know, CIWS is serious business.
That is impossible. Also useless. The enemy uses *lasers* (though missiles can't be far behind) and we didn't make the Ullr MAMG to be fitted to the Odins. It'll be a Trivial revision, I suspect, but it's still going to take another action. Speaking of which, we need something else to shove in such a revision, so we don't have to burn an entire revision to fit point-defense onto an Odin.

Plan Counter-:WarCrimes:: (3) Thanatos Russ, Maximum Spin, Madman
Plan USE SPP: (1) strongpoint

Strongpoint, I assumed you'd be voting for your own plan.

Also, Spin, get the name right! We're not committing war crimes, THEY are, therefore we are COUNTERING those :WarCrimes: with some counter-:warcrimes:.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 20, 2017, 10:10:59 am »

That is impossible. Also useless. The enemy uses *lasers* (though missiles can't be far behind) and we didn't make the Ullr MAMG to be fitted to the Odins. It'll be a Trivial revision, I suspect, but it's still going to take another action. Speaking of which, we need something else to shove in such a revision, so we don't have to burn an entire revision to fit point-defense onto an Odin.

The revision write up said that it could be fixed to the Hrungnir or "any other vehicle" does that not include spaceborn vessels?

Plan Counter-:WarCrimes:: (4) Thanatos Russ, Maximum Spin, Madman, SamSpeeds
Plan USE SPP: (1) strongpoint,

I was in favor of Strongpoint's plan for a bit in my head, but Madman's involves a fully OM3 clad force, which could be a Big Huge Win! Plus I wanna see how the Loki's fare. Maybe they'll be able to not get obliterated almost instantly this time.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 20, 2017, 10:23:40 am »

I don't recall specifically mentioning it being fit to any other vehicles at all....it's a bit early in the morning, I guess. Ah, I see. I had missed that line in the revision rolls post.

OK, confirmed it with NUKE: They can be added to anything and cost nothing. Going to go add them to the plan. Strongpoint, you probably should do the same with your plan (More railguns makes everything better, after all).

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 20, 2017, 11:10:03 am »

We could mount them on ITC's? If not we should consider spending a design to make ITC's weapon compatible so we avoid that "ITC vs ITC encounter where no one does anything" thing again.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 20, 2017, 11:11:46 am »

We can mount them on ITCs, and the revised plan already does.

Of course, I doubt they'll be very USEFUL as an anti-ship weapon (I mean, an unarmored/very-lightly-armored fighter would probably feel the hurt from the things if it got close), but they should stop the inevitable nukes-in-space from hurting us too much, though ITCs might not have the radar to use them, it's not mentioned.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 21, 2017, 03:09:20 pm »

It is the start of SY105
Link to Battle Report for SY104

The Lesser Incompetent Quillian Mudfish, a species so ineffectual that its survival thusfar is a true miracle, has gone extinct. The head of the LIQM Protection Agency has been arrested, and faces seven consecutive life imprisonments.

It is now the Design Phase of SY105

Spoiler: Tech List (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Observed enemy tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Production (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Map (click to show/hide)
Long Live United Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 21, 2017, 04:10:03 pm »

Wow. That clash over D. I was way, way, way too pessimistic

I won't be me if I'll not offer yet another version of fighter, right? :)

Vedrfolnir FF QS-05
Vedfrolnir is a fighter about of size Loki inheriting most of its internal systems. It is armed with slightly smaller 120mm Mjolnir and ventral turret with 50mm Mjolnir and several Ulirs. Also, it has 4 mounts on wings, currently the only options are 30mm hayks, dumb fire space torpedoes and plain free falling bombs.. Yes, Vedfrolnir has wings and an aerodynamic shape and wings. Instead of one Apollo thruster like on Loki, it has two smaller Apollo thrusters giving it more control over direction of thrust. Vedfronir can operate both from planets (its engines can reach escape velocity, the only problem is slight degradation of metamaterials armor after each reentry) and from ITCs. Vedfronir is navy's ship and operated and supplied by navy pilots even when supporting ground forces.

I want this to replace Loki and act as a garrison space crafts against attempts to sneak a single ITC here and there. I expect them to go panic mode for new spacecraft, we should answer with the same. And, yep, I tried to eliminate stuff people disliked in my past designs. But this is probably not material for this turn because we need a ground design.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:19:56 pm by Strongpoint »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 21, 2017, 04:50:54 pm »

I need to actually get around to writing an entire culture for us, otherwise "don't pollute the environment at large" is going to remain "AAAAAHHHHHHH PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT"....

Anyways, for a design, how about some power armor?

QS-PIA-05 'Heimdallr'
Named for the Norse god of vigilance and the night guard of Asgard, Heimdallr is our first foray into Powered Infantry Armor. The armor itself is Mirage Plated ceramic with a titanium under-layer with Faraday shielding, constructed so that, like Gothic plate armor, it supports its own weight when at rest. Under the armor is an insulated, temperature-controlled pressure suit. A web of pressure sensors in strategic parts of the pressure suit allows the user to actuate electric motors that power the joints. The hands are not motorized. The motors themselves are powered through the use of a battery-backpack, using a much improved Eitr battery that now does not explode. Also in the backpack is the computer system for the HUD. The armor plate covering the eyes can be slid up, revealing a (heavily tinted to reduce laser damage as much as possible) ballistics-glass visor, should the HUD system (visual data provided by two cameras on either side of the helmet, one in visible light and one in IR) fail. The armor's battery and computer systems are more powerful than necessary, to accommodate later improvements. A small radio built into the helmet and connected to the computer package and an IFF transponder complete the set.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:20:35 pm by Madman198237 »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 39