Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39

Author Topic: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid - Strategy SY108  (Read 41845 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Quillus Design Bureau - Battle for Aljadid (An Arms Race Game)
« Reply #330 on: December 12, 2017, 04:36:31 pm »

It's important to keep in mind that, by any sensible metric, we are currently winning. If now isn't the time to play the long game, when is? We can't just throw all our resources against the wall to see what sticks because that's a great way to not be winning anymore.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 12, 2017, 04:56:27 pm »

we are currently winning.
Yep, but by how much?

Lets see... We control 6\6 on C, they control 6\6 on E
We both control 1\6 of A
We control 4\6 of F
They control 4\6 of D , we control 2\6 of D

we are ahead by 2\6 of a planet. It is a small advantage that can be easily lost by doing such slow turns as this one.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 12, 2017, 05:35:14 pm »

In terms of tech, we have better ships with better radar and better weaponry (by most metrics). We have a ground vehicle that will likely take them multiple turns to counter (hopefully). While I don't personally support the investment in super duper light reflecto tech this turn (but I wasn't actually in touch enough to suggest an alternative, so my opinion is irrelevant), I think we can get away with it given their fleet's condition (largely destroyed). NEXT turn we should focus on immediate improvements like improved transports and infantry weapons, but as of this millisecond we are sitting pretty. Now let's hope they don't prove me wrong during the battle phase.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 13, 2017, 12:35:16 am »

we are currently winning.
Yep, but by how much?

Lets see... We control 6\6 on C, they control 6\6 on E
We both control 1\6 of A
We control 4\6 of F
They control 4\6 of D , we control 2\6 of D

we are ahead by 2\6 of a planet. It is a small advantage that can be easily lost by doing such slow turns as this one.
We are in a positional advantage in the heavens. Which sadly we will squander it easily.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 13, 2017, 12:59:48 am »

we have better ships with better radar and better weaponry
Our ships are indeed better. By a little. As soon as they fix their agility problem by introducing better thrusters this can  go away.

I really don't care about current generation of ships because as soon as either side will care to design an new vessel - current one will go obsolete. One of reasons I consider Loki's a wasted design. They will go obsolete together with Odins. It wouldn't be wasted if we used this experience and went for more small vessels and *cough, airforcre, *cough
They are too similar to Odins to matter.

We have a ground vehicle that will likely take them multiple turns to counter
Design > Cell powered exoskeleton\light mecha that allows to carry large guns easily
Revision > Anti-tank laser rifle focused on armor penetration

This took me few seconds of thinking. They may come to better solution. For all we know they may have used few actions on a very hard land vehicle and may need one action to make it suitable for mass production.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:01:38 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 13, 2017, 01:01:45 am »

I agree that we have the advantage in space, a slight advantage yes, but an advantage.

Ertex likely realizes this too, and will likely pull back their fleet to repair and recover losses, and upgrade their fleet while they're at it.

Either way; if Ertex pulls back and we stay put; we'll incur a disadvantage: We won't be able to even try to contest their next shipment of new equipment to their units on A and D; as our damaged Fleet will not win against a fresh, upgraded, Ertex Fleet. If we stay and they pull back, we will have to pull back, and not be able to even entertain the thoughts of moving the unit at F to D, or of shipping in more Hrungnirs; as our fleet will be forced to pull back or get crushed; and as such be busy being repaired and upgraded.
We have the advantage. It's not a huge enough advantage for our fleet to win a second round with a fresh Ertex Fleet without being repaired first. Anyway, I'd suspect that A and D's orbit will be empty of Ertexite ships this turn anyway; so having a fleet presence there won't be necessary.

Quote from: Votebox
Plan Sneaky Hobbitses: (4) Madman, Maximum, SamSpeeds, Jilladilla
Plan use our navy (1)strongpoint

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 13, 2017, 01:49:46 am »

as our damaged Fleet will not win against a fresh, upgraded, Ertex Fleet.
Why are you so sure? We have 2SSP, 2 potential SSP from F, 2 potential spp from Lokis this is 6SPP for new warships to reinforce task force over D.

Also, if our task force won't win... Well then we pull back, repair, come back with the same advantage.

Also, also I am bored discussing already finished tactical vote. Here are a potential design from me.

QS-XX Vedrfolnir
Vedrfolnrnr is a 4TC aerodynamic aircraft that looks like Hrungnir. It is powered by a Stardust reactor. It is coated by a state of the art coating that gives it stealth both against radars and against naked eye as well as offer some anti-laser protection. It is powered by Apollo thruster It comes with an onboard radar and targeting computer. It is armed with a 50mm Mjolnir (like one on Hrungnirs), two 30mm Hayks (like ones on Doves) and has an internal munition bay that can house different munitions, currently only basic unguided bombs. Vedrfolnirs can barely fit into ITC and can launch from it to reach planet's surface but they can't be operated from them as they do require land infrastructure and have only few hours of life support for the pilot.

I would design this, revise similar coating for Lokis, then send both to D

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 13, 2017, 06:41:53 am »

We can't transport 4TC equipment from space to the surface, though, and if it's space-capable it's going to cost SPP and that's going to suck.

I'll be travelling for the rest of today, I'll be back in....a while. Sometime tomorrow. I'll complain and argue discuss more then.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 13, 2017, 08:21:47 am »

We can't transport 4TC equipment from space to the surface, though,
I know that my English writing skills are not good enough but I think it is quite clear that it can go directly from ITC to planet needing no shuttles....

if it's space-capable it's going to cost SPP and that's going to suck.
I expect that it is gonna cost SSP only if it will be actually usable in space combat not merely can go to space. It is like saying that some future high caliber Mojonir should cost SPP because it can fire in space.
Saying that I see no tragedy in a minor SPP cost if land based vehicle will be able to perform in space battles.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 13, 2017, 08:35:10 am »

QS-XX Vedrfolnir
Vedrfolnrnr is a 4TC aerodynamic aircraft that looks like Hrungnir. It is powered by a Stardust reactor. It is coated by a state of the art coating that gives it stealth both against radars and against naked eye as well as offer some anti-laser protection. It is powered by Apollo thruster It comes with an onboard radar and targeting computer. It is armed with a 50mm Mjolnir (like one on Hrungnirs), two 30mm Hayks (like ones on Doves) and has an internal munition bay that can house different munitions, currently only basic unguided bombs. Vedrfolnirs can barely fit into ITC and can launch from it to reach planet's surface but they can't be operated from them as they do require land infrastructure and have only few hours of life support for the pilot.

I'll be honest; this is a thing that'd likely work. Possibly even fairly decently. Will it stand up to the trial by Votebox though? Maybe yes, maybe no.
Do remember that our optical metamaterials do not cover radar yet. Just visible light, for now. I myself am partial to spending the next design on making the metamaterial a little better (mostly in the realm of expanding what it can be made invisible to) + getting formalized plating options for our Odin's, Loki's, Hrungnir's, and whatever we design in the future.

Glory to United Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 13, 2017, 10:06:07 am »

Do remember that our optical metamaterials do not cover radar yet.
We have anti-radar stealth technologies in modern fighters.

I think with current plan our preferred strategy for the next turn is actually scrapping the whole fleet and designing new warship and revising Loki's

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 13, 2017, 10:13:10 am »

Design > Cell powered exoskeleton\light mecha that allows to carry large guns easily
Revision > Anti-tank laser rifle focused on armor penetration

This took me few seconds of thinking. They may come to better solution. For all we know they may have used few actions on a very hard land vehicle and may need one action to make it suitable for mass production.

Our tank has anti laser countermeasures. They have no tech that gives them any experience in firearms. They have no tech that gives them any experience in mechs. I'm faiiiirly certain (could be wrong) that they have spent every design and revision on something that was immediately deployed and revealed. It took you a few seconds to think of that counter, but this game doesnt work like that: you cant just say "uhhh gimme mech" and then it happens. They cannot feasibly counter our tank with their current tech, and so it should take them some time to come up with a solution.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 13, 2017, 10:26:01 am »

They have no tech that gives them any experience in firearms.
*facepalms* They have laser rifles. They [/b]can[/b] upgrade them for better armor penetration.

It took you a few seconds to think of that counter, but this game doesnt work like that: you cant just say "uhhh gimme mech" and then it happens.
It is exactly how it work unless you roll badly or become overly ambitious. Exoskeleton is absolutely within the reach of their technology. I doubt that it is even a hard design.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 13, 2017, 10:38:25 am »

The fact is though, that the Hrungnir has anti-laser countermeasures, even if they upgrade their lasers, said countermeasures will continue to mitigate the effectiveness of their specialized Anti-Tank Lasers; and will continue to do so as long as they use lasers.

The sloping and titanium on the thing is for in case they decide to branch out with other weapon types. We can all agree that the thing is a brick, a very mobile brick if the report is to be believed, but definitely a brick defensively.

Also, a mech is not inherently better than a tank. As this is soft sci-fi, mechs are viable, but I believe NUKE said something along the lines of them having their benefits and flaws when compared to a tank. What said benefits and flaws are, we don't know yet.

Glory to United Forenia!

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 13, 2017, 11:19:37 am »

*facepalms* They have laser rifles. They can upgrade them for better armor penetration.

They have crappy printed pistols and laser rifles (and I'm fairly certain laser rifles aren't firearms by our modern definition. You can take your palm off your face). They actually have armor piercing lasers already, and they didn't work against the Hrungnir, due to it's ceramics and chaff. A more effective counter would be ballistics, which they suck at.

It is exactly how it work unless you roll badly or become overly ambitious. Exoskeleton is absolutely within the reach of their technology. I doubt that it is even a hard design.

It'll take an ambitious exoskeleton to beat our ambitious tank. They'd have to design a completely new weapons platform, unlike anything they've deployed before, a better laser that can best our big beastly armor, and an effective power supply. Plus they have to deal with OUR weapon systems. They have a few hurdles to jump through. Any other counter will face the same problems. Exoskeletons MAY be within the reach of their technology, but it'll take more than some metal bolted onto an arm to beat our tanks.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39