Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Nioh: Samurai Souls  (Read 5732 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Nioh: Samurai Souls
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 09:28:51 am »

Yeah, Umi bozu level is pure cancer. I'll be the first to admit this game has no idea how to level design at all.

Thankfully that seems to be the only level with so many bullshit instadeaths. Though the tengu mountain stage is quite the annoying stage as well. Fucking tengus. When I started that level I had 80+ elixirs. I ended with 7.

-----

The boss fights I really enjoy are all the human ones. It's just fun to pretend to be doing Samurai duels. I like the dojo master battles a lot. With the exception of this stupid nue + wooden stick battle.

-----

Oh and good news. Mouse and keyboard support is coming next week: https://mobile.twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio/status/935046899752607744

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 09:56:54 pm »

Do your weapon choices at the beginning matter?  If I decided I wanted to use a different secondary would it fuck anything up?
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 10:33:39 pm »

Do your weapon choices at the beginning matter?  If I decided I wanted to use a different secondary would it fuck anything up?
I recommend sticking to the basic weapons first despite how tempting it might be to use a giant sword or tonfas or whatever.

This is because the fancy weapons are DLC weapons and they very rarely drop in the main campaign. So your loot choices become severely limited in the beginning. In comparison, you'll be flooded with legendary swords and spears with fancy effects.

Other than that it doesn't really matter all that much. Some weapons use primarily skill for damage. Some use strength. You can switch them whenever you like. When you start investing in skill points things might change a bit, but later on you should feel pretty settled on some weapons you prefer.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 08:18:56 pm »

You can't deny the game is innovative.  For example, in most games when you hit the dodge button, your character dodges.  But Nioh is not most games.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 09:35:20 pm »

You can't deny the game is innovative.  For example, in most games when you hit the dodge button, your character dodges.  But Nioh is not most games.
If you're referring to how you can get hit during dodging, it's because there's no i-frames on regular dodges.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 09:47:09 pm »

No, I'm talking about where he doesn't do anything when I hit the button.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 10:13:51 pm »

You also can't animation cancel most combos with dodge.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 10:19:55 pm »

Yeah, Umi bozu level is pure cancer. I'll be the first to admit this game has no idea how to level design at all.

Thankfully that seems to be the only level with so many bullshit instadeaths. Though the tengu mountain stage is quite the annoying stage as well. Fucking tengus. When I started that level I had 80+ elixirs. I ended with 7.

-----

The boss fights I really enjoy are all the human ones. It's just fun to pretend to be doing Samurai duels. I like the dojo master battles a lot. With the exception of this stupid nue + wooden stick battle.

-----

Oh and good news. Mouse and keyboard support is coming next week: https://mobile.twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio/status/935046899752607744

Ouch. As a big Souls fan, those bits are what make me wary of getting Nioh, that and I don't have as much time now as I used to

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 11:12:20 pm »

I suggest investing in the ki pulse dodge skills. The description says it lets you use dodge to ki pulse, but they don't tell you the important stuff: it lets you use dodge anytime a ki pulse is possible. This lets you dodge earlier/faster after attacks, it is especially noticeable in high stance.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2017, 03:44:17 am »

Phew, I finally beat the main campaign. The final mission is a gruesome battle with so... many... boss fights.

I'm impressed this game has such a nice resolution too, with a fitting epilogue as well.

So now I unlocked all the bonus missions and the three DLC. I tried my hand at some of the bonus missions.

Uh... let's just say... fucking crazy hard. Fucking crazy hard would be the exact words to describe them. They're basically like, "hey, remember this one boss that was pretty frigging hard? What about this other boss who was really hard? Guess what?! Yup! Have fun!". They're all variations of that, sometimes with more than two. Good thing all of them are optional and are basically just challenge missions if not I'd lose my mind. One of them has you fighting three fucking tengus...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2017, 10:00:45 am »

Phew, I finally beat the main campaign. The final mission is a gruesome battle with so... many... boss fights.

Likewise, though I'm a bit disappointed with the last one. It's a bit of a spectacle fight, and the only difficult stage is the very last one, where it actually gets damage like a real boss. I did run out of estus to chug, but I had enough time, mid boss-battle, to cower behind cover, go into my inventory, and put the Shingiku medicine I'd never used before on my hotbar. After that it was basically running in circles and baiting attacks.

I'm rather disappointed with its use of ordinary dudes as bosses. I've become really good at fighting ordinary dudes, and I ran through the last four or five bosses of the base game on the first shot, because they were all basically armed dudes.

Ouch. As a big Souls fan, those bits are what make me wary of getting Nioh, that and I don't have as much time now as I used to

It's alright. A better Souls game than The Surge, but worse than any actual souls game. Still scratches the itch a bit, and it has its moments. It does take a bit of trial and error to learn which combos you can roll out of, and which you have to block until there's an opening to retreat.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2017, 12:05:50 pm »

It's alright. A better Souls game than The Surge, but worse than any actual souls game. Still scratches the itch a bit, and it has its moments. It does take a bit of trial and error to learn which combos you can roll out of, and which you have to block until there's an opening to retreat.
Yeah, after beating the main campaign I'd rank it about there as well.

I really like the combat, but the map design and enemy variety sucks super dick.

I mean, I did beat it. That says a lot. I don't normally finish games.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2017, 09:19:34 pm »

How's the pvp?  PvP was the only time I really felt like I loved dark souls. 
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2017, 09:34:51 pm »

How's the pvp?  PvP was the only time I really felt like I loved dark souls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck6E2mLq9QQ

Skill mode means they're using preset game builds so it's skill instead of gear.

-----------

Edit: Holy shit, I just stumbled across an awesome secret mission. It was a dojo mission, cramped inside the dojo itself, which means a small little arena. And I had to fight every. single. dojo. master one at a time in a row.

It was a fucking riot. That's exactly what I wanted this entire game. Just nonstop samurai duels. No bullshit fireballs or lasers or giant monsters. Just 6 samurai dueling with normal human weapons.

-----------

I also did a few coop missions on New Game +. It's actually fun now because there are no scrubs begging for help with bosses, just people running through levels knowing what needs to be done. It's quite fun, especially since the bosses have huge HP pools when you're co-op-ing. Not so much that they feel like damage sponges, but just enough so it doesn't feel like some lameass fight where they die instantly due to 2x the DPS.

I don't know why there are two coop options in this game. There's "become a visitor" which is exactly the same as Dark Souls, where if you or the host dies, the session ends. Then there's "Yokai Realm with a Companion", which is better in every single way due not the game not ending when anyone dies. You can run around reviving each other if you die, but you can only do this a limited amount of times. Also now both players can interact with the map and actually do things.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2017, 08:18:25 pm »

Being a visitor has its perks, you gain more glory and get umbracite for mission completion amongst other things.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Pages: 1 2 [3]