Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Amazon Does Tolkien  (Read 2769 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Does Tolkien
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 06:13:48 pm »

Apart from that, if they are doing the Silmarillion, I am genuinely curious what Morgoth/Melkor would look like, considering they already gave the towering, armoured giant look to Sauron.

I always thought he was about the same thing because of the Ted Nasmith illustrations I have in my copy of the Silmarillion.

http://www.tednasmith.com/tolkien/morgoth-and-the-high-king-of-noldor/
http://www.tednasmith.com/tolkien/morgoth-punishes-hurin/

That being said I hope they go with something slightly different for the show just to prevent him from being "Sauron but bigger though."
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 06:27:28 pm »

Apart from that, if they are doing the Silmarillion, I am genuinely curious what Morgoth/Melkor would look like, considering they already gave the towering, armoured giant look to Sauron.

I always thought he was about the same thing because of the Ted Nasmith illustrations I have in my copy of the Silmarillion.

http://www.tednasmith.com/tolkien/morgoth-and-the-high-king-of-noldor/
http://www.tednasmith.com/tolkien/morgoth-punishes-hurin/

That being said I hope they go with something slightly different for the show just to prevent him from being "Sauron but bigger though."

They have to somehow make the audience understand how Morgoth became that.  It's ok for him to be Sauron-But-Bigger if it's understood that he was literally a god with no permanent form until he permanently trapped himself in a vulnerable body in the process of infusing his corrupting will into all of Arda.  How he came to be in that form and what that means for his character and the entire setting is more interesting than the visage itself.

If they're going to do Silmarillion content, Children of Hurin, Ley of Luthien, and the Fall of Gondolin would be the lowest hanging fruit.  Outside of those 3 fairly well-developed stories, they would be filling in a lot of space.  Which might be for the best, because then they can't fuck up canon.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 06:38:59 pm »

Meh, they could do something with the rise of Angmar and the fall of Arthedain and Cardolan. Could start with the death of Isildur (to tie into the movies) and move forward from there.

Or the Kin-strife War that created the Corsairs.

Or even something Second Age with the expansion of Numenor, its corruption and eventual downfall. Plenty of room there to create original characters and storylines, with Numenorean history as the backdrop.

Or, maybe they'll take inspiration from Man in the High Castle, and it'll be an alternate history Middle-Earth where Sauron wasn't defeated and follows the brave members of a resistance cell, with some humans, an elf, a dwarf, a halfling, and hell...let's throw a wose in there while we're at it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 06:51:59 pm »

Which might be for the best, because then they can't fuck up canon.
I long ago came to the conclusion and acceptance that any film adaptation is really just a closely parallel universe to the adapted book series. Some of them (like LotR) are fairly close, some of them (like that terrible Eragon film) aren't even close, and some of them (such as GoT) start close and then branch off. This has very little bearing on how much I enjoy the film though. Personally I loved all the hobbit films, despite the fact that they were a far cry from exact canon they were still definitely enjoyable in most aspects (significant amounts of dragon voice overlays notwithstanding).

Personally I look forward to the series, even if it turns out that it's conflicting with preexisting cannon in some aspects.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 07:41:37 pm »

(like that terrible Eragon film)
But the books are also terrible, wouldn't that make the movie a faithful adaptation to the experience of reading them?

At any rate, I won't judge either way until we got some actual info to go on.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 08:18:37 pm »

I wonder if they will jam in the rangers and the original wall, and if so if they will be declared rip offs of Game of Thrones
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 08:40:16 pm »

There are core aspects of a story that make it what it is, though, and I think that failing to retain those things is what makes a bad adaptation.   I don't think I'm an unreasonable level of purist.  But if a story has important themes or messages or central characters have certain elements that define those characters, it's butchery and shameless cashing in to call your work an adaptation without trying to identify and adapt those core aspects of the story.  Or you better be making a strong artistic statement of another sort, such as Stanley Kubrick did by leaving out the book ending to Clockwork Orange.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 08:50:19 pm »

One thing I'm sure we can all agree on is that it can't possibly be worse than the Hobbit films.

But the books are also terrible, wouldn't that make the movie a faithful adaptation to the experience of reading them?
Hey now. The Inheritance Series (or whatever it was called) may have been... pretty paint-by-numbers and filled with Sues, looking back, but it was enjoyable enough for high fantasy.
Even if it was worthy of being called "terrible", that horrific movie would have to have been a whole order of magnitude moreso.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 09:15:03 pm »

At any rate, I won't judge either way until we got some actual info to go on.
Y'know, I actually read those books as a kid (never finished the total of them). Also watched the movie... and got the game. Never got particularly far in the game due to being actually stuck and unable to proceed around the beginning. Did not like the movie at all. Grew out of the books after watching the movie (more of a coincidence of timing than anything else).

Can concur, all were terrible. However, I'd say that the game was the worst of the 3, by virtue of being a game adaptation of a movie adaptation of a book, as well as just flat-out not working.
I managed to make it through all the books, so there's that. Didn't know they made a game.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 11:24:03 pm »

I heard he's making a science fiction booktriologycycle next.

On the other hand it's been like a decade since the fourth book came out. Or something.
Love, scriver~

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 02:28:49 am »

Hey now. The Inheritance Series (or whatever it was called) may have been... pretty paint-by-numbers and filled with Sues, looking back, but it was enjoyable enough for high fantasy.
Even if it was worthy of being called "terrible", that horrific movie would have to have been a whole order of magnitude moreso.

They were pretty atrocious when you consider how much of it was randomly ripped from other books / movies ("We don't need no stinkin' barges" / that dude getting whipped like Starship Troopers).

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 05:06:35 am »

If they play it right, they might be able to do something interesting revolving around the Doom of the Noldor. Politics! Intrigue! Dramatic burning ships! Hardbitten, hardcore elves hiking across the grinding ice!

But again, there's so much backstory I don't know how they'd fit it together without handwaving the importance of the Silmarils.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 05:10:02 am »

Put the fall of Numenor in there, that would make for some good TV.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 10:14:44 am »

Put the fall of Numenor in there, that would make for some good TV.
That's what I said earlier. The whole steady corruption and fall of Numenor could be a rich milieu to mine (and allow for some analogy to modern events if they're feeling political), though the problem is one of timescale -- the corruption of Numenor took about 1000 years and a dozen rulers, depending on where you mark the beginning of it.

(I'd say it started in the reign of Tar-Ancalimon, and slowly accelerates as later rulers drop Quenya in favor of Adunaic, abandon the worship of the Valar for the worship of Morgoth, and start wearing red helmets saying "Make Numenor Great Again".)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 11:25:26 am »

I'm in a Lord of the Rings Discord if any of you are interested: https://discord.gg/Wt4vAFc
Pages: 1 [2] 3