Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Amazon Does Tolkien  (Read 2768 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Does Tolkien
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 12:02:01 pm »

I'm just going to watch where this goes. Should be....morbidly entertaining.

Is there any sort of release date yet?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 12:07:26 pm »

I'm just going to watch where this goes. Should be....morbidly entertaining.

Is there any sort of release date yet?

2-3 years at least, I imagine. It's a bit confusing about why they're announcing it now.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 05:44:19 pm »

Put the fall of Numenor in there, that would make for some good TV.
That's what I said earlier. The whole steady corruption and fall of Numenor could be a rich milieu to mine (and allow for some analogy to modern events if they're feeling political), though the problem is one of timescale -- the corruption of Numenor took about 1000 years and a dozen rulers, depending on where you mark the beginning of it.

(I'd say it started in the reign of Tar-Ancalimon, and slowly accelerates as later rulers drop Quenya in favor of Adunaic, abandon the worship of the Valar for the worship of Morgoth, and start wearing red helmets saying "Make Numenor Great Again".)

I tripped on the timescale issue, too, and it irks me when adaptations deal with issues like this by simply shrinking the scope.  Portraying something that took a long time as happening in a short time for convenience.  It wasn't one of my major complaints with the LotR films, but it did bother me.

But a really good writer can pick a point towards the end of the thing and make it known that what's going on is part of a centuries-long downward spiral through clever dialogue.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 05:59:30 pm »

Again, I think anything other than the very end of the Second Age is way too far out for the average person. It wouldn't even seem like LotR to them, as they'd be expecting an alliance of the 'free folk' vs Sauron not the Valar and all the rest. As mentioned, they'd also have the shrink the scope massively to make for any actual drama.

This has got to have really, really solid mainstream appeal or it's just not going to sell.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 2 [3]