Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Sacrilege IC thread [4/6]  (Read 7230 times)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
Re: Sacrilege IC thread [4/6]
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2018, 11:03:39 pm »

Chapter 2: Part 3: That feeling when you know you owe your players a turn, but you have tests to study for.

Annabelle Winston[4]+5: You grab another book from the shelf. It's a college chemistry text book. You turn to the chapter discussing exothermic reactions and read a bit. Funnily enough, it has a passage you are certain you have never seen before in a text book.

"When two or more mages into into proximity of each other, their magics react. The magic reaction is exothermic, resulting in the heat mages feel in proximity to one another."

Well, that's interesting, if not entirely novel.

Jason/Octavian Grey[6] and Carter Graham[9]: Onwards you go, avoiding any possible plot hooks or other interesting moments along the way. Well, this already took longer than I'd thought it would. After using aback entrance into the city, you find your way over to where the crow is circling. It's a rich part of town, particularly above the biggest mansion you had ever seen. As you near it, the air heats up like a sauna. You look around for fellow mages, and see a young man, trying his best to hide, looking over a note book. The Crow lands on the roof of the house.

Russel *Fish* Fischer[7]: Looking over your logs, you find a woman that matches your mother's description. Unfortunately, you find four others that also match. With only basic notes on their description, they were far away and there were a lot of servants, you can't tell now which one is your mother. Fortunately, that seems to be the least of your problems. The air heats up again. You look around to see who it is this time. And you see two men who look about the same age as you, staring right at you. The Crow lands on the roof of the house.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2018, 11:06:58 pm »

*Friendly reminder that Jason has Cold Iron Skin, and does not trigger the mage-detectors*
Be careful and try to be inconspicuous.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2018, 11:13:14 pm »

Give a friendly wave (he's already seen us) and then go walk away, making sure I'm/we're not followed...and search for secretive back entrances or something like that.

I dunno what you want from me, do I look like a cat-burglar to you?

Just gonna look like a totally-not-suspicious-person and get away from here...that sounds like a good plan...
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2018, 01:26:49 am »

Russel does his best to not look shocked when the pair of strangers stumble upon him. There's that heat again, but where's Dis? he thought to himself. This guy looks about 1/3rd of the age of him. He looks a little puzzled at the wave that the stranger gave him, eyes darting between him and his warm aura and his comparatively colder companion. Maybe they're his lackeys? That'd explain why one of them isn't giving off that energy. He turns that thought over in his mind a little before snapping to a new conclusion. Maybe that is Dis. Does he shapeshift? Illusion, maybe? Fuck, if he's got magic he could do anything... As the warmer of the two moves away, he flips back to Dis's page in his notebook, jotting down everything he can about the strangers' appearances.

Finished, he closes up his notebook. Alright, Dis. I'll play your game. With that, Russel gets up and prepares to follow the pair of strangers at a safe distance as to not trigger the heat reaction, sticking to the rooftops instead for a nice, far bird's eye view.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2018, 01:40:50 am »

"Hmm," Annabelle mused as she reread that last bit. "So our magics react in a similar way to chemicals, like if sodium is added to chlorine gas to create table salt. If that's the case then how are we, who have totally different abilities, able to have the same reaction? It's as if they merely act similar, yet is different altogether."

Turning the page, Annabelle continued, "But let's say that our magics do in fact release energy pretty much like an exothermic chemical reaction. Perhaps there is a way to create something that's endothermic, something that can absorb enough of this strange heat just in case it becomes bothersome. I'd hate to be crammed into a market full of our kind. It wouldn't surprise me if those of us who are trapped in the center are cooked alive."

Putting down the door, Annabelle stood up and went over to the window and took a deep breath. She then admired the strangely blended but beautiful architecture  of the buildings outside. Say what one will of Serapis' screwing over the modern world, at least he didn't skimp on the details.

Continue to look out the window.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2018, 09:54:04 am »

Chapter 2: Part 4: When you assume, you make an ass out of you and me.

Annabelle Winston[2]: Annabelle finds her book too interesting to look out the window. Yes, there couldn't be anything interesting out that way. Whatever the case, she turns to the next page.

"However, it appears that only mages can feel the heat, resulting in many to assume that the heat is mental. As a result of this, the heat can not be utilized for the creation of food or other such things that require heating."

Jason/Octavian Grey[7]+1 and Carter Graham[10]: Jason remain inconspicuous, and no one new notices him. You travel over to the back of the house, and search around for a back entrance. Carter manages to find one, and its unlocked. However, as you check to see if you are followed, you see the young man from earlier, watching you from a rooftop.

Russel "Fish" Fischer[7]: You jump to the a nearby rooftop to watch the two new arrivals. You don't have any evidence the older one isn't Dis, so you assume he are. You follow them along to the back of the mansion. They wonder over, and the older one finds a door that is unlocked. If he knows which doors are open he must be Dis!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:47:12 am by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2018, 01:36:50 pm »

Russel squints from the rooftop and whips out his notebook. He scribbles "shapeshifter" with a double underscore and makes a quick note about the location of the unlocked door as well. I gotcha now, Dis. he thinks with a grin. If I can't find my mom, then maybe one of you can offer some insight. He makes his way to the opposite side of the roof, jumping down into an alley as to remain unseen. As much as I'd like to meet Dis head on, I'd probably get my ass kicked, but I can handle his lanky lackey. He snickers internally. Lanky lackey. Quickly regaining his composure, he peeks out of the alley and watches to see what the pair are up to. If they head inside, he'll try and stealthily close the gap to follow them within, making notes of nearby windows and other doors as possible escape routes if things go south.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2018, 01:58:00 pm »

Check the door for traps.

C'mon, now, you don't find powerful wizards' own homes with the doors unlocked and with entry unopposed.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2018, 12:13:35 pm »

"Hrm, so it's all in our heads then," Annabelle muttered, feeling frustrated to say the least. Serapis couldn't at least turn the world into a winter wonderland? He just had to land them in the middle of a fricking desert and let the arid climate add on to their suffering! Regardless of what she'd originally thought, perhaps he deserved to be taken down.

"Okay, that's enough reading for now," Annabelle said as she put the book up and turned toward the door. "I wonder what else Dis place has to offer."

Chuckling as her little pun, Annabelle will leave the library and go exploring.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2018, 12:16:41 pm »

Help out with the door-checking, but keep an eye on Suspicious Roof Guy.

"That guy is back, and we're awkwardly hanging out in back of some obviously rich person's house, dressed like we've been walking in the desert for hours and haven't cleaned up...Whelp, let's see if we can't get in, hm?"
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2018, 01:30:16 pm »

Chapter 2: Paragraph 5: Action Time, FINALLY!

Dis [5] v. Octavian [6] Octavian wins
Dis [10] v. Carter [1] Carter fails epically
Dis [3] v. Russel [1] Russel Fails
Bodily injury die [11] lower body

Annabelle Winston[9]: You put the book back and leave the study. Walking out, your shoes click on the polished wood floor. Everything in here is polished and pristine. The walls are polished and smooth stone, painted with beautiful frescoes, and with marble statues of different gods and goddesses. Following the sound of running water, you find a fountain filled with koi, and a grey cat with black spots laying on it in a sunbeam. You continue walking through the house, until you find a pair of oak doors. You open them quietly, and look inside to see Dis starting at a bowl of water, rolling some dice.

Jason/Octavian Grey[3]+2 [3]+2: Jason checked the door for traps. Unfortunately, even though he was a geek, he wasn't actually used to checking for traps. What did he expect, that all he needed to do was roll high enough? That's silly. However, he didn't know how he did, and thus, as far as he was concerned, there was only a tripwire trap that would activate if you opened the door fully. Ah, ignorance is bliss, isn't it? Well, at least until a trap gets you in the behind. All of the sudden, Carter springs a trap on the door, and an arrow hits him in the side, and the guy Carter was watching falls off the roof!

Carter Graham[7] [9]: You give the door a once over. It seems incredibly likely that it's trapped, it's a rich guy's house, it doesn't matter what year the world was made to look like, rich people are not going to leave their houses open to outsiders. You don't really understand how to disable the traps, but you have experience looking for tiny things that might be important, it was kind of your job. Octavian doesn't seem to be doing a good job of checking, as it doesn't take to long before he declares it done. You are taking much longer, though partially because you aren't entirely focused on it. Your attention is split as you are also spending time watching the mysterious stalker guy. You honestly don't know what his problem is, maybe he works here? He doesn't look like the kind of person who would own this house. Maybe the owner's son? You'd assume that he would have done something by now. Maybe he triggered a silent alarm? Well, no use worrying too much, for all you know he just thinks Octavian and you are weird and doesn't want to be seen staring. I mean, you obviously don't belong around here, and it's not too hard to see you're breaking in. Perhaps you should have paid more attention to the door, as you feel something painful shoot into you, right above the waist! You grasp at your side and feel something long and thin, probably some sort of arrow. A burning sensation fills your side, but it doesn't distract you enough not to realize creepy stalker guy just fell.

Russel "Fish" Fischer[7]+2 [7]+1: You enter stealth mode, you're used to it, though normally you are hiding from people you want to photograph, not highly important shapeshifting magicians who are stalking your mom, but the basic principle is the same. Find a place to hide, avoid eye contact, and don't look like you are staring. Unfortunately, that doesn't work as well of the person knows you are watching, and Dis knows. Dis and his lackey are doing something, wait, are they checking the door? Why would he do that ifit was Dis's home? This keeps getting weirder and weirder. You hear a sound like a string breaking, and an arrow appears in Dis's side! You don't have much time to think on that though, as your foot slips, and you tumble off the rooftop!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:18:41 am by Smoke Mirrors »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2018, 01:37:00 pm »

GET TO COVER DAMNIT.

[A 5 is a partial success... I should have at least known that there were traps, even if I don’t know what they are...]

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2018, 09:45:30 pm »

Annabelle looked confused as she watched Dis roll some dice while staring intently into a bowl of water. At first, she thought that he was going mad but then she remembered that he is Awakened, just like her. For all intents and purposes, he could be staring at something elsewhere, using the bowl as a means of observation. If that's the case, why was he rolling dice? In her studies during the time before Serapis' arrival, she came across knowledge of people who practiced divination. Basically, they would seek to determine their gods' intentions by looking for signs in mundane items and rituals. Whether it entailed reading the discoloration on a goat's liver or in what position bones landed when tossed, divination was used to make choices and predict future events. However, Dis was repeated rolling dice. Was he not happy with where the dice keep falling or was he actively manipulating fate, using the dice as foci for his ability? If so, what exactly are he trying to achieve?

Annabelle will continue to watch Dis, reading his expressions and actions while remaining as quiet as possible.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2018, 12:29:55 pm »

Russel has only a brief moment of absolute befuddlement before he is caught entirely off guard by his uneven footing, plummeting off of the roof. This is gonna hurt, he thinks, before trying to activate his Kneebrace spell to at the very least not shatter his ankles on impact. If he survives, he's not going to take any chances by sticking around with... Whatever it is that's going on and is going to disappear into the alley ways, putting some distance between him and the mansion.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2018, 09:15:34 am »

Get out of the doorway, check out the arrow thing I just got unreasonably shot by.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8