Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 65

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls: Rebirth [IC]: The Spider, Snake and Bat  (Read 44012 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls: Rebirth [IC]: The Spider, Snake and Bat
« Reply #675 on: April 25, 2018, 02:08:17 pm »

Entering the building, Ito slipped a skull-faced ring onto his finger, having asked his partner to keep an eye on any magical signatures around, just in case anything came up, be it of a normal magical nature or even Horror-based, as they were known to occasionally set up shop in hospitals.

He didn't want to walk up to the head yet, instead setting about examining the place and looking for anything alarming to start without seeming too conspicuous.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 26, 2018, 01:48:48 pm »

Ai
Ai manages to blend in well enough, sitting on a nearby bench, looking for all the world like she was waiting for a check-up, or waiting to visit a friend, perhaps. Casually, she begins to listen in on the conversation.

"Ah, yes, the attacks last night. We attempted to mobilize as quick as possible, but our forces, I'm afraid, are not quite as entrenched in the region as I'd like them to be. We're too spread thin. I've requested that my subordinates in Sendai send more forces down to Minatodai, but they won't arrive for another week until the region is completely secure. The recent Zoanthrope attack on Sendai has made matters problematic in regards to deployment. You have my deepest apologies."
"Miss Richards, if I may, my primary concern is for the patients of this hospital. It's a risky enough profession without Zoanthrope attacks directly on here. Might I request at least a small unit to be based at the hospital directly?"
"I'll see what I can do, Mister Matou. I may be able to pull some men from the Seito patrol to protect the hospital until further notice, but I cannot promise too much too soon. Is there anything else I can help you with?"
"....no, thank you. That is....all the reassurance I need. Thank you. I'm surprised you came down here, I must say. Don't you have more important things to be concerned with?"
"As the head of the Eden Foundation, my concern lies with protecting the citizens of Japan from further attacks by the Zoanthropes. I'm aware of the work you conduct at this hospital, especially for children. It's my duty to ensure that neither you, nor your staff and patients face harm. I must apologise again, for last night's disturbance. I will do everything in my power to ensure it doesn't happen again."

Ai notes that the man is holding something back. Very subtly, very quietly, he's held something back from Ursula. It's something in his eyes, something in his gait. But what could it be?

"Ah. Are you here to speak with me also?"

Ai suddenly notes that Ursula's eyes aren't on the hospital administrator anymore, but on her instead. The lady studies her with a calm almost-smile, waiting for her to respond.

Ragnar
Splitting off from the others, Ragnar decides to follow the Eden soldiers, in order to see if they're looking for something. As he follows a pair of random soldiers heading down a corridor, Ragnar seems too focused to notice the cleaning cart heading down the corridor intersecting this one. Though he doesn't get hit, Ragnar manages to step back just in time to bump off a bottle of window cleaner and earn an earful from the janitor. As the janitor picks up the bottle, glaring at Ragnar as he pushes the cart away, Ragnar continues down to where he saw the soldiers walk, having seen them turn left into a different room, only to overhear something.

"Sir, you're disturbing the patient! Please leave!"
"We're here looking for anything to do with that Zoanthrope attack last night. We'll just be a minute."
"Y-you can't be in here!"
"He's right, we can't be in here. Let's just check one of the empty rooms, alright?"

A scoff and an irritated huff later, two uniformed soldiers are ushered out by a male nurse, a harried expression across his face as he quickly pushes them down the corridor. It's up to Ragnar if he wants to continue following them or to see what was in the room they just left.

Ito
The Makai Knight, meanwhile, has a poke around the place. Not following Ragnar, not listening to the conversation, he focuses on seeing what his Madou Ring can find, looking for magical signatures while Ito focuses on anything obvious to the naked eye.

To a mundane observer, nothing out of the ordinary. No secret latches, no hinges behind things, no vending machines that might be concealing doors. This place is as you might expect a hospital to be.

To the ring, however, the world looks fairly different.

Magic. Magic was everywhere in Touto. Everywhere in the city. The place is full of it. Perhaps because a load of magical girls lived here, or maybe because the whole city's on a leyline; however it got this way, magic is everywhere here.

However, the ring's capable of focusing it down, paring it down to just the hospital, just what needs to be scanned. And what he finds is.....nothing.

Not some sort of gap, some sort of vacuum as if there were nothing here. No, there's something here, but something else, something artificial, is interfering, preventing you from seeing it clearly, like magical static, making any conclusive reading here difficult if not impossible to get.

The mere existence of interference proves someone is hiding something here. The question is what, and the other question is how they're stopping you from seeing a damn thing.

Maki, Haruko and Amelie
You three head left, helping Maki search for anything that the Zoanthrope might have left behind; some scales, some lenses, anything. Of course, it wasn't exactly one of those cartoon birds that molts everywhere, nor was it really dropping anything but heated air directly on your exposed faces. And of course, there's nothing on the walls that suggests a hidden passage; no pressure plates, no oddly-hard soil, no plastic, no weirdly-placed edges in the wall, though there might be a few false windows that you might have to go in and check later but you suspect are probably real windows, just shuttered. Maki seems a little frustrated by now.

"Okay. I'll check by this bush. Can you guys watch my back, make sure nobody's looking for us? We'll look suspicious if someone catches us."

Almost as soon as Maki turns around to search, however, a girl rounds the corner on the end of the parking lot. You can make out enough of her to see; it's that girl from a couple of days ago, Naomi, one of Maki's friends. She said she lived in Seito, too; not too far from Touto, but it's enough of an oddity to ask questions about. Do you go up to her and ask how she is or do you tell Maki?

Sato and Agatha
You two decide to stay put, searching around the entrance area. After all, the Zoanthrope fell around here, so it's likely that there's something here, something hidden. Sato takes the subtle approach, poking at things, a lamppost here, a fake-looking car there. Nada, zilch, nothing. The blade, as far as you can tell, hasn't really found much either, though the hospital seems far fuzzier than it really ought to be.

As for Agatha? She almost immediately contacts the sewage system underground with her poking around. Well, that's going to be problematic; with these many sewage pipes in the area, you might not be able to find what you're looking for underground. On the plus side, if there is something with the hospital, it'll be under the hospital proper and not in the parking lot; too many pipes to build around, unless they exit through the sewer.

And then something catches both of your eyes. A faintly glowing mote of light, somewhere in a bush, towards the edge of the lot. It might be nothing, might just be a trick of the light, but it might be something worth checking out.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 26, 2018, 02:25:55 pm »

Ragnar looked between the room and the two mercs. He didn't think they deserved the title of soldier personally... but the was beside the point. After a few seconds he decided to see what was up with that particular patient. They could have just been a cranky old guy but the nurse seemed a little too pushy to him. Ragnar approaches the room to investigate, assuming he'd be stopped.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #678 on: April 26, 2018, 04:04:55 pm »

Haruko, spotting a familiar face, immediately waved and called out. "Hiiiii Naomi! Are you here to see Maki?" She was already moving toward the girl. It never once occurred to her that the girl's presence here might be unusual.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Mistwing

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing too much to keep up
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 27, 2018, 03:38:29 am »

Again, Ai's solution was simple. Desceptively simple. Having been leaning her head on a hand, looking absent-minded for all the world as she stared into empty space - away from the two she just happened to be hearing - she raised her head as if pulled out of a daydream and adopted a slightly sheepish smile. "I'm sorry? Oh. No. I'm just waiting for someone." As always, Ai speaks in a somewhat outdated but courteous language. Her answer a traditional response, friendly enough not to be rude but unspecific enough that further questions may be considered nosey.
Is your sexual purity worth more than bringing the dead back to life!?
----
I'M INSERTING MY DOUBLE MAXIMUM REPEATING WIND
INTO YOU DIRECTLY

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 30, 2018, 12:07:37 pm »

"You saw that right, Sato? It's the closest thing to a lead I have; so let's investigate it... Unless you found something on your end?"

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 01, 2018, 04:37:36 pm »

Okay. So we have disturbance going down in the hospital. makes it impossible to get any clean readings. Think, Ito. What could cause this.

Three options, probably. worst to best:
1) it's a naturally occurring phenomenon and the building was just built on top of it. unlikely, but possible. Not really any way to counter this unless a countermeasure could be devised.

2) Geomancy/Feng Shui. Basically, the building is constructed to muddle up magical energies and mask whatever's inside of it. This is... doable, there is a major leyline running through the place, though it's a major waste to use it for hiding something rather than encouraging health, life, and healing. Best way to check this would be... well, a map. The Ring probably knows enough to give a general idea of a geomantic setup if it exists and maybe even give a way to disrupt it, but that'd probably require breaking down a few walls, which... Would likely not be particularly stealthy.

3) A ward. old hat, really, though this one was advanced if it was the case, Not likely, they tend to have pretty defined edges, this one seems a little muddled, but it could have been set up to act like that to throw off the trail. Best to patrol the outside of the building and look for junction points where they would have positioned the charms to set it up. They could then in theory be disabled and destroyed with his Madou Lighter, or some other method.

Well, there was one other option, though he wasn't particularly happy with it if it was the case. Something could be creating the interference, but the shape of the effect according to what the Ring had told him didn't match what one would expect there, so he wouldn't bet on it.

That being said, Ito moves to begin investigating his ideas, first seeking out a map of the building if he could find one, likely one of those 'you are here' maps for people visiting family members to show them where the different wings are, and, if that fails, he'd likely have to spend some time patrolling around the outside of the building looking for likely places to build a ward.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 02, 2018, 02:11:06 pm »

Amelie, rather than run forward like Haruko had, nudged Maki and pointed to her friend.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 03, 2018, 06:01:31 am »

'Fuzzier than it should be'? Pretty safe to assume that was bad. It might not be, but then that could almost be worse - at least if this was intentional, their only lead so far might bear fruit.

It wasn't his concern for now, though; that was the hospital team's job right now. Besides, Yamato and Agatha might have a lead of their own.
"Yeah, I saw it. There's something I'd like you to look at in a sec, but it'll be faster if we check out whatever that is, first."

Investigate the shiny thing.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 03, 2018, 11:48:28 am »

"Right then, shall we?"

Investigate the shiny thing

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 04, 2018, 02:19:32 pm »

Ai
Ursula tilts her head, studying Ai's face closely, thinking carefully. You feel as if she might be seeing right through you, knowing what you were doing. The silence is just uncomfortably long enough before Ursula speaks again, satsified.

"Ah. Excuse my interruption, then. I just assumed you were. My mistake."
"I need to discuss something with you in private, i-if you wouldn't mind. My office?"
"No problem. Please, lead the way, Mister Matou."

Ursula and the administrator seem to be walking away. You feel as if there's more to be gleaned from this conversation, if you could only either stop them from leaving or follow them without being detected.

Ragnar
Ragnar slowly, then quickly, makes his way towards the room the nurse and soldiers just left, fully expecting the nurse to turn around, to stop him too-

Nope. They seem to be preoccupied with the soldiers, it seems. They haven't even noticed Ragnar turn into the room behind them, judging by their hurried chatter fading quickly down the corridor.

As for Ragnar, he's now being stared at by a young girl, probably about his age, give or take a few months, in faded green clothing, lying in bed with an IV drip attached to her wrist. Her eyes are slightly wide with curiosity as she studies Ragnar suspiciously.

".....you're not with them, are you?"

Better explain yourself quickly.
Ito
Ito very quickly finds such a map on the nearest wall, color-coded. There's about six floors to the place. The ground floor, where Ito is, has, in addition to a cafeteria, waiting room and walk-in clinic, the emergency room and trauma wing, along with one of apparently four long-term specialty wards, one which you remember Ragnar having walked into. The place doesn't seem to be created according to any geomantic principles except the geomantic principle of convenience.

So it's likely a ward or some sort of natural phenomenon. The question is, which one is it?

Maki, Haruko and Amelie
Haruko decides to go intercept Naomi, running towards her and waving. Naomi tilts her head, looking curious.
"Uh....Haruko, right? Hey! Um....oh, you're here with Maki, too, huh? You heard already?"

Meanwhile, Maki is nudged by Amelie, the blonde girl snapping out of a fugue while staring at an odd panel on the outside wall.
"Huh, what?"
She turns, to see Naomi and Haruko talking some distance away.
".....huh? What's Naomi doing here all the way from Seito?"

Sato and Agatha
You two decide to check the shiny thing, heading towards the bush. It's a relatively small, not-quite thorny bush, so you're able to move the branches out of the way to see what it is.

It seems to be a blue orb comprised of some sort of translucent, glowing energy, motes of light flickering in and out of existence around it. It floats ever so slightly off the ground, seeming to bob gently where it is.

Do you two know what that is? I followed some odd energy signature here, thinking it might be a Zoanthrope, and it led....here.
Seems Lapis has joined you, for now. The blue creature is swishing their tail, a blank-eyed stare at the blue orb.
Maybe you should take it, try to figure out what it is.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 04, 2018, 02:28:37 pm »

Ragnar silently freaks out in his head. He wasn't actually prepared for someone to be here, let alone someone awake and asking questions of him. He thought he'd just sneak in, see some weird device or something and then leave to tell the others. He mentally slaps himself. He has to pull himself together, a real hero wouldn't freak out just because of a little social interaction. He just had to act calm and not freak this girl out. Ragnar shakes his head.
"I'm with the group that brought down the Zoanthropes heading here yesterday. Do you mind if I ask some questions real quick? It could be very helpful in understanding what's going on."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #687 on: May 04, 2018, 03:15:27 pm »

Haruko frowned, head tilting slightly in confusion. "Eh? Heard what? Maki just wanted to come here to, um. . ." Right, they were on some kind of secret mission or something. Or, not really secret, but probably not something she was supposed to be telling people about. Maybe she should just go for something vague? "Look for something." There. Not suspicious.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Mistwing

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing too much to keep up
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 15, 2018, 11:55:47 am »

When push came to shove, Ai simply didn't care enough to risk the potential hassle that'd come from being caught snooping about around those particular heels and let that fish back into the sea for now. Instead she hangs around, paying more attention to her phone than her surroundings (from the looks of things. She remains quite aware of the maybe-also-robots shuffling about the place.) before apparently growing bored waiting and taking off down another hallway.
Is your sexual purity worth more than bringing the dead back to life!?
----
I'M INSERTING MY DOUBLE MAXIMUM REPEATING WIND
INTO YOU DIRECTLY

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 17, 2018, 08:28:52 am »

Amelie shrugged. "We could ask?"
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 65