Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37

Author Topic: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Nafuna, 1904 Battle Phase  (Read 52594 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Nafuna, 1893 Design Phase
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2017, 09:01:42 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Hor-Aha 12-pound Cannon (2): TheFantasticMrFox, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2017, 09:34:14 pm »

Crocadile vest (1): Funk
Hor-Aha 12-pound Cannon (2): TheFantasticMrFox, Taricus
Samir Hammer Rifle Mark 1 (1): Lightforger
I brought it up in the discord but, if we are doing the cannon we should think about adding a gunlock to it.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2017, 09:36:31 pm »

Really with the rolls we keep getting we should just make it a laser cannon.  Why not breach loading though?

Hor-Aha 12-pound Cannon (3): TheFantasticMrFox, Taricus, voidslayer

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2017, 10:12:22 pm »

Really with the rolls we keep getting we should just make it a laser cannon.  Why not breach loading though?

Something like this? No not for a 12 pounder.
There limits to how powerfull a charge that kind of breach can handel, for a light fast fireing gun yes but a 12 pounder No the breach will be too weak.
Now a mutiple shot Organ gun/Ribauldequin then yes, but letss say 1 pound per barrel and mounted on a chariot.
Maybe a twin barrel Falconet, kind off thing.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2017, 05:28:08 am »

There limits to how powerfull a charge that kind of breach can handel, for a light fast fireing gun yes but a 12 pounder No the breach will be too weak.
Now a mutiple shot Organ gun/Ribauldequin then yes, but letss say 1 pound per barrel and mounted on a chariot.

Actually, here's an example of a 12 lb breech loaded cannon from our era.

Edit: After conversing with PirateJoe, we've learned that a jump from 6 lb to 12 lb won't incur any additional difficulty, so I've gone ahead made my own version of the Hor-Aha. It's estimated difficulty is 'normal', or 'hard' at worst, and it should drastically increase our cannon's accuracy, rate of fire and safety.

Design: Hor-Aha 12 lb cannon (Nick's Variant)
Building on our experience with the Narmer 6-pound cannon, the Hor-Aha is built to be a heavier hitting piece, but also features a few general improvements and a new firring mechanism. The gun piece is built-up of a wrought-iron tube surrounded by multiple wrought-iron strengthening coils shrunk over the inner tube to keep it under compression, giving it more resistance to fatigue, deformation (making them much more resistant to bursting) and heat while reducing weight. The gun features a novel spark-lock mechanism, inspired by our flintlock rifles, in which the main charge is ignited by a quill filled with priming powder that is pushed through the touch hole during loading and pierced the cartridge bag, containing the main charge of gunpowder, can be lit by pulling a cord, allowing the operator to stand behind the gun, beyond it's range of recoil, and sight it's sights, allowing them to properly aim at the enemy before firring, increasing accuracy. This system should also increase the cannon's rate of fire and increase safety for our gunners, as the spark-lock doesn't use loose priming powder and lighting the linstock isn't necessary. It is equipped with iron sights (keeping to the same aesthetic as our infantry sights) and a quadrant allowing the guns to fire at much longer ranges accurately than currently possible. Moving away from a chariot mount, it will be attached on two reinforced wooden wheels in a carriage with a trunnion which can be locked at a certain elevation by a screw mechanism, allowing it to be angled up to 45°, and thus allowing gunners to have a wider array of ranges at which they can fire instead of the limited angle they've had before. The carriage, or mounting, also enables the barrel to be set at the elevation angle and will allow the gun to be hitched by horse as well as being moved by our troops by hand, while an iron-framed, two-wheeled limber provides the ammunition supply. The method by which the cannon is hitched doubles as a brace to reduce the movement of the gun upon firing and directing said movement upwards and then falling back into place automatically, which, coupled with the screw-lock mechanism for elevation, removes the requirement of re-aiming the gun once it had fired from the crew, increasing rate of fire.

Hor-Aha 12-pound Cannon (3): TheFantasticMrFox, Taricus, voidslayer
Hor-Aha 12-pound Cannon (Nick's) (1): Thanik
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:08:13 am by Thanik »
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2017, 09:06:18 am »

I'm terribly sorry this got posted. This was a temporary thing I wanted to keep a votebox in, but I accidentally pressed "Post" because I thought I'd been modifying the above message.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2017, 11:07:48 am »

I am for the cannon but the naming sucks..

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2017, 11:34:22 am »

Hor-Aha 12-pound Cannon (2): TheFantasticMrFox, voidslayer
Hor-Aha 12-pound Cannon (Nick's) (2): Thanik, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2017, 11:40:08 am »

Hor-Aha 12-pound Cannon (1):  voidslayer
Hor-Aha 12-pound Cannon (Nick's) (3): Thanik, Taricus, TheFantasticMrFox

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2017, 01:40:37 pm »

I'm still not sure that we have the tech to produce that level of gun, it a fair bit more advanced then our curent weapons.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2017, 03:28:48 pm »

I'm still not sure that we have the tech to produce that level of gun, it a fair bit more advanced then our curent weapons.

Can you list the reasons why you believe that? Currently, our next 12-lber can easily be the Armstrong, which was made in the 50's. All we gotta' do is get a good breech (next cannon) and we're practically there. The only reason the Hor-Aha doesn't have rifling is because it'd make it very complex.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2017, 03:43:22 pm »

Can you list the reasons why you believe that? Currently, our next 12-lber can easily be the Armstrong, which was made in the 50's. All we gotta' do is get a good breech (next cannon) and we're practically there. The only reason the Hor-Aha doesn't have rifling is because it'd make it very complex.
Mosty as built up guns are new tech and need large forge works.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2017, 05:27:35 am »

Hard: 2
Hor-Aha 12 lb cannon:
What we have made is a good cannon, no really, it is. It is accurate, loads faster and hits harder then the Narmer. Unfortunately, unlike the Narmer...it has a tendency to burst. In fact, it does this often and usually quite violently. So much so that we lost 18 people so far just testing the thing. While unsure of what exactly causes the issue, we think it has something to do with the barrel or the cannonball's we use for it. However, we are not sure, and for now we believe its a bit to dangerous to use at the moment and some more time should be spent on the project before we roll it out to our brave defenders out in the field, as we have lost enough by the enemy's hand last year, we don't need to lose any more to our own designs... Costs 2 ore, 1 wood, a few brave, poor souls to fire the thing. -Complex Expensive

It is now the revision phase, The Pharaoh hopes for better luck in your next endeavor.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Nafuna, 1893 Revision Phase
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2017, 06:17:23 am »

Revision: Hor-Aha 12 lb Cannon Safety Improvements
It was obvious to the design team that there had been an issue during the design process, in that the tube of the cannon was too thin to withstand the pressure during firring of the gun, resulting in a violent explosion most of the time. The gun barrel is made thicker and the wrought iron rings compressing and reinforcing it are made more numerous until the gun is reliable to fire. When this goal is met, an attempt at upsizing our reseph balls in the form of a shot is attempted, as well as adding rifling to one version of the cannon for added accuracy.
Noble Nafuni Engineer
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37