Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Nafuna, 1904 Battle Phase  (Read 52534 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Nafuna, 1890
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 04:26:31 pm »

Trying to revise a flintlock from a matchlock is like than trying to revise your first machinegun from a bolt action rifle.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 04:29:00 pm »

Hence why we build a flintlock rifle, and convert those into muskets. Or convert our matchlock rifles into matchlock muskets.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 04:52:02 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Pharaoh Narmer 6-pound Cannon (4): Taricus, Zanzetkuken, Talion, FallacyofUrist
Steam Corvette (2): Shadowclaw, NAV
Shrike Musket (1): Lightforger

I like the idea of getting a cannon.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 05:49:16 pm »

My vote goes to the Namer 6-pounder. Getting proper artillery will aid us in most terrain, even though it's effects in the mountains will be reduced at present. There really needs to be a clearer distinction between the different regions because, at the moment, I really don't understand what's supposed to be what with a sufficient degree of certainty to make educated decisions.

Next turn we should totally get a proper flintlock rifle, though I doubt we can have standardized ammo until industrialization happens. For our revision, I propose we decomplexify our matchlock rifles so we can field them in greater numbers as trying to move them to a different loading mechanism in a revision might be a bit odd given our starting conditions - I might be wrong on that though.

Quote from: Votes
Pharaoh Narmer 6-pound Cannon (5): Taricus, Zanzetkuken, Talion, FallacyofUrist, Thanik
Steam Corvette (2): Shadowclaw, NAV
Shrike Musket (1): Lightforger
Noble Nafuni Engineer

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 06:44:23 pm »

I support the push for 6-Pounder. Also, i think bayonet would be a good idea, as well as plate armor. or breastplates, depending on what we want to do. Also, helmets.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 08:37:44 pm »

Normal 6
Pharoah Narmer 6-Pound Cannon:
This is the first cannon produced by Nafuna and the first gunpowder using weapon made by our skilled craftsmen. It was designed after an extensive and detailed look at the guns we have and after many changes, we have managed to make a relatively light, reliable cannon made out of bronze along with chariots to carry both it and ammo and powder required for it. It can fire either a devastating barrage of scrap metal to deal with charging Karikhitan's or a lead ball for longer range that can injure, kill, or disorientate anyone nearby the location of where the shot hits. The chariot that drags it along is a bit larger then our normal chariots, and so are the chariots that carry the ammo for it, meaning that our enemy will probably make them prime targets, however, we are sure that any charge against them will lose a chunk of its impact from the scatter shot. It should also be mentioned that due to the relative simplicity compared to the rifles along with actual designs on parchment, our smiths have a much easier time making it then they do the rifles, however, that doesn't mean its not Complex. Costs 3 ore and 2 wood, Expensive.

Its now the revision phase
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Nafuna, 1890 Revision Phase
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 08:46:28 pm »

Revision: Barbed Arrows: We construct our arrowheads in such a way that they are much harder to remove from any wound they penetrate in, and cause damage in the process when they are removed.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 08:51:57 pm »

Steel Narmer: In an effort to understand the process of rifling, and to make a cannon out of stronger (if less heat resistant) materials, this varient of the Narmer uses steel rather than bronze in it's construction, and boasts a rifled barrel to aid accuracy & range.

No point in trying to make primitive weapons useful, since we're going to try making a lot more firearms next turn.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 08:56:47 pm »

I don't think we should put any effort into arrows or weapons that are going to be replaced very quickly, which arrows fall under. Instead as a Revision, I recommend we do something such as infantry equipment like shovels for trenches, bayonets for bayoneting, bandages possibly, armor or helmets, and uniforms for maneuvering.

Edit: Why don't we setup a discord for this?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:00:37 pm by TheFantasticMrFox »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 08:58:52 pm »

Uniforms might be good after we have infantry weapons, and we can likely slap in bayonets on a musket/rifle design. Same for entrenchment and the like; we need better equipment to actually make use of it at all.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 09:02:37 pm »

I seriously do not understand why any of you haven't considered combining our Chariot-Cannons and than make a Cannon with a revision that can be used on wooden ships like our current generation of river ships. We already have upgraded our land and infantry power this turn, but if the enemy tries to acquire any form of naval power and we don't developed a Cannon by revising to make it compatible with the River Ships, we will get horrible outclassed; We don't want to get steam-rolled navally this turn, so revising our Cannons to attack other seafaring ships, is the most logical of ideas. Not trying to pinhole and overly-specializing in advanced rifling for our cannons. But instead increasing their versatility of not requiring a chariot and being able to be used on a naval-faring boat. Having superior naval power means that we have further routes of flanking, more reinforcements, and dominance over the islands. The same is true if we get outclassed by our enemies, in naval force.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:06:21 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 09:11:15 pm »

If they try to steam-roll us on the seas this turn they're going to get steamrolled on land by us. Fair trade to me. More to the point I'm presuming the cannons are eminently usable on the ships, or at least can be modified to be so on a ship design.

But working on the navy prior to industrialisation is a bit of a dead-end given that we only have age of sail technology for it. Better to wait until we have steam engines and better artillery so that we can crank out the ironclads.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 09:18:40 pm »

The cannons we made should already be usable on our river ships it's only a 6 pounder. In comparison naval cannon of late 18th century where in the 18-36 pound range.

Squall Musket
A quick and dirty conversion of the complex and difficult to make matchlock rifle, the squall uses a simple smoothbore iron barrel. To further reduce the cost of creation the back of the musket uses a single piece bronze 'receiver' with the powder tray already included removing the need to bore it out. The two pieces are then slotted together. While vastly cheaper we did figure out why the rifling was there on the musket. The squall is much less accurate at medium to long range although about the same at short range.

An easy half step to the strike

Quote from: Revision Votes
Squall Musket (1): Lightforger
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:24:16 pm by Light forger »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 09:21:06 pm »

Edit: Why don't we setup a discord for this?

There's one linked in the main shared thread.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 11:58:47 pm »

Why not fix the one (or two) issues with our current rifle?

Hooded Matchlock Rifle

A simple addition of a bronze hood to protect the weapon's wick from rain or splashed water while still allowing oxygen in.  We also experiment with a few different combinations of oil and chemicals to allow the wick to burn even in humid conditions.  This will allow the matchlock to function in rainy or misty conditions while eliminating illumination of the user during the night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37