Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37

Author Topic: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Nafuna, 1904 Battle Phase  (Read 52558 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Nafuna, 1897 Design Phase
« Reply #330 on: November 27, 2017, 12:03:40 am »

Machine gun is a good one, something new and we can still revise our cannon.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 27, 2017, 01:35:46 pm »

Carrera Series 3 Model 2 Machinerevolver
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 27, 2017, 01:44:23 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Carrera Series 3 Model 1 Machinegun (1): Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 27, 2017, 03:27:35 pm »

Carrera Series 3 Model 1 Machinegun (2): Taricus, Thanik,
Carrera Series 3 Model 2 Machinegun (2): Funk, Mandemon
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 27, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »

Carrera Series 3 Model 1 Machinegun (2): Taricus, Thanik,
Carrera Series 3 Model 2 Machinegun (3): Funk, Mandemon, NAV
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 27, 2017, 07:50:21 pm »

Wadjet Light Cruiser
The wadjet cruiser is designed to bring us at least half way to a proper modern navy. Due to our limited knowledge of metal construction the wadjet has wood hulled with floating steel framed. The frame insn't physically attached to the wooden hull and instead relies on friction, inertia and a tight fit to be more or less static.  This means we don't have to worry about wood erosion or metal corrosion causing leaks. Designed to be fast the wadjet is powered by a pair of triple expansion boilers. Trusting in our engineers(in spite of their last performance) the ship discards sails outright with, the two engine offer some redundancy if one breaks. During normal operation only one engine is used with other other being kept warm(quite literally) and, during combat both are used to achieve speeds far in excess of any vessel we or the enemy has. The ship is armed with a total of 6(4 fore, 2 aft) cannon mounted on manually operated turrets. This turrets are little more then a large gun shield and a cannon mount on a circularly crank rail. Design to fit our new cannon but, currently mounting a Hor-Aha in the mean time, each turret has a small ammo cask and is sightly raised from the rest of the deck. No really using 'all or nothing' since it's more or less unarmored the ship does have a reinforced ammo vault, it's coal bunker is located below the water line and, the engine room has a few steel plated buffer room(both to stop shells and to be used to lock it down in case of a fire).

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 27, 2017, 07:54:38 pm »

Carrera Series 3 Model 1 Machinegun (3): Taricus, Thanik, TFF
Carrera Series 3 Model 2 Machinegun (3): Funk, Mandemon, NAV

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 28, 2017, 05:12:07 pm »

Carrera Series 3 Model 2 Machinegun (4): Funk, Mandemon, NAV, Talion

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 28, 2017, 07:35:57 pm »

Samir Mark 1 Ultra-Light-Repeating-Artillery
Designed to bring artillery close enough to deafen near by riflemen. The ULRA is a gas-delayed blowback machine gun cambered in a .4x4.5 inch round. The weapon is cycled by a short gas piston camming a rotating bolt and then the residue gas pressure in the chamber cycling the weapon. Fearing poor ammo quality would cause issues the system is designed to be much more tolerance of poor ammo quality then even a simple blowback. Although due to the weapon needing to overcome the inertia of two spring systems it's fire rate is quite sluggish.  It's feed from a top mounted 20 round box magazine and eject out the bottom. The magazine for the most part feeds only with gravity but, a light spring is included to insure reliability. True to it's name the machine gun is meant to be used like light artillery sitting 50-100m behind the main firing line and smiting anything that dares to poke it's head up. To allow solider to make full use of it's cartridge it also includes a mounting for a scope and a gas cut off letting the user manually cycle the weapon. In the field it's makes use of a three man crew with one poor sod lugging around the 65 something pound gun, another carrying a tri-pod and ammo and, the final man carrying as much ammo has he can bear. While not quite has big as the .50 caliber machine in used elsewhere the .40 caliber round is more then able to pulp anything it hits up to and including horses.

Samir Mark 1 Ultra-Light-Repeating-Artillery (1): Lightforger

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 29, 2017, 05:11:51 pm »

Given the lack of an appropriate machine gun description, I tried my hand at bunching up some advantages others forgot. Credit goes to Mandemon and Funk for bringing my attention to the poor formatting of the original. I should add that the design is confirmed to be of the same difficulty as the Model 1 and 2, so it's a valid contender for the design, while also giving us several nice additions to supplement it's performance.

Reseph Sekhmeth Series 1 Rapid Repeater Rifle

After years of weapons development and experimentation, Reseph decided to try his hand at another government contract to prove his worth  after being bested for the last two years - this time in a field he'd only dabbled in. The contract was for a rapid fire repeating rifle meant to mow down enemy troops. Building off the experience gained from working on the Akar, Vizier and various prototypes onwards, a new action had been developed for the weapon where-in the firearm's own recoil forces the barrel and bolt to recoil together a short distance before they unlock and separate (short recoil action). The barrel stops quickly, and the bolt continues rearward, compressing the recoil spring and performing the automated extraction and feeding process, with the spent casings ejected to the right of the weapon. During the last portion of its forward travel, the bolt locks into the barrel and pushes the barrel back into battery, while the firing pin is part of the bolt, saving on manufacturing costs and the inertia of the bolt closing also causes the fixed firing pin to strike a blow on the primer, without need for a separate hammer/striker and spring, increasing rate of fire.

To facilitate this high rate of fire, the weapon has a so-called belt feeding mechanism, where a triangular, riveted 250 round belt holding the R.305S97 cartridge (noted below, in a spoiler) in open fabric pockets woven together and interlinked with two staples near the case mouth and two stitches on the case body is inserted into the left side of the feed system with the projectiles pointing toward the muzzle and pulled by the tab from the right side until the first cartridge depresses and passes over the spring loaded belt holding which keeps the belt from falling out of the weapon while it is cycling. To produce a sturdier and more uniform pocket for the cartridges, the edges are are additionally reinforced with wire and by crossing the threads. The belt comes packaged in rugged, convenient, re-sealable, weatherproof containers that are easy to hand-transport and can be opened without the use of tools, with the contents ready to be fed directly into the weapon - making it easier for gun crew to reload the gun, carry the ammo and use it reliably.

The basic idea behind the pockets is that the machine will force the cartridge pocket open and hold it open by clamping the belt in the proper position while pushing the cartridge into place. The belt is also made to feature a buckle tab on one end marked with black stitching, with the entire belt denoted by it's round count and cartridge used. Upon loading, the first cartridge ends up against the extractor. The weapon is loaded when the operator pulls and releases a bolt handle which advances the belt and places a cartridge under the extractor.  This operation is known as the "half load", next the bolt handle is pulled and released again which advances the belt and places the first cartridge in the chamber, the second cartridge under the extractor. This second operation of the bolt is called the 'full load", and after it's completion the weapon is ready to fire. The way the belt is set up, additional belts can be linked onto each other by placing the tab over the last round in the receiving belt, effectively connecting the two, allowing for either prolonged continuous fire or longer burst fire without needing to worry about reloading in the heat of battle.

A jacket filled with oil surrounds the barrel, enabling longer sustained fire compared to air-cooled weapons, and slightly more than water-cooled weapons, while also acting as a lubricant and preventing corrosion. Additionally, a muzzle booster is constructed - a shroud intended to harness the energy of the escaping propellant to augment the force of recoil on portions of the firearm (the barrel and the bolt), while increasing reliability and rate of fire by directing some of the escaping gas into pushing the barrel back rather than letting it all expand outwards at the muzzle, in essence acting as an auxiliary gas-operating system, with the barrel acting the role of the operating rod.

The weapon's intended to be carried by a three man team, with one carrying the weapon, while two others carry a tripod fixture and several belts of the weapon's ammunition. The tripod in question includes a traversal and elevation mechanism to aid in aiming and so gunners spend less time calibrating for distance in combat. A simple iron sight is also attached to the top of the weapon to aid in aiming. The weapon is to be 44 inches long, with a barrel measuring 29.53 inches in length, rifling of one turn per 13 inches and is to weight no more than thirty five pounds without the tripod.

Spoiler: R.305S97-RBT-RRRC (click to show/hide)

Carrera Series 3 Model 1 Machinegun (2): Taricus, TFF
Reseph Sekhmeth Series 1 Rapid Repeater Rifle (1): Thanik
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:48:40 pm by Thanik »
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 29, 2017, 05:24:20 pm »

punctuation it's your friend becuse that is really hard to read.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 29, 2017, 06:13:45 pm »

Carrera Series 3 Model 1 Machinegun (4): Taricus, Thanik, TFF, Zanzetkuken
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 29, 2017, 06:39:32 pm »

Carrera Series 3 Model 1 Machinegun (3): Taricus, TFF, Zanzetkuken
Fixed the vote.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 30, 2017, 07:32:34 am »

I'd urge you guys to take a look at the Sekhmeth and give me an opinion. I'm ok with people not liking the design but I'd hate for it to be discarded for being added a bit later or because people don't want to vote again.

It's key features and improvements they bring have been highlighted where mentioned and any feedback on the design is welcome.

I, personally, feel like the Model 1 and 2 aren't giving us as much benefit as they could, and since I'm more oriented towards a bolt-action machine gun than the revolver setup the M2 uses, I made the Sekhmeth to contest the M1, featuring overall clearer instructions and added gear that benefits it's operation.

I dislike the Samir for the simple reason of not thinking it's trying hard enough. The ammunition box will require frequent reloading, in addition to jamming due to misaligned rounds more frequently. The range stated is seriously small, but even if you take that detail out, the round's effectiveness can be reached by an optimized .305, as in the Sekhmeth. I also just generally dislike the fact the round's a strange attempt at something between an HMG and a GPMG, while not being really good at either, while the S97 is meant to be a good GPMG cartridge evolved from our rifle rounds. The short gas blowback action is a weird choice for a machine gun, mostly because it's mainly used on SMGs, and the fire rate is listed to be slow - so one can expect a ROF of around 250-300 RPM compared to the 500-600 RPM all the other listed designs aim for. I'll add that I like the mention of a scope mounting and a gas cutoff, but I think the other issues, as well as the overestimated weight, offset their contribution compared to the other designs listed.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 30, 2017, 04:50:23 pm »

As I said in the discord, my biggest problem with the Sekhmeth is the new ammo it uses, which will introduce logistics problems. And that is symptomatic of the min-maxing of your designs. We can't just keep making new types of ammo in a similar calibre, that will choke up our supply lines and there is likely to be incidents in which the wrong ammo is used due to their similar size.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37