Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What are your gaming quirks?  (Read 2799 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: What are your gaming quirks?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 02:07:00 am »

I'm pretty sure most gamers have the hoarding issue, especially older-ish ones. There's been a lot of stuff over the years that trains you hard to loot everything to the ground and never let go of anything whatsoever, while simultaneously never really being difficult enough you need the shiniest of macguffins to save you. So you compulsively collect them and never use them. It's a vicious cycle.*

*E: ... that said, did you know you end up with around two or three thousand gold if you vendor everything in morrowind's starting town? Because you do. Strip enough houses of their cutlery and pillows and it adds up.

Especially old games which went all "That item you started with? It's used to create a powerful artifact towards the end of the game. I still have a habit of not selling starting items because of that, and I'm sure it was only because of one game that did this but that's all it took.
Something like this was in Divinity 2. You could use Malachite gems to get the most powerful enchantments and they were limited in number but the game lists them as just gemstones like all the others. They sell for a lot too so you need to know before hand that they're limited. Baldur's Gate 2 also had Rogue Stones with a similar purpose in creating artifacts.

In ARPGs I keep a copy of every epic and unique item I find, only selling duplicates. Even if they're for classes I don't have characters for.
Hm, I tend to ignore quests given by NPCs who off load them on you first thing they say to you. "Hey shopkeeper." "Oh it's terrible. My store was broken into, go find my Mcguffin in yonder cave." Skyrim does this a lot and it puts me off talking to random NPCs.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 02:23:49 am »

Failed turtling, oh god. Especially in multiplayer RTS. I build stone walls around my base, stuffing it with units, and not even thinking about any serious attack before i do this. When someone allow me to do this, then attacks, it turns out that.
1. Walls are utter garbage in this game and get destroyed by 1-2 shots from a cannon, of which opponent have hundreds( i'm looking at you, Cossacks!)
2. I somehow didn't have nearly enough units to protect myself against attack. What a twist.
3. Game not about this at all. It's about making as much units as possible and throw them at enemy!(ANY RTS, if it's not Anno 1404 or something like that)
Then i don't even try to play in multiplayer in this RTS again.
If it's not RTS, i'm just playing defensively. And it's very sick and gimmicky kind of defensive.

Second one - never ever EVER learning how to play properly. There a people a lot worse then me, but i never can get better then "below average middle" in any game. I played more then 100 hours total as spy in team fortress( not in one install-delete game cicle, of course), but never was really skilled.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That means, I either play the support classes/characters, or opt in for more support-oriented items/loadouts/playstyles.
Sorry for total offtopic, but you reminded me
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:38:34 am by MCreeper »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 04:34:15 am »

Oh, and I'm a huge fan of shotguns and sniper rifles in shooters. I like shotguns due to being extremely lethal in close quarters, and I like sniper rifles for stealthy takedowns of the enemies. I'm bad at sniping, but there's nothing more satisfying than seeing an exploded/blood-covered head of your enemy from a distance.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 04:46:23 am »

I would have to say fast learning. This is probably a byproduct of being able to retain knowledge quite well, I'll read something once or figure out a game mechanic and I'll remember it years later. Quite notably 12 years ago when I first played eve online, after a month I ran out of game mechanics to learn. Another example was league of legends, where I was frequently matched with long playing players quite early on. The main downside I've had with this is not being able to put the knowledge of a game mechanic into practice, but that is something I've worked on and gotten quite a bit better at.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

newsamsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 07:10:32 am »

If there is a random generated map,I'll make sure it 100% revealed.
And DF is one of those games that makes me give up.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 07:48:11 am »

this one might be veering into "gaming preferences" but i do enjoy games where i can build a base to stay safe from the scary outside.

biggest example is The Forest. if you're outside a camp or not isolated on the boat at night, you might run into some scary cannibals and at the beginning of the game, that's almost a death sentence.

i also enjoy making them elaborate.

the forest lets you make them only so complicated, but 7 days to die lets me make the zombie base of my dreams, or turn an existing building into one. 7dtd also lets me make awesome roof gardens to grow corn. nothing but corn.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 10:14:39 am »

I have noticed a quirk of mine that is specifically related to the DCS world flight simulator. I tend to fly far too close to the ground targets, and rely an awful lot of my cannon.

I do not have to fly so close, I know. I am flying a modern Su 25T, with laser-guided missiles and ECM-pods and what-not. I could knock the target out from far. But I do not. I want to dive close, I want to see the white in their eyes! I want to hear the roar of cannon fire! And that, of course, will usually get me killed. Sometimes, I am knocked out from the blast of my own ordnance, and if that is not danger-close, I do not know what is.

I believe this is because I played an awful lot of IL-2 Sturmovik when I was younger. Old habits do indeed die hard. I rather like the idea, though. An old veteran IL-2 pilot of the Great Patriotic War, being put in a modern attack aeroplane. "Why, what do I need these new-fangled missiles for, when I have my cannon? Have at thee!"

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 10:32:14 am »

In most strategy games I turtle up and then steamroll everything. Nothing quite says "You took too long to kill me!" like 100 scrin PACs insta-killing everything in their path.

I do like hoarding in most other games, though its not loot everything in sight but more loot every weapon/armour/potion/spellbook in sight. If its a building game I try and build underground or into a mountainside/cliffside before sprawling overground.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 02:30:16 pm »

I always end up chewing gently the inner side of my cheek... dont ask why i have no frigging idea and it bothers me too.

Game wise, im a hoarder, i tend to never buy anything and tell myself ill save for better items. Then said better item comes around... rinse repeat, ill keep in case something better arrive.

Same goes for limited skills, or 2min + cooldown skills, i never use them.. not because i dont want, but because, gneh i can manage it without, ill keep it as a getthefocout skill if things get jairy, and even when it does... i tend to wait just in case it could get worse.... wich end up being me dead in a corner telling myself why didnt i use it?!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 03:47:53 pm »

Massively Disproportionate Retribution.  Oh RTS AI?  You sent a small assault force to cause me some trouble?  Have an endless wall of armor and gun in return.  Hey mister NPC, you're going to be an asshat?  Kiss your entire family/town/city/civilization goodbye.  There are very important reasons I don't do any form of competitive multiplayer, it gets extremely unpleasant.

Efficiency is for boring min-maxers.  I don't care if my method isn't 'optimal' I'm here to play a game, not manage a goddamn spreadsheet.  The asinine trend in recent turn based 4X games to either bug me about having idle factories/whatever or worse still FORCE me to have those factories produce something pisses me off to no end.

Yes I can get a vehicle in there.  If you don't find some way of forcing me to not use a vehicle, I WILL find a way to get it in there.  Famously, my scarab assault in HALO 2 invariably features a warthog jump onto the deck, followed by endless chaingun fire into every enemy stupid enough to pop their heads out.

Defensive warfare.  I tend to turtle behind massive defenses and steadily build up in 4X and RTSs, and generally am content to just tech up to endgame levels without bothering anyone.

One shot one kill.  Sadly most games don't actually reward players for being great shots, but I hate having to waste ammo and I'd prefer to eliminate as many targets as possible before having to close in against heavy-hitters.

Shotguns are terrible weapons.  I hate them.  I will do everything in my power to avoid using them, no matter how stupidly OP a game makes them.

All skill, no skills.  I didn't mind using spells and abilities in turn based RPGs, but all these idiotic MMO inspired cooldown powers anger me greatly.  I killed the archfiend with basic combos.  I bring down BAMs without touching a hotkey.

Inverted aim.  The stick is in the back of my character's head, I push up I look down, I pull down I look up.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 04:33:54 pm »

Im a moderately aggressive player, a holdover from magic the gathering: if ive got a blocker/defensive unit or bonus, ill swing out with the rest of my units for days.
Im also a fan of the simple tactics: real men fight it out. You can be smart, play to your strengths, but lobbing artillery or causing an opponent to mill themselves aint my style.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 04:45:53 pm »

-snip-
Yes I can get a vehicle in there.  If you don't find some way of forcing me to not use a vehicle, I WILL find a way to get it in there.  Famously, my scarab assault in HALO 2 invariably features a warthog jump onto the deck, followed by endless chaingun fire into every enemy stupid enough to pop their heads out.
-snip-

Sounds about right! If there is no in-game law of physics denying me the right of vehicular entry, *there shall be a vehicle*. Seriously though, basically all of Halo.

Got any other shooters/games that allow you to drive vehicles like Halo does?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 04:52:31 pm »

I have seen some crazy parking in Planetside 2, Infantry only areas where the attackers or defenders have managed to get Sunderers deployed or on top of rooftops/impassible cliffs because they drove onto a Galaxy transport's roof and slowly got flown up there, MBTs too, nothing quite as hard as attacking a clifftop which has deployed sunderers and TR MBTs because they will shoot aircraft accurately.

Wouldn't surprise me if other games have had this happen. Love doing it myself too.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 09:58:56 pm »

Sniper rifles are for wimps who can't fight face-to-face! It's one thing to be sneaky about murdering everyone before you, but it's another one to do so from the safety of a nearby hill! Disgusting.
Basically blood for the blood god etc. Melee weapons, shotguns as melee weapons, ripping and tearing huge guts. You know the deal.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 10:14:38 pm »

Often the very first thing that comes to mind when I start playing a game is whether it's Turing-complete; that is, whether it's possible to construct something that could be considered a computer in it. If it isn't Turing-complete, it's usually not worth my time.  :P
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3