Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What are your gaming quirks?  (Read 2800 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
What are your gaming quirks?
« on: October 20, 2017, 11:22:58 am »

So, I thought it would be nice to make a thread where you can tell about your gaming quirks. So, yeah, here we go!

First of all, a couple of rules:
1st rule: Your quirks can be limited to a game/genre, not just all-encompassing, abstract gaming quirks. You are still free to tell about your abstract gaming quirks.
2nd rule: Follow the forum guidelines, of course!

To give you an example of a gaming quirk, here's my quirk below:
I'm very greedy when it comes to spending money.
While it is very common occurrence that you'll be drowning in money in the late-game, I don't like paying a lot of the dosh, even for a really good/urgently needed item. If I see the item, I'll try to minimize the cost (or even completely take all of the vendor's money) by selling various loot to the vendor as a money counterweight.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are your gaming quirks?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 11:53:34 am »

Super Jew when it comes to monies. 
Usually to my own detriment, unless I know without a doubt the investment will pay out.

Chronic Hoarder
I take everything and don't even think of selling the stuff just in case.  Unless I get hit by inventory management/it is clearly marked useless trash.
Potions, I don't use them either, unless I figure that the availability of said potion is abundant and not expensive, cause super jew.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 12:02:52 pm »

I'm awful with hoarding. In games like Fallout 4, I have to make frequent stops to my main base because my inventory is full of junk. It's not just useful stuff like aluminum and adhesive, either - I always end up with a ton of rubber, asbestos, and other stuff that's everywhere but not used all that often.

In stealth-based games, I always take the silent nonlethal route if possible. Sure, I could attack head-on and shoot everyone, but it's much more satisfying to walk right next to all the guards and never let them know you came.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 12:20:02 pm »

In open-solutions games were you can be stealthy (Deus Ex, watch dogs, Hitman,...) I always try to be stealthy, but I'm never patient enough to learn the patrol routes of the guards, and I often fail to do the "silenced pistol headshots" that are the common trope silent executions.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 02:03:53 pm »

I have an extremely low tolerance for NPCs being jerks to me. If any NPC acts full of themselves or says something rude, I will inevitably find a very creative way to make sure they're dead before I leave the area. It takes very little for me to pass judgment (this might be most gamers, though, I don't know).

Conversely, I have a protective instinct toward NPCs who show weakness or helplessness, even if they're not on my side. In Divinity Original Sin 2, my friend ran into a blinded magister, failed to persuade him, and ended up in a fight. He was about to kill the magister, but I would not let him strike down a helpless blind man, even if said blind man was trying to take off our heads with a sword. I teleported my friend far, far away from the guy, ordered him to flee, and fled myself. I then came back, handed the now very upset magister a bunch of free stuff to make him like me, and persuaded him to leave the woods and retreat to safety.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 02:24:01 pm »

im oddly caring and protective of npc followers in any game: i literally took a blade to the face for an ork follower in shadow of war cuz he was almost downed. fallout 4 i'll let brotherhood helis crash and burn but if i pass a minutemen patrol getting waylaid, i instantly dash into action.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 02:33:27 pm »

I try to keep my inventory, especially open world games like STALKER, Fallout, Cataclysm, or TES, as close to empty as I possibly can. I constantly dump things back at base, sell them off (at a pittance if need be), use them as fuel, or just outright dump them on the ground. Partly because it's immersion breaking to me for my character to be walking cross-country with 250lbs of gear on their back all stuffed into a backpack the size of a backyard swimming pool, but more so because I just don't like scrolling through a whole bunch of garbage and I want to ration more valuable stuff so I don't use it all in one excursion.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 06:56:34 pm »

The unholy trifecta for DCSS: I absolutely hate using consumables, I enjoy high-risk maneuvers, and I strive for 100% completion.

Which probably explains why I have like a .05% winrate, but the majority of my wins are 12-15 runes.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 08:14:44 pm »

I hoard so, so much. Depending on the game I won't even get rid of old weapons if they're interesting or if they served me well.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 08:41:00 pm »

If I have the ability to move bodies, I will arrange them nice and organized, usually in the order I killed/knocked out/etc the guys... Made for a lot of interesting moments in Splinter Cell.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 08:43:14 pm »

• Ultra-hoarder: If it fits, it gets lugged back to base. I once spent weeks meticulously organizing every book in the game on the infamous bugged bookshelf in Oblivion. In alphabetical and colorcoded order, with a preference for large to small volume. Yeah... THAT bugged bookshelf. The magical exploding fuck-you bookshelf. I tried to get around the bug and re-stocked the shelf half a dozen times before I ragequit the game and started over a year later.
  • Hyper-empathetic: always get myself into trouble helping random people, just like real life. I will never learn my lesson.
  • Selective buyer: if I really like it, I will go into debt to buy it. Otherwise, default to mega-jew penny hoarding.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 08:54:02 pm »

Seems we are all kind of alike, i too hoard items, usually trying not to use potions and such unless extremely necesary.
Also i always try to take the "wrong" route first, as to explore 100% of the level and get the all the classical goodies that they hide there (just to hoard, never to use them).
If its a stealth game i always try to do the ghost/no killing route.
If its a multiplayer game i usually reaserch it so my knowledge of my role usually surpases my gameplay abilites at least when im starting. 
I also mostly play as the good guy in RPGs, even to the degree of letting them keep the quest reward even tough their virtual wealth means nothing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 10:36:26 pm »

I'm pretty sure most gamers have the hoarding issue, especially older-ish ones. There's been a lot of stuff over the years that trains you hard to loot everything to the ground and never let go of anything whatsoever, while simultaneously never really being difficult enough you need the shiniest of macguffins to save you. So you compulsively collect them and never use them. It's a vicious cycle.*

... in any case, I think about the closest thing I have to a persistent quirk these days is naming characters something traditionally inflicted on their opposite gender. Not an always thing, but... very common. At my laziest I default to naming guys Jill and ladyfolk Jack. It's a hobby, I guess.

Second closest would probably be a fairly low bar (at least relative to when I was younger) for deciding to slap a game in the face with a twelve inch cheat engine. Memory editors have made that sort of thing so much easier nowadays, so if a particular feature annoys me in a game I otherwise like, I tend to just... fix... the nuisance factor.

*E: ... that said, did you know you end up with around two or three thousand gold if you vendor everything in morrowind's starting town? Because you do. Strip enough houses of their cutlery and pillows and it adds up.

E2: though that did remind me, there is a third notable I can recall. Occasionally I'll fixate on a specific item or category of items, and either hang onto one forever (Voidspire Tactics was one of the more recent ones I played through where I did that) or collect basically every one of them I encounter. Elderscrolls games are easily the most prominent offenders on that front. I compulsively loot every light source I can find, because for whatever reason it amuses me to filch a lantern from behind a guard while yelling something along the lines of, "I am the thief of light!" in my head.

Well remember one time I took the time to do it and absolutely blanketed a building in purloined lighting. One of those shacks in the starting town, iirc. Every available surface had lights on it. Roof, encircling the building, everything you could stick one on inside. Torches, lanterns, if it glowed it was included. It was a good run, that one.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:51:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 12:26:44 am »

Obsessive Compulsive Reloading Disorder in FPS.

In strategic games, if I have to study my last save to get back to a game I'll usually pass and start again, that condemns me to playing early game over and over again and never reaching mid and late game.

I refuse to play RPGs and survival games without procedurally generated content.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:32:42 am by kulik »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 12:37:16 am »

I mean first of all, I game on Linux and have a "no tux == no bux" policy (as in, I don't buy games unless they explicitly support Linux natively, and don't consider WINE or dual-booting a solution.).
(Although I gotta say, I really AM tempted to do that sometimes - specifically for Cogmind...)

In multiplayer games, I'm kind of a second banana if the game allows for it.
That means, I either play the support classes/characters, or opt in for more support-oriented items/loadouts/playstyles.
I don't know, I'm just really bad at being at the frontlines, and don't exactly enjoy the pressure that puts on me, so I just tend to hang back and let more competent people do the killing while I keep them alive/buffed/whatever.

Also, I cannot stand numbers-heavy-yet-fast-paced games. This includes most classic-style roguelikes and RPGs, MOBAs, and ESPECIALLY MMORPGs.
(Though any game with a sufficiently cluttered UI can fall into that category, really.)
Pages: [1] 2 3